All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TImeouts in DGS league games
Post #1 Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:22 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 8
Was liked: 23
GD Posts: 163
KGS: GoCat
Well, I've finished all my league games on DGS, and unfortunately, in four games my opponents timed out. It's too bad, not a great way to win. (I think I would have won three of them anyway, but a couple were pretty close.)

So I was thinking about the time settings. We are playing Canadian, 40 days each, plus 1 day/10 stones byo-yomi. I actually feel this is pretty generous. If we say a game will be 320 moves, that's 2 moves per player per day. That doesn't seem unreasonable for a turn-based game, even across many time zones.

But then you have people like me, who play pretty rapidly in turn-based games. Since I pretty much live and breath with my computer (sad confession, I know), I have a very wide range of hours in which I can make a move, and I generally respond to my opponent's move very quickly. But, does doing that put unfair pressure on my opponent? Because of this, my opponent must complete his half of the game in about 40 days, or a rate of 4 moves per day, instead of 2. (Really, it was more than 40 but less than 50 days, total -- when the timeouts occurred, I still had more than 30 days left on my clock.)

Am I being unfair by playing so briskly?

Post subject: Re: TImeouts in DGS league games
Post #2 Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:27 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
GoCat wrote:
Well, I've finished all my league games on DGS, and unfortunately, in four games my opponents timed out. It's too bad, not a great way to win. (I think I would have won three of them anyway, but a couple were pretty close.)

So I was thinking about the time settings. We are playing Canadian, 40 days each, plus 1 day/10 stones byo-yomi. I actually feel this is pretty generous. If we say a game will be 320 moves, that's 2 moves per player per day. That doesn't seem unreasonable for a turn-based game, even across many time zones.

But then you have people like me, who play pretty rapidly in turn-based games. Since I pretty much live and breath with my computer (sad confession, I know), I have a very wide range of hours in which I can make a move, and I generally respond to my opponent's move very quickly. But, does doing that put unfair pressure on my opponent? Because of this, my opponent must complete his half of the game in about 40 days, or a rate of 4 moves per day, instead of 2. (Really, it was more than 40 but less than 50 days, total -- when the timeouts occurred, I still had more than 30 days left on my clock.)

No, I don't think so. DGS has a night-time system which ignores 8 hours in each day for each player, and everyone knows the timing rules for each game. I have had the same experience (fortunately, I was winning the games that timed out anyway) and that's just life I guess!

Post #3 Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:41 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
Topazg: Hm. I am not sure about the 573433 game.

I personally think the summer period is a tough one. It might be hard to make all the moves during vacations, when you are abroad and are afraid of the roaming data costs for the internet. :(

Post #4 Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:17 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
topazg wrote:
No, I don't think so. DGS has a night-time system which ignores 8 hours in each day for each player, and everyone knows the timing rules for each game. I have had the same experience (fortunately, I was winning the games that timed out anyway) and that's just life I guess!

Ok, I'll be checking the DGS FAQ to figure out the details of what everyone knows. Even though you were intending to enlighten everyone, thanks!

Post #5 Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:22 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 11
Was liked: 51
GD Posts: 300
KGS: breakfast
You can just add them some extra time!
By the way, we almost finished all games in time, even after adding 5-10 days to few inseis

GoCat wrote: