It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 790 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 40  Next

Who will win?
EGF pros 69%  69%  [ 40 ]
AGA pros 22%  22%  [ 13 ]
Don't know 9%  9%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 58
 Post subject: Re: EGF vs AGA pros win-and-continue match
Post #441 Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 3:28 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
William Gansheng Shi made the following post:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10161705073480228&set=a.10151468633310228&type=3 wrote:
To Go fans in the European and North American community, I like to address some of the questions and concerns you have regarding the 4th Transatlantic Go Championship.

I share the same feeling with Ali Jabarin (https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... =857279627) from the EGF when I saw the match live. I also thought that the best option would be to rematch. However, when the first announcement was made that the ruling was to continue play, that was when I protested this decision along.

As you can see from my email, I clearly addressed my concerns as advocated for a rematch. The AGA and EGF pros are close friends and we participate in many tournaments together so it is very saddening to see fans shaming on us as this type of behavior absolutely does not agree with the goal of a friendship tournament this was intended to be.

I am disappointed with the decision that has come out recently. The AGA and EGF pros both have sat down and agreed that we would all prefer to have a rematch as it would be the most fair decision. Ultimately the decision rests upon the organizers and the referees and I think as professionals we should also agree to follow the rules and final decisions made by them.

Email screenshot:

This post by Uberdude was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, dfan

Post #442 Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:26 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 153
GD Posts: 100
KGS: Tryss
So according to him, the only fair option is to make the format look unprofessionnal ? And this also set a precedent, and a player could still use this as an excuse to avoid a loss on time.

I can understand to prefer a rematch, but don't use arguments to dismiss the resume that could also be applied to rematch.

Post #443 Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:51 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 27
Was liked: 89
Uberdude wrote:

Email screenshot:

Comment:
1. This is true in any game played with a long break, but does it makes any difference in this game? Maybe, maybe, someone could take 1 point more, in a 10 point lead. William himself points this out partially in pt. 4.
Anyway, decision had to be brought immediately, and referee had to bring it very carefully.

2. If decision was made that Mateusz loses on time (for me justified as well), question remains why such important tournament was organized in conditions where especially one side could be subjected to technical difficulties.
So yes, this makes tournament looks unprofessional.

3. Yes, this makes important precedent, I agree. This is why it has to be analyzed carefully. In this case, this did not happen in at least 2 of 3 referee's decisions (which looks even more unprofessional).
This case had everything necessary for making precedent - high profile game, proctor as witness, clear situation in endgame.

4. I don't think that replay is a good idea. Problem happened during game, it should be solved during game, and let's move on.

----

Soon after a game team Europe fans were in the "Ohh, this is such a bad way to lose, nooo" mood.
Outcry and anger came after making appeals, decisions, and different meddling in the game.
So organizer were only to be blamed for this mess, and should apologize.

Also, please note that in all this mess we should put sportmanship on first place.
Making a case to win not by playing on the board creates one even more dangerous precedent!
It would be really awful if this would repeat on future tournament.

This post by Bojanic was liked by: silk

Post #444 Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:22 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 315
So remind me how things went

• Result win on time for NA
  • protest by Europe because of lag
  • Referee decides on resuming play
  • protest by NA requesting a rematch
  • Referee decides on a rematch
  • protest by Europe?
  • Referee decides NA wins on time. This is the final decision.
  • another protest by somebody
  • The final decision is the final decision.

Post #445 Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:34 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 165
Was liked: 18
Universal go server handle: yakcyll
Javaness2 wrote:
So remind me how things went

• Result win on time for NA
  • protest by Europe because of lag
  • Referee decides on resuming play
  • protest by NA requesting a rematch
  • Referee decides on a rematch
  • protest by Europe?
  • Referee decides NA wins on time. This is the final decision.
  • another protest by somebody
  • The final decision is the final decision.

To be more precise:
  • Mateusz lags out.
  • Mateusz brings up that he attempted to make the move within the allotted time, which was noticed by the proctor on his side.
  • Referee decides on resuming play.
  • AGA pros request a rematch, citing the concerns mentioned above (not necessarily limited to them).
  • Referee decides on a rematch.
  • Question mark indeed. Mateusz appeals the decision to rematch and mentions that it's not his fault KGS is malfunctioning and he had issues with lag before.
  • Referee decides NA wins on time. This is supposedly the final decision. Why it had to be final remains a question.
  • Another appeal is brought up.
  • More discussions occur and ultimately the last decision is upheld.

This post by yakcyll was liked by: Joaz Banbeck

Post #446 Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:23 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 37
Uberdude wrote:
William Gansheng Shi made the following post:

Quote:
Both players are given extra time to think about the game and the possible moves or outcomes.

This is almost completely irrelevant in this particular case, because of the state of the board. Bringing this up just tries to complicate an already very sensitive situation - what for?
Quote:
Resuming play sets a precedent for future tournaments. I can imagine future scenarios where players may use this example as an excuse for a loss on time.

I can not imagine a future scenario where an official proctor would confirm the software or network malfunction and that the player made his move in time, yet this could still be abused. Again important facts are ignored here.

EDIT: It's actually lucky that this incident happened, since the particular case could have been resolved completely satisfactory (because of the above points) - yet the problem surfaced and can be addressed for the future (where the best solution would not be so clear as here).

Post #447 Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:33 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 542
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
As I see it, the match rules are the match rules. Everyone (organizers, players, coaches, team managers) could/should have known that time was kept on the server, not by the client, all the problems that implies regarding netlag. To me that means that Surma timed out, it is that simple, no matter how upset Surma and some European fans may be. Regarding "poor sportsmanship", it is not poor sportsmanship to assert your right to play the game to the counting phase, no matter how much of a lead your opponent has. This is especially true when in the game both sides are in sudden death byo yomi. In that situation either player might easily time out. It is poor sportsmanship to demand that the result be changed when the game had finished (by time out) in accord with the rules unless there is evidence of cheating. Was there actual cheating on either side? It is poor sportsmanship to assert, with no evidence, that the referee was biased in favor of one team or the other. The best solution is to accept the referee's final decision, get over it, and move on to play the rest of the match in good spirit.

This post by gowan was liked by 2 people: bernds, yakcyll

Post #448 Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:35 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
While I liked, and still kind of like the idea of resumption, it does create an ambiguity.

In this scenario, resuming is quite fair. The game was effectively over, so it changes nothing to resume the game. But in another situation, you are giving one player time to study the position, and potentially change the game. So, the decision to resume is (in general) either going to sometimes be very unfair, or rely on the referee's judgment to pick circumstances where it is fair. That seems like a valid reason to dislike resumption.

Post #449 Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:49 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 491
hyperpape wrote:
But in another situation, you are giving one player time to study the position, and potentially change the game.

Resuming the game should be possible only under the following circumstances:

1) If player A loses on time because of a lag or disconnection, he should immediately inform proctor A where he intended to play his move n. This move is kept secret until resumption of the game.

2) When the game resumes, proctor A checks that player A makes the move n at the announced intersection.

In this way, during the extra thinking time, player A can think about move n+2 but doesn't know what move n+1 is (unless move n is a forcing move), and player B can think about move n+1 but doesn't know what move n is (unless move n-1 was a forcing move).

So yes, in some circumstances one of the players could get an advantage, but which player gets the advantage is not predictable.

Post #450 Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:51 am 
Judan

Ryan Li speaks too:

https://www.facebook.com/ryanitus/posts/10161726045800111 wrote:
On the discussions regarding the Surma-Lui game in the 4th round of the 1st Transatlantic Professional Go Team Championship

At the current IMSA tournament, I talked with the organizers, the AGA pros, the EGF president, and EGF professionals Pavol Lisy and Ilya Shikshin. I will not reiterate the whole situation here because it is covered in full by Hajin Lee in her post here: https://www.facebook.com/hajin88/posts/2184711538232227 and on the official page. Here are some information and opinions from me as a player.

First I'd like to point out that I consider many of us close friends. I met Pavol and Artem in the 5th KPMC back in 2010 when we were all amateurs (although Pavol said he wanted to kill me; yes, Pavol is very violent on the Go board). I also met Ilya, Ali Jabarin, and Mateusz Surma in multiple tournaments and reviewed games with all of them. Of course, there are the countless blitz games played online. The overarching goal of the Transatlantic tournament is friendship.

The main dispute seems to come from the fact that Eric was losing the game. Who is to say that a player should not finish a game to the end when they are losing? Most current top players in the world do that. Park Junghwan once played inside his opponent’s territory in a game using absolute time in order to win the game. This is a competitive mind sport.

