Other (TimurSankin/ViktorLin) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 34
 Post subject: Re: Next EGF Professionals
Post #21 Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:21 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
Quote:
Tournaments need sponsors and teaching pros need students. Go pros are a new thing in the West. I think that it is too early to predict gloom and doom.

If I may repeat something I have said before: when reading about the history of the professional organisations in the various oriental countries I have always been struck by the immense amount of work done by the pros themselves to create their own environment. They did not sit around waiting for sponsors or students. They went out and nurtured them, working so hard in a couple of cases that it led to nervous breakdowns and early deaths. Some pros even gave up for a while - Iwamoto becoming a coffee-farm worker in Brazil springs to mind, but quite a few joined the civil service or journalism, or whatever, so that go was effectively just their hobby. The Chinese players even had to put up with the Cultural Revolution, so the likes of Nie Weiping ended up being re-educated on farms with only a go board in their heads. The Koreans relied essentially on one man: Cho Nam-ch'eol.

I don't see even desultory attempts by western wannabe pros to emulate any of this admin/PR effort, or any strong personalities. While it may be too early to predict gloom or doom, it seems hard to predict any fireworks either.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by 5 people: Bantari, betterlife, Bill Spight, Boidhre, jeromie

Post #22 Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:33 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 202
Was liked: 1087
GD Posts: 645
Universal go server handle: herminator
As expected, Shikshin took the second pro spot, defeating Andrii Kravets in the semis and Cornel Burzo in the final.

He played the last game under some time pressure, because apparently he had a plane to catch and could not afford to spend much time in byoyomi. Shikshin was ahead in the endgame when Burzo forgot to play a forcing move, lost a big group, and resigned.

Oh, and for those who care more about the clothes, here's the previous two pros (Lisy and Jabarin) at a match in Japan:

Post #23 Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:45 am 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
HermanHiddema wrote:
Oh, and for those who care more about the clothes, here's the previous two pros (Lisy and Jabarin) at a match in Japan:

I don't recall ever seeing a Japanese pro with his elbow on the table before.

Post #24 Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:51 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
DrStraw wrote:
HermanHiddema wrote:

Found one for you in 30 seconds of googling:

http://www.seattlego.org/wp-content/upl ... t-move.jpg

This post by Uberdude was liked by: Bonobo

Post #25 Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:13 am 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
Uberdude wrote:
DrStraw wrote:
HermanHiddema wrote:

Found one for you in 30 seconds of googling:

http://www.seattlego.org/wp-content/upl ... t-move.jpg

But that is clearly in the review stage. I was thinking about during play.

Post #26 Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:20 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
Quote:

3 points.

1. Special armrests are provided when playing on a floor board, so elbow leaning is expected.

2. Leaning on a table is usually not recommended for pros for a couple of reasons - it obscures the view of the game recorder and it impedes proper breathing. It has little to do with politeness. (but uberdude's image is not a good choice anyway).

3. (specially for Dr Straw, a Sakata fan) Stuart Dowsey used to like pointing out how Sakata would pick his toe nails during games. It adds a certain nuance to the foot sweep tesuji.

Clothing and personal appearance are not big issues during play in the pro world, but focusing your attention on the board at all times and sitting up straight are things you get brayed into you as an insei. Our current idol Sugiuchi Masao was regarded (gratefully) as such a martinet when he was an insei teacher. And recall the famous incident when young Kitani and Murashima were both given a loss because they were tired, poor things, and took a rest during an Oteai game. It's about attitude, not appearance.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by 3 people: Bonobo, ez4u, gowan

Post #27 Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:30 am 
Judan

Ok, how about Blackie (Kin Seungjun 9p), Korean rather than Japanese. And what a suit! :)

This post by Uberdude was liked by: ez4u

Post #28 Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:38 am 
Gosei

John Fairbairn wrote:
What struck me instantly about this photo is how few of the players are looking at the board. In my experience that's not pro or insei behaviour.

John Fairbairn wrote:
...focusing your attention on the board at all times...

Interestingly, as can be seen in honte's second set of photos, the semi-finalists (Shikshin, Surma, Pop and Kachanovskyi) are focussed on the board immediately (at 2-5 moves into the game).

Personally, I have the experience of playing a young Korean insei who did not focus on the board. Rather, he would study the position after my move for 5 seconds, then look at the ceiling and do all the calculation in his head. And his reading was frightfully accurate too :lol:

This post by HermanHiddema was liked by: ez4u

Post #29 Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:25 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 319
Was liked: 287
Universal go server handle: jeromie
I think it bodes well for the new professionals that the two top seeds rose to the top in a double elimination tournament. There are a lot of opportunities for the supposedly better player to make a mistake that leads to elimination in that sort of tournament. That they won demonstrates mental fortitude as well as go strength.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the new European (and North American) professional go scene. I wish these young men the best, and I hope that they (or their successors) are able to make valuable contributions to the development of go worldwide.

This post by jeromie was liked by: Elom

Post #30 Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:06 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 568
Was liked: 84
Universal go server handle: WindnWater, Elom
*Grabs Popcorn* okay, this is worth seeing :cool:

Actually, maybe it would have been a good idea if little, inexpensive adjustments had been made to the playing area (e.g. using table cloth, having ornaments on which to place the bowl covers, plants, etc...), as it would be far easier to suggest a light dress code/behavioural code ("it may not be the kisei, but this is a professional examination...?").

Uberdude wrote:
How often will they make new pros, and 2 each time? Wasn't it just over half a year ago we got the first two? I worry making 2 per year (or more frequently) will mean we end up demeaning the title of professional too much with too weak players becoming ones (should be EGF 7ds not 6d IMO).

But well done Mateusz! He's a nice guy.

As far as I've heard, starting from next year, only one shin-shodan shall emerge every year.

