It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Want To Drop Acid And Then Play Go?
Post #1 Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:41 am 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
Anybody interested in dropping ‪acid‬ and then playing ‪Go‬? The ‪setting‬ may be a little awkward, though ;-)

The Beckley Foundation is looking for participants in their “Psychedelics & Creativity Research”:
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2014-11-18 at 15.31.33.png
Screen Shot 2014-11-18 at 15.31.33.png [ 141.52 KiB | Viewed 15441 times ]

For the original PDF see http://www.beckleyfoundation.org/wp-con ... /10/GO.pdf.

I might actually contact them, but I guess the travel from Germany to the UK may be more than I’d want to do.

Via this Reddit post … of which I was notified by this share by OGS on FB.

Greetings, Tom

Post subject: Re: Want To Drop Acid And Then Play Go?
Post #2 Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:00 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 272
Was liked: 126
I have no "prior experience" so I guess I don't satisfy their requirements. I'm down the road (rail-road, that is - I'm in Woking) and don't mind being a lab-rat.

Post #3 Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:47 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
I have a little experience playing tournament bridge when stoned on marijuana. Before one session I smoked a whole joint of Panama Red, which was considered strong stuff in those days. When I got to the playing area I was unsure whether I would be able to play, I was so zonked. On the first hand I discovered that I was able to follow suit, so I figured that I could get through the session. On the second hand I was declarer in a slightly difficult hand. I found that visualization had become almost effortless. End result: a score of 206 matchpoints when average was 156, which is quite a good single session score. (For those unfamiliar with tournament bridge, I once tied for 4th and 5th in a large tournament with back to back session scores of 195 and 194.5.)

Another low level pro told me that once when she was stoned on grass at a tournament she had to excuse herself from the table. She went to the ladies' room and asked herself, "What am I doing with my life? Why am I playing this silly game?"

In college I cajoled a friend into playing go stoned on grass. (We were both 4 kyu.) But instead of playing, he just wanted to arrange the stones into interesting patterns. Like a huge White arrow. ;)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: Bonobo

Post #4 Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:29 am 
Oza

I have some experience playing Go stoned … I wonder how it would be to play it sober :roll:

:lol:

This post by Bonobo was liked by: Bill Spight

Post #5 Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:30 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 288
Was liked: 65
OGS: Joellercoaster
Fascinating.

Why Go, I wonder? I would have thought they would have had an easier time looking for participants in other, similar activities.

I've contacted them, anyway (it's unlikely I will be able to participate, but I am qualified and have even been a lab-rat in related research many years ago). I will report back.

This post by joellercoaster was liked by: Bonobo

Post #6 Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:09 am 
Oza

If it weren’t in the UK, and if such a journey weren’t impossible for me as it currently is, I would IMMEDIATELY apply for participation. (I meet all the requirements, though “mental health” would probably be disputed controversially :twisted: )

Post #7 Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:22 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 85
Was liked: 85
GD Posts: 100
Hmm there must be a couple of academics in the forum. Perhaps we should put a grant app in for our own study? All in the interest of science you understand :study: I'll volunteer for modafinil (or beer)

Post #8 Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:13 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
My recreational drug use is daily coffee and roughly a beer a week, but I've read fascinating things about research into how hallucinogens might promote creativity. If I weren't so risk averse, I'd probably be tempted.

Post #9 Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:30 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
I would be more interested if they were looking to test the effect of high quality wines on the ability to play go. Although I could tell them the answer without them going to the trouble.

Post #10 Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:46 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 81
Was liked: 128
KGS: lepore
With my luck I'd be in the placebo group.

This post by mhlepore was liked by 5 people: 1/7,000,000,000, Bonobo, Drew, DrStraw, joellercoaster

Post #11 Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:38 pm 
Oza

Post #12 Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:32 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 82
Hmmmm.... I thought this study was being done some time ago....

I did have some experience with a substance that isn't usually considered hallucinogenic, but does have some hallucinogenic properties if ingested. Or maybe I just thought it did. (Being asthmatic and a non-smoker, I was reluctant to smoke it.)

It smacked me flat on my back, but suddenly I realised I could follow each instrument in some classical music that was playing in the background when before there was just a blur of sounds (nice sounds, but indistinguishable), and some of that effect still remains, although without the visuals. So I suspect that LSD might be totally useless for actually playing at the time, but I do wonder whether it would have some effects that would remain longterm.

Nope... not thinking of volunteering.

Or maybe...?

Post #13 Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:38 am 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
Nyanjilla wrote:
Hmmmm.... I thought this study was being done some time ago....

I did have some experience with a substance that isn't usually considered hallucinogenic, but does have some hallucinogenic properties if ingested. Or maybe I just thought it did. (Being asthmatic and a non-smoker, I was reluctant to smoke it.)

It smacked me flat on my back, but suddenly I realised I could follow each instrument in some classical music that was playing in the background when before there was just a blur of sounds (nice sounds, but indistinguishable), and some of that effect still remains, although without the visuals. So I suspect that LSD might be totally useless for actually playing at the time, but I do wonder whether it would have some effects that would remain longterm.

Nope... not thinking of volunteering.

Or maybe...?

I've often suspected that a mild to moderate hallucinogen might help a great deal in learning go, as you might find it a lot easier to see the connectedness of moves and the flow of the game, as well as visualizing and reading more easily. Never tested it out though, and I'm reluctant to for a variety of reasons.

Post #14 Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:03 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 288
OGS: Joellercoaster
Bonobo wrote:
I have some experience playing Go stoned

Seems to be more beneficial than my single malt Scotch and rye whiskey experiments then, from our current game :lol:

This post by joellercoaster was liked by: Bonobo

Post #15 Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:58 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
*Sigh* Unfortunately I can't spare the time or travel costs for this, otherwise I'd love to go. I haven't had a reliable contact for acid in at least a decade.

Back when I did, playing go was an effort, but not in the normal sense. It was actually easier to play in some ways ( flow and direction took on a life of their own: sentient clouds flowing and rolling across the board ).
But it was difficult to have to continually remind oneself that there was a game to be played, when every object in the room might have cosmic significance that would for a few minutes outweight the importance of the game.

This post by Joaz Banbeck was liked by 3 people: Bill Spight, Bonobo, tentano

Post #16 Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:38 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 16
Was liked: 83
GD Posts: 156
Having tried the 2 separately (but not together) I'd say that Joaz's description sounds about like what I'd expect for a mid-level dosage. Your focus would increase, but you'd need to remember to keep that focus on the game and not everything else.

A very patient opponent would be a nice add as well...

Bruce "Focus, zoom, and pan" Young

This post by BaghwanB was liked by: Bonobo

Post #17 Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:46 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 4
I tend to play for hours whenever merryjuana is involved :salute:

Post #18 Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:33 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 37
Was liked: 20
KGS: 5k
IGS: 10K
OGS: 7k
I will send this a some friends.

I got one friend (6 dan) that he said me "you dont be a shoudan if you dont smoke 'mota' (marijuana)". I didnt it and I am kyu yet... if this experiment show scientifically some good relantionship, I will pose the saying of my friend :lol:

Post #19 Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:05 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 5
KGS: nadoss
Man I wish I could make it. Downside, Cali is too far away from the experiment. Upside, Cali is not too far away from Cali Bud.

Post #20 Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:01 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 13
Was liked: 56
If they keep doing this kind of research regularly, surely it would help increase the popularity of go?