All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Foreign Teams in 2018 China Weiqi League
Post #21 Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:19 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 124
Was liked: 364
KGS: wolfking6504
Tygem: wolfking97
After one day rest round 6 was played on June 18th. Ilya won his fourth game in a row! This time against Cui Chao 3p of Team Shanghai Qingyi Sports. There was an interview of Ilya on yikeweiqi.com after his three consecutive wins. I will translate some of the contents later. First the results:

1. Ilya Shikshin 1:0 Cui Chao 3p
2. Pavol Lisy 0:1 Tang Yi 3p
3. Artem Kachanovskyi 0:1 Cao Cong 1p
4. Mateusz Surma 0:1 Han Enyi 6D

Cui Chao is number 273 in CWA ranking with an Elo of 2212 so no surprise there :). But unfortunately that was the only win Team Europe got in round 6. Pavol could not break through against Tang Yi 3p who is actually ranked higher at 181. Mateusz lost to Han Enyi 6D, an opponent he beat last year in round 5.

Their final round opponent will be Team Shenzhen Xingrui. This is probably the weakest opponent they have met so far, at least judging by CWA ranking. Shenzhen's highest ranked player is board 3 Wang Jiabao 1p at number 298. Their first two boards are ranked close to bottom of all active CWA pros. Their board 4 is Zhou Xiang amateur 6D. I am not saying it is easy but this might just be the best chance for Team Europe to squeeze out a win!

Ilya vs Cui Chao
Attachment:
2018Leagues_r6_52_ilya_cuiChao_resize.jpg
2018Leagues_r6_52_ilya_cuiChao_resize.jpg [ 71.64 KiB | Viewed 10665 times ]
Pavol's round 6 opponent Tang Yi 3p
Attachment:
2018Leagues_r5_tangYi_resize.jpg
2018Leagues_r5_tangYi_resize.jpg [ 59.17 KiB | Viewed 10665 times ]
Surma's round 5 opponent Wu Yiming 6D
Attachment:
2018Leagues_r6_37_wuYiming_resize.jpg
2018Leagues_r6_37_wuYiming_resize.jpg [ 45.72 KiB | Viewed 10665 times ]

Edit: Tang Yi is actually 3p.

Last edited by wolfking on Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

This post by wolfking was liked by: Bojanic

Post #22 Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:48 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 167
Was liked: 44
Wow, 4 wins in a row for Ilya! Good for him. Looks like he traded places with Matheusz Surma this year.
It looks like Ilya can hold his own against 3p players. I believe 3o is his actual strength right now.
They are lucky to have played team #30, otherwise they would not have 4 points right now...

The taiwanese teams have numbers #6 and #10, right? They seem to be head and shoulders above everyone else in League C.

Is the Japanese team #2? It took me a long time to understand what google translation says about the teams (and that you should learn the number and follow that rather than the name). And now that I finally understand how to read the score charts, the tournament is ending... :sad:

Shibano Toramaru (4-2) is doing relatively well. But I am not sure this team is ready for League A. Also, he has lost twice to players of lower rank, so I believe his promotion to 7p was premature. Frankly, I don't think these big rank jumps on winning a tournament are justified.

Thank you for helping us follow this. It is fascinating.

As a general comment, I believe the Chinese have the strongest team. The Koreans have the #1 player and a few others right at the top, but overall I think the Chinese are stronger. Japan seems to be a distant #3 I'm afraid.

I would hope the Chinese invite an american team. That might be the best chance for Europe for a win. ;-)

Post #23 Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:58 pm 
Lives in gote

It was another tie for Team Japan. They are not out of it by any means but they need to win more rounds to advance to League A

Round 6: Team Japan tied Team Henan Yatai Go Club 2:2
1. Shibano Toramaru 1:0 Zhang Yingting 5p
2. Ida Atsushi 1:0 Zhang Ziliang 3p
3. Yu Zhengqi 1:0 Chen Hanqi 2p
4. Hsu Chiayuan 0:1 Li YuAng 1p

Team Henan was the surprise team for the first half and started the tournament by winning 3 rounds in a row. New pro from last year Li Yuang 1p has performed brilliantly and lost only one game to Wuhan's Hu Yuefeng 5p in six rounds. A tie with Henan is not a bad result.

The promotion picture is very muddy in the BL. Team Shenzhen and Team Wuhan Sanmin are tied at the top with 8 points. Japan tied with 5 other teams with 7 points. Nobody is guaranteed to be in or out of promotion yet. It will all depends on the last two round results.

Hsu Chiayuan(Left) vs Li Yu'ang
Attachment:
2018Leagues_r6_77_xuJiangyuan_liYuAng_resize.jpg
2018Leagues_r6_77_xuJiangyuan_liYuAng_resize.jpg [ 69.04 KiB | Viewed 10635 times ]

Post #24 Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:59 pm 
Lives in gote

silviu22 wrote:
Wow, 4 wins in a row for Ilya! Good for him. Looks like he traded places with Matheusz Surma this year.
It looks like Ilya can hold his own against 3p players. I believe 3o is his actual strength right now.
They are lucky to have played team #30, otherwise they would not have 4 points right now...

