It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2015 US Go Congress
Post #1 Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:38 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
The US Go Congress starts today. I have not seen a thread for it so I thought it appropriate to start one so that we can all discuss it.

http://www.gocongress.org/2015/tournaments

Seems like it was 15 years too late for me. I used to teach as the university at which it is taking place. Now I am 1200 miles away. Of course, I am not longer a member of the AGA, but that may have prompted me to rejoin.

Disappointing that ladies are not welcome in the 9th Annual Women's Tournament. But then my wife doesn't play go anyway so I guess I should not be bothered. :)

Post subject: Re: 2015 US Go Congress
Post #2 Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:13 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 490
Was liked: 365
In the US Open you can request a 60 minute adjournment for lunch (after 12 noon) in your 90 minute game. You even have to make a sealed move.

Is this common practice? I could imagine, that this would bother me quite a bit. Stretches out a long game even more.

Okay, I just checked the rounds schedule. Play starts at 9 and is planned to end around 12, so I guess, most players won't play longer than 12 noon to make use of this adjournment. Still a bit funny, though, since it seems you have only one game a day in the US Open. So playing longer than expected and delaying lunch seems not much of a problem.

Post #3 Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:35 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
yes, its common practice. and you're right, most games are finished long before.
for those that aren't, many players will just keep playing through lunch to finish.

the strong players used to get 2 hours each, instead of 90 mins. and with byo-yomi, these games can last well into the mid afternoon, especially with an adjournment (causing game recorders to miss lunch and other activities :( )

Post #4 Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:34 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 414
Was liked: 461
I am there this year. :D Very exciting!

Post #5 Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:00 pm 
Oza

Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
Okay, so the first round is finished. Where are the results? The link to the congress page does not appear to show them.

Post #6 Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:05 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
Yeah, they're strangely hard to find: http://www.usgo.org/tournaments/crosstab/.

This post by hyperpape was liked by: DrStraw

Post #7 Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:14 pm 
Oza

hyperpape wrote:
Yeah, they're strangely hard to find: http://www.usgo.org/tournaments/crosstab/.

Thanks, but nor very useful if it is not ordered by McMahon score. It give no indication as to who is leading. I seem to remember that the AGA was this cryptic in the past. Are they afraid of people feeling deprived if they are listed as being at the bottom of the pile?

Post #8 Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:57 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
DrStraw wrote:
hyperpape wrote:

Thanks, but nor very useful if it is not ordered by McMahon score. It give no indication as to who is leading. I seem to remember that the AGA was this cryptic in the past. Are they afraid of people feeling deprived if they are listed as being at the bottom of the pile?

It's just on the todo list. I offered to help once but lost track of it. The top group is in masters. If you want to fix the ordering, I'm sure the AGA wouldn't mind some help. The information should all be there to do it.

Post #9 Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:37 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
DrStraw wrote:
hyperpape wrote:

Masters (top players): http://www.usgo.org/tournaments/crossta ... matrix/173
Open (everyone else): http://www.usgo.org/tournaments/crossta ... matrix/172

They are sortable by wins or player ratings at sign in (not listed).

This post by xed_over was liked by: Bonobo

Post #10 Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:19 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 81
Was liked: 128
KGS: lepore
Just returned from the Twin Cities. Overall it was a very nice congress, and others who have been to many more of these things than me said the same.

- U.S. Open started on time every day I think.
- Tournament ratings were updated regularly, and we did receive all relevant info on band/tiebreaker/SOS/etc, despite this info apparently not being available online.
- The food was good considering it was college cafeteria food.
- Ample opportunities to learn from pros in lectures and simul games.
- Cubans - actual Cubans - attended! (I never asked them if TSA confiscated their cigars on the way in)
- The weather was nice (only rained one day) and lots of things to enjoy in the Twin Cities on the day off.
- Perhaps this congress will come to be known as the one where we took a huge leap forward in technology, providing all sorts of live streaming that I don't believe have been used before at a U.S. Congress.
- All of the volunteers were in offices that were visible to attendees, and we could see just how hard the were working. Hopefully, people appreciated this, even though there is much hard work they do that we never get to see.

This post by mhlepore was liked by 6 people: Bonobo, DrStraw, ez4u, Inkwolf, jdl, xed_over