It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 96  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kirby's Study Journal
Post #1401 Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:26 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Yup, when I say Elf, I mean the weights, like Uberdude mentioned.

As for your site, yeah, I can translate stuff to Korean if you want. I'm doing a lot of remodeling at my house these days, though, so free time is limited (just did more tiles last night, and I'm building a pantry this weekend). As a result, it could take more time than usual to translate something for you. But I'd still be happy to do it.

Post #1402 Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:03 pm 
Honinbo

Well, it's the Monday after the US Go Congress, and it's hard to believe that the week is already over. I attended last week, and had a great time.

In the weeks coming up the the US Go Congress, I experienced a great deal of stress for a few reasons:
1. Outside of my weekly AYD game, my go study was severely lacking. Simply put, I hadn't been studying go, and didn't feel prepared for the US Open. I like to be in sharp state before tournaments, and I could tell that I simply wasn't there.
2. Despite this concern, I've had a lot of pressure to finish remodeling projects at my house. We don't really like contractors, and my in-laws are coming to stay with us in September - so there's a good deal of pressure to finish things up before they arrive. Combined with #1, above, this led to a good deal of internal conflict ("I should prepare for the tournament, but I can't... But I should...").
3. Aggressive deadlines at my work added to the mix, though, the atmosphere is somewhat laid back there. This added a bit to the tension, but wasn't that significant.

---

Despite these concerns, I wrapped up the tasks I was working on at work the Friday before the Go Congress, and headed out to the airport to go to Madison on Saturday, July 13th. Following, is my account of those days.

Saturday
My flight was around 8:30am, so I woke up around 6:30 to drive to the airport. I considered taking an Uber, but airport parking is pretty convenient, so I opted for that. I drove about 30 minutes to the airport, parked, and waited at the gate. I realized when I got there that I didn't have a seat, yet, but fortunately, I got one despite the full flight. I was a bit drowsy from lack of sleep, but soon became more alert when I realized that long-time go fan and volunteer at the National Go Center, Gurujeet Khalsa, was assigned to sit next to me - Josh Lee was also on the same plane. We chat about go-related topics for the duration of the flight, until we arrived at Madison.

After getting out of the airport at Madison, the first thing I noticed was the humidity. The good thing, though, was that it the weather was sunny and, overall, quite nice. We ordered an Uber, and arrived at the Union Building where the Go Congress would be held at around 9:30am... But nobody was there for registration, because registration didn't open until noon. The good thing was, we could check into the dorms to drop off our bags. The dorms were about 3 blocks away - about 5 minutes by walk. After dropping off my bags, I met up with Josh Lee, and we had a snack at the nearby coffee shop. We chat about his role as the TD for the Masters tournament. Josh had done this once before, so now he felt pretty comfortable in organizing the tournament. When it got closer to noon, we headed back to the Union building, and went through the registration process. I registered for the US Open, and chat with various folks that were arriving. I met several familiar faces from earlier congresses, and introduced myself to folks I hadn't met before. And for the first time in person, I met dfan from the L19 forums.

The playing area was held on the 4th floor of the Union building, but registration was on the 2nd floor. Since the social aspect is one of the reasons I attend the US Go Congress, I would wander now and then between the two floors to try to maximize interaction with different folks at that were attending. On the 4th floor, among others, I said hello to HKA and we chat briefly about the Transatlantic Go Championship.

Then, to my surprise, I saw Matt, one of my classmates from about 15 years ago. I hadn't seen him in some time, but meeting him held some personal significance to me. When I learned about go in college, I got into learning the rules, studying, and trying to play games... But there was nobody to play with in person. Then one day, someone in my dorm told me about somebody watching Hikaru no Go in another building. I tracked him down and found out that he was 8k - he could win against me with 9 stones! We started playing regularly, and he became my first rival. We shared an internship one summer, and would play every day at lunch. Handicap stones reduced until one day, I beat him in an even game - I descended on the first line with a previously captured stone, and he couldn't approach due to shortage of liberties! Anyway, Matt played a huge role in my pursuit of go after first having learned the rules, and it was nice to see him again after 15 years.