Yes Ilya is like last year's Mateusz but his results is even harder to achieve since he plays at board 1 and generally gets strongest opponents!

silviu22 wrote:
The taiwanese teams have numbers #6 and #10, right? They seem to be head and shoulders above everyone else in League C.

Is the Japanese team #2? It took me a long time to understand what google translation says about the teams (and that you should learn the number and follow that rather than the name). And now that I finally understand how to read the score charts, the tournament is ending... :sad:

Yes the Taiwan teams are #6 and #10 on the CL score charts and Japan is #2 in BL. The sheets is not easy to read if you do not understand Chinese. I could post the score charts but figured people might not be interested in reading all the Chinese team names.

silviu22 wrote:
Shibano Toramaru (4-2) is doing relatively well. But I am not sure this team is ready for League A.

I think if Team Japan can get into AL they might be able to get Ichiriki Ryo on the team(even getting Iyama is not out of the question). Yes I agree that there is a chance to get demoted but that is how you get stronger: by playing with stronger opponents. Also having a team playing in the AL might generate more interest in Japan and should be good for Go community in general.

Post #25 Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:18 pm 
Lives in gote

Finally we get to the Taiwan teams. Like silviu22 said the two Taiwan CL teams seem to be head and shoulders above others. Both teams won 3:1 against their round 6 opponents.

Team Haifeng Go Institute 3:1 Team Shanghai Sports Club

1. Lin Junyan 1:0 Chen Dongru 3p
2. Xu Haohong 0:1 Wu Zhenyu 2p
3. Jian Jingting 1:0 Chen Yifu 1p
4. Lai Junfu 0:1 Gao Yidian 6D

Team Zhonghuan 3:1 Peking University + Beijing Go Institute

1. Chen Shiyuan 0:1 Cheng Honghao 3p
2. Xiao Zhenghao 1:0 Cao Youyin 3p
3. Lin Shixun 1:0 Tian Ruiqi 2p
4. Chen Qirui 1:0 Zhang Chenglong 5D

Unlike BL the CL promotion situation is much clearer. Team Haifeng has accumulated 11 points and has guaranteed a spot in next year's BL. Team Zhonghuan has 10 points at number 2 position and because of the two 4:0 sweeps they had is also very likely to be promoted. Hangzhou International, Yunnan Go Association, Shanghai Sports Club, Hangzhou Go School and New Tianyi Jiangsu Go Association are all tied with 8 points at third place. But Hangzhou International and Jiangsu Go Association gets the two Taiwan teams in the final round so they may just stay at 8 points. Yunnan and Hangzhou Go School are playing each other next so if one of them wins then all teams with 7 points (there are 5 of them) will be eliminated. Shanghai Sports Club plays Luoyang Software (with 7 points) in round 7. So the third promotion spot is still up for grabs.

Meanwhile Haifeng Women's Team did not fare well in round 6. They got swept by Dalian Yidao (Yidao means "The Way of Go").

1. Yu Lijun 0:1 Gu Wanshan 1p
2. Yang Zixuan 0:1 Chu KeEr 6D
3. Bai Xinhui 0:1 Huang Jiayi 5D

Gu Wanshan is a very strong new pro from last year and has so far only lost to Korean number 1 Choi Jeong 9p in this tournament. Choi Jeong's Team Shanxi Tianyuan Go Institute has won every round and will play in WAL next year. Hangzhou Go School, Shanghai Qingyi Minghe, Dalian Yidao and China Pingmei all tied at 8 points in second place. Since Hangzhou Go School will play China Pingmei next teams with 6 points (including Haifeng Women's Team and Nyu Eiko's Team Harbin) or less are eliminated. Which team will go to WAL together with Shanxi is still to be determined tomorrow in round 7.

Haifeng's Lin Junyan 7p (Right) vs Shanghai Sport Club Chen Dongru 3p
Attachment:
2018Leagues_r6_78_chenDongru_linJunyan_resize.jpg
2018Leagues_r6_78_chenDongru_linJunyan_resize.jpg [ 92.22 KiB | Viewed 10616 times ]
Zhonghuan's Chen Shiyuan 9p (Right) vs Peking University + Beijing Go Institute Cheng Honghao 3p
Attachment:
2018Leagues_r6_79_chenShiyuan_chengHonghao_resize.jpg
2018Leagues_r6_79_chenShiyuan_chengHonghao_resize.jpg [ 95.25 KiB | Viewed 10616 times ]
Yu Lijun 2p (Left) vs Dalian Yidao's Gu Wanshan 1p
Attachment:
2018Leagues_r6_15_yuLijun_guWanshan_resize.jpg
2018Leagues_r6_15_yuLijun_guWanshan_resize.jpg [ 72.61 KiB | Viewed 10616 times ]

Last edited by wolfking on Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This post by wolfking was liked by 2 people: silviu22, tim

Post #26 Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:16 pm 
Lives in gote

Here is a translation of the YikeWeiqi.com interview with Ilya Shikshin 2p. You can follow this link: http://www.yikeweiqi.com/news/topline/46362/ if you want to read the original Chinese interview.

Q: Congratulations on the 3 consecutive wins! How do you feel at this moment?

