It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lost match - need pointers
Post #1 Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:03 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 137
Was liked: 155
Ruthless critique of misconceptions, errors and bad reading displayed by the loser in the attached game, please.

I intended to play solidly and let the opponent overreach (German 1/2 dans tend to do) and profit later in the game by harassing the abundant number of groups. I would prefer if the comments focus on midgame. Opening on my part is intended to keep things even, simple and understandable for me.

Attachments:
to_review.sgf [2.2 KiB]
Downloaded 320 times

Post subject: Re: Lost match - need pointers
Post #2 Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:57 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Are you white or black? At first I thought you were black, as it's weird to ask for review of an opponent you beat, but then you say you played solidly and that better fits white than black. "you" means black below.

- n3, first big mistake. Jump out to f5 is not the normal joseki (3-3 is, as corner and side are miai for base and white pincer took side) but I think is ok here as if white answers at 3-3 then k3 is a reasonable extension from your wall and starts a running fight (ok for both IMO). However, allowing white to get l3 base and 3-3 is intolerable. white got corner and the 2 space group is not so weak as your f5 is too, whilst n3 makes tiny profit. 3-3 instead: then you have a strong group and miai if c8 attack and n3 (if you really want to) or some move in top left area.
- r12 is soft, a thank you move. White has a cut here (involving ladder) and you help him fix it for not much gain on right side (you are making his early 3-3 invasion look good).
- c14: is this the right direction? Given you then slide and follow-up on his tenuki with top side approach (I suppose you don't like 3-3 because he then extends 2 spaces on top side, I agree) which lets him take the vital 3-3 eyespace (and makes c14 unsettled), isn't f17 better direction (e.g. approach, knight answer, slide, 3-3, knights move, or AG style attach instead of slide).
- c8, top left group is not settled (I made this comment before I saw it died) and white is healthy after f14 jump so this looks an overextension (not enough sente on corner).
- d12 leaves b12 weakness, black is busy
- d18, does this work if white uses e18 tesuji?

This post by Uberdude was liked by: tapir

Post #3 Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:38 am 
Lives in sente

Thanks a lot. I am Black.

Post #4 Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:55 am 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
In addition to agreeing with most of Uberdude's comments -at least those that I understand - I found move 62 disconcerting.
You have three potential targets: his upper left group, his lower left group, and the white stone at C10.
You have two possible weaknesses of your own: your upper left group ( which has miai north and south), and your pincered stone at C8.

You are ahead in targets, and you have sente. This should favor you. Yet you chose a move that forces him to make himself stronger.
D8 feels wrong here. It releases tension and shuts down future possibilities when you - being the attacker - want to keep all options open and maximize the number of things that he has to worry about.
Someday you might want to attach at D6 or B6, or play B7.

I would have played E8. I can't claim that it is the best move, but it looks theoretically better.

---------------

My only disagreement with Uberdude is that he didn't criticize D12 strongly enough. ( You said 'ruthless'. :) )
Your upper left group was moderately safe because it had miai along the left side. He took one, so you must take the other.
When I first saw it, I was wondering why you gave up on playing solidly. The strategy seems to have worked well enough so far, it is time to double down on it.
C12 looks best.

---------------

Move 75 at D18 can't be right. You are attacking from a position of weakness. You have to strengthen yourself first. ( "Make fist, then strike", the Japanese say. )
Again, C12 probably works, maybe E14 also.

--------------

In summary, you have two bad habits exemplified on at least two occasions each:
1) Twice - moves 29 and 67 - you have groups that were safe because of miai. Then he took one and you did not take the other.
It almost looks like you read the joseki book that said "this position is safe, so tenuki is best" without understanding why it was safe.
2) Twice - moves 31 and 75 - you attacked without making your attacking groups strong enough first.

This post by Joaz Banbeck was liked by: tapir

Post #5 Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:44 pm 
Lives in sente

Thanks as well.

Several dubious moves are rather following through w/ a wrong train of thought. E.g. after C8 C10 answering E8 (allowing White to connect out) would amount to admitting that C8 was bad. Thus I played to keep them separate. However, I am not sure I have a good alternative to C8. C11 seems extremely soft, maybe C9? Similarly later, C12 is what I would like to play, but I felt after all the effort to keep the White group isolated I have to keep doing it.

My understanding is that after D18-E18 I either get the corner or we end exchanging B17 for F17 stone. This is part of the reason why I did not play C12, since I may end exchanging B17 stones anyway. It may have been a good idea to ask at D18 before committing to a course of action.

Btw, I was not unhappy with the result on the lower half of the board. However substandard my moves were, I felt White spent so many moves to walk around my capping stone that I am not behind.