It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Promoting Go
Post #1 Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:24 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 0
Hi, I was thinking of finding/making a decent pamphlet to promote Go.
Google search gave me this:
"Promoting Go: The Guerrilla Go Marketing Toolkit - Go Game Guru
https://gogameguru.com/promoting-go/
A good Go promoter needs a good toolkit! Here we've tried to assemble a no-nonsense list of the most effective tools and techniques for promoting Go locally"

But the website seems dead. Does anyone have any of the info saved?
I also checked all of AGA/BGA printable materials and all of it looks very old and unattractive.

I appreciate any help!

Post subject: Re: Promoting Go
Post #2 Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:39 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 146
Was liked: 81
Online playing schedule: A schedule..? When hell freezes over... maybe. ^^;
Unfortunately I cannot help you with your search but I have another pointer for you. The German shop Hebsacker Verlag has produced a poster which gives all the necessary information on how to play the game and more. I like it a lot and cannot think of a (much) better way to do it. It's in German, but maybe there'll be an English version, too. You could try to ask them if they have any plans in that area. Here's a link to the poster in their shop.

Post #3 Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:56 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 10
Was liked: 19
Here is the English version of the poster:
https://www.facebook.com/thegoacademy/p ... =1&theater

This post by pleiade67 was liked by: Ember

Post #4 Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:00 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 269
Was liked: 129
KGS: captslow
Online playing schedule: irregular and by appointment
I agree.
See also elsewhere on this forum.
E.g. How not to promote https://lifein19x19.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=11440 and On teaching complete beginners https://lifein19x19.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=13192.

I do think one does not need that much promotional material though. Some announcements okay, but flyers are even better, I think, also to be used as handouts. You mostly need some boards and stones. It is my experience that, once people show up, children and adults alike, they immediately want to touch and play the stones.

Of the Go Game Guru material, I haven't used much, except for the Instant Go Set. It is (was?) in PDF, and I used it with young children. They like it. See your PM for this PDF.

I made some teaching/learning material myself, but it is not in English. Just let me know if you want copies.

Post #5 Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:38 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 19
Was liked: 32
IIRC, there was a one page pamphlet by inkwolf using the characters from Aji's Quest. Can't find a link though. I remember a version with blanks instead of English so that you can put in your own translation.

Post #6 Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:22 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 9
Was liked: 83
KGS: Pio2001
Hi,
Here is, as an example, the flyer used by the french federation : http://ffg.jeudego.org/informations/boi ... antFFG.pdf

It's a three-fold A4 paper.

Post #7 Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:39 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 4
The AGF (American Go Foundation) provided beginner booklets and beginner sets with rules and "how to play" on them for teaching in my daughter's class. They were great to work with.

Post #8 Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:11 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
bayu wrote:
IIRC, there was a one page pamphlet by inkwolf using the characters from Aji's Quest. Can't find a link though. I remember a version with blanks instead of English so that you can put in your own translation.

It’s linked at the bottom of the “Aji’s Quest” page: http://home.earthlink.net/~inkwolf/Inkw ... Quest.html

Post #9 Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:39 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 272
Was liked: 60
KGS: gotony
OGS: nghtstalker
Making fliers is a very practical way to get the info out. I will be happy to share my ideas with you.

We have had several people come to the club due to fliers.

We play because we enjoy the beauty of the game, the snap and feel of real stones, and meeting interesting people. Hope to see ya there! お願いします!

Anthony

Post #10 Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:55 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 8
In our degenerate times, an app would likely be much more effective than a pamphlet. And the app will need to wrapped in a meme that makes it attractive, which will help it to propagate.

A completely different approach would be to promote Go in retirement homes. Through HUMAN contact. A high quality 9 X 9 wooden board, with stones big enough to be placed by possibly unstable hands, would be a great aid in that effort.

It would be promoting Go directly, and also, a lot of those people will have grandkids...

Does anyone know where I can get a high quality 9 X 9 wooden board, small enough to carry easily, but large enough to handle somewhat larger stones?

:cool:

TCS

Post #11 Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:48 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 269
Was liked: 129
KGS: captslow
Online playing schedule: irregular and by appointment
Chaosrider2808 wrote:
Does anyone know where I can get a high quality 9 X 9 wooden board, small enough to carry easily, but large enough to handle somewhat larger stones?

For suppliers, browse elsewhere on this forum.

Post #12 Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:46 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 8
Yellow Mountain had what I was looking for, a nice wooden board that has 9 x 9 on one side, and 13 x 13 on the other. I should have it tomorrow.

But the question of which stones to get remains. This board will be used for my "Have Go, Will Travel" activities, and I need to be able to transport it conveniently. I have a computer laptop case that I'll be using for the purpose...to haul both the board and the stones.

My main question is regarding double-convex vs single-convex stones. This set will frequently be used in restaurants, in the presence of french fries, by people who aren't used to handling the stones.

I know that double-convex is traditional, and I prefer that, but for this application, I think single-convex would be more practical.

Also, what size stones would you recommend for playing either 9 x 9 or 13 x 13 on a board that's about 14 X 13 X 2 inches?

Comments and suggestions appreciated!

Have Go, Will Travel!

:cool:

TCS