It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: WAGC #39 Tokyo, Japan
Post #21 Posted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:59 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 49
Was liked: 129
Uberdude wrote:
Saying "Make sure you get to your game on time, you will forfeit if 20 minutes late. We suggest arranging a wake up call with hotel reception." during the opening ceremony / intro would be a good idea IMO and only takes 10 seconds.

Yes, why not, but aren't all participants more or less adults? If yes, then everyone should be able to figure it out all by themselves.

If someone is participating in a world championship and can't figure out how to get to their match in time, how do they survive in everyday life?

(I suspect that if someone has difficulty achieving that, then the suggested ten second reminder wont help much)

This post by tj86430 was liked by 3 people: dust, Javaness2, sorin

Post #22 Posted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:40 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 886
Was liked: 527
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
tj86430 wrote:
If someone is participating in a world championship and can't figure out how to get to their match in time, how do they survive in everyday life?

(I suspect that if someone has difficulty achieving that, then the suggested ten second reminder wont help much)

This person may be able to answer your question. He seems to be managing okay.

Post #23 Posted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:42 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
tj86430 wrote:
but aren't all participants more or less adults? If yes, then everyone should be able to figure it out all by themselves.

No, there are usually a few children/teenagers, and some pretty young: 2 years ago the Vietnamese player was 13 and Indonesian similar. You can see the ages on the contestant page.

tj86430 wrote:

I'm a generally functional adult who goes to work Monday to Friday on time. But in everyday life I don't change timezone and get jet lag, regularly go to bed around 11-12pm, am not disturbed by a raucous frog orgy outside my window, and have a bedside alarm clock that works well (but normally wake up naturally beforehand).

With 60 players and 4 days of play that's 240 opportunities for an oversleep. So even if everyone is a functional adult mistakes happen so having a missed game or two doesn't seem so surprising. Rather than feeling smug that one wouldn't be so silly as to miss a game, I think it's more helpful to try to reduce forfeits. (I remember that story about the Japanese pro who went upstairs in the Nihon Ki-in for a rest during the lunch break and fell asleep and forfeited his game).

Post #24 Posted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:30 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 186
Was liked: 191
It is a perennial problem that some players oversleep, especially for the first round. It looks bad not just for the players but the organizers, too. Maybe there should be a buddy system or something more proactive.

I was also puzzled by the byes and agree that a ghost player is a good idea.

Post #25 Posted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:51 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Calvin Clark wrote:
It is a perennial problem that some players oversleep, especially for the first round. It looks bad not just for the players but the organizers, too. Maybe there should be a buddy system or something more proactive.

One thing I learned in my 20s, both from writings and (a bit) from experience, is that jet lag is serious. This is not just a question of oversleeping, but of alertness and concentration. The first day of a world championship event bringing many players together from around the world should be ceremonial. That would not completely eliminate jet lag, but would allow players' diurnal clocks to adjust to some degree. And besides, a social day would have other benefits. :)

----
Hint to players. Before traveling, if possible, adjust your daily schedule as much as possible to the time zone to which you are headed. You may be able to do this somewhat gradually, for instance, by getting up 30 min. or an hour earlier each day.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #26 Posted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:02 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 314
I certainly underestimated my the effect of jet lag when I went to my first international tournament. For me two days were not enough to shake off the effects, I needed to have 3. If I went again to such a tournament, and I really wanted to try to get a good result, I might negotiate for a flight a day earlier and pay extra for a night in a hotel. Several ifs there.
Being woken up in the night is another hazard - sometimes it's the frogs, sometimes it's the other players. Regardless, I think it's something you should probably think about yourself if you're not a morning type.
The main bads to avoid are [1] to not to miss the plane and [2 (for your association)] to not to miss the invitation email.

Post #27 Posted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:43 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
Calvin Clark wrote:
It looks bad not just for the players but the organizers, too.
Agreed. This is one of many cases where the interesting question for someone in charge is not "who is responsible?", but "how do we make this event better?"

This post by hyperpape was liked by 2 people: Calvin Clark, Uberdude

Post #28 Posted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:08 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 542
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
The estimates given above are mostly too small for the time to recover from jet lag. A more accurate estimate would be #days = (0.5) x #hours of time shift. That would mean five to seven days to recover from traveling from the USA to Japan. That matches my own experience and I measured the recovery by how long it took my normal sleep times and bodily functions to return to normal. This is just an estimate and recovery time could vary from person to person. In practice if I were traveling from the USA to Japan to play in an important tournament I would try to get to Japan a week before the tournament. My personal physician has suggested to me that using melatonin can help to reset the diurnal clock.

This post by gowan was liked by: Bill Spight