All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: experimental stream at 2PM UK time today
Post #1 Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:37 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 196
Was liked: 342
IGS: Reisei 1d
Online playing schedule: When I can
I'll do a stream of me playing a bit of go and chess at 2PM today. You can catch it on twitch.tv: my channel name is "GoTamsin". I won't be uploading the footage to YT, so it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity :lol:

Expect it to be clunky and rough and ready. A bit like my go.

This post by Tami was liked by 2 people: BlindGroup, Calvin Clark

Post subject: Re: experimental stream at 2PM UK time today
Post #2 Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:07 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 295
Was liked: 64
IGS: 4k
Universal go server handle: BlindGroup
Tami wrote:
I'll do a stream of me playing a bit of go and chess at 2PM today. You can catch it on twitch.tv: my channel name is "GoTamsin". I won't be uploading the footage to YT, so it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity :lol:

Expect it to be clunky and rough and ready. A bit like my go.

Might be helpful to specify the time zone.

Post #3 Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:04 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 886
Was liked: 527
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
The title says "2PM UK time", which is an hour ago as I write this.

Post #4 Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:25 am 
Lives in gote

dfan wrote:
The title says "2PM UK time", which is an hour ago as I write this.

LOL. I need to read more carefully! Sorry....

Post #5 Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:28 am 
Lives in gote

All done and dusted!

It was a fun experience for me. I played four games of chess on chess.com and one game of go on KGS.

It is very hard to keep up a monologue while playing a game against equally strong opponents. Maybe there is some justification for "sandbagging" a little - one is inevitably weaker while playing for the camera.

I even had two viewers, too. Not bad for having given 25 minutes notice on a Wednesday arvo at the fag end of the Summer holidays. So, there will be some more streaming to come.

Strategic thinking in chess carried on as normal, but I found myself overlooking en prise pieces and trivial tactics that I don't when not attempting to explain as I play. I played four oppos in the 1900s, and lost the first three, and regained some pride with the fourth against an oppo hovering just under 2000.

The go game saw me attempting to apply AI ideas to my play in my uniquely wayward fashion. I made a very large strategic misjudgement and had to scrabble around to make life, got frogmarched around the board for most of the endgame and won the game by killing a large group with my last roll of the dice. Exciting stuff! No idea how good my oppo actually was: a Japanese who plays a lot of games. It could be the same person every time or it could be an old PC sitting in the corner of the Go Salon.

Streaming is harder than it looks - I'll say that much. Kudos to those who can play mid-dan or higher while streaming. But it is a very enjoyable way to share my hobbies with new friends. There will be more, and I will tell you about it here.

This post by Tami was liked by: Bill Spight

Post #6 Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:18 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 186
Was liked: 191
Yeah, that was me commenting. Sorry for the lack of quality in my chat. I was trying to follow while getting my daughter ready while watching on an iPad, but I try to encourage people who are giving back to the Go community.

The stream quality was good and I'm sure you'll adapt and find time control(s)/opponents that work for this. Haylee was incognito for a while, essentially sandbagging, while she was getting used to talking while playing. And she's a pro, so...

I enjoyed your humor and how you snuck up on your opponent to win the go game. :tmbup:

Post #7 Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:26 am 
Lives in gote

Congrats on the effort! I tried to catch it, but it's during the workday here. So, I wasn't free until just after you finished. Hate it when life gets in the way of go...

You noted that it was hard to play in talk. I recently watched a dwyrin video in which he claimed that streaming costs him about a stone. So, given how much practice he has, even he can't play at his "normal" level when streaming.

Post #8 Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:10 pm 
Lives in gote

Tami wrote:
Strategic thinking in chess carried on as normal, but I found myself overlooking en prise pieces and trivial tactics that I don't when not attempting to explain as I play. I played four oppos in the 1900s, and lost the first three, and regained some pride with the fourth against an oppo hovering just under 2000.

One thing I'll say is that because I've played a lot of chess and played over a lot of games, in many positions I just know what kind of plays will work or not. It's why it's hard to articulate.

I do recall talking about the "aji" of a seemingly bad bishop. I'm surprised more chess players haven't picked up on go vocabulary to describe some phenomena that are well known, but not well described. For example, the fact that bad bishops can become awesome if they get the right side of the pawn chain or if you succeed in breaking the pawn chain somehow. There's quite a lot of good stuff about "bad bishops" in John Watson's Secrets of Modern Chess Strategy, by the way.

Another example of aji in chess: you know that moving a pawn in front of your King can take away the possibility of a back-rank mate, but it can also weaken your defences. Everything you do, in fact, has all kinds of potential - and I like the notion of calling it "aji". I only know the rules of shogi, but I do know some concepts are shared with go. I believe shape is used by the shogi crowd, and I know for sure some configurations of pieces make "good shape" in chess and others "bad shape".

And taking things the over way: could it be helpful to apply the concept of "priyomes" to go?

Anyway, I probably ought to spend more time going over pro games (of go). Playing over GM games definitely helps with chess, so I see no reason why I can't acquire difficult-to-verbalise knowhow from go games as well.

This is a slightly rambling post, I know, but it's interesting when chess and go thinking cross-pollinate.

Post #9 Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:45 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
FWIW, I think that go could benefit by adopting the term, Zwischenzug, from chess. There do seem to be a lot of them, but they often go unremarked.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #10 Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:52 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 886
Was liked: 527
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
Tami wrote:
This is a slightly rambling post, I know, but it's interesting when chess and go thinking cross-pollinate.

Chess is my main game, and when I started playing go more seriously I definitely found concepts that I could fruitfully bring back to chess. Obviously tempi are even more important in go than in chess (there's a proverb in chess that three tempi are worth a pawn, but giving your opponent even a single free move in go is a disaster). I felt that the concepts of good shape and playing lightly (which to me largely mean playing in a flexible way) were useful as well. In chess it's easy to feel a compulsion to do something all the time, but often it's best to just put your pieces on good squares and put yourself in a position where you're likely to be able to handle whatever comes next better than your opponent.

I agree with Bill that the zwischenzug is a useful concept in both games.