We chat for awhile, and then I returned to the second floor to see if anybody else had shown up. Inseong had arrived! I was happy to see him. Due to lack of preparation, I was considering skipping the US Go Congress, but was convinced to attend after an email from Inseong. We chat about various things, and welcomed other folks that started to trickle into the registration area. Inseong was hungry, so we went to a nearby restaurant to have a snack. He also had a root beer, because apparently, there's a variety of root beer variants available in the states, which aren't that popular in France. I told him that I wasn't well-studied for the US Open, and wasn't really ready. We agreed that it might be good to try to play the game in a way that focused on my strengths.

As it got closer to mealtime, Inseong and others went to the second floor eating area. I didn't go with them, because I didn't buy the meal plan. But dfan from L19 also didn't get the mealplan, so we went outside to find a place to eat around campus. We had a nice meal, chatting about go along the way. It got closer to 7:00pm when the awards ceremony would start, so we headed to the playing area where the ceremony would be held. I found Tony Cha, a 4d who's also in the AYD. I met his wife, and he agreed to play a game while we were waiting for the ceremony to begin.

It was at this point, that I started to strategize what I should do for the upcoming US Open. I hadn't practiced, and I wasn't sharp, so I knew there was a good chance I'd be losing throughout the week. So what should I do? My opponents would be well-studied and prepared, but I wouldn't.

Inseong has told me time and time again in reviews, that I often look for complications. I don't play territorially, and try to lead the game to a crush-or-be-crushed situation. This is a problem of mine that I should fix. But for a tournament, his advice was to optimize for what I was good at. So I decided that I should look for an aggressive opening to play as black. Here's what it looks like:

Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$Bcm1
$$ ---------------------------------------
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . 2 . . . . . , . . . . . 1 . . . |
$$ | . . . , . . . . . , . . . . . , . . . |
$$ | . . 6 . . . . . . . . . . . . 9 . . . |
$$ | . . . 4 . . . . 7 , . . . . . , 8 . . |
$$ | . . . . . 5 . . . . . . . . 3 . . . . |
$$ ----------------------------------------[/go]

My idea behind this was two-fold:
1. The opening can lead to something kind of complicated at the beginning - which may be more suited toward what I like.
2. Opponents who are well-studied in the opening may not be prepared. So at least we'd be on semi-equal footing.

Now, this doesn't really help that much, because someone who can outread me can probably win the game anyway... But I don't think I have time to improve my reading in just a couple of days. Anyway, I played this opening against Tony during the opening ceremony. We got into a big fight, and I ended up capturing one of his groups. So I had a small success in practicing this opening at least once before the US Opening. I wasn't an expert on it, but I'd give it a try.

The opening ceremony went on while we were playing, but I was focused on the game, so I have no idea what they talked about.

I'll continue with Day 2 of the congress in the next post.

This post by Kirby was liked by: dfan

Post subject:
Post #1403 Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:35 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Quote:
The opening ceremony went on while we were playing, but I was focused on the game, so I have no idea what they talked about.
Re: post #8 :batman:

Post #1404 Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:31 am 
Honinbo

End of Day 1
One thing that I forgot to mention in my last post was that I signed up to get a random roommate when I registered for the go congress. Since we got to the dorms so early on Saturday, when I got there, I still didn't know who my roommate was - I was the first to arrive. I opted to take the bed by the window, and went about my day.

But later in the evening, after the opening ceremony, I met my roommate for the first time. His name was Christian, and he had travelled all the way from Germany (I believe Frankfurt). Christian was quite friendly, and we chat about European and American go. He wasn't going to participate in the US Open, but was sightseeing across the US. After the congress, he'd travel to LA and then to San Francisco. He told me that he wasn't into studying go these days, but that he was a decently strong European 3d. He was also quite good at chess.

I enjoyed our conversation, but was also anxious to get to bed. I hadn't studied for the tournament much, so my best chances for a good result in my first game was to get some rest. But, it was also fun to chat with Christian, so we chat until a bit past midnight. That still gave me about 8 hours to get some rest before the first game of the US Open at 9am.

Post #1405 Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:31 am 
Honinbo

Day 2
I soon realized that opting for the bed by the window may not have been the best choice. Cars were noisy and construction sounds could be heard from outside, which woke me up around 6am. This was about 2 hours earlier than I had anticipated waking up, so I tried to go back to sleep... But that didn't work that well.

Since sleep wasn't working, I thought I could do another means of preparing for the first game: life and death problems. I have many life and death books, but in order to avoid too much luggage, I brought only two books: one with easy problems and one with more challenging problems. As a warmup, I began with some of the easy problems.

