It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Did the series live up to your expectations?
Disappointing 43%  43%  [ 12 ]
About what I thought it would be 43%  43%  [ 12 ]
Better than expected 14%  14%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 28
 Post subject: Did it live up to your expectations?
Post #1 Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:06 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 228
Was liked: 84
Now that it's all over I'm curious to here how others feel about the entire event. Before it began there was a lot of enthusiasm, but I can also recall reading commentary along the lines that these two are somewhat past their primes and there won't be too much to enjoy.

All in all, what did you think?

Post subject: Re: Did it live up to your expectations?
Post #2 Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:15 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 10
Was liked: 128
I thought the pre-match hype was a tad silly, yes.
However, given that I rooted for Gu Li, the match did turn out to be a disappointment even without me having high hopes of it becoming the match of the millenium.

Post #3 Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:05 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 90
Was liked: 837
KGS: Capsule 4d
Tygem: 치킨까스 5d
Meh.

Post #4 Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:35 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
It was fun... we made an event out of it, and projected the games on the wall at the Seattle Go Center and staying up through 2am to watch and discuss the game.

This post by xed_over was liked by: daal

Post #5 Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:14 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 542
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
The matched was overly hyped, I didn't see it as intrinsic enthusiasm in the go community. I felt the interest in the match was because of the money prize, not because of some meaning for go; the match happened because a company put up the money.

Post #6 Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:27 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 159
Was liked: 19
KGS: sligocki
Online playing schedule: Ad hoc
gowan wrote:
The matched was overly hyped, I didn't see it as intrinsic enthusiasm in the go community. I felt the interest in the match was because of the money prize, not because of some meaning for go; the match happened because a company put up the money.

I disagree. Everyone at my local go club was talking about this match and none of us care about the money at stake.

Here are a couple reasons I think it resonated so well with my friends and me: (1) It was much simpler to follow than a huge tournament with dozens of participants, (2) Because it took place over such a long time, you could really spend time analyzing every game, understanding what was going on, (3) It had an epic feel of definitively deciding which of two players was the best.

I'm looking forward to more Jubangos in the future.

Post #7 Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:31 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 159
Was liked: 19
KGS: sligocki
Online playing schedule: Ad hoc
Shawn Ligocki wrote:
Here are a couple reasons I think it resonated so well with my friends and me: (1) It was much simpler to follow than a huge tournament with dozens of participants, (2) Because it took place over such a long time, you could really spend time analyzing every game, understanding what was going on, (3) It had an epic feel of definitively deciding which of two players was the best.

Side-note: The mathematician in me is a bit unhappy about (3), it gives the false impression that a 6-2 defeat clearly proves that Lee Sedol is better than Gu Li. In fact, if we assume that both players are exactly equally likely to win each game, then there is still a 28.9% chance of one of them winning 6-2 (14.5% chance for Gu Li + 14.5% chance for Lee Sedol). See also my other post. So this hasn't really proven anything from a statistical point of view.

But this is really a digression. I still think it's great to have epic competitions like this even if they "over-promise" the value of the results.

Post #8 Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:48 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
Shawn Ligocki wrote:
gowan wrote:

I disagree. Everyone at my local go club was talking about this match and none of us care about the money at stake.

I'm looking forward to more Jubangos in the future.

I rather enjoyed this as well, and honestly, part of the reason may be the publicity. It's much easier to follow a match when you know who the players are and can easily find information in English on how to view the game live, let alone having the benefit of good commentary in English. We definitely would have groups of people get together to discuss the games as they were happening, at least until we were all falling asleep, and I regret the few that I missed. In line with the talk at the 2014 US Go Congress, there's something to be said for a match like this that builds its own storyline and drama to involve the audience, so that it's not just a game, but an event. I'd look forward to seeing more of these in the future as well.

I feel that some of the Japanese big title matches have the same potential for excitement. However, they're not advertised as much and it's harder for me to find when they're happening, so they don't seem to generate the same sort of buzz.

This post by skydyr was liked by 2 people: Drew, Shawn Ligocki

Post subject:
Post #9 Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:18 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Shawn Ligocki wrote:
So this hasn't really proven anything from a statistical point of view.
Correct. 60-20 would be more meaningful, and 600-200 even more so.
Alas, few people have the patience, time, or budget.

But there is another way: you need someone who is at least their level,
higher is even better, to review the 8 games. Such a person's evaluation
of their moves can be illuminating.

Post #10 Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:06 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
Individually, they were eight pro games, none of which bored me, and none of which delivered blinding flashes of insight to me; and all of which contained a bunch of stuff that I didn't understand. In other words they were eight pro games just like other pro games.

Collectively, it was about what I expected. In the pre-jubango poll, I voted Lee winning 7-3. The only suspense came when Gu won #4 to tie it at 2 each.

So, overall, about as expected.

Post #11 Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:41 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 319
Was liked: 287
Universal go server handle: jeromie
I enjoyed the match more than I expected, mainly because of the excellent commentary at GoGameGuru. This was the first multi-game professional match that I followed throughout, and I really enjoyed being able to look forward to quality commentary on each match. I'd probably enjoy more professional events if they were treated similarly.

I tried following the games live a couple of times, but found that I much preferred playing through the game at my own pace once it was done.

Post #12 Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:31 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 142
Was liked: 437
GD Posts: 9
Yes, it was pretty much exactly what I thought it would be.

I was aware of the hype before it started, and even after it has finished. Some people are still lavishing on hype, mainly because they have a business investment or have developed a warped perspective on it from being too close for too long. Most of the hype was from a misrepresentation of historical accuracy and misuse of historical context -- it lead people to overly attach importance to the jubango. But hype is part of enjoying it. Part of allowing oneself to become excited about it: as long as one remains conscious of the ground one has built upon.

Post #13 Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:01 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 176
Was liked: 46
OGS: paK0, paK0666
Universal go server handle: paK0
I greatly enjoyed it, to be fair though I didn't know what to expect, since I've never followed a multi-game pro match before. Makes me wish for more english commentary of some title matches.

Post #14 Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:21 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 228
Was liked: 84
Thanks to all who answered and voted. For me, the remaining question is how will GoGameGuru's book turn out? I do very much hope they pull out all the stops and produce a work that transcends the 8 matches it is based upon... but I'm not holding my breath!