It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: nasdaq journal
Post #1 Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:33 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 9
This will be my journal for games I play with my comments.

Goal:
To reach at least 1dan or preferably 2dan within 2 or 3 years, mybe 5years or however long it takes.

Some background:
Learnt to play Go about 14years ago., reached about 1k-1d in a year or two.
After this I played for another year or two, but gradually stopped playing much. Every so often I would play for a few weeks and then stop.
Guess I didn't like the idea of studying to improve. When it stops being fun and turns into work then I gave up.

Nowadays I like doing tsumego or reviewing pro games more than playing.
But if I'm going to reach my goal then I have to play.
I find going through pro games on a board gives me the inspiration and motivation to actually play go.

Strengths / Weaknesses:
My calculation/reading has always been good for my level due to liking tsumego.
Direction of play and positional judgement is weak due to not playing much and never getting a good grasp of the theory.
I like to play unusual fuseki such as blackhole (5-7 rotate) or tengen as black and white and then approach corners instead of taking an empty corner. This is so that my opponent and I have a position that we have never seen before and fuseki/joseki knowledge is then rendered less important.
I will try and play conventionally though for a while for my serious games.

Currently studying material:
[*]Playing out games from 'Invincible', guessing the next move, memorising, reading out sequences. I feel I have a good general grasp of the games and intuition as to what's important but the deep reading and fighting is beyond me which is to be expected. May get the Honinbo Shuei collection to go through.
[*]Lee chang ho tsumego vol 1-6. Stopped after doing vol 4 previously with about 66% correct for vol4.
Carry this in my pocket for work breaks, travel time etc. Currently starting vol 2 again.
[*]800 rapid weiqi, good easy problems, not done one complete pass yet, upto 250 currently.
[*]Weiqi sihuo life and death drills vol 1, currently on first pass, page 25, harder problems but not impossible.
[*]No other theory books as I find it a waste of time for me as I dont have the greatest memory and find not much fun to do, and since I don't play often I don't get a chance to use the info.
[*]I've got a ton of tsumego books, four commented games books, master of haengma and fundamental principles of go by yilun yang.

Aim:
Play one game on IGS 1/10 time each weekend, and then review.
Review on a real board, go through the game once or twice, find a handfull of points where I could improve or don't know what to do next.
Focus on direction of play, and fundamentals such as shape, as opposed to reading mistakes.
Run the game through Leela at the key points to get some alternative moves.
Post here with the game and some comments to act as a motivation to continue.

First serious game in a while, it was comfortable, but overall I'm not totally happy with my game yet.

[*] Bottom right joseki is kind of old according to 'jungsuk in our time' and doesnt give black a chance to split bottom.
[*] G6 i like but leela suggests to play joseki D9. Note to self try and learn it. But I like G6 as it builds power in whites sphere.
[*] C7 is bad i think, aji keshi? This is kind of bad habits I'd like break.
[*] E8, should take stone instead, Less aji remaining.
[*] C13, leela says I can hane.
[*] R12, shape move is P15, or mybe N16.
[*] I feel I got lucky taking the right side. My opponent missed T18 kill, but after this it is game over.

Post subject: Re: nasdaq journal
Post #2 Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:04 am 
Dies in gote

My game this for week. A bit nervous about getting enough territory for my wall on the right side, but fortunate black didn't punish my mistakes more.

The game was reasonably balanced until the right side sequence. I got a big wall towards the centre which I was fortunate to convert into territory by a split attack on black.

I will try and find some games on kombilo with a similar right side pattern and see how white handles it.

The main points after looking through the game were:

[*] Black did not put up as strong a resistance as they could have.
[*] I played some slow non sente moves in upper left which black answered. C18
[*] C13 mybe should have been D13 or E16
[*] C8, possibly shape moves E13 or E12 better
[*] R6, better to split side with R10 leela suggests
[*] Q10 mybe better at Q11 or R11, and if black takes R8 then i can get corner R3?
[*] How to handle R10 move, is it a handicap strategy

There was quite a few endgame moves that took gote too many times, at that stage I just wanted to wrap the game up, instead of being optimal. I found it difficult to read/concentrate today, mybe I just need to play more and be more accustomed to the adrenaline feeling of being on edge when a fight breaks out.

Connecting S14 instead of Q15 first, thinking I could get an initiative when in fact it lost points by not defending.

Post #3 Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:22 pm 
Dies in gote

My game for the week, i got off to a good start but in the end it was a narrow loss.

I made some strategic errors making two walls facing the centre that my opponent had groups that had access to.

It seemed like my opponent always got to my good points just before me.
In the end my stone efficiency making centre territory was not a good strategy.
My endgame also lost me several points, so I think I could have won this if i had played a better endgame.

My focus was a bit whack for this game due to work pressures, but thats just an excuse and I'm happy I've kept up my one game a week. I'm happy to get this loss as I'll learn more from this game than the others from the past two weeks.

Running the game through leela's neural net its interesting that sometimes my moves are in the right direction but just a bit off. They're the ones i should try and remember.

I've commented the sgf if anyone would like to point out a strategic move or two that I could improve upon. It's much appreciated. :tmbup:

Last edited by nasdaq on Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post #4 Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:32 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
A couple of top of the head comments.

:b9: How about tenuki? Like a high enclosure in the top right corner, P-16 or O-16?

:b13: A hanging connection at B-02 threatens to make a large slide to F-02. The slide to E-02 allows White to make a solid wrap around wall.

:b23: Not good, as you discovered. Better attach at P-08, for instance.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #5 Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:09 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 43
Was liked: 139
Quote:
:b13: A hanging connection at B-02 threatens to make a large slide to F-02.

It does? And B3 doesn't? Well I'll be. That's something I would never have considered if this were one of my games. :oops:

Edit: I guess it has something to do with a possible atari at C2:

Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$c Not that White would play this way, of course.
$$ ---------------------------------------
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . X . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . , . . . . . , . . . . . , X . . |
$$ | . . X . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . , . . . . . , . . . . . , . . . |
$$ | . . O . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . O 2 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . X O O . O . . . , . . . . O , . . . |
$$ | . . X 4 7 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . 1 . 5 6 3 . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ ---------------------------------------[/go]

Post subject:
Post #6 Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:27 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Also:
[go]$$
$$ | . . . . . . . . . .
$$ | . . O . . . . . . .
$$ | . . . . . . . . . .
$$ | . . X . . . . . . .
$$ | . O 2 . . . . . . .
$$ | . X O O . O . . . ,
$$ | . . X . . . . . . .
$$ | . 1 . . 4 3 . . . .
$$ | . . . . . . . . . .
$$ ---------------------[/go]

Post #7 Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:25 am 
Dies in gote

Looking at waltheri pattern search i found these common continuations.

follow up for white
[go]$$
$$ | . . . . . . . . . .
$$ | . . O . . . . . . .
$$ | . . . . . . . . . .
$$ | . . X . . . . . . .
$$ | . O 4 . . . . . . .
$$ | 2 X O O . O . . . ,
$$ | . 3 X . . . 8 . . .
$$ | . 1 . . 7 5 6 . . .
$$ | . . . . . . . . . .

follow up for black
[go]$$
$$ | . . . . . . . . . .
$$ | . . O . . . . . . .
$$ | . . . . . . . . . .
$$ | . . X . . . . . . .
$$ | . O 4 . . . . . . .
$$ | 2 X O O . O . . . ,
$$ | . 3 X . . 7 . . . .
$$ | . 1 . . . 5 . . . .
$$ | . . . . . . . . . .

Bill Spight wrote:
A couple of top of the head comments.

:b23: Not good, as you discovered. Better attach at P-08, for instance.

Thats a good point, I will investigate further.
http://senseis.xmp.net/?AnswerTheCappin ... nightsMove
http://senseis.xmp.net/?CappingPlayContactResponse

Post #8 Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:00 am 
Dies in gote

No game to review this week. My bad, I had a few games on Tygem, first time in a couple of years. My opponents were 1dan but they were so aggressive and didn't read very well so big kills happened and so not much to review.

I had notched up over 600 games there when I was playing lots online several years back, got to 2dan. i think playing on Tygem really improved my fighting skills and reading. I had a lot of fun I remember with the Korean style which was new to me.

I especially remember playing about 5 games with someone back to back and got absolutely hammered but somehow managed a close win I think in the last game. I think they were way stronger and it was a kind of teaching game though. Good memories.

Should I continue playing on IGS where I get close games that often go to endgame and focus on shape and fundamentals, these can be a bit boring though.
Or should I play for the fun exciting fighting games on Tygem that dont give such good games to review as they're often a bit chaotic.

My last game on IGS was a narrow loss and there was SO many points I learnt from.

I think I should just have fun, as often routine is the enemy and I feel personally that sticking to a plan for more than a few weeks more of a chore.

