Dusan Mitic 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Other (TimurSankin/ViktorLin) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 34
 Post subject: Next EGF Professionals
Post #1 Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:26 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 315
On the EGF website, it is currently linked as the 1st pro qualification, but do not be deceived! The second pro qualification is almost upon us.
http://www.eurogofed.org/proqualification/ With no players now banned for any other reason that being too old, or being a johnny foreigner, the race is wide open and exciting.

Webpage : Pisa European Pro Qualification Tournament. http://www.figg.org/index.php?option=co ... 90&lang=en
Date : Friday, March 6-8, 2015

Sorry, but the poll only allows 15 options :)

Post subject: Re: Next EGF Professionals
Post #2 Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:43 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 202
Was liked: 1087
GD Posts: 645
Universal go server handle: herminator
Well, the first two rounds have been played. http://www.eurogofed.org/proqualification/

Timur Sankin, Zhao Pei, Lukas Podpera and Bohdan Zhurakowskyi have been knocked out. Lukas is especially surprising, he is the fifth seed by rating, reached the losers bracket final last year (lost to Ali) and has just studied in China for half a year.

The four top seeds by rating have not done anything surprising. Ilja Shikshin, Mateusz Surma, Cristian Pop and Artem Kachanovskyi have all won both rounds so far.

Post #3 Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:59 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 65
GD Posts: 29
What's the point of the poll? Nobody remembers their losses.

It's quite chilling with the top.

Cheers,
Vesa

Post #4 Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:29 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
Vesa wrote:
What's the point of the poll? Nobody remembers their losses.

It's quite chilling with the top.

Cheers,
Vesa

MAybe he just likes to be pollitically correct.

Post #5 Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:55 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 6
EGF pro qualification tournament Pisa round 1

Attachments:
EGF pro.jpg
EGF pro.jpg [ 115.75 KiB | Viewed 16983 times ]

This post by honte was liked by 2 people: betterlife, Bonobo

Post #6 Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:01 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
What struck me instantly about this photo is how few of the players are looking at the board. In my experience that's not pro or insei behaviour.

Post #7 Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:05 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 6
Day 2, round 3

Attachments:
mmexport1425718786615.jpg
mmexport1425718786615.jpg [ 117.75 KiB | Viewed 16950 times ]
mmexport1425718781927.jpg
mmexport1425718781927.jpg [ 114.73 KiB | Viewed 16950 times ]

This post by honte was liked by: Bonobo

Post #8 Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:35 am 
Lives in gote

Was liked: 31
KGS: 2d
IMO it is time for a dress code. These guys don't look like elite thinkers of a divine board game, but more like prisoners at their scrabble evening. EGF gives away an opportunity to make itself interesting to higer suited sponsors.

This post by Pippen was liked by: DrStraw

Post #9 Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:46 am 
Oza

Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
Pippen wrote:
IMO it is time for a dress code. These guys don't look like elite thinkers of a divine board game, but more like prisoners at their scrabble evening. EGF gives away an opportunity to make itself interesting to higer suited sponsors.

You know, that is exactly what I thought, but not being part of the European go scene I figured that was normal and so did not say anything.

Post #10 Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:20 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 5
KGS: mimano
DGS: mimano
That made me smile: so spot on :)

Post #11 Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:36 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 13
Was liked: 56
I'm not sure it would be much use to try and stuff them all in a suit or whatever your intended dress code is.

The simple fact is that Europeans in general aren't that fond of regulations about their appearance. It may well be received as demeaning and insulting, no matter what is the precise content of this dress code. Go players tend to be a little more unique than the general populace, too, which only makes it less likely that it gets generally accepted.

Given that the pictures in this thread are pretty representative of how every European go tournament looks, it might also be alienating. Broadening appeal is great, but I haven't ever heard anyone complain that the EGF pros don't look nice enough for people to like the game. It's much more likely that I will have to explain what the EGF is.

This post by tentano was liked by 2 people: Amelia, gowan

Post #12 Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:41 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 315
I think a dress code is sensible for top level events. It is perfectly true that a lot of competitors just flat out ignore the code, raising 2 fingers to the WAGC for instance. So nice to have, but don't expect it to work.

Going back to John's comment, is there much to study at move 5?

Post #13 Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:45 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 202
Was liked: 1087
GD Posts: 645
Universal go server handle: herminator
Instead of their clothes, lets talk about their go. :)

Surma has defeated Shikshin and taken the first pro spot. Shikshin joins Kravets, Debarre and Burzo to fight for the other one.

This post by HermanHiddema was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, gowan

Post #14 Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:23 pm 
Lives in gote

I think the professional Go must behave professional, i.e. trying to go for the money. One way is to build up an image, a brand...and one important aspect is clothing. No top venture would sponsor guys that look like trivial students. Go tournaments and go players must be treated very closely to what composers and musicians in a classic orchestra are treated like. There must be a smell of elitarity around them and that starts with a dress and behaviour code. The next step has to be to choose only elitarian hotels for the top tournaments, even if that means less tournaments, continued by an constant push for publicity by trying to offer articles to big newspapers and to cover main matches through the Internet constantly. And then of course EGF has to use the advantage of the chaotic asian market and establish a simple world champ system very closely to what chess did till 1995.

I know that sounds bold and compromises a lot of inherent go values - it would destroy the loveliness of the small go community in the western world - but if you think professionally, if you want someone to "show you the money" you gotta act accordingly.

Post #15 Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:32 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
How often will they make new pros, and 2 each time? Wasn't it just over half a year ago we got the first two? I worry making 2 per year (or more frequently) will mean we end up demeaning the title of professional too much with too weak players becoming ones (should be EGF 7ds not 6d IMO).

But well done Mateusz! He's a nice guy.

Post #16 Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:35 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Pippen, you should scold Tuo Jiaxi!

viewtopic.php?p=158812#p158812

This post by Uberdude was liked by: tapir

Post #17 Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:53 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Pippen wrote:
I think the professional Go must behave professional, i.e. trying to go for the money. One way is to build up an image, a brand...and one important aspect is clothing. No top venture would sponsor guys that look like trivial students. Go tournaments and go players must be treated very closely to what composers and musicians in a classic orchestra are treated like. There must be a smell of elitarity around them and that starts with a dress and behaviour code. The next step has to be to choose only elitarian hotels for the top tournaments, even if that means less tournaments, continued by an constant push for publicity by trying to offer articles to big newspapers and to cover main matches through the Internet constantly. And then of course EGF has to use the advantage of the chaotic asian market and establish a simple world champ system very closely to what chess did till 1995.

I know that sounds bold and compromises a lot of inherent go values - it would destroy the loveliness of the small go community in the western world - but if you think professionally, if you want someone to "show you the money" you gotta act accordingly.

Actually, if you consider tournament bridge in the mid-20th century (before about 1960, I guess), you do see players dressing rather formally. And there was a genteel atmosphere. But that ship has sailed. And I don't see much value in trying to bring it back for go.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: Bonobo

Post #18 Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:10 pm 
Lives in gote

Bill Spight wrote:
And there was a genteel atmosphere. But that ship has sailed. And I don't see much value in trying to bring it back for go.

I basically agree. But of course the consequence will be that those EGF pro's will never make much money in Europe and America, and to make it in Asia they are too weak. Then after a couple of years when those young men are over 30 they might quit Go because they will have friends that are average in their profession and still double their income. That'd be a waste. Those pro's have to stay with Go like Catalin Taranu or Alex Dinerchtein to promote Go more efficently and later work in Go institutions.

Post #19 Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:43 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Pippen wrote:
Bill Spight wrote:
And there was a genteel atmosphere. But that ship has sailed. And I don't see much value in trying to bring it back for go.

I basically agree. But of course the consequence will be that those EGF pro's will never make much money in Europe and America, and to make it in Asia they are too weak. Then after a couple of years when those young men are over 30 they might quit Go because they will have friends that are average in their profession and still double their income. That'd be a waste. Those pro's have to stay with Go like Catalin Taranu or Alex Dinerchtein to promote Go more efficently and later work in Go institutions.

Tournaments need sponsors and teaching pros need students. Go pros are a new thing in the West. I think that it is too early to predict gloom and doom.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #20 Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:32 pm 
Oza

Bill Spight wrote:
Tournaments need sponsors and teaching pros need students. Go pros are a new thing in the West. I think that it is too early to predict gloom and doom.

Is it okay to predict gloom or doom?

This post by DrStraw was liked by: Bill Spight