It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: My US Open Games
Post #21 Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:04 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Kirby wrote:
For Game4, I thought your opening was pretty good. I really like Stephanie's comment for :b39:.

In the opening, white made a decent and pretty efficient formation on the right side. If you cap and attack his group, you get power in the center, and it keeps the right side from getting big.

Where the SGF file ends, it looks like white has some potential in the right/center. Outside of this, white's only sizable territory is in the bottom left, and you have 3 big corners... I think if you can attack with :b39: cap and reduce the right (for example, maybe R8 will work in the future), game will be in your favor.

Let me second the idea of capping the White group. Such a cap is called topping the tree. It is bigger than it looks. Black can attack the White group and build up strength in the center. Then he can reduce the right side or invade the top side, or both. :) Black will have a winnable game.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: Calvin Clark

Post #22 Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:14 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 186
Was liked: 191
Game5:

Thanks for joining, Bill. I hope you like this one. I tried something a bit different, but it became normal soon.

This post by Calvin Clark was liked by: Kirby

Post #23 Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:17 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 81
Was liked: 128
KGS: lepore
Your game 5 is interesting. Not sure what stronger players will think, but here are a few quick thoughts:

Move 2: This is aggressive, but it seems you made out fine. You played a joseki and got to be the first to play in a second corner, which is unusual as white.

Move 22: Seems passive. Black's corner is not yet definitely his, yet this move allows b to followup, making his corner more solid. For move 22, I would either approach lower left stone, or if feeling bold, play around F14/15 to link your stones on a large scale. Then you could presumably use this power in other parts of the board.

Move 28: This invasion seemed early, and you ended up hurting some of what you had.

Move 46: I would once space jump instead of going in corner. This is the only way your lower right stones will come to life. Once B got 59, your lower right stones really became unimportant.

This post by mhlepore was liked by 2 people: Calvin Clark, Kirby

Post #24 Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:54 pm 
Lives in gote

This is game5 with some comments from Guo Juan 5p. I came to many of the same conclusions, but there were some key things I missed.

Post #25 Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:03 pm 
Lives in gote

Bill Spight wrote:
Let me second the idea of capping the White group. Such a cap is called topping the tree. It is bigger than it looks.

It is the first feeling, but I think I chickened out. This is case where more thinking led to an inferior move. Also, my whole strategy starting at :b31: was to erase white's potential through attacking (because I couldn't see a way to do it directly). So skipping that cap also represented a change in a viable plan.

Post #26 Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:42 am 
Lives in gote

Game6:

This post by Calvin Clark was liked by: Kirby

Post #27 Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:39 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
I think :b11: makes more sense when white didn't play E2 (e.g. when white played G3 instead). That's because E7 aims for black to be able to play E2 - it's more efficient than if black stone were at E6.

But in this case, since black will not play E2, I think the regular E6 is fine for moving out (since the reason it's not usually played in the other case is the over-concentrated shape after black E2).

F3 is also a move you probably want to play soon - it's probably bigger than B2.

Anyway, congratulations on your win! A result of 2-4 is much closer to even than a result of 1-5!

I enjoyed following your experiences and your games.

Post #28 Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:47 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Also, after :w20:, I want to continue attacking with F4. But I can see your apprehension about being cut. So maybe you can first play C8 crosscut, aiming to fix the cut in sente. Then you can play F4 with that sente. Since white ignored you, I want to punish him.

Post #29 Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:36 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 81
Was liked: 128
KGS: lepore
Kirby wrote:
Also, after :w20:, I want to continue attacking with F4. But I can see your apprehension about being cut. So maybe you can first play C8 crosscut, aiming to fix the cut in sente. Then you can play F4 with that sente. Since white ignored you, I want to punish him.

I felt similarly. Calvin seems good at getting an attack going, but maybe doesn't understand just how effective his prior moves have been and switches gears. Same at move 91 in top right of board later on. I would have kept up the pressure.

Post #30 Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:54 pm 
Lives in gote

game6, with short comments from Guo Juan 5p:

Post #31 Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:06 pm 
Lives in gote

mhlepore wrote:
Kirby wrote:

I felt similarly. Calvin seems good at getting an attack going, but maybe doesn't understand just how effective his prior moves have been and switches gears. Same at move 91 in top right of board later on. I would have kept up the pressure.

+1.

The degree to which F4 is strong is something I didn't appreciate until white played there. Certainly instead of :b39: this is the place. My play lacked severity in multiple places in this game, so I was lucky to win it. I was very disappointed that I missed B9, but playing inside to keep an opponent's weak group unsettled is something that is hard to judge as it can easily backfire when the opponent tries to escape. Guo Juan showed me some ways white could try to get out, and showed there decent responses for black, all of which I would have missed as they are almost tesuji, though a dan player sitting nearby said he would have seen them if he was looking for them but also admitted he wouldn't have considered white's resources either.

The upper right shape is one I would have punished earlier in a blitz game, but in a longer game, I psych myself out of it.

I think in longer games I am less enterprising and more careful, but in this case it was too careful.