A: Very happy! So far every opponent is very strong. Our strength are really close, I got the wins maybe because I tried harder.

Q: Did you set up any goals before the tournament? Have you expected to win 3 in a row?

A: Not really, I was just going to try my best to win games. Last year we had three ties, so before the tournament I was hoping that we could win some rounds.

Q: Which win is the most memorable?

A: The second one (against Cheng Honghao 3p). I was way behind after the opening. After the game we checked with Golaxy (星阵, a strong Chinese Go AI) and at one point my win rate was at 20%. But my opponent relaxed a little during the mid game and I got a big territory in the center and the game was closer. He made a few more mistakes in the end game and I was lucky to win by 1.5 points.

Q: Do you feel you got stronger than last year? How was your daily training?

A: Yes I am stronger. Daily training consists of playing online, replay top pro's games and review games using AI. Recently there were online opponents using AI to play against me, not sure if that is because I was playing using my pro account.

Q: This year there is Golaxy to help you revew the game. Do you perceive any difference between Golaxy and other AIs?

A: Yes Golaxy is very helpful. It makes the positional judgement much clearer. Different AIs might choose different openings and josekis, but their mid game and end game calculations and positional judgement are very similar. I think there are at least 3 stone difference between us and AIs.

Q: Is this the first time you have played a Chinese female pro? Gao Xing is a member of the Chinese Women's National Team and plays many international tournament, have you met her before? Can you tell us about today's game (vs Gao Xing)?

A: Yes. I have not met her before. Today her opening choice was not very good and I got quite an advantage. Afterward I just tried to keep that advantage. By end of the game I was about 5 points ahead and she resigned.

Q: What do you think your biggest goal and take away from these CL tournaments are?

A: To us these games are very good training and help us to gain valuable experiences. In Europe we all play with familiar opponents and it was hard to improve. Here we play with many Chinese players with very different playing styles. Last year I was not used to their styles and did not perform well. This year I have adapted much better.

Q: This year's World Cup is in Russia, will you be attending any live soccer matches? Which team do you think will win it all?

A: I am not a soccer fan so probably will not go to any live matches. But my wife is a fan so I will be watching at home. If I have to venture a guess it will probably be Brazil.

Round 3 Ilya vs Li Le 4p
Attachment:
ilya_liLe_copy.jpg
ilya_liLe_copy.jpg [ 53.39 KiB | Viewed 10609 times ]
Round 4 Ilya vs Cheng Honghao 3p
Attachment:
ilya_chengHonghao_copy.jpg
ilya_chengHonghao_copy.jpg [ 56.65 KiB | Viewed 10609 times ]
Round 5 Ilya vs Gao Xing 4p
Attachment:
ilya_gaoXing_copy.jpg
ilya_gaoXing_copy.jpg [ 57.59 KiB | Viewed 10609 times ]

This post by wolfking was liked by 6 people: daal, ez4u, silviu22, tim, Uberdude, Waylon

Post #27 Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:07 am 
Lives with ko

I think Japan and Europe both lost (1-3) if I interpret those charts properly. Also, I think the top Taiwan men's team lost while the second drew? And it is very likely the 3rd qualifier from C is the team that beat Taiwan #1?

I am quite curious to see which european won in the last round. It would be nice if Matheusz got a consolation win.

These new 1p players seem to have a very misleading rank. If I read this correctly the only loss so far for Ilya was a new 1p? And from worlfking's posts, other new 1p defeated players of much higher rank. So the new 1ps and the ones who just missed last year's qualification might be stronger than some of the old 2/3p players in this league.

And yes, wolfking, Ilya's performance is so much more remarkable because he player on table 1. (Even though I think some weaker teams are strategically placing their strongest player on table #2 to increase the chance of winning a game). Come to think of it, it might be best for Europe to place their weakest player on table 1 to increase the chance of getting 2/3 wins in a match.

I am looking forward to seeing Ilya again. I hope they send him to the next Samsung cup. I believe he has adapted to the Asian playing style enough to get to the main rounds.

Post #28 Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:17 am 
Lives with ko

silviu22 wrote:
Shibano Toramaru (4-2) is doing relatively well. But I am not sure this team is ready for League A.

I think if Team Japan can get into AL they might be able to get Ichiriki Ryo on the team(even getting Iyama is not out of the question). Yes I agree that there is a chance to get demoted but that is how you get stronger: by playing with stronger opponents. Also having a team playing in the AL might generate more interest in Japan and should be good for Go community in general.[/quote]

I agree that Japanese player need to play more often against the Chinese/Korean players. And playing in these Chinese/Korean leagues might be the best way to do that. Even Iyama Yuta seems to do quite poorly against the top foreign players even though he dominates the Japanese tournaments. Shibano might end up getting much stronger than his Japanese peers after playing in the B League. And if I read his record properly (seems to be 4-3 now?) the top table in the B League seems to be very challenging for him. It will be interesting to watch how he performs in the future. I hope he improves to challenge Iyama, the Chinese and Koreans in the future.

It would definitely good for Japanese Go to get Ichiriki and Shibano on the same team.

