All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: iPad Pandanet after iOS 9 update
Post #1 Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:50 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
GD Posts: 92
KGS: LunaSlave
Crashes every time I try to start a game now :( Anyone else have this problem? Actually, Tygem is doing the same thing.

Post subject: Re: iPad Pandanet after iOS 9 update
Post #2 Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:23 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 318
Was liked: 345
Hmm, Tygem died for me too, and still isn't working.

But Pandanet works just fine on my iPad Air (or whatever it's called), at least for observing.

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?" :)

If that doesn't work, consider deleting the app, and reinstalling it.

Good luck!

Post #3 Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:53 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
What worked for me many times on iPad/iPhone was to actually close all applications. Many users do not know that, not sure if you do - I did not when I got the devices. When you "close" any app by pressing the button to go back to "desktop" - the app does not really close but it runs in the background. This is why it opens so fast when you use it again.

To actually close the app, you need to - from the desktop - double-click the button. This will show the list of open and running apps - you might be amazed, every single app might be active and running in the background. Anyways, to properly close the app you need to scroll to the app and swipe-up with the finger. I periodically close all my running apps this way, especially before and/or after any iOS update. Makes life with iOS device much less troublesome and wrinkle-free.

Same goes for people having trouble with the Tygem client.

Not sure if this fixes the issue, but since the apps run on some devices and not on others - I'd say it is worth a try. Especially after the update, some apps which are still running might not get their libraries properly refreshed until they are actually closed and then re-opened.

Hope this helps.

Post #4 Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:08 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
Bantari wrote:
What worked for me many times on iPad/iPhone was to actually close all applications. Many users do not know that, not sure if you do - I did not when I got the devices. When you "close" any app by pressing the button to go back to "desktop" - the app does not really close but it runs in the background. This is why it opens so fast when you use it again.

To actually close the app, you need to - from the desktop - double-click the button. This will show the list of open and running apps - you might be amazed, every single app might be active and running in the background. Anyways, to properly close the app you need to scroll to the app and swipe-up with the finger. I periodically close all my running apps this way, especially before and/or after any iOS update. Makes life with iOS device much less troublesome and wrinkle-free.

Not sure if this fixes the issue, but since the apps run on some devices and not on others - I'd say it is worth a try. Especially after the update, some apps which are still running might not get their libraries properly refreshed until they are actually closed and then re-opened.

Hope this helps.

Bantari, although it is common to do so, iOS does not work like this (here's a reference for all of you who need references :D). Only the very very last opened applications are still open when you exit them through the button (or through a multitasking gesture.) And they "die" after a certain amount of time (with background refresh active it can be longer, but like us, they eventually die.) So opening the multitasking bar and closing opened apps is not specially useful once you've removed one or two. If you have issues with an app: reboot the device/re-install the app or do both. If it doesn't work, the app is quite likely to have an issue with the current incarnation of the OS.

Post #5 Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:02 pm 
Gosei

RBerenguel wrote:
Bantari wrote:

Hope this helps.

Bantari, although it is common to do so, iOS does not work like this (here's a reference for all of you who need references :D). Only the very very last opened applications are still open when you exit them through the button (or through a multitasking gesture.) And they "die" after a certain amount of time (with background refresh active it can be longer, but like us, they eventually die.) So opening the multitasking bar and closing opened apps is not specially useful once you've removed one or two. If you have issues with an app: reboot the device/re-install the app or do both. If it doesn't work, the app is quite likely to have an issue with the current incarnation of the OS.

You would think so, wouldn't you? I still think, though, that applications do not just die when you press the button - I can realy see all the apps I have been using since last close when I double-click the button, try it yourself. As for dying after a certain amount of time, this is possible, but the time has to be long - I know since often when I do that I can see applications which I did not use in at least a month or more.

The way I learned about that was that I myself had similar issue and when I took the iPhone to the Apple store, this is exactly what they did - and it fixed the issue. They also explained to me all of what I now explained to you - that apps do not simply "die" when you close them, and to properly close them, this is what you need to do.

Not sure if it matches the reference link you gave, or if it does not, why it doesn't it - but urban legend or not, I thought it is worth a try before rebooting, reinstalling, and so on. It takes a few seconds, and if it fixes the issue, like it did for me, what's the harm? You can still always reboot and reinstall later if it does not work.

Post #6 Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:28 am 
Gosei

Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
You should read the linked reference

Post #7 Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:50 am 
Oza

Liked others: 2338
Was liked: 1332
KGS: ez4u
RBerenguel wrote:

So I read the reference. Then I clicked through to the referenced reference and read that too. It is well written and makes sense. However, the author is an educator and (obviously heavy-duty) iPad user. He is not an Apple engineer and does not include any technical references in his blog post. So what we really seem to have is two more layers of typical, unsupported internet opinions. :)

Post #8 Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:25 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 159
Was liked: 36
Apple support documentation on Multitasking:

Under "Use Background App Refresh"

Quote:
After you switch to a different app, some apps run for a short period of time before they're set to a suspended state. Apps that are in a suspended state aren’t actively in use, open, or taking up system resources.

