Post #1 Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:47 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 72
Was liked: 479
KGS: macelee
Attachment:
Screenshot from 2019-01-24 21-13-05.png
Screenshot from 2019-01-24 21-13-05.png [ 52.89 KiB | Viewed 4443 times ]

The position above is taken from 9-year-old Nakamura Sumire's game against Choi Jeong. I read about some very interesting comments from various onlines sources.

Commenting on :bs: , Shiraishi Yuichi 7-dan of Japan said something like (I translate roughly): "it's not easy for the child to play such a move, attacking white while defending her own weakness. Satisfying both requirements, this is professional thinking..."

It was reported (I could not confirm the source though) that Yoda Norimoto also spoke highly of this move.

On the other hand, commenting at Yikeweiqi, Chinese professional Yang Dong 4-dan said (also my translation): B55 (R9) is a clueless move. At this moment, either crawling at S11 or enclosing at P10 are more viable solutions. For a girl under 10, B55 is probably not considered a serious error. However, if measuring using professional standard, this move is completely inadequate.

AI appears to support the Chinese view (see viewtopic.php?p=240866#p240866 showing a 10% drop of winning rate for black).

This post by macelee was liked by: dsatkas

Post subject: Re: Japanese view vs. Chinese view
Post #2 Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:57 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
My English view was it was a bad move, it seems pretty trivial to note that q8 ends up misplaced. If you want to play something defensive and thought p10 was too thin then p9 would be my next idea. Also I thought q14 at r15 would be better: with the game line black's group isn't locally alive whilst white got more eyespace.

Post #3 Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:30 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
I have noticed recently that some dual purpose moves do not meet the bots' approval. Sometimes they don't achieve either purpose very well.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #4 Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:03 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 6
Commenting on :bs: , Shiraishi Yuichi 7-dan of Japan said something like (I translate roughly): "it's not easy for the child to play such a move, attacking white while defending her own weakness. Satisfying both requirements, this is professional thinking..."

It was reported (I could not confirm the source though) that Yoda Norimoto also spoke highly of this move.

===>This could be something in generating move that Japanese pros are different from Chinese or Korean pros. I mean that Japanese pros put more stress on good shape than on practical moves, thus less flexible in choosing moves, which some says one of reasons that they have relatively lower winning rates than Chinese and Korean competititaters

Post #5 Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:39 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 416
Was liked: 198
I wonder if the Japanese commentators praised the actual value of that move (as in "one of the best choices"), or rather the spirit of that move ("pro thinking") even if it was not the best choice.

This post by sorin was liked by: dfan