Post #29 Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:55 am 
Lives in gote

Round 7 was played on June 19th. This was the final round for the CL, WBL and the penultimate round for the BL.

Team Europe could not break through for their first win and lost to Team Shenzhen Xingrui 1:3 in the final round. Mateusz did get his second win of the tournament.

1. Ilya Shikshin 0:1 Jiang Jidou 1p
2. Pavol Lisy 0:1 Chen Yafeng 1p
3. Artem Kachanovskyi 0:1 Wang Jiabao 1p
4. Mateusz Surma 1:0 Zhou Xiang 6D

It must be disappointing for Pavol to not get a win this year. But I think it might be more disappointing for Team Europe to get only two ties no wins. At least this year they did not finish at last place. They were ahead of Team Jilin due to two more won games.

Team Japan also lost 1:3 to a strong Tibet Zhongchi team led by Ahn Kukhyun 8p of Korea.
1. Shibano Toramaru 0:1 Ahn Kukhyun 8p
2. Ida Atsushi 0:1 Liu Xing 7p
3. Yu Zhengqi 0:1 Chen Xian 6p
4. Hsu Chiayuan 1:0 Zhang Yabo 4p

Unfortunately this means Team Japan is eliminated from promotion with only 7 points. Shenzhen, Tibet and Wuhan are tied at the top with 9 points and there are 5 more teams with 8 points. Because all three 9 point teams will be playing 8 point teams in the final round, there will be at least three teams with 10 points or more so Team Japan is out.

Ilya vs Jiang Jidou 1p
Attachment:
2018Leagues_r7_21_ilya_jiangJidou_resize.jpg
2018Leagues_r7_21_ilya_jiangJidou_resize.jpg [ 66.44 KiB | Viewed 10470 times ]
Shibano Toramaru (Right) vs Ahn Kukhyun 8p
Attachment:
2018Leagues_r7_33_anGuoxuan_zhiYeHuWan_resize.jpg
2018Leagues_r7_33_anGuoxuan_zhiYeHuWan_resize.jpg [ 68.98 KiB | Viewed 10470 times ]

Post #30 Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:09 am 
Lives in gote

Now it is quite a different story for the two Taiwan CL teams. Team Haifeng Go Institute already collected enough points to go to the BL even before round 7 was played. Haifeng lost in round 7 but it did not matter for them. Team Zhonghuan tied with Team Hangzhou International to get to 11 points and also advanced to BL.

Team Haifeng Go Institute 1:3 Team New Tianyi Jiangsu Go Association (Japanese player marked red):
1. Lin Junyan 1:0 Liu Zhaozhe 4p
2. Xu Haohong 0:1 Sada Atsushi 3p
3. Jian Jingting 0:1 Qiu Jinbo 3p
4. Lai Junfu 0:1 Liu Yuncheng 1p

Team Zhonghuan 2:2 Team Hangzhou International
1. Chen Shiyuan 1:0 Yan Huan 6p
2. Xiao Zhenghao 0:1 Luo Yan 3p
3. Lin Shixun 1:0 Li Biqi 3p
4. Chen Qirui 0:1 Yang Rundong 3p

All the other teams that were in contention for the third promotion position tied with their opponents. Team Jiangsu got a valuable win from Sada Atsushi 3p of Japan and was able to beat Team Haifeng to advance to BL.

Haifeng's Lin Junyan 7p (Right) vs Liu Zhaozhe 4p
Attachment:
2018Leagues_r7_39_liuZhaozhe_linJunyan_resize.jpg
2018Leagues_r7_39_liuZhaozhe_linJunyan_resize.jpg [ 68.37 KiB | Viewed 10447 times ]
Chen Shiyuan 9p (Left) vs Yan Huan 6p
Attachment:
2018Leagues_r7_25_chenShiyuan_yanHuan_resize.jpg
2018Leagues_r7_25_chenShiyuan_yanHuan_resize.jpg [ 65.69 KiB | Viewed 10447 times ]
Team Jiangsu's Sada Atsushi 3p
Attachment:
2018Leagues_r6_72_zuoTianDuShi_resize.jpg
2018Leagues_r6_72_zuoTianDuShi_resize.jpg [ 55.6 KiB | Viewed 10447 times ]

Post #31 Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:30 pm 
Lives with ko

Ah, so Ilya defeated 4 opponents of rank 3p & 4p, but lost to the two opponents of 1p? These new 1p players are very strong or Ilya underestimated them. I'm glad Mattheusz got another win, but I'm sure Pavol and Artem must be pretty disappointed with their results. I wonder if one of them might be replaced next year by Ali Jabarin.

Only two teams promoted from C to B? So the second Taiwanese team did not qualify?

How did you get all these pictures? Were you at the tournament?

How many teams were promoted from League B last year? Were any of them one of the two teams at the bottom of League A this year?

Anyway, thank you for reporting all this for us. It is quite difficult to understand the automatic translation of the results. I wouldn't have been able to make any sense of those pages without your help.

Post #32 Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:44 pm 
Lives with ko

wolfking, what were the final results for the two kids?

