It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New Mobile Friendly KGS Client - Shin KGS
Post #21 Posted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:15 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
Hi all. Sorry for slow response to this; I've been out of town the last week.

I'm in communication with the KGS team about solving the proxy/banning issue. Hopefully that will get fixed soon.

Re magnifying on iPhone - just use the browser's regular pinch zoom. I specifically designed it to work with that rather than trying to reimplement a magnify feature. I've played many 19x19 games that way on my iPhone and I think it works quite well. Eventually I may implement a board-only zoom, but it's low priority.

I'm keeping track of planned improvements and fixes on GitHub: see https://github.com/jkk/shinkgs/projects/1 and https://github.com/jkk/shinkgs/issues. I've gotten a few pull requests already, which I'm excited about.

EdLee - could you send me more info or submit a GitHub issue with info about the glitch you're seeing on iPad?

Post #22 Posted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:38 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 82
Was liked: 65
..."use the browser's regular pinch zoom"

Duh! of course!

Post #23 Posted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:41 am 
Beginner

Nyanjilla wrote:
..."use the browser's regular pinch zoom"

Duh! of course!

You're not the first to miss that possibility. Most web apps try their best to prevent the user from doing it. I'm wondering if there's an easy way to tell the user about it - a quick instructional overlay, or tooltip, or something...

Post subject:
Post #24 Posted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:50 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
jkkramer wrote:
EdLee - could you send me more info or submit a GitHub issue with info about the glitch you're seeing on iPad?
Hi kramer,

I didn't mention any bugs (yet). :)

Post #25 Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:15 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
There have been a few times recently where I was not able to watch games on Shin KGS. The first time it happened was during the AlphaGo - Ke Jie games. My guess was that the large amount of traffic caused the problem. Then it happened again today when I tried to watch a game from the KIDO cup. Has anyone else observed this?

Also: On my phone, Shin KGS works on one browser (Ghostery) but not on the other (UC Browser). Just thought I'd mention it.

Post #26 Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:43 am 
Beginner

daal wrote:
There have been a few times recently where I was not able to watch games on Shin KGS. The first time it happened was during the AlphaGo - Ke Jie games. My guess was that the large amount of traffic caused the problem. Then it happened again today when I tried to watch a game from the KIDO cup. Has anyone else observed this?

Also: On my phone, Shin KGS works on one browser (Ghostery) but not on the other (UC Browser). Just thought I'd mention it.

Sorry about that - there's a bug that prevents demo games from opening. It's fixed in the latest development version. If you are feeling adventurous, you can try that here: https://unstable.shinkgs.com/ (might not work in Safari).

I'm not familiar with UC Browser. I'll look into supporting it.

This post by jkkramer was liked by: apetresc

Post #27 Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:31 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 2
KGS: mvk20
IGS: mvk20
DGS: mvk20
OGS: mvk20
Universal go server handle: mvk20
Is this still being worked on? I'm so thankful for it, since I do 90% of my Go playing on iPad or iPhone. Two things that would really make this a lot more useable for me would be a move confirmation system, and sound. I know that you can pinch zoom, but that is a lot of extra movement in a fast paced game compared to the way it is on the IGS client. I love the way that is handled on iPad - you touch to place the stone, then touch the stone again to confirm. Auto zoom would be great for the phone - touch once to zoom in, touch again to place stone. As for sounds, that is really helpful because if I'm studying one area of the board during my opponents move, and he/she plays somewhere else, I don't always notice right away. Again, would be great for games when you're under time pressure. For these two reasons I prefer the IGS client for iDevices at the moment, but I think with these two changes ShinKGS would be my first preference. Thanks so much for your work!!!

Post #28 Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:42 am 
Beginner

Thanks for your feedback @mvk20! Shin is alive, but moving slowly. I have other priorities taking up my attention at the moment. I expect there will be spurts of development over the next few months. Sound effects and "confirm move" UI for mobile/tablet are high up on the list.

Post #29 Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:56 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 2
KGS: mvk20
IGS: mvk20
DGS: mvk20
OGS: mvk20
Universal go server handle: mvk20
Thanks! I hope my post didn't sound too impatient or ungrateful. I was aiming for a combination of feedback and thanks, but sometimes tone gets lost in post like this. I know that this is basically volunteer work and I'm super excited to have the ability to play KGS on my iDevices - thanks again for all of your hard work!

Post #30 Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:06 am 
Beginner

Not at all! I appreciate the positive feedback (and patience!) :)

Post #31 Posted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:21 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
I'm also wondering if this is still being developed. If it were not for the lack of sound, I would use it all the time. Not only does it look nicer than the Java client, but it also lets me play on my computer without lag.

Post subject:
Post #32 Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:27 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Same question and sentiments as Daal's.

Post #33 Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:55 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 81
Was liked: 128
KGS: lepore
There was a meeting at the Go Congress this year for KGS users. Only a few people came to the meeting, which was a little sad.

One of the organizers of the meeting (Lee Schumacher I think) said he would have some free time in the coming months to devote to improving KGS. As I understand, he was referring to both the CGoban client and Shin. I think some things are occurring already that we may not be aware of, but there are people (at the American Go Foundation, who now manages KGS) to reach out to directly if you have specific suggestions.

Post #34 Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:24 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 315
Does the AGF have a management plan for the server itself? One obvious avenue for solicitation would be (current) client feature requests.

Post #35 Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:01 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 568
Was liked: 84
Universal go server handle: WindnWater, Elom
:bow:

Same sentiment as GoUniverse.