It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: My Return to Go
Post #21 Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:33 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
KGS: Lanrose
So today's journal is going to be a little different. I'll start off by saying I played a few games today everything went well, and also took a look at some problems. I also got all of the copies of Go World magazine that I purchased from someone that was getting rid of them and am looking forward to going through them.

But the rest of this post isn't going to be strictly about Go. I mean the overall idea will be focused on it but I wanted to share something with everyone that I think is important when it comes to following what you want to do.

A few years ago I heard of something called the Dan Plan. The idea behind it was a guy named Dan decided to quit his job and focus on playing golf. Now it wasn't that he just didn't want to work anymore, but he read a book in which the author said that 10,000 hours of deliberate practice would allow for mastery of an activity. Now people first commented that 10,000 hours isn't enough time to master anything. I mean if someone were to play golf for 4 hours a day (average time of an 18 hole round), that would mean golf could be mastered in 7ish years.

That's where people struggled to believe the author, but Dan decided to try it out. He had never played a round of golf and decided to quit his job to master it. Currently he has about 4000 hours left and can now shoot scratch golf. Many people play for decades and never get that good, but he did. How? It's because he followed the rule of deliberate practice.

When people here the word practice in the case of golf they think oh ill just go hit some balls for a little thats practice. In the case of Go I generally think practice is oh ill just go do some problems or play a game. But there are certain elements missing from that type of practice. Deliberate practice involves, having the motivation to improve, being intentional, designed for the skill level, have immediate feedback and repetition. While I would know how to this with golf or other activities I think with Go it will be a little harder to do. But I think that doing this journal and making sure that I meet each of the goals I set will be a good way to get in that deliberate practice.

Now chances are some of you are really bored with the fact that I keep talking about golf, so I'm going to switch to something I saw today. In our daily lives we spend 8 hours working, approximately 4 hours cleaning, cooking, and spending time with family or friends. This leaves about 12 hours in a day. Now humans can generally get by with about 6 hours of sleep each day, so that comes to 6 hours to do anything else. 360 minutes a day to spend however we want to. And yet most of the time people will spend that watching tv and then wondering why they never have time to do what they want. Well I had that thought today and decided I wanted to change that. I want to spend my 6 hours a day in the most productive way possible to improve, or at least a portion of it because i also want to continue learning a new language.

Now I don't know how much of that 6 hours i want to spend on each activity, but I think that 2 hours on each of deliberate practice would be a good amount. I want to start my 10,000 hours of deliberate practice. From now on I will be recording my hours of deliberate practice and counting down on my journey to "master" go. I know that it will take many years to accomplish but I want to try.

So this was a little different of a post but it shows the new direction that I want to take this journal and if you have read all of this I commend you. Thanks for taking the time to read this and tomorrow I will begin my journey of 10,000 hours.

Post subject:
Post #22 Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:05 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Lanrose wrote:
tomorrow I will begin my journey of 10,000 hours.
Over the years, there have been on-going threads and discussions about the Dan plan and the 10K hours.

Post #23 Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:33 am 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
Ben Larcombe tried it out with Sam Priestly in table tennis in 2014. The idea was to get a newbie into top 250 in 1 year. Here's an excerpt of his blog:

Quote:
I then wrote a fairly comprehensive blog post (4,000 words) reviewing the challenge, talking about how I came up with the idea, the theory behind it, some inspiration from other challenges and authors, and why I think Sam was unable to achieve a top 250 ranking.

Is It Possible to Master Table Tennis in 12 Months?
http://www.experttabletennis.com/possib ... 12-months/

Sam also wrote an article, on his own blog, about his experience of the challenge.

Spectacularly Failing to Become an Expert in a Year
http://www.arbing.co.uk/failing-expert-in-a-year/

Such a time constraint is even more severe than just spending 10 000 hours, but it involved deliberate practice with a very dedicated teacher.

Post subject: Re:
Post #24 Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:00 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 25
Was liked: 124
KGS: STOP STALKING ME
EdLee wrote:
Lanrose wrote:
tomorrow I will begin my journey of 10,000 hours.
Over the years, there have been on-going threads and discussions about the Dan plan and the 10K hours.

