Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
Main points, upside and downside

+ You count well.
+ You go for sente moves and don't follow the opponent around.
+ Nice sacrifice tactics. 91, 109
- I think you underestimated White's influence across the board when you made your positional judgment at 63
- Beware of large knight jumps in the opponent's sphere of influence. 65, 135

BTW - a KGS teacher predicting you'll remain 5k forever doesn't sound like a real teacher to me, more like a bully.

edit: I read your first post

Quote:
There was this 2d player on KGS who would regularly offer even teaching games to DDK and SDK players. He would beat me easily every game, and then make comments like "you have no reading power or global awareness", "you play really slow, and even after a lot of time you still make s*** moves", "you are in the forever 5kyu club".

That's not a teacher but a bully indeed, finding himself kyu players to boost his low self esteem under the pretext of "teaching game". BAH! Avoid that guy until you've become 2d yourself and the go back to beat the hell out of him.

Post subject: Re: My Journey to 1Dan... Will I ever get there
Post #22 Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:11 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
Knotwilg - Thank you for reviewing my game! Yeah my positional judgement at move 63 was definitely not accurate since I got pretty much everything that I wanted (and more) and the game was still close. Sometimes my "value network" is very biased and optimistic. You are right that if the program had attacked my group on the left side early I would have been in trouble. I will try to be more cautious with my extensions when I am in my opponent's area of influence.

I am not very talented so I think I will need to work really hard and get a lot of external help to reach 2d, but I certainly hope to prove the KGS teacher wrong someday!

Post #23 Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:12 am 
Dies in gote

I got my OGS ranking to 4k under the old system! Since the old ranking system is going to be eliminated soon this is the probably the last time I will post about it. Under the new ranking system I am rated 3k. Although the new rating system is not as difficult, it does seem to give a more accurate strength assessment of the players on the server.

Here are the two games that got me to 4k under the old system. I won both games somewhat comfortably, so I won't comment on them.

Attachments:
4kyuOGS.png
4kyuOGS.png [ 180.38 KiB | Viewed 11319 times ]
9516151-253-feiqij-Moskau-2013.sgf [2.14 KiB]
Downloaded 901 times
9424296-161-rgilhutton-feiqij.sgf [1.37 KiB]
Downloaded 880 times

Post #24 Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:29 pm 
Oza

This game is very convincing. It is hard already for me to find bad moves. All the comments you will find here are suggestions and impressions. There's nothing going on that I could significantly improve upon. This means you are already playing like a dan player (if you grant me my dan status).

In particular:

1) Your sense of direction, taking sente to play elsewhere and choosing the right area, is impressive for a 9k. It's dan level according to me.

6, 22, 114, 124

2) You make good shape. It seems you have well trained in that aspect

10, 26, 36, 64, 78, 82

3) You don't make it more complicated than necessary. Your game play speaks of confidence inducing calmness. You are hardly ever unreasonable.

14, 102, 106

4) The attachments to stir up an exchange were really well timed and well chosen. You had other displays of indirect attacks too.

48, 56, 90 (also examples of 1)

If there is one thing to learn from this game besides continuing all the good stuff, it's the shape discussion at 84. If you find yourself making a very dull move, in particular here making an empty triangle, at a place where the opponent would make an empty triangle as well, it's worth explorint alternatives;

Post #25 Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:46 pm 
Oza

I'll tell this game comment as a story.

Up until 33 this could be a pro game, by my standards. Both players understand direction, strength of stones and even a fairly difficult joseki is played out correctly.

At 34-35 both players overstretch (imho) and this creates bad aji for both in the bottom right, which becomes unsettled as a whole and quite "hot".

37 is a rare artefact of what used to be your bad habit of playing too close to strength. Fortunately, White makes technical mistakes so that the damage is not too big

51 is another such slow & gluttonous move, focusing on the moyo and ignoring the hot temperature at the bottom

What follows is a great display of attacking skill, converting the moyo by killing a large group at 81. It is quite impressive how you continuously shift between attack & defence, and make all the right choices technically (to my eyes, as always)

White 82 is then an attempt to recover by attacking the weak bottom. You defend gloriously by creating outside influence and sacrificing the territory.

At 119 your group is definitively safe and the game is in the pocket

In the end you even annihilate his right side moyo. It was a little unreasonable but I actually think it's good for you to be a bit more unreasonable especially if that challenges you to read it out. Your style is already so composed that you need more complicated situations to grow.

BTW, I would not wait too long before challenging that bully of a teacher of yours. Before you know, you may be 5d and find no pleasure anymore in beating the hell out of him.

Post #26 Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:42 am 
Dies in gote

Knotwilg wrote:
I'll tell this game comment as a story.

Up until 33 this could be a pro game, by my standards. Both players understand direction, strength of stones and even a fairly difficult joseki is played out correctly.

At 34-35 both players overstretch (imho) and this creates bad aji for both in the bottom right, which becomes unsettled as a whole and quite "hot".

37 is a rare artefact of what used to be your bad habit of playing too close to strength. Fortunately, White makes technical mistakes so that the damage is not too big

51 is another such slow & gluttonous move, focusing on the moyo and ignoring the hot temperature at the bottom

What follows is a great display of attacking skill, converting the moyo by killing a large group at 81. It is quite impressive how you continuously shift between attack & defence, and make all the right choices technically (to my eyes, as always)

White 82 is then an attempt to recover by attacking the weak bottom. You defend gloriously by creating outside influence and sacrificing the territory.

At 119 your group is definitively safe and the game is in the pocket

In the end you even annihilate his right side moyo. It was a little unreasonable but I actually think it's good for you to be a bit more unreasonable especially if that challenges you to read it out. Your style is already so composed that you need more complicated situations to grow.

BTW, I would not wait too long before challenging that bully of a teacher of yours. Before you know, you may be 5d and find no pleasure anymore in beating the hell out of him.

Thank you Knotwilg for reviewing/commenting on my games! While certain aspects of my game may be dan level, overall I am still quite far from being able to beat a KGS 2d, and I don't think I will ever reach 5d in my lifetime unless I drop literally everything else in life.

Post #27 Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:16 am 
Dies in gote

My current rank on OGS is [1k]! My impression is that the new OGS ranks is maybe 1/2 - 1 stone weaker than KGS ranks (around the low SDK to low Dan level)?

I will post some games that I played in the past couple of weeks.

This is a game that I played against my OGS dan-level "rival" two weeks ago. I consider this player a "rival" because up to today my all time record against this player is 2 W 2 L. Under the old OGS rank system this player was ranked 2k, and under the new system his/her rank has been bouncing between 1d and 2d.

Overall this game that I'm going to post was a disaster for me, and probably one of the most embarrassing games that I have played recently. The game itself ended in resignation in under 100 moves!

Attachments:
9621780-098-xdx-feiqij.sgf [2.3 KiB]
Downloaded 879 times

Post #28 Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:19 pm 
Dies in gote

This is another game that I played with my "rival" that I lost. I actually had a small lead going into endgame but after several blunders in my final moves one of my groups that looked safe in the opening essentially died. A small lead is the most annoying to protect, because you can't really trade points for safety but it's still tempting to try to simplify the game. Whereas if you are behind, you can complicate the game without fear!

Attachments:
9726276-151-xdx-feiqij.sgf [4.4 KiB]
Downloaded 840 times

Post #29 Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:43 pm 
Dies in gote

And finally here is the win that I got against my OGS "rival" after the previous two disastrous games.

Attachments:
9752240-238-xdx-feiqij.sgf [3.99 KiB]
Downloaded 789 times

Post #30 Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:17 am 
Dies in gote

This is a hilarious game that I played last week. I felt awful after a loss so I wanted to play random moves, lose horribly, and then feel even worse about myself. But several moves into the game I started to play seriously, and got into some pretty intense fights. I made a HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE HUUGE blunder at move 60, but somehow got away unpunished (During this relatively fast live game, I even had my mouse over the resign button several times immediately after I made that bad move). I was really happy that I successfully used zombie go strategy in the upper left to resurrect a dead corner!

Overall a lot of bad mistakes on both sides, and a very entertaining game!

Attachments:
9752512-241-feiqij-terrace2034.sgf [3.84 KiB]
Downloaded 803 times

Post #31 Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:10 pm 
Dies in gote

I just played a real game on KGS for the first time in forever! Seriously I have forgotten how difficult it is to find a game on this server as an unranked or ? ranked player. People are so protective of their ranks that I had to play idiotBot or something to get a [18k?] rank. Relatively, OGS players tend to be a lot more chill, as most players on OGS are willing to play people of much lower rank. After the recent alphago-zero news, I have really stopped taking things like strength/rank/improvement seriously. I have a hard time seeing myself significantly improve my understanding of the game. Sometimes I even wish that I could forget the joseki's and opening theory that I have learned.

