It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 530 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Following Iyama Yuta (no world ranking discussions)
Post #201 Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:43 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 56
Was liked: 7
KGS: 2k
IGS: 2k
OGS: 3k
John Fairbairn wrote:
The latest Go World has some interesting stats in celebration of Iyama's second heptadiadem - such as having a much stronger likelihood of winning the early games in title match series (overall he scores 70% but in Games 1 and 2 he scores 77%, and in 5-game matches he scores 88% in Game 1. But in Game 4 overall (which by conventional wisdom among pros is the important game in a 7-game title match, he scores just 60%.

But the most important stat, I think, which has been surprisingly overlooked, is that Iyama is well set to break Cho's record of total titles (74). Iyama is on 46 with age on his side (he's 28). He's in 6th place overall but with two more wins he'll move up to 4th, and there's no-one else in the field likely to catch him. He's automatically in the next title match for each of the major events, of course.

What is your source of number of titles?

Post #202 Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:33 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 44
Was liked: 218
GD Posts: 10
I check that Iyama Yuta won't have to play anymore this year so I make a 2017 summarize for him

Success wrote:
41st Japanese Kisei title defended 4:2 against Kono Rin
64th Japanese NHK Cup winner (fourth round: Kono Rin, semi-final: Ida Atsushi, and final: Ichiriki Ryo)
55th Japanese Judan title defended 3:1 against Yu Zhengqi
72nd Japanese Honinbo title defended 4:0 against Motoki Katsuya
42nd Japanese Gosei title defended 3:0 against Yamashita Keigo
42nd Japanese Meijin title acquired 4:1 from Takao Shinji (defeat other challengers in order: Ko Iso, Hane Naoki, Kono Rin, Cho U, Yamashita Keigo, Murakawa Daisuke, and Yu Zhengqi)
65th Japanese Oza title defended 3:0 against Ichiriki Ryo
43rd Japanese Tengen title defended 3:0 against Ichiriki Ryo

Failure wrote:
Lose against Park Junghwan in game 10 of 18th Nongshim Cup (his only game there)
Lose against Lee Sedol in exhibition match
Lose against Yamashita Keigo in the seeded semi-final of 4th Championship of Tournament Winners
Last place in 2017 World Go Championship, lose against Park Junghwan, Mi Yuting, and DeepZenGo in order
Lose against Yu Zhengqi in group B of 26th Japanese Ryusei (before the main tournament)
Lose against Lee Sedol in the first round of 29th Asian TV Cup
Lose against Shin Jinseo in the first round of 22nd Samsung Cup (win against Mateusz Surma and 1:1 against Fan Yunruo in preliminary rounds)

Incomplete/Unclassified wrote:
1:1 against Ke Jie at Chinese New Year Special
Win against Cho U in the first round of 24th Japanese Agon Cup but withdraw later
Win against O Rissei in the seeded second round of 65th Japanese NHK Cup
Finalist of 22nd LG Cup (defeat other participants in order: Lee Yeongkyu, Zhou Ruiyang, Yang Dingxin, and Ke Jie)

Post #203 Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:51 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 24
DGS: bugcat
Iyama has won the 43rd Tengen, achieving six wins and breaking Rin Kaiho's record which has stood since 1993. I wonder how long Iyama's record will stand for? (excepting him breaking it himself).

Post #204 Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:18 pm 
Lives in sente

dsatkas wrote:
What is your source of number of titles?

John Power wrote a very good scoop on closing Iyama Yuta year end. In this article, he said Iyama Yuta has 48 titles.
I recommend everyone to read here http://www.usgo.org/news/2017/11/the-power-report-2/ but most people might already read it ;)

Iyama Yuta received 1.5 million US dollar just from winning 7 crown + NHK cup alone. Combining with other source of income (book royalties, ads, etc.) I won't be surprised if he gets more than $2 million. He's not just big fish in a small pond, he's rich fish in a golden pond.

Excluding training games with bot, he wins 43 out of 58 games (74%)

This post by pookpooi was liked by: ez4u

Post #205 Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:20 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 56
Was liked: 7
KGS: 2k
IGS: 2k
OGS: 3k
the reason i'm asking is because there are different numbers on wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuta_Iyama

Post #206 Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:29 am 
Oza

Liked others: 2338
Was liked: 1332
KGS: ez4u
dsatkas wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuta_Iyama

48 Titles is the way the Nihon Kiin counts them. See the "タイトル数 48" just to right of his picture on http://www.nihonkiin.or.jp/player/htm/ki000385.html. What is and is not included on each list is left as an exercise for the reader. :)

Post #207 Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:46 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
Quote:

The figure I quoted was from Go World. That was a little out of date of course because that appeared before the latest couple of title matches. But in general the Nihon Ki-in tends to give figures only for what it counts as official and fully open and not-age-or-sex-restricted events. For example, that excludes e.g. Iyama's Super Meijin title because that was an invitational limited to three players, and it excludes playoffs between e.g. the Tengen in each country.

But even that's inconsistent because some events have changed over time. E.g. the NHK Cup is now open but it used to be an invitational event. It's also inconsistent, in my view, in that the Oteai is excluded, even though that used to be the only tournament in town (and also in that the Saikoi, an Oteai spin-off, is included). The Pro Best Ten was essentially invitational but open in that voters could vote for any player. Then how do we classify the Nihon Championship - a major event but open only to NK players? They count it. And they do include the age-restricted Shinjin-O. They count the NK Central Branch Saikoi (limited to Nagoya-based players - and they also include the NK Nagoya-based Okan) but do not count the much tougher Kansai Ki-in First Place. The NK is inconsistent in other ways, too - surprise, surprise.

