It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for laptop recommendations
Post #1 Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:29 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
My old computer stopped working, and i don't need such an expensive computer anymore because i don't play video games anymore. But it would be good to have a laptop to watch videos with and play go with. I have always played on kgs, as i understand ,it doesn't require much from a computer. Since i know nothing of computers and a quick googling didn't produce a list of requirements, any suggestions for windows laptop that would be good for playing go with?

Post subject: Re: Looking for laptop recommendations
Post #2 Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:22 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
KGS needs Java so some lightweight netbooks won't have that, but otherwise anything should be good enough to play on KGS and watch videos. If you want to use neural network bots like Leela then you'd want to start looking at beefy graphics cards for best performance.

Post #3 Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:08 am 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
I really like the surface pros. They're a bit more on the expensive side, but they do work well. You can also not use the keyboard and have a decent tablet for reading books on.

Post #4 Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:16 am 
Beginner

I definitely dont need touch screen or tablet. Thank you. I will ask around for something that can run java. If you have any examples of suitable laptop that would be very helpful.

Post #5 Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:29 am 
Beginner

Im wondering if something like ASUS E402SA would be good enough?

Post #6 Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:37 am 
Lives in sente

Was liked: 180
Stahi wrote:
My old computer stopped working, and i don't need such an expensive computer anymore because i don't play video games anymore.

Well ...... but do you intend to play against a go playing program running on your machine? And at what level of play? The programs able to play at several dan amateur or higher require pretty much as much resources as a high end "gaming machine".

Up to a couple years ago, that was just CPU power, but now video cards are a factor too.

Post #7 Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:04 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 46
Was liked: 116
Stahi wrote:
My old computer stopped working, and i don't need such an expensive computer anymore because i don't play video games anymore. But it would be good to have a laptop to watch videos with and play go with. I have always played on kgs, as i understand ,it doesn't require much from a computer. Since i know nothing of computers and a quick googling didn't produce a list of requirements, any suggestions for windows laptop that would be good for playing go with?

You should also consider a small form-factor PC instead of a laptop. That way, you don't pay for a crappy screen and keyboard (I assume you already have these from your old PC).

Post #8 Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:12 am 
Beginner

Im only rusty 7k so my phone can beat me easily at the moment. I think i would want a laptop for travel, portability etc. Ill keep the screen and keyboard from the old one. I'm just trying to get the cost down. I know if i go to the pc store to ask the answer will be a 1000e+.

Do you think an asus e402 series would be fine for online play? Those are around 300e.

Post #9 Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:59 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
I'd recommend buying a used Lenovo Thinkpad of the T 4xx or T 5xx series. They are durable, well equipped and a great value for the money. I had one used Thinkpad T41 for 10 years, and I've had my current one, a T410, for 5 years and it's still going strong. If some part should wear out, for example a keyboard, it is easy to find a new one and replace it yourself. There are many shops in Europe and the US that specialize in refurbished Thinkpads. For less than 300€ or even less than 200€, you can get a fine machine that will handle most everything you throw at it.

Post #10 Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:20 pm 
Beginner

Thank you daal. I found one such place and that looks like a really good option. Tussle you all.

Post #11 Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:44 am 
Lives in sente

Was liked: 180
I'd contact usanotebook.com for that. I know their business includes sending devices into the "3rd world" so they should be able to get one to you. I have no idea what shipping/customs might add to the price, but all the T420's they currently list are in the $200-300 range.

Post #12 Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:06 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 180
Was liked: 151
GD Posts: 422
KGS: komi
Is java really necessary? https://shin.gokgs.com