It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Error Message: Division by Zero
Post #1 Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:47 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 96
Was liked: 100
Granted, that's a pretty serious error, so serious that it can crash my client instantly.

What is the MEANING of division by zero? (Running via wine on Lucid.)

Post subject: Re: Error Message: Division by Zero
Post #2 Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:58 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 114
cdybeijing wrote:
Granted, that's a pretty serious error, so serious that it can crash my client instantly.

What is the MEANING of division by zero? (Running via wine on Lucid.)

What do you mean by MEANING? Generally (as far as I know), this means what it says on the tin; the program tries to execute a calculation which involves division by 0, can't (for obvious reasons), and throws an error. The program stops running because something has gone wrong, and it no longer knows what to do - ideally, errors would be caught by the programmer or never happen in the first place, but this is presumably some behaviour that the programmer missed.

Post #3 Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:01 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 53
Was liked: 171
GD Posts: 1104
KGS: fwiffo
I get that error too, though it doesn't crash the client. The error means what it sounds like. The program tried to do some math, dividing one number by another, and the second happened to be zero. That's an illegal math operation, so it's treated as an error.

Post #4 Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:07 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 101
Was liked: 73
KGS: CarlJung
I never get that error on Windows. I guess division by zero is ok on Windows.

Post #5 Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:55 am 
Gosei

If I had to bet, I would guess it was a race condition. One thread is expecting data to be put in some memory location by another thread at a certain time. In windows, it just happens that it is always there in time because the timing of whatever happens in the program. But in wine, some particular operation being emulated is slower or faster, so the timing of the threads is different. Since the problem never happened in windows, the developer never got around to fixing the race condition with mutexes or whatever.

But I wonder why it crashes the client on your computer, but not others'. I can just click "ok" or whatever and go on with my business.

Post #6 Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:21 pm 
Lives in gote

I was being a bit suggestive with my all caps typing of MEANING just because I thought this error and translation were philosophically humorous. Really, I just want to know if other people running wbaduk through wine on lucid are getting similar errors.

I get an error on average every 5 minutes, and I have not been able to successfully avoid the client crashing for more than 10 minutes so far. I tend to get a lot of illegal operation errors, and, as I typed in another thread, sometimes even dragging the client window around my screen can cause it to crash.

Post #7 Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:24 pm 
Lives in gote

By the way, this is the first program I have ever installed and run using wine, and I am not an experiend ubuntu / wine user.

Is it possible there are some general configurations I need to make to wine before I can run wbaduk smoothly?

Post #8 Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:46 am 
Lives in gote

I don't know of anything in particular that you need to change. For some programs, changing the windows version that wine pretends to be (via winecfg) can have unexpected effects on stability, but I haven't noticed this with wbaduk.

For the window stability issue, have you tried running wbaduk in an emulated virtual desktop rather than as a window on your ubuntu desktop? You can do this with 'wine explorer /desktop=foo,1024,768 /path/to/executable', where 1024 and 768 are the resolution of the emulated desktop (800,600 is probably sufficient). I find that this sometimes improves stability.

Post #9 Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:47 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 21
Was liked: 44
GD Posts: 627
cdybeijing wrote:
Is it possible there are some general configurations I need to make to wine before I can run wbaduk smoothly?

You need to disable Flash in the WBaduk client. But I don't know whether that's related to the division by zero error...

What I also found helpful is to activate the virtual desktop emulation (it's an option somewhere in winecfg, I think on the display tab). WBaduk does some strange things to the window borders. In my experience, stability is really improved by this setting.

Post #10 Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:04 am 
Gosei

Actually, you can install flash within wine (using winetricks), and it actually works, though it's slow and I don't recommend it.

But I have had very little trouble running wbaduk under lucid. I get the divide by zero error when loading, but it runs fine after that. I've only used it to watch games, however. I don't really understand the client, so I haven't tried playing on it yet.

Post #11 Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:02 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 69
Was liked: 25
you all know than qgo2 (from cvs, unfortunately) works natively with wbaduk, right ?
it's a bit ugly, but playable.

Post #12 Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:21 am 
Lives in gote

lorill wrote:
you all know than qgo2 (from cvs, unfortunately) works natively with wbaduk, right ?
it's a bit ugly, but playable.

I did not know that, but I'm delighted to hear it!

Thanks

Post #13 Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:33 am 
Lives in gote

Is qgo2 in the repository, because I have never heard of this before. I only have v 1.54 installed, and I didn't know there was an update.

Post #14 Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:11 am 
Lives in gote

cdybeijing wrote:
Is qgo2 in the repository, because I have never heard of this before. I only have v 1.54 installed, and I didn't know there was an update.

Having just looked into it, I think there was never an official qgo2 release - it wasn't finished enough to be stable. Development seems to have more or less ceased now, though the current version (whilst buggy in places) is perfectly usable.

The lack of release means you won't find it in your repositories, but you should be able to download it from cvs and compile it manually with not too much hassle. It seems to rely on QT, though, so you might need to download a lot to make it work if you don't use KDE (not sure what's standard for gnome desktops). It should be possible, if you put the effort in, and people here would probably be helpful if they can.

The location of the code seems to be http://sourceforge.net/projects/qgo/develop , and is most easily accessed via cvs. I haven't had time to try this, and I don't know how to drive cvs, so I haven't tried it yet. This is somewhat more complex than using repositories, unfortunately.

Post #15 Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:41 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
I just built it for windows to play with today. One source code modification had to be made, but it was otherwise straightforward if you have QT.