It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Played well, lost by 0.5 points in endgame
Post #1 Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:14 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 52
Was liked: 6
OGS: sleepyEDB
This one stung. I knew the game was pretty much lost unless I could invade and live in black's territory so I gave it a shot and succeeded; only to then lose by 0.5 points by not thinking through the endgame. :roll:

sleepy

Attachments:
12504196-061-sleepyEDB-levan M,n,T--MOD.sgf [796 Bytes]
Downloaded 375 times

Post subject: Re: Played well, lost by 0.5 points in endgame
Post #2 Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:23 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 542
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
With proper play by Black your invasion should not have survived. However, Bravo! for bring it off. If you had played on the first line immediately to the left of the marked stone your group was safe and you would have won.

Post #3 Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:30 am 
Dies in gote

Hi gowan,

Thank you for the reply! Unfortunately I don't exactly follow your description of where I should've played, I'm still really new to Go so my relative positioning during these discussions is quite lacking; to which marked stone or numbered move are you referring?

sleepy

Post #4 Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:56 am 
Gosei

gowan wrote:
With proper play by Black your invasion should not have survived. However, Bravo! for bring it off. If you had played on the first line immediately to the left of the marked stone your group was safe and you would have won.

Sorry, I misread how the software works. I meant Black's move 46. If White had connected on the point immediately to the right of Black 46 White's group would be safe and White would win.

Post #5 Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:22 am 
Dies in gote

gowan wrote:
gowan wrote:

Sorry, I misread how the software works. I meant Black's move 46. If White had connected on the point immediately to the right of Black 46 White's group would be safe and White would win.

Thanks for the clarification, I now see what you mean! And I'm thinking you meant left since that's what you said in your original post, and placing a stone to the right would be suicide. ;)

sleepy

Post #6 Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:11 pm 
Gosei

sleepyEDB wrote:
gowan wrote:
gowan wrote:

Thanks for the clarification, I now see what you mean! And I'm thinking you meant left since that's what you said in your original post, and placing a stone to the right would be suicide. ;)

sleepy

You are right, I meant left :)

Post #7 Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:40 am 
Dies in gote

I've started messing around with Leela in the past couple of days, both the Windows GUI from sjeng.org for individual move analysis and interaction, and the CPU-only version of Go Review Partner for a more holistic review of an entire game. It has been eye-opening to say the least.

I figured I'd use GRP with Leela to review this game and a few of the more interesting points were:

• Move 33: As white, Leela would have resigned
  • Move 36: Black's win probability was 96%
  • Move 38: Black's win probability was 5% and Leela would've resigned on each subsequent move
  • Move 47: Leela chose to play at C5 as white, rather than at D9, though D9 was the second choice

I think I still need to tweak the settings in GRP since it thought this was a one-stone handicap game and as such thinks white won by 2.5 stones. Since this was not the case, Leela may not have resigned after move 47 since she was still ahead by 0.5 stones.

sleepy