It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Reign of Ke Jie
Post #201 Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:05 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 44
Was liked: 218
GD Posts: 10
“I don’t want to compete with AI any more. It is really painful, but if people enjoy seeing me being tortured by AI, I will be glad to go through it again,” Ke joked in the end of his interview with Yicai Global.

The top-ranking Go player is hopeful about AI-human symbiote: “I once dreamed, if one day a super chip can dramatically increase humans’ computing capacity, I will be the first to have it implanted in my head and take my revenge on AlphaGo for what it did to me before.”

https://yicaiglobal.com/news/ke-jie-banks-‘ai-human-symbiote’-revenge-defeat-alphago

Post #202 Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:13 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 10
Was liked: 8
I read that just a little while ago. That would be interesting if we had a Ke Jie android!

On a side note, with Ke Jie's recent loss to Iyama Yuta, the gap between him and Park Junghwan on goratings is now as close as it's been for a while, only 13 points!

Is there any info on when the finals of the Xin'ao Cup are being played?

Post #203 Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:40 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 22
Was liked: 98
WindCaliber wrote:
Is there any info on when the finals of the Xin'ao Cup are being played?

It'll be a best-of-5 starting on 12/18, then 19/21/23/24.

Post #204 Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:08 pm 
Lives in sente

Mysterious account in Fox Go Server had 41 win streak with many big name pros, but don't worry, Ke Jie manage to end that winning streak!

http://news.sina.com.tw/article/20171118/24661564.html
http://news.chengdu.cn/2017/1119/1929565.shtml

Post #205 Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:08 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 16
Today Ke jie played Shi yue in the chinese A league, unfortunately he lost (again). Maybe he is in a slump. I also don't really like his recent style , I feel it is very thin; like water hahahah.
http://duiyi.sina.com.cn/gibo_new/gibov ... img=&wimg=
Ke jie is white and Shi yue is black. White's moves are so impressive but not enough to win.

Post #206 Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:42 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
KGS: CuTy
His style really like AlphaGo Zero now (the global style). Althought he said he doesn't want to compete with AI, I think he still never give up to catch up AI. Some pro players I know still want to beat the god of go. Superhuman will appear. XD

Post #207 Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:51 am 
Dies with sente

WindCaliber wrote:
On a side note, with Ke Jie's recent loss to Iyama Yuta, the gap between him and Park Junghwan on goratings is now as close as it's been for a while, only 13 points!
lichigo wrote:
Today Ke jie played Shi yue in the chinese A league, unfortunately he lost (again). Maybe he is in a slump. I also don't really like his recent style , I feel it is very thin; like water hahahah.
http://duiyi.sina.com.cn/gibo_new/gibov ... img=&wimg=
Ke jie is white and Shi yue is black. White's moves are so impressive but not enough to win.

I took a look at the game, and it seems really complicated with a huge fight on the top. By my (probably inaccurate) count, Shi Yue was ahead by ~2.5 points when Ke Jie resigned.

Ke Jie is now 10 points from Park on goratings :O
If he loses another game, and Park wins one, Park might take back the #1 spot!

Post #208 Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:32 pm 
Dies with sente

pookpooi wrote:
Mysterious account in Fox Go Server had 41 win streak with many big name pros, but don't worry, Ke Jie manage to end that winning streak!

http://news.sina.com.tw/article/20171118/24661564.html
http://news.chengdu.cn/2017/1119/1929565.shtml

From Ke Jie's Weibo the previous weekend:
"一个AI满地走的时代...除了alphago以外,这个昵称为“符合预期”的ai尤其强,实力应该已经远超当时与李世石对弈的alphago了吧?...在平台上41连胜...今日被我终结...一度觉得没法继续了的棋,很艰苦赢了下来...若是当初第一个与alphago对弈的人是我?结果到底会是如何?今夜未成眠... ​​​​"

Roughly translated to:
This is an AI generation(?). Besides alphago, the AI called "fuheyuqi' is especially strong, probably already even stronger than the alphago that played Lee Sedol? Its 41 win streak was ended by me today. For a time, I felt that there was no way to continue playing, and it was very difficult to win in the end. If the first person to have played alphago was me? What would the result have been? Won't be sleeping tonight...

Post #209 Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:26 am 
Lives in gote

Ke Jie just lost to Fan Yunruo in Chinese A League for his 8 losses in 11 games. Park Junghwan, on the other hand, won, so their Gorating difference will get even smaller.

Post #210 Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:01 am 
Lives in sente

Did the news about Ke Jie lost his bag at the airport get translate yet? Spoiler alert someone return the bag to him.