And here I thought the dan plan was about Go.

Post #25 Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:20 pm 
Dies in gote

1 down 9,999 to go.

I have seen the other posts about the Dan Plan and the 10,000 hours but it doesn't seem like anyone ever really focused on trying to apply it to Go. Rather it seemed like everyone was concerned on if it would work or not without actually thinking about trying it themselves. I only glanced over the posts so maybe they did discuss more, but it didn't seem like anything much.

So I realize I didn't post anything yesterday, it was kind of an odd day. I didn't end up actually starting my studying yesterday due to not being home for most of the day, but I did end up starting today. Although the start of today was also quite weird. At 5 this morning my smoke detector started beeping and I didn't have batteries so I had to take a battery out of a different detector so it would stop beeping. I then fell back asleep only to wake up at 7:30 by a train, fall back asleep again and wake up at 9. But then everything was pretty fun I ended up having my first Italian lesson, which had some issues with connection but overall went very well. But once that was over I finally got to studying.

I ended up spending some time going through Graded Go Problems Vol 3 and through 501 Tesuji.

Results:
Graded Go 19/24 (79%)
501 Tesuji 4/6 (66%)

I was able to go through the graded go problems pretty quickly only taking about 20 minutes to solve the problems and review. I spent 15 solving and 5 reviewing ones I got wrong. The 501 Tesuji took more time to go through each problem I averaged about 5 minutes for each of the problems. For each of the problems I spent 3-4 minutes reviewing and for the two that I missed I ended up spending a little more time to make sure I understood why my answers were incorrect. I wasn't able to do as many Tesuji problems as I wanted to do, but I realized that I can solve these problems even if they do take a bit of time. I'm hoping that as I continue solving them I will be able to get all of the problems right but more importantly take less time to read through each of the situations to come up with the right answer.

I also ended up playing today and looking at a few pro games but not super in depth and so i am not planning on counting the time spent on those as deliberate practice. Therefore as I started before I have completed the first hour of my 10,000.

Tomorrow, assuming I don't have to wake up to my smoke detector going off again, I plan on doing more Tesuji problems and more Graded Go problems while also hoping to review some games with a few stronger players.

Thanks for reading today. Hope you will join tomorrow as I continue my countdown.

Post #26 Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:32 pm 
Dies in gote

2 more hours down, Only 9,997 left.

So I may have spent more that 2 hours studying today, but am only going to count the 2 hours. I figure better low ball the hours than not get enough practice time.

Today I decided to take a look at a specific part of the game today and focused primarily on the Endgame. I have a book from the Elementary Go series about the endgame and have really wanted to take a look at it but never really got past the first chapter. Well today I decided to start working through it. I didn't really get very far because I got confused about somethings and so I looked online for a little bit more basic explanation.

I ended up finding a lesson online that focused purely on counting endgame. I ended up watching the entire video and learned quite a bit from it and think I understand a little more about counting in the endgame. Overall I spent about 1.75 hours working through both the book and the lecture video. I think the lecture video helped my understanding more than than the book at this point but after going through the problems in the video and getting a few correct i have a firm basis to work from. I think tomorrow I will continue to work through the Endgame, mostly because even though I never fully understood the counting everything it was still my favorite to look at due to the complex math involved.

After the lecture video I worked through some more problems. I ended up doing 9 from 501 Tesuji and doing 18 from Graded Go problems. I know it's not a lot of problems but because of the time focused on the endgame, which now that I actually think about it was more like 2.25 hours, I didn't spend much time on problems.

Results:
501 Tesuji 4/9 (44%) - I didn't do very well on these not sure if it was because I wasn't super focused or just because I didn't read everything out fully. for the 5 i missed I actually picked the move that was supposed to be played second for each of them. I'm assuming that mainly means I wasn't read each option out correctly but spent time reviewing why my options didn't work as the first move. I spent about 26 minutes working through these problems both solving and review.

