It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Go in Virginia's "Northern Neck"
Post #1 Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:01 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
KGS: Ctenophor5
Hi all. I am new here, but have played Go on and off for a few years. Recently a small group of folks has started meeting weekly in Heathsville Virginia. While we are not particularly strong players, we are certainly enthusiasic! :D

Right now we are meeting on Tuesdays. Meetings are always posted to our Meetup site:
http://northumberland-go-club.org/

Post subject: Re: Go in Virginia's "Northern Neck"
Post #2 Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:30 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
Wrong end of VA for me. In fact, it is so far out I am surprised there are enough people for a club. But good luck, and I admire your optimistic attitude on the web page when you say "Founded May 16, 2014". Obviously you intend to be there for the long haul.

Post subject: Re: Go in Virginia's "Northern Neck"
Post #3 Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:50 pm 
Beginner

DrStraw wrote:
In fact, it is so far out I am surprised there are enough people for a club. But good luck, and I admire your optimistic attitude on the web page when you say "Founded May 16, 2014". Obviously you intend to be there for the long haul.

Hehe, well believe me, nobody was more surprised than I when I found out there was a Go club down the road! It is very rural here.

The "founded" text is automatically put in there by Meetup (what we use for the site). I have no idea what will happen in a year, but right now we are having lively games once a week. ^_^

Post subject: Re: Go in Virginia's
Post #4 Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:52 am 
Oza

Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
Ctenny wrote:
DrStraw wrote:
In fact, it is so far out I am surprised there are enough people for a club. But good luck, and I admire your optimistic attitude on the web page when you say "Founded May 16, 2014". Obviously you intend to be there for the long haul.

Hehe, well believe me, nobody was more surprised than I when I found out there was a Go club down the road! It is very rural here.

The "founded" text is automatically put in there by Meetup (what we use for the site). I have no idea what will happen in a year, but right now we are having lively games once a week. ^_^

How rural? I live in a VA county with only one traffic light in the entire country. Can you beat that. :) .

Post #5 Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:53 am 
Oza

DrStraw wrote:
Ctenny wrote:
DrStraw wrote:

How rural? I live in a VA county with only one traffic light in the entire country. Can you beat that? Of course, we don't have a go club, Virginia Tech being the closest. :) .

Post #6 Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:39 pm 
Beginner

DrStraw wrote:
How rural? I live in a VA county with only one traffic light in the entire country. Can you beat that? Of course, we don't have a go club, Virginia Tech being the closest. :) .

I can think of 5 traffic lights, so I guess you win. ^_^

I used to live outside of Newport Virginia, right by the Giles / Craig county border. Not many traffic lights out that way (and not far from Tech).

If you are ever over here on the eastern side of the state in the "tidewater", come play a game with us!

Post #7 Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:58 pm 
Oza

Ctenny wrote:
DrStraw wrote:

I can think of 5 traffic lights, so I guess you win. ^_^

I used to live outside of Newport Virginia, right by the Giles / Craig county border. Not many traffic lights out that way (and not far from Tech).

If you are ever over here on the eastern side of the state in the "tidewater", come play a game with us!

I'm in Floyd.

Post #8 Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:28 pm 
Beginner

DrStraw wrote:
I'm in Floyd.

Sorry, we might have more traffic lights, but all of the counties on the "northern neck" (Richmond Co, Lancaster Co, Northumberland Co) have smaller populations than Floyd.

Enjoy the mountains. I miss them. :mrgreen: