It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best broken ladder
Post #1 Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:03 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
Some of you may recall the frisson of excitement in 2003 when Yi Se-tol created a broken ladder against Hong Chang-sik to win a spectacular game - he accepted a losing ladder just to get a move eventually on the other side of the board to kill a group there.

It was admittedly a spectacular creation but I felt then that the reaction was a little too gushing. I still do. The reason was that there was a much better example, from China.

I was reminded of it today when doing some more work on ancient Chinese games.

Have a look at this game. The last move is by Black but it appears simply that the last few moves are missing (or maybe Black resigned after making his move), but several top pros have confirmed that White does kill Black. Actually the required moves seem simple enough. Hardly enough to trouble Shi Dingan, at any rate - he was of Meijin class (in the mid 18th century).

Even though you know what's coming I still think you will gasp.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by 3 people: Bonobo, Elom, goPlayerJuggler

Post subject: Re: Best broken ladder
Post #2 Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:10 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Very nice, I'd not seen that before. But I think gushing over a spectacular failed ladder once every few hundred years isn't too frequent. :)

Post subject: Re: Best broken ladder
Post #3 Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:02 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 45
Was liked: 25
Very interesting. It also got me thinking, "Which book was it that has broken ladders being played out as examples?" So now I'm re-reading Lessons in the Fundamentals, which seems to get a re-read after my all too frequent breaks from the game. It's things like this that keep me interested and engaged with the game; I find re-reading parts of The Go Companion is good for that too :D