Congratulations to Surma 新初段 and Shikishin 新初段! Go S^2 :blackeye:

This post by Elom was liked by: Bonobo

Post #31 Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:19 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 53
Was liked: 109
KGS: Soji
DGS: Soji
Online playing schedule: KGS usually Friday 20:00-23:00
HermanHiddema wrote:
John Fairbairn wrote:
What struck me instantly about this photo is how few of the players are looking at the board. In my experience that's not pro or insei behaviour.

John Fairbairn wrote:
...focusing your attention on the board at all times...

Interestingly, as can be seen in honte's second set of photos, the semi-finalists (Shikshin, Surma, Pop and Kachanovskyi) are focussed on the board immediately (at 2-5 moves into the game).

Personally, I have the experience of playing a young Korean insei who did not focus on the board. Rather, he would study the position after my move for 5 seconds, then look at the ceiling and do all the calculation in his head. And his reading was frightfully accurate too :lol:

I recently stumbled on that story http://rongen17.home.xs4all.nl/Cho/Stor ... ry002.html
I guess it drills down the point that paying attention to the board is important :o

Post #32 Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:54 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 36
Amelia wrote:
I recently stumbled on that story http://rongen17.home.xs4all.nl/Cho/Stor ... ry002.html
I guess it drills down the point that paying attention to the board is important :o

I remember there was an article on a similar fashioned website, about how one top pro would start mumbling japanese kids songs when he is ahead, another would break a bunch of match sticks on his lap to cope with the stress, and a few more weird stuff O_o

Post #33 Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:48 am 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 786
There has been a rumour that Ilya (congratulations also to Surma) had to win his promotion game fast in order to get his plane. Did he get it?

Post #34 Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:53 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 180
Was liked: 151
GD Posts: 422
KGS: komi
Can anyone explain why Ilya has been awarded 3p rank and Pavol a 2p (the other two are 1P)?

Post #35 Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:00 pm 
Gosei

Where did you hear that?

Post #36 Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:15 pm 
Judan

HermanHiddema wrote:
Where did you hear that?

My guess is someone looked at his EGD page and saw his GoR as "2755 (3p)". In the EGF rating system 7d at 2700 is considered equivalent to 1p (New 1ps into the system are set at 2700) with 30 rating points per pro dan rank (rather than the 100 per amateur rank) so 2755 translates to 3p. When Pavol and Ali got their 1p they got reset to 2700, getting a rating point boost (from 2654 and a peak of 2686 for Pavol, and from 2658 (peak) for Ali, since then Pavol has risen to 2717 and Ali dropped to 2673). Ilya's 2755 on the other hand is earned from his skill in winning games rather than pro qualification tournaments, so it would be rather perverse if his rating were to be reset down to 2700!

This post by Uberdude was liked by: jeromie

Post #37 Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:35 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 180
Was liked: 151
GD Posts: 422
KGS: komi
HermanHiddema wrote:
Where did you hear that?

It seems to have been corrected in the meantime, but the original email announcement of this tournament http://www.andalucia-go.org/index.php/en/tournaments-and-activities-of-agoa/seville-go-tournaments-col-210/162-xviii-seville-go-tournament-2015 spoke of 3p's and 2p's

Post #38 Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:55 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 162
Was liked: 15
Universal go server handle: betterlife
quantumf wrote:
HermanHiddema wrote:
Where did you hear that?

It seems to have been corrected in the meantime, but the original email announcement of this tournament http://www.andalucia-go.org/index.php/en/tournaments-and-activities-of-agoa/seville-go-tournaments-col-210/162-xviii-seville-go-tournament-2015 spoke of 3p's and 2p's

It's a mistake. Just ignore it, they will fix it by today.

There are four european professional players now:
[*]Pavol Lisy 1p
[*]Ali Jabarin 1p
[*]Ilya Shikshin 1p
[*]Mateusz Surma 1p

Post #39 Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:48 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 315
Uberdude wrote:
HermanHiddema wrote:
Where did you hear that?

My guess is someone looked at his EGD page and saw his GoR as "2755 (3p)". In the EGF rating system 7d at 2700 is considered equivalent to 1p (New 1ps into the system are set at 2700) with 30 rating points per pro dan rank (rather than the 100 per amateur rank) so 2755 translates to 3p. When Pavol and Ali got their 1p they got reset to 2700, getting a rating point boost (from 2654 and a peak of 2686 for Pavol, and from 2658 (peak) for Ali, since then Pavol has risen to 2717 and Ali dropped to 2673). Ilya's 2755 on the other hand is earned from his skill in winning games rather than pro qualification tournaments, so it would be rather perverse if his rating were to be reset down to 2700!

I don't think they'd be so silly as to reset the GoR downwards :) This is not the first time the EGD has tricked somebody on the subject of a professional rank. Perhaps this means a change request is in order?!

On a side note, I think that the treatment of pro ratings is a bit naive. The idea that 3 ranks normally means 1 stone is something that seems to have handed down from folklore, and bears scant resemblance to reality.

Post #40 Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:55 am 
Judan

Javaness2 wrote:
On a side note, I think that the treatment of pro ratings is a bit naive. The idea that 3 ranks normally means 1 stone is something that seems to have handed down from folklore, and bears scant resemblance to reality.

Yes, but I don't think it matters much whether some Asian 9p has a GoR of 2940 or 3000 when a European 6/7d loses to them in the WMSG or such a tournament, and there's not a lot of those games either (and even if the European won somehow the change in rating points gained from beating someone 200 vs 300 GoR above you is not much). The resetting of new 1ps at 2700 when they are not 2700 strength seems potentially more important, but still rather minor. (I don't mean just the new European pros, but also how about Li Ting 1p for example who lost to 2 6ds in Strasbourg 2014).