Graded Go Problems vol 3 16/18 (89%) - I found working through these pretty easy only missing two and spending only about 20 seconds per problem. Overall only spent about 10 minutes with going through the problems and reviewing the problems I missed.

Overall Results:
Graded Go 35/42 (83%)
501 Tesuji 8/15 (53%)

I didn't actually play an games today but did watch a few games on KGS being played and reviewed a little bit with the players after. Overall today was a pretty good day studying and am happy with the progress I have made in learning more about the Endgame.

With 9,997 hours to go I still have a long way but will continue to work tomorrow.

Thanks for reading today. Hope you will join tomorrow as I continue counting down.

Post #27 Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:23 am 
Oza

The first years of my university career I approached the study in a quantitative manner. I made a planning in terms of number of pages. If I lost some time, I increased the speed with which I went through the pages. Obviously this didn't work at all because I didn't really understand let alone internalize what was on those pages. I just "did" them.

Later, when I started all over again, I approached my studies as a day job. It was my first priority. I assumed I would have enough time anyhow and if not, I'd work overtime. This time I approached the topics differently: I tried to understand everything. I really studied the subject, without worrying about the pace. I realized the obvious fact that some pages go slower (the ones that introduce concepts, an important theorem) and others go faster.

I think this is the same for problems. In general we should just try to solve problems completely, without bothering how much time it takes. Sometimes the problem will be too hard and then you just look at the solution and move on. (Or we should take an easier collection.) Later, similar problems will become easier. And the same is even true for games. It's all very well to "lose 1000 games as quickly as possible", if you don't invest what you have into those games, you might as well not play them.

A qualitative approach is key. Play good games. Solve problems completely. Don't bother too much how many of them you did or which time ratio was spent on it.

Cheers

This post by Knotwilg was liked by 2 people: Bill Spight, sparky314

Post #28 Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:12 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Knotwilg wrote:
I think this is the same for problems. In general we should just try to solve problems completely, without bothering how much time it takes. Sometimes the problem will be too hard and then you just look at the solution and move on.

I generally agree with this note. However, I do not think that you should just look at the solution and move on. You need to study the solution and why it works and how you might have found it. (And what was wrong with your thinking.) At the very least you should be able to play through the main line of the solution and and key variations in your head before moving on.

I also think that it is realistic to set a time limit. When I was in training as a 4 dan I worked on 4 problems per hour, 15 min. per problem. That is because I was willing to spend that much time on a problem position in a real game. And the problems were that hard. ;) As a casual kyu player I would think that 2 to 5 min. would be a good maximum. As a beginner, 30 sec. to 1 min.

As I have indicated a number of times, I think that the right level of difficulty is such that you can solve around half the problems. That implies a time limit. It also implies that people who can solve 80 - 90% of the problems they try should move on to harder problems. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: Knotwilg

Post #29 Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:31 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 25
Was liked: 124
KGS: STOP STALKING ME
I love the tasuki collection for the reason that there is no answer and, if you're doing them properly, there can be no incentive to check the answers before you've exhausted your reading because there is no answers. Even if you get the problem wrong because of something you missed, you still put in the effort to read it.

Post #30 Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:38 am 
Oza

Bill Spight wrote:
When I was in training as a 4 dan I worked on 4 problems per hour, 15 min. per problem. That is because I was willing to spend that much time on a problem position in a real game.

That's a lot of time. Do you think this would still make for proper practice for a 4d in today's online regime? Even pros don't seem to pause for such a long while in the modern game.

(I agreed with the rest of your post)

Post #31 Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:10 am 
Honinbo

Knotwilg wrote:
Bill Spight wrote:
When I was in training as a 4 dan I worked on 4 problems per hour, 15 min. per problem. That is because I was willing to spend that much time on a problem position in a real game.

That's a lot of time. Do you think this would still make for proper practice for a 4d in today's online regime? Even pros don't seem to pause for such a long while in the modern game.

