It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for important matches of professional players
Post #1 Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:55 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 0
Greetings,

I was an 18 kyu at the May and now I'm 5 kyu. I do feel like I have crushed a barrier that I can't pass. My moves are aimless and I'm playing only locally, without seeing the whole board. I am playing 4 days a week in a local coffee, mostly against other SDK players and somethimes 1-4 Dan players (which is totally awesome). But now, I am trying to find my playing style. In order to do that I am trying to review professional matches and reading about game styles. There are some players I am interested in:

1-) Takemiya Masaki with his amazing Natural Style. Moyo is easy to understand but hard to play to be honest. The problem is, when I review his matches (especially newer ones), I never see him playing with moyos. I do understand that a professional will not let him play whatever he wants, but I wonder if he is still playing like his old self. In the last 2 tournaments I went with center moyo playstyle after reading a book about him (Master Play Series). I went 3-2, 4-1 in those tournaments, it was totally fun. My main problem was that I feel like I was playing with only one single aim, which can easily be disturbed. So until I get better in Go overall, I decided to leave this play style. But I am totally open to game suggestions to review.

2-) Choi Cheolhan. He is known as The Poisonous Snake, because of his attacking style. But I don't know which matches made his fame. I would like to review those games. In my games I am totally playing to gain influence and using this influence to attack. And you can definitely suggest other attacker players and games to review.

3-) Chen Yaoye: Which is famous for his territorial and solid style. I also want to learn how to play it and if I'm liking it or not. Which matches of him can be called best to review? I have never played this style by the way.

4-) Any other games you could suggest. I reviewed all Lee Sedol's and Ke Jie's Alphago matches. I have watched every single Redmond Reviews videos. I regularly watch Haylee and sometimes Nick Sibicky.

My sincerest thanks!

Post subject: Re: Looking for important matches of professional players
Post #2 Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:20 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 416
Was liked: 198
AlperenYasar wrote:
Greetings,

I was an 18 kyu at the May and now I'm 5 kyu. I do feel like I have crushed a barrier that I can't pass. My moves are aimless and I'm playing only locally, without seeing the whole board. I am playing 4 days a week in a local coffee, mostly against other SDK players and somethimes 1-4 Dan players (which is totally awesome). But now, I am trying to find my playing style. In order to do that I am trying to review professional matches and reading about game styles. There are some players I am interested in:

1-) Takemiya Masaki with his amazing Natural Style. Moyo is easy to understand but hard to play to be honest. The problem is, when I review his matches (especially newer ones), I never see him playing with moyos. I do understand that a professional will not let him play whatever he wants, but I wonder if he is still playing like his old self. In the last 2 tournaments I went with center moyo playstyle after reading a book about him (Master Play Series). I went 3-2, 4-1 in those tournaments, it was totally fun. My main problem was that I feel like I was playing with only one single aim, which can easily be disturbed. So until I get better in Go overall, I decided to leave this play style. But I am totally open to game suggestions to review.

You can search in pro games databases for your favorite players at various years, and find which style is the one you are interested in.
Takemiya is a player I studied too, and I think it is around 1985 when his cosmic style established, based on game comments I read in the Go World magazine.
It can be hard to emulate his style, since at the surface he looks like a "builder", but he really is a fighter, and without sharp technique to support the moyo, one's opponent may easily invade.

By the way, san-ren-sei is considered very suboptimal, and that was established even before AlphaGo came along. But that may be something we can leave to pros to worry about.

Post #3 Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:19 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 568
Was liked: 84
Universal go server handle: WindnWater, Elom
You may have seen this, but I think someone mentioned a while back where you could find a few of An 8p's excellent commented games.
https://github.com/gogameguru/commented-go-games

Post #4 Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:44 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 568
Was liked: 84
Universal go server handle: WindnWater, Elom
viewtopic.php?p=238438#p238438