As a guide, taking Sakata as an example because he is dead but spans the main countable era: he has 64 titles by the Nihon Ki-in count. These are: Honinbo x 7, Oza x 7, Judan x 5, NHK x 11, NEC x 1, Old Meijin x 2, Saikoi x 3, Saikyoi x 2, Pro Best Ten x 3, NK First Place x 4, NK Championship x 12, Igo Championship x 1, Hayago Championship x 1, Hayago Meijin x 1, Highest Dans x 1, Japan Series x 1, JAL Cup x 2.

Some of those were invitational (e.g. early NHK), restricted to high dans or to NK players, etc. And specially for Kirby, Hayago in those days meant 4 hours each (Hayago Meijin) or 3 hours each (some early NHK). Sakata's list above excludes the East Japan Hayago (limited to NK) and his several wins in the Oteai. I, more inclusively, count him as 71 and Cho Chikun at 81, but I'm inconsistent, too :).

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by 3 people: ez4u, gamesorry, gowan

Post #208 Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:12 am 
Lives in sente

Iyama Yuta (alongside with the strongest Shogi player ever, Yoshiharu Habu) is now being considered by Japan Prime Minister if he can get national honorary award or not.

"I am just astonished and humbled by the undeserved honor," he said.

http://mainichi.jp/english/articles/201 ... dm/059000c

Post #209 Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:46 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Iyama is playing Lian Xiao of China today, but what event? Maybe Meijin vs Mingren match? Nongshim cup against Dang Yifei is in February.

Post #210 Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:42 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 72
Was liked: 479
KGS: macelee
Uberdude wrote:
Iyama is playing Lian Xiao of China today, but what event? Maybe Meijin vs Mingren match? Nongshim cup against Dang Yifei is in February.

Yes this is the so-called world Meijin competition, last held 3 year ago. This is the fifth edition.

Code:
Edition Year Winner        Runner-up
1st     2010 Gu Li         Lee Changho
2nd     2011 Park Yeonghun Jiang Weijie
3rd     2012 Jiang Weijie  Park Yeonghun
4th     2015 Chen Yaoye    Iyama Yuta

Post #211 Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:57 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 26
Was liked: 4
Lian Xiao just beat him!

I don't understand 131, it seems to me that 132 is bigger, and also why did W reply at 134, do I miss something? Also for 147, isn't capturing the isolated W stone on 2nd line bigger? Or can W press B down and gain enough point. I slightly prefer W at that moment, but the game should be still playable.

Post #212 Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:16 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
Quote:
Iyama is playing Lian Xiao of China today, but what event? Maybe Meijin vs Mingren match?

I call it the Super Meijin, following Japanese practice - World Meijin sounds as if it could be open to anyone but Super Meijin carries the nuance of it being a very restricted invitational better. And it's not an annual match-up of the current Meijins, unfortunately.

You may recall that Iyama both won and lost in the final of the last term in 2015. His opponent had a seki with a point inside and under Japanese rules Iyama won, to the premature delight of watching Japanese fans, but the game was played in China, so he lost.

Apart from that, Iyama has never quite cut the mustard in this event despite having reasonably generous time limits of 2.5 hours.

Post #213 Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:27 am 
Judan

kimidori wrote:
I don't understand 131, it seems to me that 132 is bigger, and also why did W reply at 134, do I miss something? Also for 147, isn't capturing the isolated W stone on 2nd line bigger? Or can W press B down and gain enough point. I slightly prefer W at that moment, but the game should be still playable.

I think black didn't want to connect at 132 because it is gote, and then white gets to play first on the right side (the last big macro endgame point - tedomari) : this whole sequence is a battle for black to get sente to play at 135. At first it looked to me like black's plan with 123 was to create an eye option at h14, which would mean white's blocking at 132 wouldn't be sente (black would have miai for 2nd eye on 2nd line and centre at h14, assuming white would cut f15 (is this false assumption?). But black 129 ruined that h14 (maybe) half eye, but did make the capture of 4 stones sente (yes there is something inside if white tenukis).

P.S. As the Korean Myeongin is defunct ( :sad: ), does this mean the event is already over and Lian Xiao wins?

Post #214 Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:38 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 65
GD Posts: 29
Uberdude wrote:
P.S. As the Korean Myeongin is defunct ( :sad: ), does this mean the event is already over and Lian Xiao wins?

I guess Lee Sedol qualifies as the eternal Myeongin... See http://www.nihonkiin.or.jp/match_news/match_info/1810_1.html

Cheers,
Vesa

Post #215 Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:33 am 
Judan

Iyama lost to Lee Sedol too.

Post subject:
Post #216 Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:00 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312

Post #217 Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:20 am 
Lives in sente

I don't like the "Super Meijin" translation. While it may be a more sensible use of language, the sponsor chose the name "世界围棋名人争霸赛“ so we should respect that. And this is an event with a Chinese sponsor so there's no reason to use a Japanese practice.

Post #218 Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:26 am 
Judan

As winner of the OGS Meijin tournament can I play too? ;-)

Post #219 Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:29 am 
Lives in sente

Uberdude wrote:
As winner of the OGS Meijin tournament can I play too? ;-)

Yes I think so. I was the Meijin of my university department so I can play too. :lol:

Post #220 Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:39 am 
Judan

Lee Sedol managed to beat Lian Xiao in the final. I thought he was behind following a ko trade on the top side but he kept the game scrappy and killed a group at the end.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 530 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 27  Next