It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: [Malkovich Chess] Kirby vs Krill
Post #21 Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:54 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
I played my first full on chess.com yesterday.
I have a game of chess in progress (on chess.com).
I am playing (and losing) a game through PM right now.
And I'm playing this game right here.

Maybe playing chess was what I needed to appreciate go more. I was getting flustered by losing a lot, but maybe I was just being a baby.

Post subject:
Post #22 Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:06 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Kirby,
Of the family tree, I like chess the best --
not because of the 'arbitrary' rules ( same problems in all the variants ),
but because of the elegance and universality of the iconic design.
Historically, just too bad xiangqi and shogi settled on the characters design.
Attachment:
prestige.jpg
prestige.jpg [ 119.37 KiB | Viewed 12573 times ]

Post #23 Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:09 pm 
Honinbo

I guess I'll just try to make him move his bishop away.

Post #24 Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:51 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 246
Was liked: 79
KGS: Krill
OGS: Krill

Forcing me to capture the knight and lose my bishop. I'm fine with this. For one thing, the side to which W is most likely to castle now has a pawn out of place. It's not a huge weakness, but it's less ideal (or at least, so I understand from my chess studies). But more importantly, he must recapture, since I am threatening his queen (and if he just moves his Queen, obviously I can capture again, squeezing more out of my bishop before losing it). After the recapture, whether with the queen or G pawn (the latter would weaken the kingside castle further), the D pawn is left hanging and I can gain a minor material advantage by capturing it with my bishop. I could also develop my knight to F6, which allows him to defend, but my attack on it will be up a tempo compared to his defense. I'm not sure whether it's better just to take or develop at this point.

Post #25 Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:44 am 
Honinbo

I don't want to move the queen out, because it seems risky.

Post #26 Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:14 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 49
Was liked: 129
Kirby wrote:

It's been more than 35 years since my last game of chess, but I would have taken the bishop with the queen. Perhaps that has something to do with my quitting chess?

Post #27 Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:46 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 886
Was liked: 527
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
tj86430 wrote:
Kirby wrote:

It's been more than 35 years since my last game of chess, but I would have taken the bishop with the queen. Perhaps that has something to do with my quitting chess?

You are correct. There's no risk to having the queen on f3, plus it would then be developed and could put pressure on points like f7 and b7. Instead, taking with the pawn weakens White's kingside hugely.

"Don't move your queen out too early" is standard advice to newcomers, but like all rules it is usually taken too seriously until one learns the real reasons behind it.

By the way, if Black takes the pawn, there might be some tricks with a discovered attack: 1...Bxd4 2.Bb5+ axb5 3.Qxd4 (both h8 and b5 are under attack) 3...e5 (defending h8 with tempo) and White is still a pawn down but may be able to harass Black's queenside pawns in the future.

Post #28 Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:06 am 
Lives in gote

Oof, I think he should have taken my bishop with the queen, that's a doubled pawn there now. Though I suppose he has an open file for his rook if he doesn't castle? In any case, I decided to take with the bishop. I realized that if I move the knight to F6, he can just push the pawn forward, threatening my knight in the process! For some reason, I often forget to consider pawn moves like that. If this were a live game, I probably would have made the mistake. But as this isn't, I was instead able to lose sleep by thinking about the position last night.

Post #29 Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:57 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 269
KGS: captslow
Online playing schedule: irregular and by appointment
Monadology wrote:
Neither of us are sure if this would be a nuisance to folks on the board who just play Go, so if you think this thread is inappropriate or bothersome, let one of us know!

Ok.
Hereby, I let you know that I consider this thread to be inappropriate. In my eyes, this is a nuisance indeed.
I don't like chess. I don't mind chess. This forum is about go.
If you want to do Malkovich things, go to the Malkovich forum and discuss whether Malkovich chess is appropriate over there. Or preferably, move it to chess.com or something.
I don't mind other people playing chess and enjoying that game, but please don't bother me with it.
Sorry if I sound harsh.

Post #30 Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:10 pm 
Lives in gote

sybob wrote:
\
Sorry if I sound harsh.

On second thought, not so sorry.
I think you display a disgrace to the founders, owners, operators/admins and users of this forum, a slap to their face, a total misuse of their hospitality and efforts.
Nobody deserves that. I would understand completely if an admin would delete your post altogether.

Post #31 Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:36 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
sybob wrote:
sybob wrote:
\
Sorry if I sound harsh.

I think you display a disgrace to the founders, owners, operators/admins and users of this forum, a slap to their face, a total misuse of their hospitality and efforts.
Nobody deserves that. I would understand completely if an admin would delete your post altogether..