The AGA did not protest to win by time. See William Gansheng Shi’s post for his original e-mail that was sent to the referee. Calvin’s arguments were similar. I was not fully involved in the protest but I also believe that the best decision is to either replay the game or eliminate both Eric and Mateusz, both for the audience and the players. At this moment, many other pros are posting similar comments, from both the EGF and AGA (see Ali Jabarin's post). Both Eric and Mateusz have their own standpoint but at this point it is pointless, as Ali put it, to get the fair or logical decision.

The players want a rematch but the referee was firm on the decision.

Unless you know enough of both sides of the situation to make constructive comments, please be civilized and avoid impetuous responses. I felt very disturbed by some of the mindless comments. However, I still feel optimistic for future tournaments between the AGA and EGF. Thanks for reading this far and understanding.

This post by Uberdude was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, dfan

Post #451 Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:54 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 11
GD Posts: 50
hyperpape wrote:
While I liked, and still kind of like the idea of resumption, it does create an ambiguity.

In this scenario, resuming is quite fair. The game was effectively over, so it changes nothing to resume the game. But in another situation, you are giving one player time to study the position, and potentially change the game. So, the decision to resume is (in general) either going to sometimes be very unfair, or rely on the referee's judgment to pick circumstances where it is fair. That seems like a valid reason to dislike resumption.

William Gansheng Shi in his e-mail wrote:
Resuming play sets a precedent for future tournaments. I can imagine future scenarios where players may use this example as an excuse for a loss on time.

i really don't understand why should resuming play set a precedent?

Now we are in an unique and unfortunate situation, where tournament organizers forgot to create rules about lags and chose KGS which counts time at server's side.
This situation will never repeat: rules for this tournament are being created and kgs client will be hacked for purpose of this tournament.
Of course different tournaments have their own rules.

Last edited by k0n0 on Thu May 16, 2019 7:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

This post by k0n0 was liked by: Bill Spight

Post #452 Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:54 am 
Judan

gowan wrote:
As I see it, the match rules are the match rules. Everyone (organizers, players, coaches, team managers) could/should have known that time was kept on the server, not by the client, all the problems that implies regarding netlag.

Does that extend to other actions KGS may take as the venue? What about the following situation:
- Mateusz has lag of 5 seconds in his penultimate byo-yomi period
- He can read Myungwan Kim's mind from the future, so leaves the game to pause the clock and sends a private message to the tournament director informing them of his lag, asking how he should proceed.
- Unfortunately, as he has left many games on KGS before (10 over the last 6 months IIRC) KGS has he flagged him (internally, there is no way to see this) as a chronic escaper. Thus leaving this game means KGS declares he has lost by Forfeit.

gowan wrote:
To me that means that Surma timed out, it is that simple, no matter how upset Surma and some European fans may be.

Plenty of American fans are upset too, to quote a few:
Ben Lockhart wrote:
This is a f***ing disgrace- I’m so sorry Mateusz

Michael Zhaonian Chen wrote:
Congratulations on the superb high level games you played. 4 straight well deserved wins. This has been a tremendously entertaining tournament to watch.
It sounds like playing a new game is the best idea. This way there is still something lost due to the unfortunate technical issue. Don't understand the final decision, seems way too biased.

Post #453 Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:54 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 56
Was liked: 7
KGS: 2k
IGS: 2k
OGS: 3k
Email screenshot:

So, let me get this straight;
It was announced that the game will resume and he (and however else agreed with him) appealed for a restart instead. The reason he preferred a restart, was because a lot of time had passed and by then, the game would most probably had been analysed to the end and after the resumption it wouldn't be Mateuz again Eric, but leela1 against leela2. Ok, fair enough, i couldn't agree more.

But, does it matter? If they were still in middlegame or early yose or late yose obviously they couldn't resume. But the game was in late-late yose. Now, i'm just a kyu player and to my eyes it seemed that basically 10 moves remained and after that it's just dame, so like most people, i thought it's a done deal (i mean, come on, look at the final position, even a DDK couldn't screw up Mateuz' lead), so i believe resuming is most fair decision.

But, none cares about my opinion, what does he think? He says: "By resuming the match, the organizers are indirectly affecting the outcome of the game" and later that it's basically a win by black, but i want to emphasize that particular sentence.

If Mateuz didn't lag, he would have won, that much is clear. If the organizers resumed the game, Mateuz would have won and now for the other case, if the organizers didn't interfere, Mat would have lost on time (still due to lag, but it's a time loss). Now, that the organizers have interfered, Mat still lost on time. William says that a compromise must be made between restarting and resuming for fairness.