(I agreed with the rest of your post)

I was strongly influenced by Lin's (Rin Kaiho's) opinion in The Chance to Win the Game. The 15 min. is based upon a game lasting around 90 min. And I was willing to spend that much time on a single move. Usually I didn't.

As for a training regimen, I only managed to go from a new 4 dan to a solid 5 dan, so I don't know how effective it is. OC, the last dan is the hardest. ;)

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #32 Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:34 am 
Dies in gote

Hi everyone before I beginning I wanted to comment on some of the comments.

Quote:
I generally agree with this note. However, I do not think that you should just look at the solution and move on. You need to study the solution and why it works and how you might have found it. (And what was wrong with your thinking.) At the very least you should be able to play through the main line of the solution and and key variations in your head before moving on.

I wanted to say I completely agree with you. I feel like if I just look at the solution and move on I haven't learned anything except the answer to that specific problem. If i spend time studying the solution I am able to fully understand why the move works and would be able to apply it to other probelms.

Quote:

So I have one issue with what you said, and that is there is a huge difference bettwen a 4d and a pro. A pro doesn't pause for such a long time because they are constantly thinking about the situations on the board to a higher level than other players. But I also agree that 15 minutes per problem is a lot of time, and with online play as it is 15 minutes to think through a problem is way too long.

I realize this post is comming on Tuesday and not Monday but it is a journal for Monday. I wanted to write this earlier today but got distracted at work by actually having to do work, and so I'm just now getting to write this. Yesterday I ended up working through more of the 501 Tesuji problems. I was able to work through 9 more problems over the course of about an hour. I also looked at the Tasuki problems, only the elementary ones and just worked through about 20 of them.

Results:
501 Tesuji 7/9 (77%) - I felt really good working through these problems. Most were solved in under 4 minutes but I had two that took 12 minutes each, both solved correctly though. I spent about 15 minutes reviewing through the ones that I missed but will probably go over them more today as well.

Other than that I didn't spend much time studying. Well that's not true but I didn't study much Go. I went to the public library and found some language books and studied a little bit of French and Italian, and also looked at some Chess books. Then spent some time hanging with my roomate until I decided to go to bed.

Today I want to continue working through the Endgame book and also take some time to go through a pro game from the Go World magazines.

With the hour from yesterday my total deliberate practice time is up to 4 hours, only 9,996 to go.

I will probably post again tonight, but I may switch to posting in the morning's, probably at work because I have nothing else to do. Either way I hope you continue reading and I hope to see you at the next post.

Post #33 Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:16 am 
Dies in gote

So I know it has been a couple of days since I posted. My roomate and I had a friend from school come and visit for the week, and I have been spending time with them. Tuesday we went to see the Minions movie and yesterday decided to go for Froyo and Bowling. Due to this and working late I on both days I haven't had the time to study much besides doing quick problems on my phone.

Yesterday I was able to work on the Endgame book more. I continued reading through the chapter and got to the first problem sets in the book. I only ended up working on the first problem, and I spent about 25 minutes working through it. The problems are created so that 3 moves are presented and you are supposed to figure out the value of each move and how the overall situation would be played. I was able to figure out the value exactly for one of the moves, but the other two I was off by 1 point each. I was able to judge which was the biggest and the smallest, which is also asked for in the problem.

I hope to work on more problems tonight, but not sure how much time I will spend. But with last nights studying I have completed another hour and am now at 9,995 to go.

Hopefully I'll be able to study tonight and if so I hope to see you tomorrow!

Post #34 Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:16 pm 
Dies in gote

Man yesterday seemed to last forever. It seemed like the day was almost 4 years long.

That being said if you were waiting for my next post all this time your wish has finally come true. I have once again returned to my return to go? I have re-returned to go? Whatever you want to call it this is the first of my posts of my newest adventures into playing.

Honestly after my last post so much has happened that I'll just post the cliffnotes version. I got a job, moved, new project, moved, traveled for work, moved, traveled x 10, thought about moving, and traveled once again this time to Germany where I now want to move. But for some reason during the past 4 years I hadn't played a single game of Go until a few days ago when I came back.

The reason for my return this time? I decided to join the Yunguseng Dojang. It was very spur of the moment decision but it has reinvigorated my love for the game. Since I started playing again 3 days ago I have played at least 2 games a day including the first of my league games, which I won.

I'll need to go back through and assess my actual goals for my return. I think I bit off more than I could chew last time and since I stopped playing for such a long time am not where I used to be. A plan will be made and hopefully I'll have something more meaningful to post next time. This time though I have included a few games. The first being my round 1 league game, and the second a game with my newest go friend.

If you have time please take a look and make whatever comments you would like I will read them all.

League Game

Friendly Game

Once again I am happy to be back and thank you all for taking the time to read this. Hopefully when I say I shall post again soon it's not 4 years later. Good Luck with your games and studies!

Current KGS rating 11k - we shall see how this holds after a few more games

Attachment:
Lanrose-Dimago22-2.sgf [8.07 KiB]
Downloaded 743 times

Attachment:
Plenty-Lanrose.sgf [4.64 KiB]
Downloaded 742 times

Post #35 Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:45 pm 
Dies in gote

Work has kept me busy the past few days but I'm back again. I've spent sometime thinking about what I really want to achieve and how I want to go about it. So far I've come up with a few things.

First the goals

GOALS:
1) Play 10 games. This isn't supposed to be challenging but get me back into enjoying playing and figuring out when I'll be able to play with my schedule.
2) Win 3 of 5 league games - So far I am 1-0 so I'll just need to go 2-2 for the next games which should be a reasonable thing to do.
3) Reach Dan level - This is a long term goal but gives me something to work towards.

The goals will change over time but I think these are some good starting points.
Now like last time I'm not entirely sure where to start with my study plan, but I came up with a few ideas. I'll try them for a while and if I feel its not working it'll change. Hopefully I'll continue posting games and improvements.

Study Plan
1) Each week focus on a different topic - With my Yunguseng League I have access to lectures that I will use to learn and reinforce mechanics. I know the first one I want to work on is my opening.
2) Review games I play not including the league game (minimum 2 each week).
3) Find a book to work through - I know I have the In the Beginning book so I will probably work on that in conjunction with the lectures.
4) Go Problems - I have both books and stuff on my phone to work through, though while I'm traveling I have no clue what all the books I have are so that will have to wait until I get home to figure out exactly what to work through first.
5) Review AlphaGo games - This is something I've wanted to do for a while and while I enjoy looking through pro games I think I'm going to start with AlphaGo games and then select another pro to study after that. Purely for fun going through pro games but maybe I learn something.

Along with my updated goals and plan I have another game for review.

Please take a look let me know if you have any comments, I know there should be many.

Attachments:
Lanrose-Dimago22.sgf [9.12 KiB]
Downloaded 751 times

Post #36 Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:44 pm 
Dies in gote

GOALS:
1) Play 10 games. This isn't supposed to be challenging but get me back into enjoying playing and figuring out when I'll be able to play with my schedule.
2) Win 3 of 5 league games - So far I am 1-0 so I'll just need to go 2-2 for the next games which should be a reasonable thing to do.
3) Reach Dan level - This is a long term goal but gives me something to work towards.

Study Plan
1) Each week focus on a different topic - With my Yunguseng League I have access to lectures that I will use to learn and reinforce mechanics. I know the first one I want to work on is my opening.
3) Find a book to work through - I know I have the In the Beginning book so I will probably work on that in conjunction with the lectures.
4) Go Problems - I have both books and stuff on my phone to work through, though while I'm traveling I have no clue what all the books I have are so that will have to wait until I get home to figure out exactly what to work through first.
5) Review AlphaGo games - This is something I've wanted to do for a while and while I enjoy looking through pro games I think I'm going to start with AlphaGo games and then select another pro to study after that. Purely for fun going through pro games but maybe I learn something.

So the past few days have been interesting. I've only played 2 games recently. The first was against another 11k which I won. The second game was against a 2k player that I ended up losing. I thought I was ahead for some of it but I also realized not playing for a while has made me forget many of the basics including some living shapes and counting quickly.