LOL

Don't get so worked up about it! Remember, these aren't chess players: they are go players playing chess. Think of it like a cat picture thread - just one of those silly things go players do when they aren't playing go.

This post by daal was liked by: Joaz Banbeck

Post subject:
Post #32 Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:55 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Quote:
please don't bother me with it.
Bother you ?! How are they bothering you with it ?
This is Off Topic, with a very clear title Malkovich Chess, and

You choose to view it.

Sense of anger and pain -- some introspection couldn't hurt.

This post by EdLee was liked by: Waylon

Post #33 Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:09 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
sybob wrote:
sybob wrote:
\
Sorry if I sound harsh.

Nobody deserves that. I would understand completely if an admin would delete your post altogether.

viewforum.php?f=8

:D

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #34 Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:41 pm 
Lives in gote

Sorry this thread is bothering you Sybob. Thanks for letting us know. I'm consulting with Kirby. I certainly don't mind moving it to the Malkovich forum if that seems more appropriate. Personally, based on the fact that other members are participating in the thread (and so, presumably, getting something positive out of it), I'm disinclined to take it entirely off the message board unless there's at least a few people who find it irksome (or an admin/mod thinks it's inappropriate).

Post #35 Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:12 pm 
Honinbo

We can do over PM if you want, or we can go to another server, too. My main motivation in asking someone to play was that I feel like I'm friends with people on this forum, even if I haven't met a lot of you in person. I'd rather play a game (even if it's not go) with one of my friends than with a random person.

I totally get if you don't like the thread, so given that it's bothering you, I'm in support of an option where we don't cause an annoyance (i.e. one of the options proposed above).

I'll follow up with Monadology through PM.

Post #36 Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:29 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
EdLee wrote:
Quote:

You choose to view it.

He may not be choosing to view it, he may be annoyed by notifications / new items in the "unread posts" or similar feed. I believe the spam of this with the original Go malkovich games annoyed some users (e.g. JF) which is why the malkovich games were moved to their own subforum and a 'Mark Malkovich read" command was added to the page header so users who weren't interested in them could more easily ignore them.

Post #37 Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:09 am 
Lives in gote

Uberdude wrote:
EdLee wrote:
Quote:

You choose to view it.

He may not be choosing to view it, he may be annoyed by notifications / new items in the "unread posts" or similar feed. I believe the spam of this with the original Go malkovich games annoyed some users (e.g. JF) which is why the malkovich games were moved to their own subforum and a 'Mark Malkovich read" command was added to the page header so users who weren't interested in them could more easily ignore them.

This seems like a good argument for moving this to the Malkovich forums (perhaps "Other versions of turn-based games"?), so I think that should be done. Am I able to move the thread myself or does a mod need to do it?

Post #38 Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:41 pm 
Lives in gote

Monadology wrote:
Sorry this thread is bothering you Sybob. Thanks for letting us know. I'm consulting with Kirby. I certainly don't mind moving it to the Malkovich forum if that seems more appropriate. Personally, based on the fact that other members are participating in the thread (and so, presumably, getting something positive out of it), I'm disinclined to take it entirely off the message board unless there's at least a few people who find it irksome (or an admin/mod thinks it's inappropriate).

Thanks for your reply, Monadology.
I said it bothers me, yes. I did not say I take offense. Not at all. It is not my forum, it is not my thread. And I know you do not mean to come across as behaving inappropriate.
You were so kind as to ask if it bothers people. I answered. That's all.

It is not that I dislike chess players, chess discussions, the game of chess, or go players who happen to also like and play chess, au contraire. Your thread just seemed out of place to me.

I do not feel inclined to try to further discuss, explain or comment on other replies, other than saying: let it be people, don't be uptight, nor suggest someone other is 'worked up' or 'needs introspection', if he/she just answers a question and expresses his view on that question. I always thought the go community and this forum is far too friendly for such remarks.

Post #39 Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:30 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
sybob wrote:
I do not feel inclined to try to further discuss, explain or comment on other replies, other than saying: let it be people, don't be uptight, nor suggest someone other is 'worked up' or 'needs introspection', if he/she just answers a question and expresses his view on that question. I always thought the go community and this forum is far too friendly for such remarks.
That's funny. I thought the forum was far too friendly for remarks such as:
sybob wrote:

Just answering a question. I see. And other people are uptight. Got it.

Post #40 Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:43 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
<admin>
I moved this thread into the Malkovich subforum.
</admin>

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next