It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cosumi
Post #1 Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:58 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Hi there. Have been playing Cosumi Go (http://www.cosumi.net/en/) and it's not bad, but can't find much critical info on it. I'd like to know how people evaluate it against other online computer go sets. Also about what rank would you assess Cosumi?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Cosumi
Post #2 Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:05 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
Never seen it before. I played it a 9x9 on the highest level and won by 16.5 points and on the next highest level I won by 36.5 point. So I guess it is not too strong.

Last edited by DrStraw on Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post #3 Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:09 pm 
Beginner

DrStraw wrote:
Never seen it before. I played it a 9x9 on the highest level and won by 16.5 points so I guess it is not too strong.

Can you try 13x13 ?

Post #4 Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:32 pm 
Oza

Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
The thing is so slow I don't know if I have the time or patience to try 13x13. And certainly not 19x19.

Post #5 Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:39 pm 
Beginner

DrStraw wrote:
The thing is so slow I don't know if I have the time or patience to try 13x13. And certainly not 19x19.

Okay. It's very quick when I play, less than 1 sec per move. I think I'm not as good as I thought I was at go because it beats me more than half the time 13x13 how sad...

:sad:

Post #6 Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:59 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
I beat it even on 19x19 by 95 points. Somewhat hard to gauge level from that as I stopped trying much after a big kill, but maybe 5k?

Post #7 Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:07 pm 
Beginner

Definitely not as good as I thought I was then... Had rarely played online or computer go.

Can I ask a recommended place to play online with people and get a sense of my rank, as I'm very curious now.

Post #8 Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:47 pm 
Oza

MDP wrote:
Definitely not as good as I thought I was then... Had rarely played online or computer go.

Can I ask a recommended place to play online with people and get a sense of my rank, as I'm very curious now.

KGS for real time and DGS for turn-based.

Post #9 Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:56 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
DrStraw wrote:
Never seen it before. I played it a 9x9 on the highest level and won by 16.5 points and on the next highest level I won by 36.5 point. So I guess it is not too strong.

Assuming the highest level of cosumi is always stronger than the previous level, by induction you'd beat God by 354.5 points

Post #10 Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:33 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
DrStraw wrote:
MDP wrote:

KGS for real time and DGS for turn-based.

☯GS for both :-) OGS — Online Go Server

Regards, Tom

Post #11 Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:15 am 
Lives in sente

Was liked: 180
If you can afford to use your internet connection for the purpose, there are servers offering games between humans (or bots) of which KGS is an example.

If you can't afford to do that (I can't for example, just one phone line here) there are perhaps stronger free programs you might try depending on your hardware and operating system. And there are certainly stronger programs available for a price (again perhaps subject to operating system limitations as might not be available for yours).

Post #12 Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:38 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 114
Was liked: 176
RBerenguel wrote:
DrStraw wrote:

Assuming the highest level of cosumi is always stronger than the previous level, by induction you'd beat God by 354.5 points

I had to read this three times before I understood your confusion. In common English usage the expression "next highest" does not mean one step higher, it means one step lower. Sort of like "penultimate" does not mean later or greater but one before the last.

English is full of strange expressions that most native speakers never notice are ambiguous or silly. For your amusement: http://www.gray-area.org/Research/Ambig/

This post by Aidoneus was liked by: Bonobo

Post #13 Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:42 am 
Gosei

Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
Aidoneus wrote:
RBerenguel wrote:
DrStraw wrote:

I had to read this three times before I understood your confusion. In common English usage the expression "next highest" does not mean one step higher, it means one step lower. Sort of like "penultimate" does not mean later or greater but one before the last.

