It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: You won't get dumber while thinking
Post #1 Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:09 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 116
Anyone familiar with the tsumego book series You won't get dumber while thinking?
There are a total of 8 books, ranging from problems for 20 kyu up until 2 kyu.

I have the complete collection, they are rather fun because they are pocket sized. 2 problems per page, solution on the backside.

However, I do find the problems rather challenging. I just finished the 17-15 kyu book and I probably only had half of them (completely) correct. Wanted to hear if anyone else has done them and felt the ranks described on the books are a bit out of whack (like with GGPB series)
Very interesting little books, though.

Post subject: Re: You won't get dumber while thinking
Post #2 Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:20 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 886
Was liked: 527
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
I have not looked at them myself (except for sample pages online), but Mateusz Surma (the author) agrees that the problems are probably underrated.

Post #3 Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:10 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 3
Do you know of any place that'd sell this book and ship it to Russia? I could, alternatively, have it shipped at my family's address back in France but then I'll be picking it up this summer.
Plus, I desperately need something new and interesting to read, I've spent over 2 months writing the equivalent of a master's degree thesis in length about who buys real estate in Germany (think 90 pages of this) and as thus, every second of my reading time was spent on researching that... Now I want to read hobby related stuff when I'm back home after working all day long, damn it!

Last edited by Badger16 on Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post #4 Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:29 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 165
Was liked: 18
Universal go server handle: yakcyll
Badger16 wrote:
Do you know of any place that'd sell this book and ship it to Russia? I could, alternatively, have it shipped at my family's address back in France but then I'll be picking it up this summer.

I'm fairly confident that the shop on Mateusz's website will ship it where you need it, https://polgote.com/en/shop.

Post #5 Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:37 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 8
Was liked: 1
IGS: 13k
OGS: 13k
I just received mine; took 2 months of regular shipping from Poland to California. I am 13K on Pandanet and I find the first set (18 kyu) to be just right. The next level book looks too difficult (I ordered the first three books). I do like the pocket size format, as I can carry the book on a jacket pocket.

Post #6 Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:50 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 490
Was liked: 365
I'm with Ian Butler and the author: The problems in the book are a lot harder than the respective titles claim ^^

Just browsing through the sample pages, I only feel confident with the 10-/11-kyu problems right now - as a, albeit rusty, 3-kyu EGF.

So, more books and problems to solve! : )

Post #7 Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:07 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Ian Butler wrote:
Anyone familiar with the tsumego book series You won't get dumber while thinking?
There are a total of 8 books, ranging from problems for 20 kyu up until 2 kyu.

I have the complete collection, they are rather fun because they are pocket sized. 2 problems per page, solution on the backside.

However, I do find the problems rather challenging. I just finished the 17-15 kyu book and I probably only had half of them (completely) correct. Wanted to hear if anyone else has done them and felt the ranks described on the books are a bit out of whack (like with GGPB series)
Very interesting little books, though.

Since you got about half of them right, it sounds like that book was just right for you. :)

OC, now is the time to overlearn the ones you missed and to forge ahead into the next book. :)

Bonne chance!

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.