After a few minutes, I became a little bit worried: my brain seemed to be less efficient than usual, and these "easy" problems seemed more difficult than they usually are. Maybe it was due to lack of sleep, or maybe it's just because I was out of practice. But nonetheless, I was worried. It definitely made me realize that I was not prepared for the tournament. I spent about an hour going through problems in the book. My pace picked up a little bit, but it was still slightly unsettling how the easy problems were taking me longer than usual - I didn't even get to solving any hard problems from my other book.

Anyway, I decided to remain optimistic, and headed to the dining area near the dorms. I hadn't bought the meal plan, but because I was staying in a dorm, breakfast was free - kind of like a buffet where you can choose the foods that you like. I opted for eggs, bacon, a slice of toast, and coffee. I noticed that the toaster took awhile, so going forward, I'd try to start the toast first before getting the rest of my meal. After getting all of my food, I scanned the tables in the dining area to find someone to socialize with. I quickly noticed Inseong and Kim Yoonyoung. I went to sit with them, and we chat about things happening in our lives. Around 8:20, I figured it was getting close to time to attend the tournament, so I told them that I'd head to the playing area - and so, I did.

Given that it was the first game of the US Open, I was a little nervous. On one hand, I hadn't prepared for the tournament much, so it was hard to expect a good result. On the other hand, I was playing as 2d, so maybe I'd have a chance - at the last Cotsen, I played as 3d, so it might be easier than that time. But then again, I had a bad result at the Cotsen, which is why my rank dropped from 3d to 2d... Only time would tell if I'd be able to compete at this level in my current unstudied state.

A bit before 9am, pairings were posted, and I checked my opponent. I was black, so I'd be able to use the new opening I'd tried the day before against Tony Cha. I didn't recognize my opponent, but it looked like a Chinese name. I paced around a bit, grabbed some water, and tried to focus. I grabbed a coffee, too.

At 9am, games began, and I invoked my new opening. The only time I'd actually played this opening was the day before, but it seemed to work out then. Unfortunately, I quickly found myself in a tough situation:

[go]$$W tough situation
$$ | . . . O . . . . . , . . . . . X . . . |
$$ | . . O . . . . . X . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . X . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . O . X O . O O . . . . . , . . . |
$$ | . . . . . X . . O X O O O . X . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . O X X X X . . . . . . . |
$$ ---------------------------------------[/go]

(I was black)

At this point, it was clear that my intentions had been spoiled: the intent was to attack my opponent, but instead, I was pressed down on the second line, just trying to live... Not a good result. Since I was a little flustered, I got up to walk around. I went to the restroom, refilled on water, and tried to calm down a little bit.

I came back to the game, and we played out a few more moves. I got to a point where I felt somewhat comfortable with the game, once I captured these 3 stones (upon later reviewing with Inseong, capturing the 3 stones may have been the smaller target - I should have aimed at the larger group):
[go]$$W Moves 60 to 62
$$ | . . . O . . . . . , . . . . . X . . . |
$$ | . . X . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . O . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . 1 . . 4 . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . O X . 3 2 . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . X . O . . . X . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . O . . . O X X X O O . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . O X . X X O . O X O . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . O O . X O O O O . . . . . , . . . |
$$ | . X X O . X O O O X O O O . X . . . . |
$$ | . . . X X . X O X X X X X . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . X O O X . . . . . . . . . . |

The game proceeded naturally, and I aimed to get points. I figured that the capture in the center prevented white from getting too much there, so if I got more points on the corners and side, I'd have a good chance. Things went alright until I aimed at killing the group on the right here:
[go]$$B Moves 125 to 125
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . O X X . . . . |
$$ | . X X X . X X . . . . X O O X . . . . |
$$ | . X O O O O . . . O . O . O . X . . . |
$$ | . O O . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . X . . . . . . . . . . . . . X . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . O . |
$$ | . . O . . . . . . . . . . . . X . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . X O . . |
$$ | . . . , . . O O . , . . . . X O O . . |
$$ | . . . O . X X O . . . . . . . X O . . |
$$ | . . . O X X O X X . . . . . . X . 1 . |
$$ | . . . . X . O . . . X X O . . . . . . |
$$ | . . O . . . O X X X O O . O . X . . . |
$$ | . . O X . X X O . O X O X O . . . X . |
$$ | . . O O . X O O O O . . O X X X X O X |
$$ | . X X O . X O O O X O O O O X O O O . |
$$ | . . . X X . X O X X X X X X O O . . . |
$$ | . . . . . X O O X . . . . X . . O . . |

After the sequence that followed, I realized I was too weak on the outside. Furthermore, despite how silly it was, I didn't defend the top right corner. As a result, if I wanted to keep sente, it left white with the clamp in the top right to greatly reduce the corner territory. I felt behind. White had great potential on the left, and it seemed like I was losing now.
[go]$$W Moves 140 to 140
$$ | . X O O O O . . . O . O . O . X . . . |
$$ | . O O . . . . . . . . . . . . . . X . |
$$ | . . X . . . . . . . . . . . X X X O X |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . X O O O 1 |
$$ | . . O . . . . . . . . . . . . X . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . X O . O |
$$ | . . . , . . O O . , . . . . X O O . . |
$$ | . . . O . X X O . . . . . . . X O O O |
$$ | . . . O X X O X X . . . . . . X O X . |
$$ | . . . . X . O . . . X X O . . . X X . |

I was a little sad to end my first game this way, so I invaded deeply into the left like this:
[go]$$B Moves 141 to 150
$$ | . X O O O O 1 . . O . O . O . X . . . |
$$ | . O O . . . 2 . . . . . . . . . . X . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . X O O O O |
$$ | . . O 6 . . . . . . . . . . . X . . . |
$$ | . . 5 . 3 . . . . . . . . . . X O . O |
$$ | . . . , 7 4 O O . , . . . . X O O . . |
$$ | . . B O 8 X X O . . . . . . . X O O O |
$$ | . . . O X X O X X . . . . . . X O X . |
$$ | . . 0 9 X . O . . . X X O . . . X X . |

but it seemed difficult to make two eyes with all of the white stones all around. Fortunately for me, it seems that my opponent made an overplay with this move:
[go]$$W Moves 168 to 168
$$ | . X O O O O X . . O . O . O . X . . . |
$$ | . O O . . . O O X . . . . . . . . X . |
$$ | . X X O . . X . 1 . . . . . X X X O X |
$$ | . O . . . . . X X O . . . . X O O O O |
$$ | . . O O X . X O O . . . . . . X . . . |
$$ | . . X . X . X . . . . . . . . X O . O |
$$ | . . . , X O O O . O . . . . X O O . . |
$$ | . . X O O X X O . . . . . . . X O O O |
$$ | . . O O X X O X X . . . . . . X O X . |
$$ | . . O X X . O . . . X X O . . . X X . |

As a result, this sequence followed:
[go]$$B Moves 169 to 178
$$ | . X X X 9 X X 0 . . . X O O X . . . . |
$$ | . X O O O O X 4 . O . O . O . X . . . |
$$ | . O O . 6 3 O O X . . . . . . . . X . |
$$ | . X X O . 7 X 1 O 2 . . . . X X X O X |
$$ | . O . . . 5 . X X O . . . . X O O O O |
$$ | . . X . X 8 X . . . . . . . . X O . O |

[go]$$B Moves 179 to 188
$$ | . X X X X X X O . . . X O O X . . . . |
$$ | 5 X O O O O X O . O . O . O . X . . . |
$$ | 1 O O . O X O O X . . . . . . . . X . |
$$ | 3 X X O 6 X X X O O . . . . X X X O X |
$$ | 4 O 2 8 7 X . X X O . . . . X O O O O |
$$ | . 9 X 0 X O X . . . . . . . . X O . O |

[go]$$B Moves 189 to 198
$$ | . X X X X X X O . . . X O O X . . . . |
$$ | X X O O O O X O . O . O . O . X . . . |
$$ | X O O . O X O O X . . . . . . . . X . |
$$ | X X X O O X X X O O . . . . X X X O X |
$$ | O O O O X X . X X O . . . . X O O O O |
$$ | . 5 O O X . X O O . . . . . . X . . . |
$$ | 4 X X O X O X . . . . . . . . X O . O |
$$ | . 2 3 1 X O O O . O . . . . X O O . . |

And I won the game. Whew! It was a game that I "won", but not one that I won well. If it hadn't been for my opponent's overplay, I can't imagine how I would have recovered. But anyway, it was a fun game, and after recording the result, I headed downstairs to the 2nd floor, where I saw Inseong.