Post #211 Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:00 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 24
DGS: bugcat
As someone who's spent time following pro chess, I don't think it's good to be too focused on rating. Does it really matter so much whether Ke Jie is ten GR points ahead of PJW or ten behind? The fact is that Ke Jie is the player who's been incorporating the AlphaGo style into his own and winning with it, Ke Jie that's putting himself at the forefront of human Go theory more than anyone else. PJW might become GR #1 but he can't become as interesting as Ke Jie, and I don't have much doubt that (in good form) Ke Jie's the stronger player. But it'll be interesting to see what happens if they meet in the Nongshim Cup.

This post by bugcat was liked by: johnsmith

Post #212 Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:59 pm 
Dies with sente

I don't think it's good or bad, ratings are just fun to follow (IMO). Obviously, if people take it to the extreme and/or are obsessive about it, then it's not good.

This is all just in good fun. Personally, I'm hoping Ke Jie figures out how he can successfully incorporate AlphaGo's ideas to become even stronger. Right now, it seems he hasn't hit the sweet spot yet.

Post #213 Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:31 pm 
Lives in sente

Not only us, Sina also write a report on this as well. At that time of writing the gap between them is 10 elo and Sina label it as 'smallest gap value in their history'. Now the gap is only 2 elo, I bet Sina is going crazy right now. But they're not gonna write a new report yet, they're waiting for today's result first.

Post #214 Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:21 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 319
Was liked: 287
Universal go server handle: jeromie
Ke Jie's "slump" right now reminds me of Tiger Woods retooling his golf swing when he was already the clear number one in the world. It looks like he is trying to incorporate many of the ideas from AlphaGo's style into his own game, and it's caused a momentary dip in his tournament success. If all goes well, though, he'll come out stronger in the end.

I think it's a good lesson for those of us who are reluctant to make changes in our game that we know are necessary for improvement but will lead to taking a few losses before we can adapt to the new style. Ke Jie has a lot more on the line than an amateur player, but he's still striving to improve his game instead of resting on a style that has worked for him so far. Ke is not unique in this regard, of course: I think it is a common trait among those who really seek to push the boundaries of what they are capable. (Kitani comes to mind as a prime example.)

Post #215 Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:02 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
jeromie, a reasonable point about having a possibly temporary dip in performance as you incorporate new ideas, but with Ke Jie it's not so simple. I've not replayed all his games to double-check, but iirc he started doing AlphaGo-style early 3-3s and so on straight after the Wuzhen AlphaGo match and had great results with that 22-win streak in June/July. It's just the last month he has had bad results. So incorporating these new ideas initially had good results, but now bad. So I suggest a few explanations:
- He is going even more extreme AlphaGo style recently and can't yet make that successful, whereas a milder AlphaGo style he could use well.
- His AlphaGo-ness is similar, but his opponents are figuring out better how to counter it
- He is just having a patch of bad form

Post #216 Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:32 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 0
KGS: 4 dan
Wow just saw that Park was only 2 points behind Ke :shock: On the other hand, Iyama Yuta is on fire and could also steal the place relatively soon. :D

But in the next 2 years, the real threat will probably be the younger one of the top 5 Shin Jinseo :roll:

Post #217 Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:13 am 
Lives in gote

Ke Jie was ahead throughout the game against Jiang Weijie today, but went for the kill in the midgame and failed and ended up losing the game. Park Junghwan, on the other hand, was trailing Fan Yunruo early (by Sina's commentaries), but came back to win. So we will indeed have a new No. 1 tomorrow.

Post #218 Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:49 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
I'm surprised Park made that 4-4 plus 2 large knight's enclosure, which I thought was a textbook dubious shape as the 3-3 is not secure. I know textbooks are being rewritten recently, but that reason still seems valid and sure enough Fan soon invaded 3-3.

Post #219 Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:00 am 
Lives in sente

Clean win against Park Junghwan, hope this will make him back on track to his reign.

Attachments:
KeJie.sgf [7.15 KiB]
Downloaded 946 times

Post #220 Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:16 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 72
Was liked: 479
KGS: macelee
This game is from one of those blah blah mind game tournaments - there are several of them which are designed to confused even the most experienced Go fans like myself. This one appears to be the so-called IMSA Elite Mind Games.

Any way, by beating the direct competitor, Ke Jie will probably get his No. 1 position on goratings back.

<Admin>
I made a new thread for the Imsa event, with moved posts detailing the tournament format.
</Admin>

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next