All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lee Changho's Tesuji and Life and Death Books
Post #1 Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:49 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 10
Was liked: 0
Hi all,

I am looking for Lee Changho's books below:

Yi Chang Ho Jingjiang Weiqi Shoujin (李昌镐精讲围棋手筋) (Lee Changho's Selected Tesuji Go Problems) (http://senseis.xmp.net/?LiChangHoJingjiangWeiqiShoujin)

Yi Chang-ho Jingjiang Weiqi Sihuo (李昌镐精讲围棋死活) (Lee Changho's Selected Life and Death Go Problems) (http://senseis.xmp.net/?LiChangHoJingjiangWeiqiSihuo)

I would like to know if there is a place where I can buy these books online and get them delivered in USA or if someone is willing to sell them.

Thanks!

Jonathas.

Post subject: Re: Lee Changho's Tesuji and Life and Death Books
Post #2 Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:13 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
You can try to buy them from abebooks. The shipping might be kinda hefty and I don't think they have all of them though.

Post #3 Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:00 am 
Dies in gote

Hi Nemi,

Thank you for the links although the prices are outrageous and the books are being sold separately just to make more profit over them, is possible to buy them online.
I will stay waiting for a best opportunity or other place I can buy them for a fair price.

Jonathas.

Post #4 Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:23 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
They are really ridiculously marked up. In China, the whole set is like $25? I had my friend bring them back.

Maybe you can write to Yellow Mountain Imports and ask if they plan on stocking them again. I think they have distributors in China. I don't remember how much they were selling them for though.

Post #5 Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:12 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 5
GD Posts: 800
Someone in the Books forum recommended Jingdong.com (jd.com) as a place to get Chinese books online, that will also ship to the US. They advertise FREE worldwide shipping on orders greater than $49, and price all of their items in US$, as well as yuan.

I have no experience with this web site but, if you enter the Chinese name of the first set you mention in their search box on their English site (en.jd.com), you get this page (which shows 4 of the 6 volumes, right now):

http://en.jd.com/search?key=%E6%9D%8E%E6%98%8C%E9%95%90%E7%B2%BE%E8%AE%B2%E5%9B%B4%E6%A3%8B%E6%89%8B%E7%AD%8B

Translate to English after you go there. Each volume is $4.34, with free shipping if you manage to get over $49. If you don't want that much, maybe you can find others who will combine their orders with you, and arrange to forward along the various sub-orders after they arrive.

Even though the front page of en.jd.com is in English, most of the interior pages are still Chinese. I have found that the site is navigable in Chrome if you use Google Translate.

Given that the price is right, I guess we need someone (or a group) bold enough to give this a shot. Or, maybe someone else has a better outlet? I remember someone mentioning a web site in Taiwan as a good choice, but can't find that post right now.

[UPDATE] Another tip... Go books are found on the site under this category (once you have translated the categories to English using Google Translate):

JD > Chinese Books > Sports > Chess

Post #6 Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:21 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 228
Was liked: 84
I live in China and use JD regularly for orders. I'd be willing to make proxy book purchases and ship them at-cost to other lifein19x19 members wherever. Let me know.

ETA: Amazon.cn also has quite a lot of choices.

Post #7 Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:12 am 
Dies in gote

Hi Drew,

I took a look at Amazon.cn and they have the books being sold by other vendor.
I will send a PM for you so we can talk about the details.

Thank you very much!

Jonathas.

Post #8 Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:48 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 36
Drew wrote:
I live in China and...

Hi Drew, where you located in China? Just curious, I won't need anything form JD.com or similar.

Post #9 Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:53 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 228
Was liked: 84
kivi wrote:
Drew wrote:
I live in China and...

Hi Drew, where you located in China? Just curious, I won't need anything form JD.com or similar.

In the Northeast.

Post #10 Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:24 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 85
Was liked: 85
GD Posts: 100
I bought a bunch of Go books from China though DangDang - very cheap indeed. That was a couple of years ago though and their system for payment has changed so I don't know if it's still possible (or whether the quality of service from DangDang has changed). On DangDang those book sets are

http://product.dangdang.com/1326533607.html

and

http://product.dangdang.com/1326533707.html

11 Euro per set.

I managed to navigate their site using only automatic translation tools but it took a while. Postage was cheap and took a while to arrive but my order arrived okay.

EDIT: one google search later, came up with this blog that has recent hints on ordering from DangDang. Might be time for another order soon.

http://stayathomemumof3.com/2014/09/04/how-to-buy-books-from-dangdang-science-books-recommendation/

Post #11 Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:25 pm 
Dies in gote

Hi CnP,

I tried to buy them from DangDang but when you click to proceed to the deliver options, a pop-up window opens and says that is not possible to deliver these books to my address. :-(
Did you try to buy them from DangDang?

Jonathas.

Post #12 Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:38 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 85
Was liked: 85
GD Posts: 100
Hi, sounds like you're navigating the website fine. I did order them through DangDang but only individually (but all at the same time, just not the listed set) and only volumes 1-5 of each set (and I'm still missing the 6th volume of the L&D set but bought the 6th Tesuji volume from someone in Europe later - the 6th volumes were out of stock/print). However that was back in 2009.

btw I also got this book at the time

http://senseis.xmp.net/?WeiqiLifeAndDeath1000Problems

cheers,
John

edit: off topic but "that was back in 2009" - is really depressing now I see it written down.