It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 1D in 11 months
Post #21 Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:16 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 491
Re: difficulty of problem books, I usually find that the difficulty of problems throughout a book can be quite diverse. If a book has 1/3 obvious or easy, 1/3 medium and 1/3 hard problems, then I think the book is roughly at my level.

Obvious = I immediately see the good answer, and I only need a few seconds to check.
Easy = I can solve in roughly 30 seconds, with very few mistakes.
Medium = I need 1-3 minutes, and yet make occasional misreads
Hard = I have no intuition, so either I can't find the solution or I need several minutes of careful reading.

For such a book, my success rate is about 50% the first time (so this corresponds to Bill's criterion), 75% the second time if I review it just after (and 90% the third time if there is a third time). However, after a few months I tend to forget, so my success rate can be back to 70% or less... except if I have learned useful material from other books. For instance, some middle game problems in "Graded go problems for beginners 3" became much clearer after I had worked on "Tesuji" by Davis.

This post by jlt was liked by: Stemu

Post #22 Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:18 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Kirby wrote:
Hi Bill,
I've heard you mention this "half right" idea more than once, but I forgot how much time this was applicable to. Do you mean getting half right by spending a couple of minutes on the problem? More?

I guess you should spend similar time to what you'd spend in a game?

I don't know what's best. Everybody is different. Whatever feels right to someone is probably a good pace for them. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: Stemu

Post #23 Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:33 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 0
Bill Spight wrote:
Stemu wrote:
I've been skimming through a lot of go books but realized pretty quickly almost everything was a little too hard. Currently I'm reading Elementary go series vol 1 and Graded go problems for beginners vol 1. (It's a bit sad to realize how much trouble I've got with the basics but at least I figured it out and I'm fixing it now!)

Too hard? For problems you should be getting only half of them right. Otherwise, they are too easy. (OC, when you review you should do better. :))

Yeah mostly I was trying to read through theory books where I didn't really understand a word of what the author was talking about. Not fun and not useful at all. So I decided to go to the absolute basics. Which was a great decision because even Graded go problems for beginners vol 1 took me hours and gave me a headache :D

jlt wrote:
Re: difficulty of problem books, I usually find that the difficulty of problems throughout a book can be quite diverse. If a book has 1/3 obvious or easy, 1/3 medium and 1/3 hard problems, then I think the book is roughly at my level.

Obvious = I immediately see the good answer, and I only need a few seconds to check.
Easy = I can solve in roughly 30 seconds, with very few mistakes.
Medium = I need 1-3 minutes, and yet make occasional misreads
Hard = I have no intuition, so either I can't find the solution or I need several minutes of careful reading.

For such a book, my success rate is about 50% the first time (so this corresponds to Bill's criterion), 75% the second time if I review it just after (and 90% the third time if there is a third time). However, after a few months I tend to forget, so my success rate can be back to 70% or less... except if I have learned useful material from other books. For instance, some middle game problems in "Graded go problems for beginners 3" became much clearer after I had worked on "Tesuji" by Davis.

Ah this makes sense! I guess I had a it a bit too easy but a gentle start never hurt anyone :D (Also going to keep tesuji in mind when I get to vol 3!)

Post #24 Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:50 am 
Beginner

Knotwilg wrote:
A few exercises for your posted game:

88 - Black can kill
87 - White can live
105 - do better and save the game

Looked these trough. What move would you suggest at 105 tho I'm lost :-?

Post #25 Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:21 am 
Beginner

I finally beat a 10k in even game! Ahhhhhh I'm so happy! I've been struggling against 10ks ever since I started this journal!

Last edited by Stemu on Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post #26 Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:45 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 491
Is your E2 group alive after :w56: ?

This post by jlt was liked by: Stemu

Post subject:
Post #27 Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:33 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Hi Stemu,

Re: jlt's note:
Study what happens if :black: 139 H1 hane.

This post by EdLee was liked by: Stemu

Post #28 Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:45 pm 
Beginner

EdLee wrote:
Hi Stemu,

Re: jlt's note:
Study what happens if :black: 139 H1 hane.

jlt wrote:
Is your E2 group alive after :w56: ?

Yeah I actually noticed that later in the actual game. I would have lost so badly if my opponent had realized. Actually you could probably summarise the whole game like that.

Yeah, taking a moment to look at my groups to see if I'm strong enough is something i've been trying to work on :oops: