Post subject: Re: My experiences from the 2016 U.S. Go Congress
Post #41 Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:26 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Calvin Clark wrote:
I won my last game, but I can't say it's a masterpiece. It is more like attacking style gone bad and I was forced to kill to win. See the game.

That leaves me at a 2-4 record. Every aspect of my game needs work, but I guess that is a general truth for almost all players. I would like to find a way to play more regularly.

I look forward to the banquet!

Thanks for your great reporting of the week. It gave me some perspective of what it was like. I really enjoyed it.

Enjoy the banquet!

Post #42 Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:47 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 186
Was liked: 191
Kirby wrote:
Enjoy the banquet!

Sorry you couldn't come this year! I think it was a great Congress.

This post by Calvin Clark was liked by: Kirby

Post #43 Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:01 pm 
Honinbo

Calvin Clark wrote:
Sorry you couldn't come this year!

Yes, me too. It was a pretty depressing week. Your thread here, the live streams, and photos people posted on Facebook helped a bit. I appreciate it very much :salute:

By the way, I saw someone post something to the effect of a lecture on watching games online (with Kim Myungwan and Andrew Jackson). Did you happen to go to that? I'm kind of curious about how much they can really talk about with that topic. I'd assume you'd just... watch online - perhaps actively, trying to understand the reasons behind moves. Was there really a lecture like this?

Post #44 Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:01 pm 
Honinbo

Calvin Clark wrote:
I think it was a great Congress.

Oh, and I'm glad it was a success :-)

Post subject: Saturday at the 2016 U.S. Go Congress
Post #45 Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:09 pm 
Lives in gote

The banquet was pretty large, as is fitting for the best-attended U.S. Go Congress ever. (It's also the one with the most players in the Open.)

Attachment:
banquet.png
banquet.png [ 454.07 KiB | Viewed 16278 times ]

Usually, the last day of the Congress and for a few days after, I feel a sort of ennui. This year is no different. Partly, it's due to knowing that this has to end that I need to go back the real world. There are people I won't see until next year. I watched their lives in snapshots, which gives the illusion of time flying. Of course, any year, there will be some people who are not coming back, all with various excuses up to and including the final and inarguable one. None of us will be seeing Nakayama Noriyuki sensei or Yoshi or T Mark or Landon Brownell or any of many others who will be sorely missed.

Two years ago today I was not at Go Congress in New York, which was the first one I missed since I started going in 2004. I had a good excuse---it was the day my mother died. At least I got to visit her once more before and be there with my family.

Life invades in happier ways, too. It was a a Congress that I found out I was going to be father. (Imagine playing a 90-minute open game after getting that call!)

This post by Calvin Clark was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, Kirby

Post #46 Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:33 pm 
Lives in gote

Kirby wrote:
By the way, I saw someone post something to the effect of a lecture on watching games online (with Kim Myungwan and Andrew Jackson). Did you happen to go to that? I'm kind of curious about how much they can really talk about with that topic. I'd assume you'd just... watch online - perhaps actively, trying to understand the reasons behind moves. Was there really a lecture like this?

In saw the first part of this. Basically, you're right. It's active watching.

Let's say you want to get more from this video which I randomly selected from the youtube.com/usgoweb channel. This was posted on June 11, 2016. You can go to the KGS archives at http://www.gokgs.com, search for games by the player USGO1 and find games from that date. If you're lucky, you'll find one that matches. (For some commentaries, it might be USGO2.) Here it is for this one:

So go over that game record first before watching the video. Then you can also take notes in the game record. Pause the video and think about positions at certain points. Try to count and compare your count to whatever Mygungwan is saying later, etc.

I didn't stay for much more than this, but it's informative to know that it's often possible to find those game records on KGS.

This post by Calvin Clark was liked by: Kirby

Post #47 Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:08 pm 
Honinbo

I like the idea of getting your own opinion on the game first, and then comparing with Myungwan's.

There is some element of excitement in watching a game live, but perhaps you wouldn't learn as much that way.

Post #48 Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:47 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 886
Was liked: 527
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
When I watch a video of a live game (either commentary, or streamed by one of the players), I frequently pause and try to figure things out myself. This isn't quite the same as going through the whole game record beforehand, because you've been influenced by previous commentary, but it's still a nice way to stay actively engaged with the game instead of just taking it in passively.

Post subject: Re: Saturday at the 2016 U.S. Go Congress
Post #49 Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:05 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 93
Was liked: 55
Universal go server handle: swannod
Calvin Clark wrote:
Life invades in happier ways, too. It was a a Congress that I found out I was going to be father. (Imagine playing a 90-minute open game after getting that call!)