Post #33 Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:07 pm 
Lives in gote

Haifeng Women's Team was eliminated even before the final round. The team that beat them in round 6, Team Dalian Yidao, turned out to be the eventual second place winner and advanced to WAL. In the final round Haifeng lost 1:2 to Team Gansu.
1. Yu Lijun 0:1 Wang Qianyu 1p
2. Yang Zixuan 1:0 Yang Qiqi 1p
3. Bai Xinhui 0:1 Ren Ke 5D

Dalian was a surprise second place winner since the team consists of a new pro (albeit a very strong one) and two amateurs. Gu Wanshan 1p at Dalian's board 1 only lost to Choi Jeong 9p in round 5 and Oh Jeonga 3p in round 7. As it turned out her performance not only generated wins for her team but was also important as a tie breaker, because Dalian tied with Hangzhou Go School in round scores, number of won games, total opponent round scores, and edged out Team Hangzhou precisely by board 1 scoring. Dalian's Huang Jiayi 5D at board 3 also did very well with 5 wins and contributed a crucial win in the final round against Shanghai Qingyi's phenomenal new pro Tang Jiawen 1p. Tang Jiawen turn pro last year at age 13 and was undefeated going into round 7! Huang Jiayi's win sealed a spot in the WAL for team Dalian.

Now that they are in the WAL I am curious to see what they do with the two amateur players. AFAIK you can only have one amateur on the team in the WAL so they probably will have to drop one of them, unless one or both amateurs can pass pro exam next month.

Final standing of WBL (numbers inside parenthesis are round score, game score, opponent round score resp.)

1. Shanxi Tianyuan Go Institute (14, 34, 56)
2. Dalian Yidao (10, 28, 56) Placed 2nd on board 1 scoring

The two teams above will play in WAL in 2019

3. Hangzhou Go School (10, 28, 56)
4. Shanghai Qingyi Minghe (8, 26, 58)
5. China Pingmei (8, 24, 60)
6. Harbin Six Harmony (8, 24, 52)
7. Hangzhou West Lake (8, 18, 48)
8. Gansu (6, 22, 44)
9. Guangzhou Go Institute (6, 18, 44)
10. Heilongjiang (6, 18, 36)
11. Haifeng Go Institute (6, 16, 54)
12. Beijing Youth (4, 14, 40)
13. Hebei Xin'ao (2, 12, 42)
14. Beijing Go Institute (2, 12, 40)

Yu Lijun 2p (Right) vs new pro Wang Qianyu 1p of Team Gansu
Attachment:
2018Leagues_r7_3_yuLijun_wangQianyu_resize.jpg
2018Leagues_r7_3_yuLijun_wangQianyu_resize.jpg [ 67.14 KiB | Viewed 10408 times ]
Gu Wanshan 1p of Team Dalian
Attachment:
2018Leagues_r6_10_guWanshan_resize.jpg
2018Leagues_r6_10_guWanshan_resize.jpg [ 58.85 KiB | Viewed 10408 times ]
Tang Jiawen 1p of Team Shanghai Qingyi
Attachment:
2018Leagues_r6_22_tangJiawen_resize.jpg
2018Leagues_r6_22_tangJiawen_resize.jpg [ 52.73 KiB | Viewed 10408 times ]

Post #34 Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:41 pm 
Lives in gote

silviu22 wrote:
wolfking, what were the final results for the two kids?

silviu22, I will try to answer all your questions later :). For the two kids, Wu Yiming's Team Hangzhou City finished 20th with 6 points, Wu herself finished with 4 wins! Hu Zihao's Team Hangzhou Go Association finished 26th with 4 points, Hu finished with 2 wins. By the way they are not the youngest players in the CL! That honor belongs to Team Quzhou Daily's 10 year old Zhang Xinyu 5D. Zhang finished with 1 win.

Final standing of CL (numbers inside parenthesis are round score, game score, opponent round score resp.):

1. Haifeng Go Institute (11, 40, 61)
2. Taiwan Zhonghuan (11, 40, 57)
3. New Tianyi Jiangsu (10, 34, 57)

The 3 teams above will play in the BL in 2019

4. Hangzhou Go School (9, 34, 56)
5. Yunnan Go Association (9, 34, 55)
6. Shanghai Sports Club (9, 32, 64)
7. Hangzhou International (9, 32, 61)
8. Ningxia (9, 32, 52)
9. Ningxia Bagesi Vineyard (9, 28, 40)
10. China Coal Industry Go Institute (8, 32, 43)
11. Luoyang Software (8, 30, 58)
12. Shanxi Go Association (8, 20, 44)
13. Xinjiang Ao'sheng (7, 30, 58)
14. Hangzhou Supor (7, 30, 50)
15. Heilongjiang (7, 30, 46)
16. Sina Hangzhou (7, 28, 49)
17. Peking University Beijing Go Institute (7, 28, 48)
18. Tianjin University (7, 24, 37)
19. Beijing Yiben Qingyuan (6, 26, 59)
20. Hangzhou City (6, 26, 42) (Wu Yiming's team)
21. Quzhou Daily (6, 24, 49) (Zhang Xinyu's team)
22. Shanghai Qingyi Sports (6, 24, 46)
23. Beijing Phoenix Real Estate (6, 20, 45)
24. Shenzhen Xingrui (6, 18, 36)
25. Chengdu Go Institute (5, 24, 42)
26. Gansu (5, 22, 50)
27. Hangzhou Go Association (4, 18, 42)
28. Tsinghua Zijing (Team Europe) (4, 14, 40)
29. Jilin Yuqianshu (4, 10, 39)

