It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Final Stage of 3rd MLily Cup Begins on June 19th
Post #61 Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:17 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 24
Was liked: 16
pookpooi wrote:
I think this should be the last human tournament that has AI participate in it regardless of the outcome.
But I'm not the one who pay the money to the winner, to run the event, so... I'll just watch it quietly here ;)

Strongly disagree with your negative views, AI should and will participate more and more.

Post #62 Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:45 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 886
Was liked: 527
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
alphaville wrote:
Strongly disagree with your negative views, AI should and will participate more and more.

I think there's a time limit to how long it would be interesting to have AIs compete together with humans. Certainly there's completely no point in chess, and I don't see much reason that AIs wouldn't be able to put a similar margin in skill between themselves and humans eventually.

Post #63 Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:47 am 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
alphaville wrote:

I also expect this will be the last one. I don't think they ever should have participated in tournaments with people. The special matches outside of normal tournaments were fine.

Post #64 Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:00 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 22
Was liked: 98
Besides Ryan, there are a number of other new faces as well. He Yang, e.g., just got his 1P last year and isn't even listed on goratings yet.

Post #65 Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:54 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 542
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
I doubt that there would be any super strong AIs except that for playing games like chess and go are simple, easy test projects. The success of AlphaGo and other strong AIs is commendable but go and chess are still just games with little significance in the wider world. AI should get on with the real job of improving life on the planet in general.

Post #66 Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:40 pm 
Dies with sente

oren wrote:
alphaville wrote:

I also expect this will be the last one. I don't think they ever should have participated in tournaments with people. The special matches outside of normal tournaments were fine.

Why so? It makes the games more interesting! It will depends on the sponsors really to decide.

Post #67 Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:42 pm 
Dies with sente

gowan wrote:
I doubt that there would be any super strong AIs except that for playing games like chess and go are simple, easy test projects. The success of AlphaGo and other strong AIs is commendable but go and chess are still just games with little significance in the wider world. AI should get on with the real job of improving life on the planet in general.

Really? :-)

Post #68 Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:21 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
gowan wrote:

What specific "real jobs" do you have in mind? There have already been huge strides in a number of fields due to:
* Advancements in hardware
* Lots of data
* Machine learning techniques that can exploit the two items above

Computer vision, speech recognition, etc., have improved immensely. Customized experiences on the web (e.g. google news, Amazon product recommendations, etc.) have made the user experience online much more personal. Machine learning and AI are affecting many areas of life right now. And with the data and hardware that's currently available, things that used to be less feasible are now becoming reality.

Even "AlphaGo" was used to save 40% on cooling costs for data centers: https://deepmind.com/blog/deepmind-ai-r ... g-bill-40/, which is a very "real" problem.

I think in our lifetimes, many aspects of living will change at a rapid pace...

This post by Kirby was liked by 2 people: Calvin Clark, wolfking

Post #69 Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:25 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 186
Was liked: 191
Bill Spight wrote:
I agree that the program that enters the tournament should play the whole tournament.

Should humans also be prohibited from improving between rounds? I wonder how that would be enforced :)

I take the view that computer participation is about the performance of the authors of the program rather than the program itself (although with neural networks, the authors often don't understand what the program is doing). As such, it's a kind of programming/design competition. Of course, this is a mixed situation, and whether that should be allowed at all is a separate question.

Post #70 Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:30 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 186
Was liked: 191
Kirby wrote:
What specific "real jobs" do you have in mind?

I like this job.

This post by Calvin Clark was liked by 2 people: Baywa, Kirby

Post #71 Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:23 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
Uberdude wrote:
- Ryan Li beat Chen Yaoye !!!!!!!!!!
Huge congratulations :clap: :clap: :clap: :bow: :bow: Probably the biggest ever upset by a Western player, over Hans beating Yoda, Dinerstein beating O Rissei or Aguilar's wins.

