It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 2017 Chinese Pro Qualification
Post #21 Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:05 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
Quote:
John you are right that the bottom half of 莘 is 辛 which is 'xin', but the reading of 莘 is 'shen'. It is kind of rare character but does appear frequently in people's names and especially in the phrase '莘莘学子' (shēn shēn xué zǐ), which simply means 'many students'. If you google 莘莘学子 you will see the PinYin spelling listed next to it. But you are not alone in thinking it is read as 'Xin', many Chinese students make the same mistake when they run into this character the first time

Thank you. I realise Shen is a valid reading in the sense of 'numerous', but I had two reasons for thinking it was Xin here. (1) It is combined here with 梓, i.e. two trees together, which seems more likely as a way of creating a name (along the lines of poetical phrases such as 梓楡 and 梓桑). (2) People with the name 梓莘 on Facebook, Instagram etc (as shown by Google) seem exclusively to use the reading Zixin.

And of course Xin is indeed a valid reading according to the dictionaries (in the sense of ginger tree).

As with all these things only the actual owner of the name can tell us for certain, but I assumed you might know this girl personally as she is a member of the Hangzhou school.

Post #22 Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:04 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 124
Was liked: 364
KGS: wolfking6504
Tygem: wolfking97
John Fairbairn wrote:
Quote:
John you are right that the bottom half of 莘 is 辛 which is 'xin', but the reading of 莘 is 'shen'. It is kind of rare character but does appear frequently in people's names and especially in the phrase '莘莘学子' (shēn shēn xué zǐ), which simply means 'many students'. If you google 莘莘学子 you will see the PinYin spelling listed next to it. But you are not alone in thinking it is read as 'Xin', many Chinese students make the same mistake when they run into this character the first time

Thank you. I realise Shen is a valid reading in the sense of 'numerous', but I had two reasons for thinking it was Xin here. (1) It is combined here with 梓, i.e. two trees together, which seems more likely as a way of creating a name (along the lines of poetical phrases such as 梓楡 and 梓桑). (2) People with the name 梓莘 on Facebook, Instagram etc (as shown by Google) seem exclusively to use the reading Zixin.

And of course Xin is indeed a valid reading according to the dictionaries (in the sense of ginger tree).

As with all these things only the actual owner of the name can tell us for certain, but I assumed you might know this girl personally as she is a member of the Hangzhou school.

John, I think you are right, I have updated my post to change her name to Wang Zixin. I do not know her personally but I wish I did!

Post #23 Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:00 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 124
Was liked: 364
KGS: wolfking6504
Tygem: wolfking97
ez4u wrote:
Thanks for some great coverage Wolfking!
BTW, where did Han Enyi, Luo Zhuofan, and Wu Yiming finish in the standings?

I just found the final standing of all participants. Han Enyi did beat his last round opponent Yang Kuan, but his total opponent points was so low that he still finished behind Yang Kuan at No. 52, which means he would need to start all over again from the prelims next year. Luo Zhuofan lost his last round game, but had high enough opponent points (48 points more than Han Enyi's) to be placed above Han Enyi at No. 46, and will start from the main tournament directly in 2018.

And Wu Yiming was only 4 opponent points behind 10th place Wen Zhaoyi. :sad: