It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reporting a player who refuses to count
Post #1 Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:52 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 3
GD Posts: 32
Is there a way to report a player who refuses to count, even though the games is completely over? I was winning by a huge margin. No problem to play the game until the endgame, that's his right, but even after the game was over he kept on playing inside his own territory and refusing to count. Then, my client started crashing and I got disconnected 3 times and lost the game. I don't know why that started happening. Does anyone know if there is a way to force the opponent to crash like that? Every time it crashed I connected again and re-entered the room, just to crash again. The third time it happened, by Tygem rules, I forfeited the game. The player's nickname is tks1340. Was he doing that to me? How can I report hime? Help please.

Post subject: Re: Reporting a player who refuses to count
Post #2 Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:44 am 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
Report the player
Never play him again
Get over the loss
Enjoy!

This post by Knotwilg was liked by: Bill Spight

Post #3 Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 12:29 pm 
Dies in gote

Was liked: 3
GD Posts: 32
But how do I report him? And also, if there is a way to exploit bugs from refusing to count, Tygem should know, shouldn't they? Reporting bugs is a way for the community to support the server and make it better.

Post #4 Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 2:45 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 45
Was liked: 25
I'm not sure how to report players in Tygem. I can't recall if there is an admin button or something during the game. I'll pay more attention in the next game I play.

I have also run in to this bug; I didn't keep asking for counting on the same move, I made moves on dame, or responded to his doomed-to-fail invasions, then asked again. I think after 3 or 4 times asking and being refused, I got kicked. Luckily he then accepted the count the next time I asked.
If there isn't an admin button, it's another reason for me to play primarily on Fox- I've had a few problems with people not counting etc. but always an admin has come and sorted it out very quickly once notified. Very impressed with that.

On other servers, you just have to accept that it's part of online play and move on to the next game. It sucks, but what I tell myself is that it doesn't matter what the server records as a win or a loss- what is important is how I played, whether I am improving, whether I really won or lost. It does leave a sour taste in your mouth, but better to not let people like that get to you.

Post #5 Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:04 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 120
Was liked: 157
Interesting. I had the same problem a couple of times (maybe 2 or 3 times) and I remember wondering if some people had found a "loophole" to force this to happen. Since it only happened rarely I couldn't know for sure but the anecdotical evidence gathered in this thread would suggest something of the kind.
During play there is a "Help" button that can be used for this kind of situation (if I remember correctly). You can also type something (providing your room number) in the chatroom. If you're lucky an admin might show up.
In the end, the easiest thing to do is just to blacklist the opponent and move on.

Post #6 Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:09 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
I sometimes have the opposite problem of someone who is insistent to count when I can see things that could become available after filling in the dame points. Rather than doing the appropriate thing of passing, they keep doing the counting until that runs out and then, instead of playing a dame or passing like they're supposed to, they play ko threats.

Eventually, they get an admin in the room to force a resign of the non-counting player... I'd be interested if anyone knows a way to not have this happen.

Post #7 Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:52 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 186
Was liked: 191
This behavior is so common that there is probably a gamer jargon for it, but probably not in English. For lack of a better term, let’s call it ‘splorking’.

I have not been successfully splorked on the iPad client, though some have tried.

You may find that some users are less likely to this than others.

There aren’t many admins, so just put up with a certain incidence or play on another server.

Post #8 Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:08 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 568
Was liked: 84
Universal go server handle: WindnWater, Elom
Couldn't servers create a fix for this?

If two players cannot agree on the status of dead groups, the game's result is undecided. But if one of the players go on to do the same thing in two other games, the other players wins that game and any rating points awarded or reduced will end up doubled. This should create a two-game buffer at any one time that acts as a benefit of the doubt for all players.

If a player keeps playing after a game is all but done in the opinion of one player, then why not a 50-move rule like in chess? It seems best for it to only apply after 200 moves have been played. If one player passes, then either player must capture a stone by the 25th move since the pass, or the passing player wins.

They won't be perfect but they will be a start. I think it's a bit much for admins to see to all the splorkers on a server.

Post #9 Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:17 am 
Dies in gote

Was liked: 9
I've had a curious bug where during counting, I can only designate my own stones. The opponent did not designate his dead stones, but just occasionally reverted the game into play mode (which I could not do myself, too!), so eventually I would lose on time. There were multiple messages popping up before the bugged counting mode started. Is this a known bug? It never happened to me before.

Post #10 Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:39 am 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 786
Elom wrote:
Couldn't servers create a fix for this?

Servers could prevent all score-cheating. I already suggested a solution when IGS was the only server. Server owners / programmers continue to make the same kinds of procedural mistakes so cheating continues to be possible everywhere.

Post #11 Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:18 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 31
KGS: 2d
RobertJasiek wrote:
I already suggested a solution when IGS was the only server. Server owners / programmers continue to make the same kinds of procedural mistakes so cheating continues to be possible everywhere.

How does this solution look like?

Post #12 Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:57 pm 
Calvin Clark wrote:
splorking
as far as i can see, Go is, like golf, or for that matter, tennis, football and climbing mountains, at its heart a game between you and yourself.

Hamlet wrote:
To poke yourself in the eye, or not poke yourself in the eye,
That is the question

Whether 'tis nobler to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous splorkers,
Or by opposing, end them?

AI, there's the rub

For in this street of dreams,
We are ought but mayflies,
who dare'st not dream of Danship,
Lest by dreaming, we upset Fate

Whose Fickle Finger points us to
An altogether more sunny meadow