Here's developer information on background execution

There are some apps that will continue to run in the background, but these are very few (audio-players, gps, etc).

Post #9 Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:38 pm 
Gosei

RBerenguel wrote:

I did.

But I cannot simply dismiss the proof of my own experience - I went to Apple store, and the tech there (not a "genius", but an actual tech, dirty apron, screwdriver in breast pocket, all the works - come to me all the way from the back room, so must be important) told me what I told you, and did what I described, and that fixed my iPhone's app. So all I am saying is that it is worth a try.

It might be that the apps are not actually running in the background and only save their state, for example, but this is semantics and does not really influence the viability of what I suggest. I am not an iOS programmer, so you might be right there.

Here is an article about all this. It deals with the myth that closing those apps speeds up the device - it does not, and I never claimed it does - but it clearly states that
(a) messed up apps can be potentially "fixed" if restarted this way, and
(b) at least *some* apps do run in the background and can be closed this way.

http://www.howtogeek.com/204552/no-clos ... it-faster/

Other than this, as I said - it cannot hurt to try. Worst case, you are back to square one.

Sorry if you don't find that helpful. It helped me, so I though I'd share.

Post #10 Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:25 pm 
Gosei

Bantari wrote:
RBerenguel wrote:

I did.

But I cannot simply dismiss the proof of my own experience - I went to Apple store, and the tech there (not a "genius", but an actual tech, dirty apron, screwdriver in breast pocket, all the works - come to me all the way from the back room, so must be important) told me what I told you, and did what I described, and that fixed my iPhone's app. So all I am saying is that it is worth a try.

It might be that the apps are not actually running in the background and only save their state, for example, but this is semantics and does not really influence the viability of what I suggest. I am not an iOS programmer, so you might be right there.

Here is an article about all this. It deals with the myth that closing those apps speeds up the device - it does not, and I never claimed it does - but it clearly states that
(a) messed up apps can be potentially "fixed" if restarted this way, and
(b) at least *some* apps do run in the background and can be closed this way.

http://www.howtogeek.com/204552/no-clos ... it-faster/

Other than this, as I said - it cannot hurt to try. Worst case, you are back to square one.

Sorry if you don't find that helpful. It helped me, so I though I'd share.

It's usually much more effective to just reboot the device, statistically at least. Stuck apps on background are usually the smaller per cent, whereas OS-wide minor stupidities are the larger one. So, a reboot is the usual "recommended" way to clean up all the cruft that accumulated since your last reboot. I.e. if closing all (or most) apps will solve problem X, rebooting will solve problems X, Y, Z and a few more (and reinstalling will solve problems V and W, so doing all is usually a guarantee that the issue is not with your device but with the app.)

Post subject:
Post #11 Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:45 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
I have some questions about the Pandanet app on the iPhone.
( I can start a new thread if it's easier. )

In the meantime, for those who are running Pandanet on iOS ( iPad or iPhone ):

- How to access the Console from the app ? ( Is it even possible ? )
- How to toggle chat/kibitz while Observing a game ?
- How to censor/ignore a user ?
- How to change the cartoonish font of the kibitz/chat ?

Please see attached 2 screenshots, on an iPhone.
I could not figure out the answers to the above questions.

Thanks.

Screenshot 1 of kibitz and cartoonish font:
Attachment:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 156.45 KiB | Viewed 10113 times ]
Screenshot 2 of Settings -- nowhere to find Console, kibitz, or font:
Attachment:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 70.68 KiB | Viewed 10113 times ]

Post #12 Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:05 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 319
Was liked: 287
Universal go server handle: jeromie
The kibitz is available via the speech bubble menu item near the bottom in your first image.

I'm not sure of the answers to your other questions, but I suspect they are non-configurable.

Post subject:
Post #13 Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:32 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
jeromie wrote:
The kibitz is available via the speech bubble
Hi Jeromie,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry, maybe my question was ambiguous.

I know how to access chat with the bubble button.
My question is how to toggle it -- in other words,
how to disable ( mute ) and enable ( un-mute ) all kibitz from other users.
Please see 2 more screenshots; I cannot find a Mute button.
Attachment:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 151.17 KiB | Viewed 10064 times ]
Attachment:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 93.45 KiB | Viewed 10064 times ]
Thanks.

Post #14 Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:52 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 319
Was liked: 287
Universal go server handle: jeromie
Oh, I see. That would be nice! I can't find an option for that either. If you do find a way, please share it!

You can add someone to your blacklist through their page in the Net Social Plaza. I'm not sure if that mutes their kibitz, though, or just automatically refuses games. I don't have anyone I care to try it on at the moment. :-) You can get there by clicking someone's name in the list of players and choosing "See in Net Social Plaza". You can also search for a member in the net social plaza. It might be worth a try...