Congrats! :)

I was Calvin's opponent for round 4. Again thanks so much for doing the Congress writeups. As I said in person they were a huge influence on convincing me to attend.

This post by swannod was liked by: Calvin Clark

Post #50 Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:14 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 318
Was liked: 345
Thanks for your write-up. You and Swanod, in his blog, did a fine job of keeping non-attendees updated.

I enjoyed this congress, as usual, and it was great meeting fellow L19'ers. It is funny how, as the years go on, I care less about the go, and more about go friends.

I'll post a congress overview video soon. And then plenty of blunders. :(

This post by wineandgolover was liked by: Calvin Clark

Post #51 Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:26 am 
Honinbo

Somehow missed swannod's blog. I will check it out. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Thursday at the 2016 U.S. Go Congress
Post #52 Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:57 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 318
Was liked: 345
Calvin Clark wrote:
Today's featured photo is my lunch. The Street Food selection today was Saag Paneer and Channa Masala with Basmati rice. As Go Congress fare, goes, not too shabby. (Honestly, I'm not one of those people who posts their food. Seriously, if I've met you at Go Congress you can friend me on Facebook and I don't think you'll see much food. Or politics.) But people are sometimes concerned about whether a food plan makes sense for Go Congress. It definitely depends on your preferences or restrictions, but I'm happy this year.

Pro tip. Some congresses require buying the meal plan if you get a room. And some locations are so remote that buying the meal plan is needed (think rural NC). Barring these two conditions, I recommend considering NOT buying the meal plan. You can still buy individual meals in the cafeteria, but you gain great flexibility to eat even better out. There were probably more than 20 worthy restaurants within 15 minutes of the playing area. Rumor has it that buying the meal plan this year saved nothing over buying individual meals.

Post #53 Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:04 am 
Honinbo

swannod wrote:
Calvin Clark wrote:

Congrats! :)

I was Calvin's opponent for round 4. Again thanks so much for doing the Congress writeups. As I said in person they were a huge influence on convincing me to attend.

Just read your blog posts for all 7 days of your go congress experience. Thank you for writing them. They were well written.

Post #54 Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:15 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 93
Was liked: 55
Universal go server handle: swannod
Kirby wrote:
Just read your blog posts for all 7 days of your go congress experience. Thank you for writing them. They were well written.

Thanks!

Post #55 Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:58 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
wineandgolover wrote:
Calvin Clark wrote:
Today's featured photo is my lunch. The Street Food selection today was Saag Paneer and Channa Masala with Basmati rice. As Go Congress fare, goes, not too shabby. (Honestly, I'm not one of those people who posts their food. Seriously, if I've met you at Go Congress you can friend me on Facebook and I don't think you'll see much food. Or politics.) But people are sometimes concerned about whether a food plan makes sense for Go Congress. It definitely depends on your preferences or restrictions, but I'm happy this year.

Pro tip. Some congresses require buying the meal plan if you get a room. And some locations are so remote that buying the meal plan is needed (think rural NC). Barring these two conditions, I recommend considering NOT buying the meal plan. You can still buy individual meals in the cafeteria, but you gain great flexibility to eat even better out. There were probably more than 20 worthy restaurants within 15 minutes of the playing area. Rumor has it that buying the meal plan this year saved nothing over buying individual meals.

Had I realized ahead of time that it was not required this year, I would not have bought one. The requirement (or lack thereof) was not clear upon registration. Most of my meal tickets went unused this year - not one evening meal on campus (too far to walk).

Post #56 Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:50 am 
Lives in gote

xed_over wrote:
The requirement (or lack thereof) was not clear upon registration. Most of my meal tickets went unused this year - not one evening meal on campus (too far to walk).

I see your point there. I attended some evening things and because my ticket was for West there wasn't time to go for dinner, so I wasted at least a couple of meal tickets, too. What might be good is if we could get refunded for unused tickets.

Post #57 Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:13 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 10
Was liked: 47
As a previous director, i know that some of the pricing negotiations with the facility are dependent on meal plans; usually either a minimum number of room-nights is required, or a minimum number of meal plans, or both, to have certain levels of pricing for the rooms, etc.

Most often, the facility *requires* that onsite attendees have meal-plans.

It would be great if they'd allow refunds, but at that point the money basically already has gone to the facility; we've never been at a facility that offered refunds for uneaten meals, AFAIK. That would be amazing. :o

This post by seigenblues was liked by: Joaz Banbeck

Post #58 Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:52 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 542
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
When I used to go to US Go Congresses, I found that eating at the venue possible valuable social interactions (such as getting to know some pro players). For me eating great food was not the main point of being at a Congress. It would be best if the food venue were close to the playing venue, though.

This post by gowan was liked by: xed_over