I hadn't remembered, but apparently Ryan Li has previously defeated both Lee Sedol 9p in the 2013 Chunlan Cup and Ke Jie 9p for the 2016 Bailing Cup
http://www.usgo.org/news/2017/06/ryan-l ... -final-16/

Post #72 Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:05 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 22
Was liked: 98
xed_over wrote:
Uberdude wrote:
Huge congratulations :clap: :clap: :clap: :bow: :bow: Probably the biggest ever upset by a Western player, over Hans beating Yoda, Dinerstein beating O Rissei or Aguilar's wins.

I hadn't remembered, but apparently Ryan Li has previously defeated both Lee Sedol 9p in the 2013 Chunlan Cup and Ke Jie 9p for the 2016 Bailing Cup

Was there a typo before? The current version is referring to Chen Yaoye for those accomplishments.

Post #73 Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:07 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
xiayun wrote:
xed_over wrote:
Uberdude wrote:

Was there a typo before? The current version is referring to Chen Yaoye for those accomplishments.

maybe I misread then...that would make more sense, wouldn't it.

Post #74 Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:09 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 4
xed_over wrote:
maybe I misread then...that would make more sense, wouldn't it.

To be fair, it sounds a little weird to me that they started off by saying "The 27-year-old Chen’s accomplishments as a pro include defeating Lee Sedol 9p in the 2013 Chunlan Cup and Ke Jie 9p, the top current player, for the 2016 Bailing Cup.." and then casually mentioning at the end "as well as winning 17 other national and continental titles."

Post #75 Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:17 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 44
Was liked: 218
GD Posts: 10
Ryan Li rating shoot from 2998 to 3101
Chen Yaoye though, decrease very little, from 3523 to 3511 so it's not the end of the world for him, just the end of the tournament.
In Fox the most watched room is Park Jungwhan vs. Zhou Ruiyang, followed by DeepZenGo.

Post #76 Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:08 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 26
Was liked: 4
Quote:
To be fair, it sounds a little weird to me that they started off by saying "The 27-year-old Chen’s accomplishments as a pro include defeating Lee Sedol 9p in the 2013 Chunlan Cup and Ke Jie 9p, the top current player, for the 2016 Bailing Cup.." and then casually mentioning at the end "as well as winning 17 other national and continental titles."

Perhaps they want to address non-Go fans who only heard about Ke Jie and Lee Sedol via the match against Alpha Go?

Post #77 Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:54 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
kimidori wrote:
Quote:

Perhaps they want to address non-Go fans who only heard about Ke Jie and Lee Sedol via the match against Alpha Go?

Seems plausible to me, though I think they should have stuck in "and the Chinese Tianyuan title a record 8 times in a row".

P.S. Chen Yaoye has a fond place in my heart as he played a promotion game (for the Go-n-Games China trip I subsequently went on) on KGS many years ago against a high dan and in the kibitz I (then a ddk) asked if some other sequence would have been better for black and some dan player said no, my idea was bad, and then in the review Chen said my suggestion would have been better :D .

This post by Uberdude was liked by 3 people: Bill Spight, gamesorry, xiayun

Post #78 Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:14 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 40
Was liked: 10
Uberdude wrote:
P.S. Chen Yaoye has a fond place in my heart
I do like these Chinese guys, especially Zhou Ruiyang since the latest AlphaGo event. They seem to be pretty cool and laid-back - not blasé at all - as shown in the "famous" facepalm-picture.

P.S. And Ke Jie didn't seem arrogant either.

Post #79 Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:08 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 124
Was liked: 364
KGS: wolfking6504
Tygem: wolfking97
Some photos from round of 32

Wang Haoyang 6p half point win over DeepZenGo
Ryan Li 1p 2 1/2 point win over Chen Yaoye 9p

Follow this link on Sina Sports you can view slide show of final 16 players drawing next round's match up
http://slide.sports.sina.com.cn/go/slid ... 3.html#p=1

Post #80 Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:13 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
pookpooi wrote:
Ryan Li rating shoot from 2998 to 3101
Chen Yaoye though, decrease very little, from 3523 to 3511 so it's not the end of the world for him, just the end of the tournament.

Pretty sure that Chen Yaoye doesn't care that much about his 'goratings.org' rating. He probably doesn't even know about the site.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next