It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The First Forum Double Digit Kyu Tourney
Post #1 Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:21 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 15
KGS: S1NK
This seems like a fun way to get involved in this community. So this thread is for people to sign up (put I AM IN at the top of your first post in this thread if you want in) and discuss format for a Lifein19x19 tourney.

Here's my $.02 worth. I reckon fewer than 9 entrants should be a round robin league type thing more than that swiss tourney that way everyone plays every round. Everyone plays 4 games of 9x9 10:00+5x15s byo-yomi twice as black twice as white with no handicaps. 0pts for a loss, 0.5 for a draw and 1pt for a win where points are awarded for match victories rather than games. With one round being scheduled every week.

So, discussion of board size (9x9 or 13x13 I think because they are harder to find and are both quick and good for beginner learning), time controls and overall format. I'm happy to run it if there is no one more qualified but it may be a bit of a learn as I go along.

I AM IN.

My (Dead) Study Journal
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2058

Last edited by SinK on Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

This post by SinK was liked by 2 people: fwiffo, Harleqin

Post subject: Re: Beginner's forum tourney or League
Post #2 Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:44 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 2
KGS: noodley
I AM IN

I like the idea of a 9x9 tournament as well. The games would be short and 9x9 seems like a good size to review on the forums afterwards.

Post #3 Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:58 am 
Lives with ko

I think we'll start on Sunday the 25th (edit: make that Sunday the 1st of August) regardless of numbers (>4 would be ideal though) and allow late registration or something I think it is more likely to grow if we start it off small than if we try to wait for loads of players. Then I'll start a separate thread to run the league in.

So there you have it people, sign-up before Sunday. Do not delay.

My (Dead) Study Journal

Last edited by SinK on Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post #4 Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:08 am 
Lives with ko

I don't think two is enough to call it a tournament but if you would like to play some time let me know when you're free.

My (Dead) Study Journal

Post #5 Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:10 am 
Beginner

Was liked: 0
KGS: keithlard
What's the definition of beginner? I am about 15k and don't see much point in entering the main tournament, but would still like to play some competitive games - so if I am still a beginner then I AM IN.

Post #6 Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:19 am 
Dies in gote

Was liked: 2
KGS: noodley
I'm available for most of the day to play on kgs, is there a life in 19x19 room? I would be interested in trying to play a Malkovich game on the forum as well. 9x9 would be a good starting size to get the hang of it and a forum game might get other people involved.

Post #7 Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:32 am 
Lives with ko

I think any kyu player could be considered a beginner but as it is three isn't really enough for a league or tourney I think we'll wait to get one more person before we make a go of it. As for a 9x9 Malkovich I would be more than happy to play though I've played very little and find myself very lost very quickly on such a small board. Would that run as a Beginner's forum thread or a Malkovich thread?

My (Dead) Study Journal

Post #8 Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:35 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 53
Was liked: 171
GD Posts: 1104
KGS: fwiffo
I'd like to encourage this sort of tourney, so I'm willing to offer teaching games and/or game reviews as prizes.

For the cut off of who qualifies as beginner, I say go with double-digit kyu. That should give you a range of skill levels but also be a wide enough group to include a fair number of people.

I usually break down levels as follows, because it's easy to remember:
20+ kyu == beginner
10-19 kyu == novice
1-9 kyu == intermediate
1+ dan == advanced

Including the first two categories in this tourney would seem appropriate.

This post by fwiffo was liked by: Chew Terr

Post #9 Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:32 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
fwiffo wrote:
I'd like to encourage this sort of tourney, so I'm willing to offer teaching games and/or game reviews as prizes.

For the cut off of who qualifies as beginner, I say go with double-digit kyu. That should give you a range of skill levels but also be a wide enough group to include a fair number of people.

20+ kyu == beginner
10-19 kyu == novice
1-9 kyu == intermediate
1+ dan == advanced

Agreed with all of this, and I'm very happy offering the same :)

Post #10 Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:08 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 139
Was liked: 111
GD Posts: 209
KGS: Marcus316
topazg wrote:
fwiffo wrote:

20+ kyu == beginner
10-19 kyu == novice
1-9 kyu == intermediate
1+ dan == advanced

Agreed with all of this, and I'm very happy offering the same :)

Both the above are stronger than I, but I would also offer my teaching services as well as possible prize. Now all you need are participants. :mrgreen:

Post #11 Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:51 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 505
KGS: magicwand
Tygem: magicwand
Wbaduk: rlatkfkd
DGS: magicwand
OGS: magicwand
i will offer a Malkovich game with me :)
seriously.

Words by neil peart, music by geddy lee and alex lifeson

Post #12 Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:57 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 53
Was liked: 171
GD Posts: 1104
KGS: fwiffo
Given that we've got as many teachers as participants now, maybe we should offer a review or teaching game to each participant and maybe some extra teaching games/reviews as prizes. That way even the greenest entrants will get something out of it.

Don't be shy DDKs! Everybody was a beginner once (maybe not Magicwand).

Post #13 Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:29 am 
Lives with ko

I am more than happy to run the practical stuff in terms of keeping track of scores and who plays who when but I will allow the more experienced members who are offering the prizes to decide how they will work amongst themselves.

As of right now I'm feeling fairly confident of taking at least bronze. :)

My (Dead) Study Journal

Post #14 Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:34 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 24
Was liked: 59
GD Posts: 227
KGS: Aphelion02
I suggest we rename this to a DDK forum tourney to be more informative. I would be glad to offer teaching games as well.

Post subject: Re: Double Digit Kyu Tourney Sign-up.
Post #15 Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:56 am 
Lives with ko

Right I think two weeks is long enough.

I will edit this line when sign up closes:
LATE SIGN UP IS STILL OPEN. POST "I AM IN" IN CAPITAL'S AND I WILL ADD YOU TO THE ROSTER. YOU WILL NEED TO PLAY MULTIPLE GAMES IN THE FIRST WEEK TO CATCH UP.

As of right now entrants are:

SinK
noodley
keithlard

Those who have offered learning games and commentaries should decide how these will be awarded.

Since there are only three participant's us we can probably cope without too much organisation and the game will be played as a round robin tournament with everyone playing everyone. So PM the other two players and sort out a time to play. We have two matches each so I will allow a two week deadline but if we get the results in within one week then that is excellent.

So here's the format:
A game consists of a 9x9 game played with 10min+5x30secbyo-yomi time controls. 5.5 Komi and territory (Japanese) scoring. A match consists of two games. No handicap. One game as black, one game as white. Scoring is 1pt for 2-0 victory, 0.5pt for a 1-1 draw and 0pt for a 0-2 defeat. Everyone plays everyone and the winner is the man with the most points. Record the game scores for tie breaking purposes (average score ratio will be used to decide the winner in the case of a draw ie. average player's score in player's games divide by average of opponents' scores in players games).

When you have played post scores below in the following format if your opponent has already posted quote his post and say confirmed to confirm he isn't a Liar McCheaty-Pants:
UsernamePlayer1 (player1matchScore-player2matchScore) UsernamePlayer2
Game1: Score(as above) eg. 27-14
Game2: Score

My (Dead) Study Journal

Last edited by SinK on Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post #16 Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:10 am 
Tengen

SinK wrote:
So here's the format:
A game consists of a 9x9 game played with 5min+5x30 sec byo-yomi time controls. A match consists of two games. No handicap.

Komi? Scoring rules?

SinK wrote:
One game as black, one game as white. Scoring is 1pt for 2-0 victory, 0.5pt for a 1-1 draw and 0pt for a 0-2 defeat. Everyone plays everyone and the winner is the man with the most points. Record the game scores for tie breaking purposes (average score ratio will be used to decide the winner in the case of a draw ie. average player's score in player's games divide by average of opponents' scores in players games)

Make sure you are aware of the advantages and disadvantages of using the average score ratio tiebreak - FWIW, I think for DDK games it's quite a good idea, as it probably encourages counting more.

SinK wrote:
When you have played post scores below in the following format if your opponent has already posted quote his post and say confirmed to confirm he isn't a Liar McCheaty-Pants:

Again, the scoring depends on the scoring rules, so make sure this is explicit or you could have some add differences between the games :)

Post #17 Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:34 am 
Lives with ko

topazg wrote:
SinK wrote:
So here's the format:
A game consists of a 9x9 game played with 5min+5x30 sec byo-yomi time controls. A match consists of two games. No handicap.

Komi? Scoring rules?

SinK wrote:
One game as black, one game as white. Scoring is 1pt for 2-0 victory, 0.5pt for a 1-1 draw and 0pt for a 0-2 defeat. Everyone plays everyone and the winner is the man with the most points. Record the game scores for tie breaking purposes (average score ratio will be used to decide the winner in the case of a draw ie. average player's score in player's games divide by average of opponents' scores in players games)

Make sure you are aware of the advantages and disadvantages of using the average score ratio tiebreak - FWIW, I think for DDK games it's quite a good idea, as it probably encourages counting more.

SinK wrote:

Again, the scoring depends on the scoring rules, so make sure this is explicit or you could have some add differences between the games :)

I've fixed my post with regards to komi and scoring. What are the advantages and disadvantages of the tie breaker and what are the other options (is there a standard option) for it?

My (Dead) Study Journal

Post subject: Re: The First Forum Double Digit Kyu Tourney
Post #18 Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:36 am 
Dies in gote

Was liked: 3
KGS: TominNJ
I AM IN.

At 26 kyo, I might not last long but what the hay.

Post subject: Re: The First Forum Double Digit Kyu Tourney
Post #19 Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:48 am 
Lives with ko

Current Players:
SinK
noodley
kiethlard
TominNJ

At the moment you are still expected to arrange your own games but if we get many more I will start to assign which games should be played in which time periods.

My (Dead) Study Journal

Post #20 Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:59 am 
Tengen

SinK wrote:
I've fixed my post with regards to komi and scoring. What are the advantages and disadvantages of the tie breaker and what are the other options (is there a standard option) for it?

Disadvantages - It's not really go. Many games are complicated games that end in resignation because of a very close fight between two large groups, and one was always destined to die. By tiebreaking on score a) you don't allow resignations at all, unless you have a default score difference, and b) it makes very close games where this happens very unfortunate for the losing player, as it could end up an unfairly large score difference. Some people end up playing hopelessly passively to avoid losing groups, others go crazily aggressive in the hope of maximising as many group kills as possible - either way you don't end up with Go the way people would normally play it.

Advantages, it can lead to some interesting games when tiebreakers become important - strategic decisions to maximise potential win margin or minimise risk of win margin could be interesting meta-gaming for some.

Other options:

Double round robin means no SOS, but SODOS (or S/B) is possible and commonly used. Head to head is another obvious tiebreaker, but over 2 games can often lead to ties, in which case a secondary tiebreaker such as SODOS is useable.