English is full of strange expressions that most native speakers never notice are ambiguous or silly. For your amusement: http://www.gray-area.org/Research/Ambig/

I wasn't confused, I know this weird gradation in English (in Spanish it is actually similarly formed, so it's probably common among many languages?), just wanted to add a minor joke to the conversation using the fact that indeed, English is quite a weird language and DrS a mathematician

This post by RBerenguel was liked by: Bonobo

Post #14 Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:15 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 114
Was liked: 176
RBerenguel wrote:
Aidoneus wrote:

I wasn't confused, I know this weird gradation in English (in Spanish it is actually similarly formed, so it's probably common among many languages?), just wanted to add a minor joke to the conversation using the fact that indeed, English is quite a weird language and DrS a mathematician[/quote]

Ahh, I didn't realize that it was deliberate malapropism for the sake of a math joke. :lol:

Q: How many mathematicians does it take to change a light bulb?
A: One: she gives it to three physicists, thus reducing it to a problem that has already been solved.
#########################

A physicist, a biologist, and a mathematician are sitting on a bench across from a house. They watch as two people go into the house, and then a little later, three people walk out.

The physicist says, "The initial measurement was incorrect."

The biologist says, "They must have reproduced."

And the mathematician says, "If exactly one person enters that house, it will be empty."

##################

Infinitely many mathematicians walk into a bar. The first says, "I'll have a beer." The second says, "I'll have half a beer." The third says, "I'll have a quarter of a beer." The barman pulls out just two beers. The mathematicians are all like, "That's all you're giving us? How drunk do you expect us to get on that?" The bartender says, "Come on guys. Know your limits."

#####################

An infinite number of mathematicians walk into a bar. The first one orders a beer. The second orders half a beer. The third orders a third of a beer. The bartender bellows, "Get the hell out of here, are you trying to ruin me?"
##################

For my math students:
"Quapropter bono christiano, sive mathematici, sive quilibet impie divinantium, maxime dicentes vera, cavendi sunt, ne consortio daemoniorum animam deceptam, pacto quodam societatis irretiant."
("Thus the good christian should beware of mathematicians and all those who make false prophecies, however much they may in fact speak the truth; lest, being in league with the devil, they may deceive errant souls into making common cause.")
Augustinus (De genesis ad literam, Liber 2, Caput XVII, Nr. 37)

This post by Aidoneus was liked by: Bonobo

Post #15 Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:38 am 
Oza

RBerenguel wrote:
I wasn't confused, I know this weird gradation in English (in Spanish it is actually similarly formed, so it's probably common among many languages?), just wanted to add a minor joke to the conversation using the fact that indeed, English is quite a weird language and DrS a mathematician

Sorry. It went over my head. It made no sense to me so I ignored it.

Post #16 Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:42 am 
Gosei

DrStraw wrote:
RBerenguel wrote:

Sorry. It went over my head. It made no sense to me so I ignored it.

No problem, it was silly, I know.

Post #17 Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:24 am 
Beginner

You guys are fun. I gave my head a shake and now can beat Cosumi, I was out of practice I suppose. Agree it might be about 5 Kyu. Will visit the online human vs human sites you recommended thanks!

Post #18 Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:01 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 485
Was liked: 166
KGS: aco
IGS: oca
OGS: oca
Aidoneus wrote:
Q: How many mathematicians does it take to change a light bulb?
A: One: she gives it to three physicists, thus reducing it to a problem that has already been solved.

Q: How many psychologists does it take to change a light bulb?
A: One: but the light bulb should accept to change...

[EDIT]just to come back to the subject, Cosumi level 5 blow me away on an 9x9 :blackeye: ...[/EDIT]

Post #19 Posted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:07 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 18
Was liked: 81
KGS: FanXiping
OGS: slashpine
COSUMI is a strong Go-playing program for those below shodan level, especially at the highest levels of difficulty. Those 1d and higher may find it not too difficult to win against it even on the highest level of difficulty on 9x9 and 13x13 boards. I played a 19x19 game with 2-stone handicap against COSUMI and won by 38 points, while I have hardly been able to win against the same program on 9x9 board, at least at the higher levels of difficulty. (Though I lose all the time, I find this to be a good way to practice my tactical skills.)

Post #20 Posted: Sun May 17, 2015 11:09 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Aidoneus wrote:
In common English usage the expression "next highest" does not mean one step higher, it means one step lower.

Which means that next higher is higher than next highest. ;)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: RBerenguel