I've been doing quite a bit of tsumego though.
Lee Chang Ho tsumego vol 1 and 2 done, very little errors.
Lee Chang Ho tsumego vol 3, half way through, doing a bit better than last time.
Life and death drills vol 1, upto page 35, some really nice tesuji problems.
Rapid 800 weiqi, seems so easy, upto 385.

Ditched the Invincible book, got up to game 9. Found myself just reading the commentary instead of reading things out for myself. :(

Studying some Choi Cheolhan games instead from printed games on the goban, love the style, big trades, all out plays, no fear. Forcing me to try reading out what the heck is going on. Finding my reading skills getting a little sharper/faster, mybe it takes a few months though to see improvement, so gradual.

Also trying to focus on not just where are big points for territory but also important points for power/influence. Sometimes they're moves seem slow and i would play faster elsewhere. I think this is my main flaw though in leaving important unsettled positions when first to play in an area is actually important for eye space/power etc.

Hope to get a game from Tygem this weekend that I can actually review, if not it will be fun anyway.

Post #9 Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:41 pm 
Dies in gote

hi,

I played a game on tygem tonight, my one weekly game.

It was fairly comfortable but i feel i made it more complex than it needed to be.

I definitely prefer this more cut throat style of play, compared to my few games on IGS. Trying to play good shape, solid moves help with running fights and crazy cuts.

Reviewed this on my goban and saw some move alternatives which I've put in the sgf, but I'm not sure what choices are best regarding positional judgement.

Any pointers would be appreciated. i was black, (1d vs 1d tygem)

Post #10 Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:00 am 
Dies in gote

I've been reading some books lately. Some of which I've read or tried to read before when at around 5kyu. I'm now at 1kyu.

Nei Weiping - art of positional judgement:
Finally got round to trying to finish this book. I really wanted to like this book. Quite a bit of background information about Nei Weiping growing up and getting stronger as a go player, which i didn't mind and was an interesting story.
There was some aha moments when talking about using thickness and choice of moves.
He favoured making more thickness/leaning attack from the thickness already gained, instead of consolidating territory.
Some example games I skim read as I just didn't see the application of the book title, they were just a typical game commentary.
A little bit of a let down, but still worth a read.

Otake Hideo - Opening theory made easy:
I must have read this 4 times now, its such an easy read.
i didn't get any new insights upon this re-read, guess my level is too past it now, It might help drill home the fundamentals for me.
Still an excellent book for someone in ddk/sdk.

Toshiro Kageyama - Lessons in the Fundamentals of Go:
Reread now mybe 3 times.
A total mix of basic knowledge and advanced way of looking at the game, such as removing aji - 'gripping stones tightly'.
I didn't get much from re-reading it this time. A very good book if you don't know this knowledge, drives home the fundamentals and how to approach the game.
Lots of little tricks/loose ends that can improve your game a few stones.

Ishida Yoshio - All About Thickness:
Probably 3rd time read.
I really like the style of the book, I can read it in a couple of hours.
A bit of overlap with opening theory made easy.
I probably still make a few mistakes highlighted in this book, an probably still will. I'd like to create and use thickness in my games more. A bit below my level now, but still a great book for fundamentals.

Takeo Kajiwara - The Direction Of Play:
Re-read for the second time mybe.
I like this book but find when I try to apply it in my games I feel like a weaker player. i think other people have the same problem, trying to play like the author doesn't work for them. Guess this is very high level knowledge, and great it is made in an accessible way. Basically it is about making use/efficiency of the whole board stones. At the same time make opponents stones inefficient. one line or space different in stone position has dramatic effect on game flow, which is why it is hard to get much out of the book at my level (1kyu).
Glad I read it again, i really want to use this more in my games, just that its so hard, requires lot of tactical reading and whole board strategy.
Oh well at least i tried.

Cho Chikun - Positional judgement:
Read this quite early on when I started playing go. I like it a lot, the conversational style is great. The examples are first class, a good range of positions and varied teaching methods. Still good for my level (1kyu). It really drills home the need to count the territory before planning strategy.
I'd like to read this book again at some point, up near the top of my best go books.

Zhou - Master-Play-The-Style-of-Go-Seigen:
Read for the first time. Only went through the first game. Interesting book and conversational style. What I got from this book is that Go Seigen show no mercy and is exciting/dynamic style. Didn't learn much but is a fun read if your serious about go.

Currently reading: Ishida Akira - attack and defense.
Reading at 5kyu and re-reading at 1kyu.
This is an amazing book. I kept this to read last on my pile as I wanted to look forward to it. So dense with knowledge/strategy. Only upto page 58 at the moment but so far it must be in my top 3 favourite go books.

