It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 11th Chunlan Cup
Post #41 Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:50 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 51
Was liked: 35
KGS: clemi
According to Nie Wei Ping in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys3Rl9bhXrM

white had a good start after the first exchange at the top right (after W Q12, white right side has almost no aji whereas black influence at the top still needs to be demonstrated).

Then after the second exchange in the left bottom and white got sente to play the G16 move, annihilating black's top influence, the game was almost lost for Ke Jie.

In the post match interview,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys3Rl9bhXrM&t=43m0s

Ke Jie said that he still doesn't know what is the good play for black after the first exchange at the top right since he too thinks that white is better.

This post by clemi was liked by: Uberdude

Post #42 Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:24 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Thanks for the comments about the top right: that attachment does seem to be played a lot these days in a variety of positions and gets some nice results. But I can't help but wonder if the blame can be traced back to the solid connect at the lower right (move 11). I know this is a very common move, and the idea is to not give white the sente turn (though not 100% as we see in related AlphaGo opening) to bolster the right side so leaving more severe invasion aji, but it just looks so inefficient to me with the original shimari stone. I had a look at ps.waltheri and it has a bad win percentage whilst push on top is good, so I think my feelings may be be onto something here. I can't imagine AlphaGo would play the connection, and in the related AlphaGo opening with a 3-4 high approach attach under joseki in progress at top right it famously prefers to push on top instead of descend to 2nd line.
Attachment:
SolidConnect.GIF
SolidConnect.GIF [ 92.84 KiB | Viewed 9498 times ]

Post #43 Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:56 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 9
Was liked: 8
Uberdude wrote:
Thanks for the comments about the top right: that attachment does seem to be played a lot these days in a variety of positions and gets some nice results. But I can't help but wonder if the blame can be traced back to the solid connect at the lower right (move 11). I know this is a very common move, and the idea is to not give white the sente turn (though not 100% as we see in related AlphaGo opening) to bolster the right side so leaving more severe invasion aji, but it just looks so inefficient to me with the original shimari stone. I had a look at ps.waltheri and it has a bad win percentage whilst push on top is good, so I think my feelings may be be onto something here. I can't imagine AlphaGo would play the connection, and in the related AlphaGo opening with a 3-4 high approach attach under joseki in progress at top right it famously prefers to push on top instead of descend to 2nd line.
Attachment:
SolidConnect.GIF

Hi, could you tell me what website or application your screen capture is from? Thank you!

Post #44 Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:59 am 
Judan

http://ps.waltheri.net/ made by Jan Prokop, a Czech player.

This post by Uberdude was liked by: TheCannyOnion

Post #45 Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:01 am 
Dies with sente

For those of you who speak Chinese, here is an analysis of the game between Ke Jie and Park Yeong-hun by Chang Hao (9p).

If anyone who has watched this could give us a summary, it'd be much appreciated. I myself am specifically interested in what Chang Hao thinks is the losing move(s) or losing exchange(s) for Ke Jie.

Post #46 Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:07 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 22
Was liked: 98
Some summary of the video:

1. Chang Hao liked the exchange at the top-right for white (around the 17:30 mark in the video) since by move 38, white got very good territory on the right especially given black spent two extra moves.

2. Chang Hao questioned b53 (@29:00), thinking extending up at C10 or playing E4 first would be better. He thought even though black ended up capturing the two middle stones, white got more territory from the left and the bottom where Park could focus on reducing b's potential with move 66. Black wasn't necessarily behind by then, but it was always a question how Ke could efficiently turn the outside influence into real points.

3. He wondered (@39:25) if before b85, black could have played the cut at C12 first, or maybe as a ko threat when the ko was still active. An exchange of c12 + b12 would allow b to extend at e13 later to connect instead of resorting to h14. H14 ended up helping white as w just naturally sacrificed the one stone while eliminating all the influence b had from the right group. By move 98, he said it's going to be difficult for b in term of territory. He did a count at that time (@45:00) and had both b and w at 55 points, and w had little weakness by then.

This post by xiayun was liked by: jptavan

Post #47 Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:26 am 
Dies with sente

xiayun wrote:

1. Chang Hao liked the exchange at the top-right for white (around the 17:30 mark in the video) since by move 38, white got very good territory on the right especially given black spent two extra moves.

2. Chang Hao questioned b53 (@29:00), thinking extending up at C10 or playing E4 first would be better. He thought even though black ended up capturing the two middle stones, white got more territory from the left and the bottom where Park could focus on reducing b's potential with move 66. Black wasn't necessarily behind by then, but it was always a question how Ke could efficiently turn the outside influence into real points.

3. He wondered (@39:25) if before b85, black could have played the cut at C12 first, or maybe as a ko threat when the ko was still active. An exchange of c12 + b12 would allow b to extend at e13 later to connect instead of resorting to h14. H14 ended up helping white as w just naturally sacrificed the one stone while eliminating all the influence b had from the right group. By move 98, he said it's going to be difficult for b in term of territory. He did a count at that time (@45:00) and had both b and w at 55 points, and w had little weakness by then.

Thank you very much!

Post #48 Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:27 am 
Dies with sente

xiayun wrote:

Thank you very much, and happy holidays!

Post #49 Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:41 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Hi,
does anyone know when the final is taking place ?
Thanks a lot

Post #50 Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:41 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 72
Was liked: 479
KGS: macelee
AleXi3l wrote:
Hi,
does anyone know when the final is taking place ?
Thanks a lot

June 2017

Post #51 Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:57 pm 
Lives in gote

The Best of 3 final between Park Yeong-hun and Tan Xiao will start on 06/23.

Post #52 Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:13 pm 
Lives in gote

The start time has changed from 9:30am to 11:00am local time (8pm PST) to fit the CCTV broadcasting schedule. And apparently there will be a match for 3rd place too, between Ke Jie and Gu Zihao; don't know why that's needed.

Post #53 Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:01 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 124
Was liked: 364
KGS: wolfking6504
Tygem: wolfking97
Results from June 23rd

Ke Jie beat Gu Zihao for 11th consecutive win after the AG matches and won the 3rd place.

Tan Xiao beat Park Yeong-hun in game 1 (best of 3) by killing a big dragon. Park resigned at move 184.

Post #54 Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:54 am 
Judan

wolfking wrote:
Ke Jie beat Gu Zihao for 11th consecutive win after the AG matches and won the 3rd place.

As some people seem to take this win streak (and Lee's after his match) as evidence playing AlphaGo made them stronger (similar claim about Fan Hui), it's worth pointing out that for top players like Lee/Ke such win streaks are not unheard of, for example Ke had a 17 game win streak Oct 2013 - Apr 2017 (of games in go4go) and 2 11s in Jun-Jul 2014 and Aug-Sep 2015, and quite a few 7-9s.

Post #55 Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:56 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 44
Was liked: 218
GD Posts: 10
A lot of Chinese news have headline like 'Are there any 'human' that can defeat Ke Jie now?' or something like that from Google translate. But since Ke Jie also love being in the spotlight I think this is the win-win situation.

Post #56 Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:39 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
pookpooi wrote:
A lot of Chinese news have headline like 'Are there any 'human' that can defeat Ke Jie now?' or something like that from Google translate. But since Ke Jie also love being in the spotlight I think this is the win-win situation.

Care to explain what you meant by "Ke Jie also love being in the spotlight I think this is the win-win situation"?

How does he love being in the spotlight? What evidence or examples do you have in backing up this assertion of yours?

Post #57 Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:31 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 44
Was liked: 218
GD Posts: 10
ewan1971 wrote:
How does he love being in the spotlight? What evidence or examples do you have in backing up this assertion of yours?

Finding evidence to back up subjective claim is harder than objective claim

Post #58 Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:24 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
pookpooi wrote:
ewan1971 wrote:

So posting on social media and not minding other people talking about what he posts is the same as loving the spotlight?

Post #59 Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:41 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
ewan1971 wrote:
pookpooi wrote:
ewan1971 wrote:

So posting on social media and not minding other people talking about what he posts is the same as loving the spotlight?

Haha for a GO player I think its a fair statement! I mean, we don't talk about GO players like they're fashion models who "love the spotlight". He gives us a sense that he likes the competition in GO as well as the celebrity part of it. He's good at interacting with the media and likes to talk to his fans. For a GO player, thats enough spotlight loving :p

Post #60 Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:56 am 
Judan

qingshu wrote:
Haha for a GO player I think its a fair statement! I mean, we don't talk about GO players like they're fashion models who "love the spotlight".

Talking of fashion, check this photoshoot/interview Ke Jie did:
https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s?__biz=MzA5NT ... Tu1QneRolx

As for the final, in the 2nd game Park Yeonghun beat Tan Xiao by half a point after a long endgame, as is his speciality. So it goes to a deciding 3rd game (probably day after tomorrow).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next