Tell me, what compromise is between loss by time and loss by time? If a compromise should be made for the AGA team, why not also for the EGF team? Where is the fairness?

ps1. If someone has leela-zero or is a high dan player, it would be nice to inform us of how many moves were left and how many of them were dame. Maybe, the difference of the points between excellent and "mediocre" play could be calculated and compared with the 10 point lead by black.

ps2. I stopped commenting, because i wanted to hear AGA's point of view and most importantly the reason of the AGA appeal. The key to the whole mess, is the reason behind the first appeal. Now, that i know more details my conclusion is this: If the referee did not exist we would have gotten the same result 5 days ago. The AGA team did not advocate for a time loss, but also for resuming the game and in my eyes their sportsmanship is questionable.

ps3. I don't really care which team wins, as long as their its victory is based on skill. The only important thing is that, this tournament continue in the coming years, preferably live and this whole fiasco be forgotten.

Post #454 Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:25 am 
Dies in gote

Calvin’s arguments were similar.

Could anyone copy/link Calvin's post here?

Post #455 Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:44 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
k0n0 wrote:
Every ruling creates a precedent. That's what a precedent is.

k0n0 wrote:
Now we are in an unique and unfortunate situation, where tournament organizers forgot to create rules about lags and chose KGS which counts time at server's side.
This situation will never repeat: rules for this tournament are being created
Assuming rules are corrected, you're right about it being a one-time situation. I do understand the desire to rule in a way that creates no precedent. If the referee is not in a position to force new rules, he will decide without that assumption.

k0n0 wrote:
and kgs client will be hacked for purpose of this tournament.
Is that being proposed by anyone except a few people on L19? As a developer, I do not think that's a good idea. I actually think a purpose built server that uses the client to track time would be a modest investment and make sense. The games would be played there, and relayed to KGS or other servers for spectators.

That said, the EGF and AGA presumably don't have the resources to properly create such a server unless someone volunteers to do it.

Post #456 Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:45 am 
Lives with ko

dsatkas wrote:
ps1. If someone has leela-zero or is a high dan player, it would be nice to inform us of how many moves were left and how many of them were dame. Maybe, the difference of the points between excellent and "mediocre" play could be calculated and compared with the 10 point lead by black.

This should be good enough, I hope.
viewtopic.php?p=243678#p243678

Post #457 Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:02 am 
Lives with ko

k0n0 wrote:

Rules say that if you run out of time you lose.
This case would be precedent, because it goes against this rule.

It could be later added as addition to current rule as:
"If a player tries to play on time, but he is stopped by technical malfunction, and loses on time, referee can order game to be resumed."
It can also be written differently.

You can never take into account all situations that could occur in the game.
That is why precedent principle could be useful.

For instance, someone could try to misuse this rule I wrote as example (ie fakes to push the button during fight, then claims it was malfunction, in order to get more time for thinking). With precedent, we could take into consideration all circumstances - ie in this situation game was practically over so we could rule out misuse.

------

Regarding appeals etc, I was surprised that referee ordered so quickly to resume game, because it is precedent (As a player I prefer that match should be decided by skill of play, but rules have to be carefully created).
More surprising is that AGA team did not appeal on this precedent, but sent whatever stupidities they wrote about their proctor, and even more surprising referee agreed to it.

Post #458 Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:10 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 81
Was liked: 128
KGS: lepore
Since both the AGA and EGF professionals seem to prefer a rematch to the current result, can't they somewhat take matters into their own hands?

Have a rematch on their own. If Mateusz wins the rematch, then Eric forfeits the next match. If Eric wins the rematch, he continues.

Post #459 Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:41 am 
Dies in gote

First similar question for both hyperpape and Bojanic:

hyperpape wrote:
k0n0 wrote:
Every ruling creates a precedent. That's what a precedent is.
If you talk about a precedent, you must specify a legal system/legal environment you are talking about. Which one do you mean?
(For example I don't think that Myungwan's decision may become a precedent for next chess championships.
Do you mean the legal system of this Transatlantic tournament, of all future Transatlantic tournaments, of all go tournaments in the world ...?)

Bojanic wrote:
k0n0 wrote:

Which rules do you mean? Rules of KGS? Rules of Transatlantic tournament? Other rules?

Post #460 Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:49 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 37
Bojanic wrote:

I don't know the typical wordings of the rule, but would guess it says something about not making the move (including pressing the clock) within the time limit. That is NOT what happened here.

It's possible to run out of time even if you make your move in time? A worse precedent.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 790 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 40  Next