I ended up playing DCNN, which is a bot that is ranked 1d (seems like a very solid 1d) on the server. I really wanted to play an even game but I forgot to change the komi to 7.5. To my surprise I actually won! Considering that I hadn't played online for months, the time setting of 5 min + 5 * 30 sec (which is quite normal for online play) was still too fast for me.

I did not play endgame well but I got away with some stuff in the middle game so my poor endgame didn't matter.

Attachments:
DCNN1d02-lowiq60.sgf [5.4 KiB]
Downloaded 753 times

Post #32 Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:37 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
Sandbagging a bot - this is new :lol:

Post #33 Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:47 pm 
Dies in gote

This past week I have been helping the Leela Zero project (for more details see https://github.com/gcp/leela-zero) by running self-play games and submitting them to an online server to train Leela Zero's neural network.

I had to review/learn a bit of programming to slightly modify the source code to keep sgf files of leela's games on my laptop, and finally I saved a self-play game. Good to see that Leela-zero prefers to stay to the sides in the opening, but it still needs to learn to pass instead of filling in an eye (see move 372!)

Attachments:
5775881a3c09426f884ffa23164cf95c.sgf [3.06 KiB]
Downloaded 730 times

Post #34 Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:25 pm 
Dies in gote

I played a game on KGS under a guest account. My opponent is a 1k on KGS. Because I think I am relatively better at simple peaceful games, I have decided to play aggressive to get into complicated fighting situations. The end result was utter destruction for me.

Post subject:
Post #35 Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:42 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Hi guest33,

:b15: Q12 direction possible.

:b19: ( check with AGT ) small avalanche could be good for B.

:b25: heavy ? Maybe o15.

:b27: heavy ? Did you realize you lack a stone at Q18 ? This is not a clamp. Maybe o14.

:w40: Quite bad for B. The "distraction" was costly.

( I feel ( :b15: & :b19: ) seem strange with :b25: ...
if you wanted to fight, :b15: at Q12 direction seems more natural. )

:b57: maybe just take. You didn't like W's J13 atari, but that's because of earlier mistakes.

:b65: shape problem.

:b81: , :w82: I feel if you lose that group, W+.

Post subject: Re:
Post #36 Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:11 pm 
Dies in gote

EdLee wrote:

:b81: , :w82: I feel if you lose that group, W+.

I think it was W+ at move 70 already - all moves after move 70 were pretty much meaningless.

In fact it very well might have been W+ at move 58 - white clearly pulled ahead there.

Post #37 Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:04 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
- consider move 11 at e15, you have ladder so he can't cut, pull back is heavy, good exchange for you, hane under joseki looks fine as you get thickness that makes 5-4 sad.
- 15: pincer.
- 19: I think his avalanche is wrong direction but this is soft. Small avalanche is first idea.
- o17 I understand the attack desire but you need to read beforehand if it will work. Maybe just kick and hane under to make him overconcentrated makes the best of a bad job.
- m16: empty triangle instead.

Also at move 44 white has a tesuji to capture cutting stone, can you find it? Might be underplay though, but means you strategy of cut and fight is flawed.

Post #38 Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:50 pm 
Dies in gote

Uberdude: it seems like K15 works. Thanks for pointing that out (I definitely missed it in actual game), and yeah I would not have played this way if the cutting stones can be captured easily.

Post #39 Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:10 am 
Dies in gote

This time I got a little rematch against "Ephiphany", and got to a much better start. I told him I'm somewhere in the SDK range and at the end of the game he thought I was lying/sandbagging (which is all too strange since just a week ago Ephiphany crushed me).

Anyways here is the game (it really wasn't over but I thought I was in good position - definitely much better position compared to the previous game).

Attachments:
EpiphanyGuest.sgf [3.58 KiB]
Downloaded 598 times

Post #40 Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:55 pm 
Dies in gote

A game that I played against Nicaso (2d on OGS), and I was convincingly beaten.

Attachments:
10990133-115-feiqij-Nicaso.sgf [1.4 KiB]
Downloaded 575 times