All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pro Malkovich at 2017 Congress
Post #1 Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:04 am 
Judan

Liked others: 1102
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
I just received the blessing of Ted Terpstra, the director of the 2017 Go Congress, to sponsor live Malkovich games between pros at Congress.

What I plan to do is have two lecture rooms side by side, each room having the usual setup of an audience in seats, and a pro with a magnetic board on an easel. The two pros will play a live game, taking questions from their respective audiences as they decide upon their moves. A moderator - probably me - will shuttle back and forth conveying moves.

I plan to have video recordings from each room, and to splice them together afterwards. ( There are some weird complications with audio/visual equipment at this hotel, so I can't guarantee this. )

There will be no fee for this. It will be free for all attendees. ( Although there will be a tip jar )

Any suggestions for particularly articulate pros will be appreciated.

Also, we may need interpreters.

This post by Joaz Banbeck was liked by 6 people: Bill Spight, Bonobo, daal, Drew, ez4u, wineandgolover

Post subject: Re: Pro Malkovich at 2017 Congress
Post #2 Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:49 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Good idea - I like it.

If you have a game recorder in each room, you could simply convey the moves electronically instead of walking back and forth.

Probably doesn't make a big difference in any case, but just an idea.

Post #3 Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:36 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 542
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
Obviously Michael Redmond might be one of the ones articulate in English. Another idea is Haylee, though she has reverted to amateur status. Guo Juan is another idea. WHich pros are expected to attend?

I remember there was a demonstration game at a US Go Congress quite a few years ago, maybe the 10th in DC, between Michael Redmond, then 7p (?), and one of the CHinese pros in attendance. Michael won the game. A live commentary was given by Yilun Yang.

Post #4 Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:05 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
Kirby wrote:
If you have a game recorder in each room, you could simply convey the moves electronically instead of walking back and forth.

and if you plan on using EJournal game recorders and equipment, be sure to talk to them first (journal @ usgo dot org). Don't assume that its available for Congress staff to use. Depending on their schedule (which is already quite full), they also have the experience to help with the setup and room layout.

Post #5 Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:46 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
I remember when we used walkie-talkies. ;)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #6 Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:27 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1102
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
I'm sorry to say that this is not going to happen - at least not this year.

Those of you who know the history of Malkovich games may recall that I started the first one to occupy my time when I wanted an asynchronous way of playing online go so that I would be available to help my wife while she recovered from foot surgery. Now, in a horribly ironic twist, she has another surgery scheduled in late July, and is due to come home from the hospital about 3 days before Congress starts.