Post subject: Ian Butler - Knotwilg
Post #1 Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:17 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
Today I visited Ian at his home, covering the proverbial walking distance by bike. We discussed his last game, then played one. Whether this is the first game in a long series or the last we ever play, it deserves to be archived.

White: Knotwilg aka Dieter, playing since 1994, 2d.
Black: Ian Butler, born around that time, playing since 2018, level varying on opponent's strength.

This post by Knotwilg was liked by 6 people: Bill Spight, Bonobo, ez4u, Ian Butler, jeromie, Kirgan

Post subject: Re: Ian Butler - Knotwilg
Post #2 Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:38 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Thumbs up, sight unseen. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #3 Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:59 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
A few top of the head comments:

:b29: A floating move? If Black thinks that the White group on the left is weak, it is an attacking move.

:b33: Yes, well done. Black might have played here one move earlier, though.

:b47: This does not look like a DDK vs. Dan opening. :D

:b51: My feeling is to extend and take sente. Although perhaps C-14 is even better, eh?

:w60: Looks good to me.

:w62: Push once?

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #4 Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:25 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 52
Was liked: 6
OGS: sleepyEDB
Great stuff, thank you! I enjoyed reading the comments and exploring the variations. :tmbup:

sleepy

Post #5 Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:06 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 116
Wow, I only noticed this post here now. After your visit I was quite happy with my game but a bit sad that I could only remember like 12-15 moves. And here it is, completely!
It was a fun game we played. Knotwilg showed me some interesting variations and at times I could even find good alternative moves myself. I certainly hope it was the first of many games played :tmbup:

Though it's funny, I felt very good about this game at the moment, but now that I see it, (I still feel it was one of my better games, that's for certain, and probably one of the nicest to play) I am a little discontent, too. That's probably that voice inside of me that wants to get better and can't settle for anything less. I consider it a good thing :)

Even though knotwilg was fairly comfortable throughout the biggest part of the game, he said after the game that he certainly wasn't bored, so I consider that a victory, from a DDK playing a 2-dan :cool:

Thanks again for the great experience, knotwilg!

PS. A small anecdote about knotwilg's visit. I was so wrapped up on the Go-board, that I totally forgot to offer my guest even the most basics of hospitality and he left my house without even a drop of water. :oops: :oops: :oops: That is certainly the dark side of my thirst for Go knowledge :roll: :)

Post #6 Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:49 am 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
Games 2 and 3:

Ian remains a very strong player in terms of opening, direction of play and particularly finding where to play when playing elsewhere. His weakness probably remains in close combat, where his play becomes less technically sound and somewhat inconsistent.

Myself I showed signs of greed and envy and am not too strong in playing corner patterns, either making local mistakes or making choices that don't fit the global board.

In game 2 there's a life & death problem at the end which can be reviewed.
Game 3 was aborted because I had to go.

Comments are in Dutch.

Post #7 Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:20 am 
Lives in gote

Worth mentioning (although any good player will see it rather quickly) is that I am black in these games, knotwilg is white.

Another two games that were really fun to play. And I guess it's like knotwilg says; when it's time to build/make big moves etc I am definitely less far behind than when things get into closer range. I need more experience in fights and close combat situations.
Still, two games I can be happy about. The "theme" of the evening was to be creative and a few moves that I wouldn't ordinarily play that I'm quite happy about.
However, into the middle game white's superiority always comes to the surface and it always comes down to black being in trouble and white getting comfortable in his game. For now I can survive the opening, but I need to gain a lot more strength during the middle game.

Game 1:
Result is not in the sgf file: I resigned when white played that final move. Though the game was lost with my analysis of my group's strength at the top. When it died, the game was over.

Another little anecdote: when I played black 19 in Game 2 (so the first one in the post above), I muttered something about 'Kageyama'. I really love Lessons in Fundamentals of Go :lol:

Game 2:
Aborted but an advantage for white. I let myself become surrounded too easily, that is one of the lessons here :)

(influence is real hard to use as a beginner/amateur, but that doesn't mean I should just give it to my opponent then)

Post #8 Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:59 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 269
Was liked: 129
KGS: captslow
Online playing schedule: irregular and by appointment
Ian Butler wrote:
PS. A small anecdote about knotwilg's visit. I was so wrapped up on the Go-board, that I totally forgot to offer my guest even the most basics of hospitality and he left my house without even a drop of water. :oops: :oops: :oops: That is certainly the dark side of my thirst for Go knowledge :roll: :)

Oooh noooo!
I appreciate your frankness, but please, please, please ...

Post #9 Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:38 am 
Lives in gote

sybob wrote:
Ian Butler wrote:

Oooh noooo!
I appreciate your frankness, but please, please, please ...

Haha I know :-?
In that way, I am unfortunately too much like my father. A one-track mind when it comes to a passion. (when I am playing/studying Go, (rare but) it's not unheard of that I suddenly find myself late at night and totally forgot to eat dinner.)