After I finish attack and defense I'll probably try to finish Yilun Yang - Fundamentals. I haven't made it through that book yet. Last time I tried, it seems the material is not that advanced a level mybe 5ku-1kyu, but It totally goes against my way of thinking about the game, thats why it was so hard. It really kicks my judgement of the fundamentals. So I guess I should try to reread it several times.

I'd really like to get a copy of 'Beyond forcing moves' as I've heard good things about it.
And 'Counting liberties and winning capturing races' as thats what excites me about go, these close tactical encounters and close fighting.

both seem to be out of print, the 'liberties' book is as an ebook but i'd prefer a dead tree format.

Once i do that hopefully I will have satiated my appetite for knowledge for a while and can get back to looking at kifu and tsumego.

I've been playing quite a few games lately which is unusual for me. it's been on kgs. I feel that I've reached the point that my game is actually getting worse for it. Funny how the perception of one's abilities may not reflect the truth.

Sometime I feel my play is powerfull and I'm able to control the game flow and eventually it overcomes my opponent. usually with good shape/fighting/ and reading skills.

But on kgs i've been focussing on direction of play and positional judgement, which has served me quite well according to results, but my personal opinion of my play feels weak.

So I'm going to stop for a while and try to regain the sense of power/reading skill in my game. Mybe have some games on Tygem in the next while after.

Post #11 Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:24 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
What is structural and what is incidental to your game, hard to tell. A few highlights:

31 - a big move but not urgent. The balance of territory is already tilted in your favor, so better reinforce the weaker group in the centre.
37 - you deny White a corner while you are already ahead on points and have a weak group; this is very greedy
49 & 57 - more cuts in a fight where your group is the weakest. You bully the opponent into believing his group is weak. Stronger opponents will resist and punish you.
81 - still you sometimes defend properly
95 - you see opportunities which your opponent doesn't, in this case a crane's nest tesuji
135 - again, you see opportunities ...
145 - but they can easily end up in wishful thinking
193 - again you see this major opportunity of a game deciding ko and grab it

Overall it is clear that at your level you seem to be more adventurous than your opponent and see tesujis, kos and large scale attacks better. This has a flipside: you seem to be accustomed to your opponent following you around. You decide the game flow, by making aggressive cuts and what seems to be sente, even if you're weaker or when the move is gote.

You don't need to become passive - your strength is to take the initiative. But you need to be suspicious of those moments when your greed and lust overtake your positional judgment and reading.

Detailed review:

BTW, after 20 odd years of playing Go, Attack and Defence is still my favourite go book.

This post by Knotwilg was liked by: dfan

Post #12 Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:03 am 
Dies in gote

First game in several weeks, i've actually forgotten since when, can it really be 3 weeks? mybe its 4... (I should look at my last post here ....)

I'm black, 1k? vs 1k+ igs.
Pretty comfortable, a few unneccesary/slack moves from me. but happy with my play, just keep it solid and good shape and patiently attack from afar.

I've been reading books lately and not doing tsumego or playing through kifu.
I've come to the point where all i want to do is get back to doing tsumego and play once in a while. Not sure what I've gained from the books at all.

Although I got 'breakthrough to shodan' which i'm a 1/3 of the way through.
I think i tried to read it when i was 5k+ but i couldn't get into it. Now its showing me some seriously good ways to play and i like the moves, they are powerfull and resonate across the whole board, and the bits about direction of play actually click with me unlike the other book of the same name.

I'm going to start playing only high Chinese because I like playing go best when i play a influence / thick centre game where i can dictate the flow/direction.

I've always had an aversion for the Chinese opening, mybe because its so popular and i've had bad experiences playing against it. But I'd like to stick to one opening from now on just so when i play real life tournament games i can quickly get past the opening and into some fighting, which suits the way i like to play of relying on reading ability and fighting. For white I'll just do 2 4x4 points, and play some simple joseki.

So the PLAN is to finish 'breakthrough to shodan', choose a tsumego book, probably 'maeda vol1-3' and get cracking, plus one game a week. i'm going to try not review too much, just one or two moves, pick up my slack moves.

I'm tempted to open a 2 or 3dan account on igs and work my way down the ranks but not sure yet, seems like a really good idea, but mybe i'm too honest and dont feel right to proclaim an inflated rank.

I've not commented the game as I dont think it was worth going over too much.
EDIT: Its always worth going over, just that I can't easily see how to improve. I guess just think of alternate moves and explore, even if my original moves still seem best.