Youngest players in the CL:

11 year old Wu Yiming 6D Playing against Guo Xinyi 5p (Guo 5p played for Team Xinjiang in CL) in PICC Insurance Cup earlier in May 2018
Attachment:
2018 PICCCup_WuYiming_GuoXinyi_resize.jpg
2018 PICCCup_WuYiming_GuoXinyi_resize.jpg [ 51.54 KiB | Viewed 10391 times ]
11 year old Hu Zihao 6D
Attachment:
2018 WeixingCup_huZiHao_resize.jpg
2018 WeixingCup_huZiHao_resize.jpg [ 52.77 KiB | Viewed 10391 times ]
10 year old Zhang Xinyu 5D
Attachment:
2018Leagues_r4_41_ZhangXinyu_resize.jpg
2018Leagues_r4_41_ZhangXinyu_resize.jpg [ 47.01 KiB | Viewed 10391 times ]

Edit: Fixed typo for Team Chengdu's name (I missed the 'g' in Chengdu)

Last edited by wolfking on Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post #35 Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:07 pm 
Lives in gote

silviu22 wrote:
These new 1p players seem to have a very misleading rank. If I read this correctly the only loss so far for Ilya was a new 1p? And from worlfking's posts, other new 1p defeated players of much higher rank. So the new 1ps and the ones who just missed last year's qualification might be stronger than some of the old 2/3p players in this league.

silviu22, the 1p to 9p ranking system has been pratically obsolete for a long time now. Both CWA and KBA have being using an Elo based ranking system for couple of decades. And the strength difference between top pros and top amateurs in China is 2 stones at most. So it is not as surprising as old times if a new pro 1p beats a top 9p (unless that top 9p is Ke Jie :)). By the way Ke Jie was a 4p before winning his first international title and promoted to 9p overnight. If not for these new promotion rules the 1p-9p designation almost give no indication of player strength. And there are always some very strong new pros every year that will give any 9p fits.

silviu22 wrote:
(Even though I think some weaker teams are strategically placing their strongest player on table #2 to increase the chance of winning a game).

There are actually rules in league plays that precisely aimed at curbing this practice. In all 3 leagues the board position must be set at the very beginning (actually during registration) and cannot be changed midway through the tournament. Also the board position from 1 to 4 must follow one of the two rules: 1. You go by the old 1p-9p system from high dan to low dan; 2. You go by the latest CWA Elo rating (for this tournament is was March 31st 2018 rating) from high to low. Amateur players can only go on the lower boards. Only exception is if you are oversea player like Korean/Japan invites or teams like Japan and Europe pros. Then you can do whatever you want.

Edit: On the last line, by "whatever you want" I mean you can set the board position anyway you want, but once set you cannot change it midway through tournament!

Post #36 Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:50 pm 
Lives in gote

silviu22 wrote:
Only two teams promoted from C to B? So the second Taiwanese team did not qualify?

Three teams get promoted every year from CL to BL. So both Taiwan teams are in. But they actually started in BL several years ago and was quickly demoted to CL so there is no guarantee they can hang around in BL.

silviu22 wrote:
How did you get all these pictures? Were you at the tournament?

No I wish I could be there but unfortunately I live in the US. Actually Wuxi is only two and half hours away from my hometown Hangzhou but usually June is not the month I go back home.

Most of the photos I posted are credited to Sina Sports. A few of them (for example photos in the Ilya interview) were from yikeweiqi.com. I used links last year but many of the links are obsolete now so I decide to upload the picture instead. But I should have put in credits for all the photos.

sina.sports.com.cn has many more tournament photos. If you are interested I can post some links for you.

silviu22 wrote:
How many teams were promoted from League B last year? Were any of them one of the two teams at the bottom of League A this year?

Normally only two teams get promoted each year but this year is an expansion year for the A-League, meaning there will be only 1 team demoted from AL and 3 teams promoted from BL to AL. And yes Team Guangdong East Lake Go Institute and Team Henan Yatai Go Club are demoted AL teams from last year. This year's AL is still going strong and eventual bottom team will be playing in BL next year.

This post by wolfking was liked by 2 people: clemi, Waylon

Post #37 Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:27 am 
Lives in gote

The dust finally settled in the BL. Going into round 8 there were 3 teams with 9 points (Shenzhen, Tibet, Wuhan), 5 teams with 8 points, and all the 9 point teams are playing 8 point teams.

Wuhan Sanmin matched up with Lhasa Go Institute in round 8. Wuhan's Chen Hao 6p beat Pang Fei 5p at board 3 to start the scoring. But then Lhasa's Mao Ruilong 5p beat Niu Yutian 7p at board 2, Zhang Qiang 4p beat Hu Yuefeng 5p at board 4, and Lhasa leads 2 to 1. The final result hinges on too Korean players at board 1. Eventually Lhasa's Lee Jihyun 4p beat previously undefeated Seol Hyunjun 3p to earn 2 points. Lhasa beat Wuhan 3:1 to finish at 10 points.

Tibet gets Team Jiangxi in the final round. Again it is board 3 finished first, this time it was Chen Xian 6p killed Tong Yulin 4p's dragon to draw first blood for Team Tibet. But then 2015 LG Cup champion Kang Dongyun 9p beat fellow Korean Ahn Kukhyun 8p to tie it up. The last 2 games finished almost simultaneously: Tibet's Liu Xing 7p lost to Jiangxi's Zhu Yuanhao 5p at board 2, but Zhang Yabo 4p beat Qiao Zhijian 5p at board 4. Final result: Tibet 2:2 Jiangxi, and Tibet finished at 10 points too.

Team Shenzhen plays China Pingmei in round 8. Shenzhen's Yun Chanhee 7p beat Shu Yixiao 4p at board 3, Han Han 5p beat Li Chengsen 4p at board 2, Zhang Ze 4p lost to Hu Aohua 3p at board 4. With two wins in hand Shenzhen secured a tie for at least 1 point and a spot in the AL next year. The game at board 1 becomes non-consequential but Shenzhen's Gan Siyang 5p (who is famous for his 'Yangchun Style' high opening) was able to beat Pingmei's Korean help Kim Sonjin 5p to give Shenzhen 2 points. Shenzhen finished at the top of BL with 11 total points.

The two AL demoted teams from last year Guangdong East Lake and Henan Yatai both accumulated 8 points and plays each other in round 8. Guangdong's world champion Park Yeonghun 9p beat Zhang Yingting 5p at board 1, Rong Yi 5p beat Zhang Ziliang 3p at board 2 to secure a tie. Their board 3 Wang Haoyang 6p lost to Chen Hanqi 2p, but An Dongxu 6p was able to beat Henan's strong new pro Li Yu'ang 1p at board 4 to get Guangdong to 10 total points.

So Shenzhen leads at 11 points, Lhasa, Tibet, Guangdong all have 10 points, but Lhasa and Tibet leads Guangdong in games won. Lhasa and Tibet will go to AL and Guangdong will stay in the BL.

Team Japan was out of promotion going in. They beat Shanghai Jushen Sports (aka 'Mini Qingqi') 3:1 to finish at 6th place.

1. Shibano Toramaru 1:0 Wang Yichen 3p
2. Ida Atsushi 0:1 Huang Mingyu 2p
3. Yu Zhengqi 1:0 Wan Leqi 2p
4. Hsu Chiayuan 1:0 Chen Yichun 1p

Shibano Toramaru (Right) vs Wang Yichen
Attachment:
2018Leagues_r8_3_zhiYe_wangYichen_resize.jpg
2018Leagues_r8_3_zhiYe_wangYichen_resize.jpg [ 68.27 KiB | Viewed 10231 times ]

Edit: Fixed Team Tibet Chen Xian's rank (should be 6p not 3p). Typo in Qiao Zhijian's name (I spelled it Zhaijian with an extra 'a').

Post #38 Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:19 pm 
Lives in gote

Final standing of the BL (numbers inside parenthesis are round score, game score, opponent round score resp.):

1. Shenzhen (11, 40, 68)
2. Lhasa Go Institute (10, 40, 59)
3. Tibet Zhongchi (10, 38, 68)

The 3 teams above will play in AL in 2019.

4. Guangdong East Lake Go Institute (10, 36, 65)
5. Wuhan Sanmin (9, 36, 72)
6. China-Japan Friendship (9, 34, 67)
7. Jiang Xi Marco Polo (9, 32, 72)
8. China Pingmei (8, 34, 58)
9. China Mobile Shanghai (8, 32, 62)
10. Henan Yatai Go Club (8, 30, 73)
11. Shanghai Qingyi Zhongyan (7, 32, 59)
12. Yunnan (7, 30, 58)
13. 21 Culture Shanghai Foreign Language University (6, 28, 59)
14. Shanghai Jushen Sports (6, 26, 58)
15. Hebei Xin'ao (5, 24, 63)
16. Guangdong Foshan (5, 20, 63)

Team Shenzhen (from right to left: Gan Siyang 5p, Han Han 5p, Yun Chanhee 7p, Zhang Ce 4p)
Attachment:
2018Leagues_r8_1_TeamShenzhen_resize.jpg
2018Leagues_r8_1_TeamShenzhen_resize.jpg [ 73.13 KiB | Viewed 10209 times ]
Team Tibet (from right to left: Ahn Kukhyun 8p, Liu Xing 7p, Chen Xian 6p, Zhang Yabo 4p)
Attachment:
2018Leagues_r8_2_TeamTibet_resize.jpg
2018Leagues_r8_2_TeamTibet_resize.jpg [ 70.32 KiB | Viewed 10209 times ]

Last edited by wolfking on Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post #39 Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:23 pm 
Lives with ko

Quote:
silviu22, the 1p to 9p ranking system has been pratically obsolete for a long time now.