I haven't had a chance to really review either of the games but I plan on doing that this week. Though I did watch the review of my league game and learned a few good things from that game.

I've also started working through one of the lectures about opening though I may switch to an endgame lecture after finishing with this one. Just to give me a chance to change things up and try out the opening techniques without wanting to focus on too many.

Attachments:
Lanrose-macstrong.sgf [1.06 KiB]
Downloaded 733 times
Lanrose-Amaud99.sgf [5.88 KiB]
Downloaded 741 times

Post #37 Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 10:08 pm 
Dies in gote

Hey everyone!

So quick update since my last post. I am currently 4-0 in my league games which is super great. I've been watching lectures and videos recently and have really enjoyed it all. One of the most fun things I've been doing has been reviewing games from old Go World Issues

So earlier today I was reviewing Game 5 of the 54th Honinbo Title Match

played between Cho Chikun and Cho Sonjin. Normally while reviewing I can follow, or at least pretend to follow, some of the decisions being made.

In the game I linked above Cho Sonjin played a peep on move #62 which is something I've seen in games before but I can't seem to figure out why it's played. In other games I've seen peeps like this played and I've really never understood the reasoning behind why they get played at seemingly random times.

Maybe it's something simple other people have learned why they occur at certain times but I can't seem to figure it out nor can I find resources specifically related to when to play peeps.

Could someone help me to understand?

Attachments:
Cho-Chikun.sgf [1.8 KiB]
Downloaded 714 times

Post #38 Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 11:46 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 491
I don't think the question has a general and easy answer. In the game, the peep was good because (1) Black answered (2) Black didn't gain anything from the N10 stone. However, it is not always obvious whether the opponent will answer to a peep. For instance, if White had peeped at move 58, would Black have answered with N10, or with J11, or something else?

Post #39 Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:38 am 
Honinbo

In this case, if Black does not connect to the peep, White can cut with atari. After Black connects there, he will have two weak groups floating in the center, neither of which has an eye yet, one with 4 stones, one with 8. So Black will answer the peep.

After Black answers the peep, White will have a single weak stone next to a strong Black wall. That may not seem like much, but it is better than nothing. :) White may be able to make hay from threatening to connect to that stone, for instance. The timing of such a peep, as with the timing of any sente, is not always an easy question to answer, as jlt says. In this case, however, early is good, for two reasons: 1) playing the peep does not kill any other play for White, which option White might want to play later; 2) if Black gets stronger so that he does not have to simply connect to a peep, that will be better for Black.

Sente against the opponent's strength is called kikashi. A peep like this is called a no loss kikashi. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #40 Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 7:26 pm 
Dies in gote

JLT and Bill thank you for your responses and help. While I still don't fully understand (I know I wouldn't be able to know exactly when the right time to make a move like that would be) I'm a step closer to potentially making moves like that.

Other things I need to report on are my goals and accomplishments of steps in my plan.

GOALS:
1) Play 10 games. - Officially I have now played 15 games on KGS. 5 of those have been league games
2) Win 3 of 5 league games - My first league season is complete and I went 5-0 I'm not sure what that will mean going forward but I think I'll keep the same goal for next month.
3) Reach Dan level - Just got to around 2k on KGS but that was by playing against a 7D bot so I'm not sure I'm counting myself as being that close.

Study Plan
1) Each week focus on a different topic - I haven't been good with doing this unfortunately. But I have been watching videos and lectures which has been great..
3) Find a book to work through - I started with my Endgame book and man is endgame stuff complicated..
5) Review AlphaGo Professional games - So I started replaying games from my GO world issues. At some point I'll come back to the AlphaGo games.

I'm also including my last league game which I think was pretty good and the game I played against the bot for review. I haven't yet really gone through either but am planning on doing so tomorrow.

Attachments:
Lanrose-Lawton.sgf [3.82 KiB]
Downloaded 640 times
Golois2-Lanrose.sgf [3.75 KiB]
Downloaded 631 times