It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: EGC 2018 Arrival - Local Bus?
Post #1 Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:00 am 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 786
I recall some announcement of bus transfer from PSA airport to the congress venue but have not seen anything specific so far. Will there be some?

Otherwise, what is the local city bus connection? Lines, stops, fare, where to buy tickets? If there is any information on the congress website, what is the relevant URL?

Post subject: Re: EGC 2018 Arrival - Local Bus?
Post #2 Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:33 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 13
Was liked: 9
KGS: Pangolino
I don't know if there is a planned shuttle service specifically for the egc, but the "regular" way would be to take the "People Mover" from the airport to the train station.

From there you can either take the Red LAM in direction Cisanello (the other direction will take you there all the same, but after a long tour of the countryside) getting off at the "Matteotti" stop, the first after crossing the bridge, or "Sangallo" just before the bridge if you want to reach the secondary play location at Bastione San Gallo.

I usually walk from the train station to Palazzo dei Congressi, it is a little more than 1 Km, not that much if you already took care of your luggage.

The Pisa Mover ticket is 2.70€ (yes, it is a lot, everyone hates the Pisa Mover)
The bus tickets are 1.20€
You can buy them at the airport info point, from automated machines, tobacco shops and some newsstands.

This is the website page, it is not very complete and there is some weird info, expecially for the parking section.

EDIT: wrong URL formatting, fixed.

Last edited by Pangolino on Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This post by Pangolino was liked by: Waylon

Post #3 Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:39 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 202
Was liked: 1087
GD Posts: 645
Universal go server handle: herminator
https://egc2018.it/en/how-to-get-there.html says: "Pisa's Airport is very close to the city, and there will be a bus service for the participants, arriving and leaving on selected dates." but doesn't seem to offer further info. Perhaps this is the announcement you recall?

Post #4 Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:06 pm 
Judan

Yes, I think this was the announcement I read.

Post #5 Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:48 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Pangolino wrote:
The Pisa Mover ticket is 2.70€ (yes, it is a lot, everyone hates the Pisa Mover)

I wish £2.70 was a lot for a bus ticket here!

When I went to Pisa on holiday some years ago I got from the airport to the city fine on my own as a foreign tourist who doesn't speak Italian. Lovely city, I recommend not playing Go all day but going out for a wander :) .

Post #6 Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:33 am 
Beginner

Uberdude wrote:
Pangolino wrote:

I wish £2.70 was a lot for a bus ticket here!

When I went to Pisa on holiday some years ago I got from the airport to the city fine on my own as a foreign tourist who doesn't speak Italian. Lovely city, I recommend not playing Go all day but going out for a wander :) .

It is a lot compared to a couple of years ago because before there was a bus line, airport-station-tower-center in a single run, and you needed just one ticket for everything. Now they built this automated transport system for the 1Km between airport and train station (think Simpson-level monorail) with very little traffic, they removed the bus line and forced everyone to take it at higher price and needing the hourly bus ticket anyway :D

Post #7 Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:23 pm 
Judan

Pangolino, thank you. So as I understand you, airport to main station is one bus ("Pisa Mover", €2.7), then main station to Matteotti is another bus (Red LAM, direction Cisanello, €1.2). Do the buses have numbers or are they called Pisa Mover and Red LAM at the bus stop signs and buses themselves?

Post #8 Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:13 am 
Beginner

Right!

Airport > Train Station:

Pisa Mover, website, there are signs everywhere in the airport, you can't miss it. 2.70€. It is an automated shuttle that leaves the airport every 7 minutes. It is called exactly like that on signs.

Train Station > Congress Palace

Red LAM, website, it is called "LAM Rossa" or "Red LAM" on the signs, L/R on the bus itself. It goes in two direction because in its path it pass the train station twice. You want to board the one that goes to "Cisanello". You can find it on the right, outside the train station. If you cross the street it is the wrong one.
It has a timetable but don't trust it. It just goes around in circles all day, you can find one every ~10 minutes. There are numbered busses too, but the LAM (high mobility lanes) have just the colors, red or green, for the main routes.
Get off at "Sangallo" stop for the secondary location, "Matteotti" stop for the main location of the egc (200 m from each others). The stops are on demand, there are stop buttons on board that you need to press when your stop is called by the speakers.
I checked the ticket cost, it is 1.50€ from July 1st, sorry, I didn't know about that because I have a yearly pass.

It is probably best if you buy both tickets at the airport.

If you are in a pinch, taxis are always an option, you will always find some either at the airport or ar the train station, and you can call them everywhere. (With 10-15€ you can go everywhere in the urban area).
This is the radiotaxi service, you can call, send an SMS, a whatsapp or telegram message with your current address to be picked up. The english version of the website gives a 404 error (because there are no tourists in Pisa, of course), but the sections, phone numbers and examples are quite clear.
Even if you don't plan on using them, saving their number may be a good idea.

This post by Pangolino was liked by: Waylon

Post #9 Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:58 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 314
I think the Go Congress website has its own forum which you can use for this kind of question