Post #13 Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:16 am 
Dies in gote

'First game in several weeks' , that should have been the journal main title :)

Decided quite a few things:

go used to be fun, its turned into study and self torture for too many years.

looking over pro games is fine for fun but I dont put in a lot of effort, im lazy and so i get out what i put in, not much motivation, its not my game so its not my big dragon about to die so... still its fun but im not mid-high dan so a lot of its over my reading skill, doh, i hear so much conflicting advice, some say you get the flow/shape which i do, and some joseki/fuseki patterns which i dont remember. i guess its time to stop listening to advice and follow what works for me. so stick to 'invincible' or similar book if i really want to replay a game, but i dont think its too much fun anymore

i really like tsumego problems, i've collected quite a few books, i think i like collecting problem books as much as i like doing them. I've come to a point where I've got all i need forever.

its my attitude, rank obsessed thats why i got stuck at 1kyu. the same with tsumego problems, i like to win them, get them right, it doesnt matter if i get them wrong, its the doing/reading that helps. including being thorough about whites best replies, lazy effort again.

i like to sandbag, play a stone weaker so i can be lazy and get a win, but still a fun game to be had, bullying my opponent and squirm. why not, might as well have some fun, thats the whole point, at least i'm playing a game.

stop switching servers, used to play on them all a little bit but seriously whats the point, its not like im 6dan and need to play on tygem to get good opponents.

i think it all boils down to attitude/effort and have fun playing carefree and wild, stop analysing my game too much at the end, no using kombilo or leela, i should use my own brain to learn and stop being lazy. i know if im feeling good i will play and when im down then i wont play because of brain fog and not going to play my best.

so basically, go is my mental exercise of choice, also need to work on physical exercise and be a happy go player, not hours and hours in front of a computer, thats not good. enjoy my tsumego, enjoy playing, enjoy life.

here's the sgf today, playing at 2k, a little bit sandbagging just for fun, i was white. large trades at the end because why not and looked about even.

rant over for a few weeks....

Post #14 Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:38 am 
Dies in gote

Hi,

I've been feeling like playing these last few days. Must be the spring/summer sunshine here in the UK, starting to wake some life up.

Lost as white to a 3k IGS by 4.5, reverse komi was 5.5
Then played some 1k IGS and won all three.
The first two were fairly comfortable.

The last one playing as black I've posted here.

It was a really scrappy game.
I made a rare misclick at one point and requested an undo but it was declined.
Try and guess which move :roll: Clue given in first hide, answer in second hide
It was around move 50 to 70. A slow move but not totally bad

f6

I won by 0.5 points but I really dont know how I won, I was outplayed from the start.

But somehow went for a moyo which kind of worked but then things went really messy.

Not sure what I can take from the game, perhaps:
[*] dont leave crucial cut points, just to be faster
[*] pay attention to shape, mine and opponents
[*] read read read
[*] And from a previous game, i noticed a bad habit rearing its ugly head again, i played inside a group to take the vital point, forcing the group to escape and get the centre. Instead I should let it live and surround it. I thought I had learnt this but...

I must be pleased winning a few against 1k IGS, but the last game showed me not to get complacent.

I think my reasonably good endgame just got the win, apart from connecting the ko at end and not taking bottom right corner last 2 points.

wow, just realised E19 and F15 were unnecessary, just play c19 which is needed. wow, mybe I need to get out into that sunshine a bit more... :D

Post #15 Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:51 am 
Dies in gote

Played a game today, I played black and was going to play the high chinese when white approached the 3-4 stone.

So I got a chance to play the 2 space high pincer.

Whites next move was a surprise, not sure if its a trick move, its not in kogos.

Thought I got a reasonable result though. Big corner and sente to take empty corner.

I think I was too generous on the left side, but after the invasion/reduction and jump out I think it was still OK for black.

I felt that an attack on the white stones at top was best to offer support to my reduction on the bottom. But then it turned into a game of killing whites big dragon.

There were a few moves during the capturing race that I could have played better, such as not letting my opponent throw in first, and I really shouldn't have done a tenuki at one point.

My opponent resigned but I cant help wondering if they played the ko and taken the bottom right corner the game would have been close.

