It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Future Plans for Leela Zero Project
Post #1 Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:58 am 
Oza

Liked others: 2338
Was liked: 1332
KGS: ez4u
Perhaps all users of LZ should be aware of the ongoing discussion on github that will probably lead to a restructuring of the project. Gcp, the founder, has more than achieved the goals he had in mind in creating the project and would like to step back from leading it.

This post by ez4u was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, emeraldemon

Post subject: Re: Future Plans for Leela Zero Project
Post #2 Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:52 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 31
KGS: 2d
Will there be some version of LZ for everybody like Leela 11?

Post #3 Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:18 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Pippen wrote:

Do you mean runs fast on a weak computer, doesn't suffer from the installation problems I've had, or something else?

Post #4 Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:06 pm 
Lives in gote

Uberdude wrote:
Do you mean runs fast on a weak computer, doesn't suffer from the installation problems I've had, or something else?

Well, at least a stable version without all this installation procedure of clients etc. In an interview I read that the author plans to do that after enough training, but you know how how cheap interviews come. :)

Post #5 Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:52 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
Uberdude wrote:
Pippen wrote:

What you mention would be nice already … I have a relatively strong iMac & graphics card but when I run Starcraft it runs hot :roll: so …

… right this moment the idea of something like the Seti@home project, but dedicated to Go, sprang up in my mind:

A program that connects my computer to a network of other Go players, to run LZ distributedly, and if I’d want to play with a LZ instance with more power than my own machine allows, I could plug into the LZ network … would such a thing work?
Would it make sense? Or would the number of time slices in effect stay just the same because mostly only weak computers would connect?
Doesn’t CrazyStone offer something slightly similar (connection to CZ on a strong remote machine)?

Post #6 Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:49 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 9
Was liked: 83
KGS: Pio2001
Pippen wrote:

And also a version for Linux... I have seen everybody talking about Leela Zero for a long time, but I found no way to make it run on Linux.

Post #7 Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:08 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 2338
Was liked: 1332
KGS: ez4u
Pio2001 wrote:
Pippen wrote:

And also a version for Linux... I have seen everybody talking about Leela Zero for a long time, but I found no way to make it run on Linux.

Check the read.me. There are detailed instructions for compiling LZ on Linux. I found it a very simple process as long as I simply followed the instructions step by step (mint linux in my case).

Post #8 Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:13 pm 
Lives in gote

Of course the real dream would be some website like deepleela.com, just with L0.

Post #9 Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:47 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 9
Was liked: 83
KGS: Pio2001
ez4u wrote:
Check the read.me. There are detailed instructions for compiling LZ on Linux. I found it a very simple process as long as I simply followed the instructions step by step (mint linux in my case).

Thanks, but it didn't work at all.
After Linux Mint Debian Edition was at last updated in late 2018 with the mandatory libraries to compile LeelaZero, following both the instructions given by LeelaZero and also by Lizzie to compile LeelaZero (that are not the same), most commands are not found.
And after installing missing packages and other packages that were needed by the missing packages, the commands are executed, but they return only error messages. The compilation fails (or doesn't even start, I can't tell).

Post #10 Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:30 pm 
Pio2001 wrote:
it didn't work at all...Debian
i hear your pain, brother, and having just been through the dear old Debs torture chamber myself, it is still vivid in my mind. but as your prob has nothing to do with the future and everything to do with the past, if you repost it as another thread, this time giving some details of terminal output, i will do my best to assist, even though i am probably the least literate linux user in the entire universe, apart from you :)