I totally agree with that, too. Due to these new fast track promotions, all the higher ranks mean is "this player did very well in a big tournament at some point". I would very much be in favor of eliminating the fast track promotions and replacing them with requiring a certain number of wins. Or, at most, require more tournament wins for a promotion. The strong players will get to the high rank, it will just take more time.

I find the ELO style system a much better indicator of a player's strength. And that strength rises/drops with age, whereas the rank never seems to go down. I have seen a lot of players in EGF with high ranks (3d-7d) that routinely lose to players of lower rank. (And their EGF/ELO rating shows their current real strength is below that).

Quote:
In all 3 leagues the board position must be set at the very beginning (actually during registration) and cannot be changed midway through the tournament

It is good that you don't change the order. But if there are rules for prohibiting that, that means the tournament organizers intend to have the players ordered by strength. And in that case, team Europe should play by the rules and not try to cheat by using the loophole for foreigners. After all, they are only able to play due to the organizers's generosity and sponsorship.

Quote:
I used links last year but many of the links are obsolete now so I decide to upload the picture instead.

Ah, I saw those broken links and wondered what happened. Yes, posting the picture is better :tmbup:

But even though you live in the US (like I do), you seem to have found better sources of information. (Since you seem to be able to determine the order in which players finish, etc). So there must be better sources of information for a Chinese speaker :scratch: .

So in the end the two teams demoted last year were close to promotion, but just missed it, correct? So there is a chance some of these newly promoted teams will survive for a few seasons in the A league.

Will there be 3 promotions next year, too? Or is this a one-time type of deal, because of the AL expansion?

This also means the AL will get extended by two extra rounds, right?

From what I can see, the Chinese AL is the true "World Series" in world of Go. The strongest Go players in the world compete there. I hope they have good prizes for the winners.

Finally, thank you wolfking for all the time and effort to keep us informed. I read all your posts with great interest. We would be pretty much in the dark without you reporting on the event for us. I look forward to next year's competition.

I'll try to keep an eye on those kids. I hope they get promoted soon. Most of these really strong players are so very young. Europe has a long way to go to get there. I don't think 20 years will be enough.

And congratulations to the winners! :salute:

Post #40 Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:37 pm 
Lives in gote

silviu22 wrote:
you seem to have found better sources of information. (Since you seem to be able to determine the order in which players finish, etc). So there must be better sources of information for a Chinese speaker :scratch: .

I enlist the help of Google ;-) But you are right many info is hard to find for non native speakers so being able to read Chinese definitely helps!

As for the playing orders, the CWA actually keeps a scoring spreadsheet on their official website http://www.qipai.org.cn/web/index/weiqi. You just need to know where to look. But of course it's all Chinese. I do not know if you upload the worksheet to Google docs you would be able to use Google translation on it.

silviu22 wrote:
So in the end the two teams demoted last year were close to promotion, but just missed it, correct?
Yes!
silviu22 wrote:
So there is a chance some of these newly promoted teams will survive for a few seasons in the A league.
Not just that. In fact in 2009 Hangzhou Supor (their AL team, not the CL team in this tournament) won the AL championship as a new promotion team! They got demoted the very next year, then fought back into AL in 2012, only to be demoted again in 2013. But in 2015 they came back with a vengeance and won the championship as new promotion team once more! This time they stayed and won championship very next year. In 2017 they tied for first place in round score but was placed third due to lower board 1 scoring (and their board 1 was the combination of Park Junghwan/Lian Xiao, #1 and #4 on GoRings.org!). They are now regarded as a perennial title contender.

silviu22 wrote:
Will there be 3 promotions next year, too? Or is this a one-time type of deal, because of the AL expansion?
It's a one time deal. At least until next expansion :)

silviu22 wrote:
This also means the AL will get extended by two extra rounds, right?
Each team plays one home game and one away game, so 2 more teams means 4 more rounds.

silviu22 wrote:
From what I can see, the Chinese AL is the true "World Series" in world of Go. The strongest Go players in the world compete there. I hope they have good prizes for the winners.
Prize money is moderate compare to other sports/competitions (in 2015 it was half million RMB for the champion team which is a little less than $100,000), but players get paid for games played and usually there is winning bonus. Lee Sedol famously asked for a win or nothing clause: he gets paid $10,000 for each win and 0 for losses.

silviu22 wrote:
Finally, thank you wolfking for all the time and effort to keep us informed. I read all your posts with great interest. We would be pretty much in the dark without you reporting on the event for us. I look forward to next year's competition.
You are very welcome! It makes it all worthwhile when people show interest in my post!

silviu22 wrote:
I'll try to keep an eye on those kids. I hope they get promoted soon. Most of these really strong players are so very young. Europe has a long way to go to get there. I don't think 20 years will be enough.
Yes they are very strong and there are MORE where that come from! This is what a kids tournament looks like (it's taken at 2017 Bailing Cup National Children's Open Championship, photo credit Sina Sports):
Attachment:
2017Bailing_Cup_1.jpg
2017Bailing_Cup_1.jpg [ 78.54 KiB | Viewed 10184 times ]

This post by wolfking was liked by 2 people: ez4u, silviu22