It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for a go teacher
Post #1 Posted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:49 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
KGS: Sylarr
Hello everyone :D , im new on this forum, and i would like to know if there are like "teacher who could help me to improve my go skills, im very active i play around 2 games a day when im busy, im looking for somebody serious who can follow my progression and learn me all that i need to know for each level that i reach. ;-) . Sorry for my bad english, (im french :oops: )

Post subject: Re: Looking for a go teacher
Post #2 Posted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:30 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
Sylarr wrote:
Hello everyone :D , im new on this forum, and i would like to know if there are like "teacher who could help me to improve my go skills, im very active i play around 2 games a day when im busy, im looking for somebody serious who can follow my progression and learn me all that i need to know for each level that i reach. ;-) . Sorry for my bad english, (im french :oops: )

It might not be constant but one idea is try the KGS Teaching Ladder on KGS. At your skill level, there will usually be people willing to help point out some mistakes. You can also try the Life in 19x19 room but less people.

Post #3 Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:52 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 238
Was liked: 60
Hi,
if you have the possibility, I warmly recommend you to try taking contact with the French Go Federation:
http://ffg.jeudego.org
Also if IMHO at your present level you do not really need a teacher, there are several good things that will happen playing in the real world and receiving some good advices, review of your games and lessons from more experienced player is only a small part of that.

Good life & good Go!
:tmbup:
Galation

Post #4 Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:22 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 23
Was liked: 43
Galation wrote:
IMHO at your present level you do not really need a teacher
imho, Galation is talking through his hat. There are lots of things in life we can fudge our way through without having a clue as to what we are doing, but only the dog can do that for Go, because she can undertake millions of trial-and-errors in the blink of an eye.

there is a recent invention that may be of some use, and a lot cheaper than hiring a pro - it's called the printing press, and it amazingly allows a teacher to spread wisdom without lifting a finger. it's therefore rather ironic that the very first thing they used this remarkable technology for was to spread bullshit.

the very first Go book i ever read was the first book in Ishi Press Elementary Go Series - forget the author's name now - but i haven't come across a better introduction anywhere, in print or on video, in the 40 or so years since.

And even if your daddy isn't rich, there is no better or more affordable online teaching pro team on the entire planet than Guo Juan and her friends. And she speaks French, as do all decent, civilised people, unlike those uncultured Rosbif savages over the ditch; William's only mistake was to take the money and build a bridge to Europe, but fortunately the fools over there don't know a good thing when they see it and are determined to sink without a trace as the sun sets once and for all on the pink maps and serve them bloody well right.

You could ask Swim too, i suppose, but she is a bit busy mending bicycles right now.

Post #5 Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:41 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 47
Universal go server handle: djllap
Check out Kaz Sensei.

http://kazsensei.com/

He does offline lessons that involve go problems tailored to your needs and game reviews. I just started taking lessons with him and have really enjoyed them.