[go]$$Bc Has anyone encountered this trick move?
$$ | . . . , . . . . . , . . . . . 1 . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5 6 . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4 . . . |
$$ | . . . 2 . . . . . , . . . . . , . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3 . . . |

[go]$$W Looks playable for both
$$ | . . . 8 . . . . . , . . . . . X . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5 3 . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . X O 2 . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . O O X . . |
$$ | . . 0 . . . . . . . . . . . 1 X X . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . 9 . . O 4 . . |
$$ | . . . O . . . . . , . . . 6 . , . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . 7 . . . X . . . |

[go]$$B Not satisified with black here
$$ | . . . X . . . . . , . . . . . X . . . |
$$ | . . 3 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . 2 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . , 8 . . . . , . . . . . , . . . |
$$ | . . 4 . . . . . . . . . . . . O O . . |
$$ | . . . 1 5 . 9 . . . . . . . . X O X . |
$$ | . 6 7 X O . . 0 . . . . . . O O X . . |
$$ | . . X O O . . . . . . . . . O X X . . |
$$ | . X . . . . . . . . . . O . . O X . . |
$$ | . . X O . . . . . , . . . X . , . . . |
$$ | . X O O . . . . . . . O . . . X . . . |

Perhaps instead of 3, I should have played one space above white 4, to settle my group. It just seemed a bit overconcentrated. Thoughts?

Post #16 Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:29 am 
Dies in gote

Update time:

Going to try just playing one game a day, instead of none or lots...
harder said than done.
today about 5 days in and i've played 3 games today, oh well, go is just too fun sometimes and if I have a day off on holiday then why not.

After 3 games though and I'm done. the last one was a really fun one.
the first one was very tough, mybe it put me in a determined mood to try and get a good win.... or mybe on tilt :)

Here is the first game, comments very welcome but there really in not much to comment on, my opponent played early 3x3 invasions and then proceeded to make my stones look very weak, and exploited my weak group management and reading skills, a bit of thrashing about and the game was over very quick.

They fealt very strong, they were a Chinese player 1D tygem, i usually play the Korean 1D players who are weaker.

I'm white in both games.

I wonder if P8 was really bad, and G7 could have been something else?

The last game I played was really fun, lots of weak groups all heading to the centre and something is going to go bust!
Decided to go for the big kill and got it. though I reckon I was ahead by about komi so could have slugged it out as my position was ok ish.

Post #17 Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:45 am 
Dies in gote

Well I was playing quite a lot with Leela Zero the first half of the year. Taking even games on fairly low playouts using a 10block Master version from pangafu.

I do enjoy playing on a real board and being able to take as much time as I want, no time pressure or having to play at a good tempo for the sake of my opponent.

I really do feel it has improved my opening and feel for positional judgement. Also its probably ironed out a few tactical fundamentals, by reviewing with it afterwards.

I've ranked up on tygem to 3dan, verging on 4dan with another win or two. I was stuck on 2dan years ago. I reckon its down to an improved opening / mid game and then playing safe for a sure win.

I played in a tournament a couple of months ago and did quite well, 4 out of 6, and beat a dan player who I've lost to mybe 4 times previous. :razz:

Very happy about that, and had a very close game with the tournament winner.

So with that over with I've been slacking off the last couple of months, not playing much at all. Some not very serious games online, and my form is not so great, my stones feel a bit weak in general.
I'm not so motivated at the moment. Don't really feel inclined to attend any more tournaments for a while, and kind of gone off playing against Leela Zero.

I think what I'm missing is other aspects of the game, such as being creative and having good reading skills
These used to be my strong points and what I liked about playing Go.

I was playing out a few 1970's pro games from Go World, something I've not done in a while, and it was great! Just to think about positions and guessing where to play, whats the strategies at play, when to tenuki, etc.

It probably is not helping me get stronger quickly, but it was fun and I'm kind of at the stage in my go playing (12years) that its no longer so important.

So I've decided I'd like to:

1. Start reading some old go world back issues, study the pro games (move by move, endgames are a bit boring but is my main weakness), actually read/try the puzzles, read the extra material in go world too.

2.Try and get back into doing hard for my level tsumego, never did make it through the gokyo shumyo. But I reckon I need to back up my crazy strategies with solid deep reading. I like the feeling of out reading my opponent. ego?

3. Continue to play a bit online when I feel like it, (studying pro games on a board usually gets me fired up to try new stuff in my games) but when I do play, be creative, try things, I used to like playing tengen and 5-4's. etc

Dont want be no AI clone, no sir.

Here's the first game in a long while where I just said to myself, play some 5-4's, make that influence linger over the board like a bad smell, don't go all out for a huge never secure moyo but let my opponent sweat over what they want to do about it and be flexible.

It was a blast :razz: