It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mainstream Go Sightings
Post #441 Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:33 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 235
Was liked: 77
Universal go server handle: fireproof
Couldn't find mention of this TV mini-series here, so forgive me if this is a repeat:

https://www.netflix.com/title/80132738

Samurai Gourmet - a retired salaryman has a meal each episode, intercut with scenes of a ronin in 18th century. Season 1, episode 3 begins with the main character playing go at a friends house.

This post by fireproof was liked by: Bonobo

Post #442 Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:07 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 114
Was liked: 176
I was re-watching Altered Carbon, episode 7, when a Go game appeared a bit past the 40 minute mark. It struck me that the players were using the same silicone board that I bought recently. Which reminded me that the coordinates were different than any I have seen. With the numbers ascending from the bottom, the letters ascend from right to left instead of left to right. Where would this be standard notation?

This post by Aidoneus was liked by: Bonobo

Post #443 Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:14 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 14
Was liked: 20
Aidoneus wrote:
I was re-watching Altered Carbon, episode 7, when a Go game appeared a bit past the 40 minute mark. It struck me that the players were using the same silicone board that I bought recently. Which reminded me that the coordinates were different than any I have seen. With the numbers ascending from the bottom, the letters ascend from right to left instead of left to right. Where would this be standard notation?

https://www.reddit.com/r/baduk/comments ... ed_carbon/

I've never seen coordinates on a board in real life. I've only seen coordinates on demo boards in videos and when using software. The board in that picture seems odd because the letters are oriented to be read from someone standing between the two players, off to the top side, while the letters are most easily read by the player on the left.

This post by Marathon was liked by: Bonobo

Post #444 Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:40 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
No mention of Go in the story, but Go chosen to illustrate "smart asian kid". https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-46071811

This post by Uberdude was liked by: Bonobo

Post #445 Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:40 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 74
Was liked: 100
The FT had a giant photo of Go board on its front page today. It may be behind a pay wall - it's a photo of Liam Fox, a UK politician. The article is about UK/US trade, and the Go board's presence is not explained.

https://www.ft.com/content/e54ea822-e441-11e8-8e70-5e22a430c1ad

This post by drmwc was liked by: Bonobo

Post #446 Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:48 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
drmwc wrote:
[…] It may be behind a pay wall […]

It _is_ behind a paywall … screenshot? :-)

Post #447 Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:28 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 90
Was liked: 837
KGS: Capsule 4d
Tygem: 치킨까스 5d
Bonobo wrote:
drmwc wrote:
[…] It may be behind a pay wall […]

It _is_ behind a paywall … screenshot? :-)

This post by Solomon was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, fireproof

Post #448 Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:23 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
That's part of the front cover of Nature when the first AlphaGo paper was published (plus some Chinese text on top, with the white on red GREAT being part of a UK gov export campaign, see https://www.great.gov.uk/), so my guess it was illustrating tech/trade with an international angle seeing as that's what Fox is minister of; "UK software company makes clever AI thingy and gets on Chinese tech magazine cover" type of deal -- and please don't mention how most of DeepMind's staff is foreign so Brexit will make such successes in the future less likely.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=natur ... o&tbm=isch

This post by Uberdude was liked by 2 people: apetresc, Bonobo

Post #449 Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:00 pm 
Lives with ko

Go is played by a main character around page 145 of "Gnomon" by Nick Harkaway https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33852053-gnomon.

Excerpt:
Quote:
He asks if I play Go. Go, he says, is a good metaphor, although that is a vast understatement of its beauty. Go is not a simulation of anything. Go is Go. It possesses – he hesitates – atsumi. He waves his hands. Atsumi, like the walls of a castle. Thickness and dominion. Mass, like with gravity again: the power to move things by being what it is. English and Japanese are both good languages for saying these things. Good, but not great. I ask if he is himself Japanese.

The interesting fella says that he is not.

When he does not say anything else, I admit that I have never played Go and ask him to show me how it works.

We play Go. It turns out that my ignorance of the game does not make me a tedious opponent because one of the ways in which Go is not like chess is that there are no prescribed openings as such. There are familiar patterns that quickly yield to uniquenesses, and what appears to be a mistake may become a fulcrum whose existence and position enables something remarkable. It is about identity as much as strategy. It is also profoundly difficult for computers to understand. Even a smallish chess machine can beat most players – but until very recently the very best Go simulator still struggled with an average human opponent. Now that has changed, but it happened by making a different kind of step altogether. Effectively, the digital Go master is not a machine at all, but a simulated person whose consciousness only extends to Go.

It's woven in and out of the story, for at least a few pages.

This post by fireproof was liked by 2 people: Applebaps, Galation

Post subject:
Post #450 Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:54 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Go @ pi

This post by EdLee was liked by 3 people: Bonobo, Galation, Inkwolf

Post subject: Re:
Post #451 Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:24 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 238
Was liked: 60
EdLee wrote:
Go @ pi

I near missed the clue :lol:

Post subject:
Post #452 Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 11:20 pm 
Honinbo

Go for fractions of a second at 0:17

Post #453 Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:15 pm 
Lives in gote

Andromeda, season 1, episode 5, starting at 27 minutes a game of 3-D Go. I guess in the future regular Go will be passe'.

Post #454 Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:29 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 66
Was liked: 57
KGS: Codexus
DGS: Codexus
One of the trailers for the PC strategy game Total War: Three Kingdoms uses go as part of its narrative. The game is based on Romance of the Three Kingdoms, a Chinese 14th century novel describing, with sometimes fantastical embellishments, the historical events of the 2nd and 3rd century CE, when the Han dynasty ended and the China was divided into competing factions and eventually 3 kingdoms.

Cao Cao, one of the faction leaders in the game, and a character who in the novel is presented as a ruthless strategic mastermind is shown playing a game against Yuan Shao (another faction leader).

This post by Codexus was liked by: Bonobo

Post #455 Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:10 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 153
GD Posts: 100
KGS: Tryss
Do we know if the game is an historic game (not necessarily played by Cao Cao of course), or if it was crafted for the video ?

What I like is that it's quite fitting the narrative here : after fierce battles, a calm move assert total dominance over the board (= kingdom) :rambo:

Post #456 Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:20 am 
Lives in gote

As a long-time fan of the novel, Chinese TV series, and all of the Koei game adaptations, this version seems to depart drastically from the history--at least according to many reviews on Steam. For myself, I will wait for a substantial sale.

Post #457 Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:11 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 66
Was liked: 57
KGS: Codexus
DGS: Codexus
I'm really enjoying this game and I'd recommend it if you like this type of empire management game. Since it's a strategy game, the goal is not retell the story, but rather to use it as a background. I had no previous Three Kingdoms knowledge or expectations, but now I started reading the book and find it quite fascinating.

Post #458 Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:07 am 
Lives with ko

In Down the River unto the Sea by Walter Mosley, pg 126-127 the protagonist, a private investigator, mentions playing Go with the former owner of a bar:

Quote:
"Pop an' me used to play Go after he closed," I said. "He told me that his clientele wouldn't like a man of my shade playing Chinese checkers at his bar."

"Atty tried to teach me," she remembered aloud, "but I just didn't get it."

"They say Go is harder than chess. Pop said he picked it up on a tour of Southeast Asia in the merchant marines."

Later, around page 213:

Quote:
I finally settled on remembering the retired merchant marine Athwart Miller and how we’d play Go in his bar after it was closed at night. I could have picked up whatever information I needed in a few minutes, but he always had hot grog ready and the board set out at the far end of the bar.

I never even came close to winning. He was far superior to me, but I was the only person he knew who’d come to the bar and play him.

I once asked why he’d even waste his time playing someone so inferior to his skill.

He said, “I play you because you’re here and every time we sit down you’re a little better. The best you can ask for is an opponent that improves. It’s like looking into a mirror with your eyes closed.”

This post by fireproof was liked by: Bonobo

Post subject:
Post #459 Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:11 pm 
Honinbo

0:54 ~ 0:56: Knives Out (2019 trailer)

This post by EdLee was liked by: Bonobo

Post subject:
Post #460 Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:30 pm 
Honinbo

retro Atari:
Attachment:
IMG_4366.JPG
IMG_4366.JPG [ 21.56 KiB | Viewed 13528 times ]

This post by EdLee was liked by: Bonobo

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next