Inseong was happy to review our games, and soon, a crew of AYD members started to show up. In total, about 30 AYD members came to the US Go Congress, so quite a crowd started to build up. We decided that this room on the 2nd floor would be the de facto AYD review room: after playing our games, we could review them with Inseong there.

After reviewing AYD games for awhile, I headed to one of Kim Yoonyoung's lectures. It was held in a different building, but it wasn't too difficult to find. The topic of the lecture was capturing races, and the format was very straightforward: she had a bunch of problems, and she'd ask us to solve them by saying answers out loud. I liked this format, because:
1.) I like solving problems.
2.) I personally made it a game to try to quickly solve problems, faster than others in the room. It was like a race to get the right answer.
We drilled for a couple of hours on capturing race problems, and that concluded the lecture.

After the lecture, I noticed that Inseong had sent an email about an AYD gathering on the terrace, which was going to be held in the evening. I socialized with folks for a little while, and then met up with the AYD crew to have our gathering. Kim Yoonyoung is not part of the AYD, but she was invited by Inseong, so she came anyway. On the way to the terrace, she complimented me on my problem solving for capturing races.

When we got to the terrace, we pulled together about 8 tables to accommodate everybody. Inseong ordered several pitchers of beer (about 10?), and we all drank and chat together. Up until this time, my interaction with everybody had been in English. But sometimes when I drink, I'm inclined to speak in other languages (namely, Korean or Japanese, depending on who's there). So I struck up conversation with Kim Yoonyoung in Korean. She was pretty surprised, and was happy to chat with me. She told me that, for the remainder of the congress, I should speak to her in Korean instead of English for better practice.

We talked about various topics ranging from go to family. Typically, I speak with Inseong in English, but I started chatting with him in Korean, too. I was having a lot of fun practicing speaking, so that continued for several hours. AYD members gradually started leaving until it was just a few of us left. Inseong wanted to take a picture of all of the empty pitchers, and then we started heading back to the dorms. On the way, Inseong told me about some sort of buddhist youtube channel he watches sometimes, and something about the fact that someone that's too drunk doesn't admit that they're drunk. I think he was indirectly telling me that I had drank too much.

Since I'm somewhat honest, I told Inseong at that time that I hadn't joined the AYD to improve at go this time. I told him that being in the AYD and going to go congresses, rather, reminded me of good times - like in 2015 when I was studying go well, and before my son got sick. I'm not sure if he understood what I was trying to express, but it was nice to chat again like old times.

We soon arrived back at the dorms, and I went to my room. Christian was still up, and we chat for awhile. Around 1am, I went to bed, to at least get some sleep before game 2 the next day.

This post by Kirby was liked by 3 people: Joaz Banbeck, Shenoute, yoyoma

Post #1406 Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:02 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 43
Was liked: 139
[go]$$B Moves 141 to 150
$$ | . X O O O O 1 . . O . O . O . X . . . |
$$ | . O O . . . 2 . . . . . . . . . . X . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . X O O O O |
$$ | . . O 6 . . . . . . . . . . . X . . . |
$$ | . . 5 . 3 . . . . . . . . . . X O . O |
$$ | . . . , 7 4 O O . , . . . . X O O . . |
$$ | . . B O 8 X X O . . . . . . . X O O O |
$$ | . . a O X X O X X . . . . . . X O X . |
$$ | . . 0 9 X . O . . . X X O . . . X X . |

Did you omit a stone in this diagram? I would have thought :b11: at a would be obvious here.

Post #1407 Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:32 pm 
Honinbo

11 is the marked black stone, but I didn’t want to make a separate diagram for it.

Post #1408 Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:43 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 43
Was liked: 139
Oh. :oops: I should have known I was missing something obvious.

Post #1409 Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:46 am 
Honinbo

Day 3

I woke up in the morning a little groggy - maybe a bit of a hangover from the night before. Again, I woke up around 6am from the noise outside. I actually woke up a couple of other times throughout the night, and got up to get water - probably from too much drinking. So I was a little tired. But just like the day before, it was hard to sleep again, so I did a few go problems. Despite being tired, compared to the day before, I felt like I could solve the problems more easily. I felt a bit sharper. Maybe I was getting into tournament mode.

After taking a shower and cleaning up a bit, I headed over to the dining hall around 7:30am. The toaster takes awhile to cook, so I started toast, then got the rest of my food, along with a coffee. Then, I scanned the dining hall for somebody to chat with. I ended up finding Stephen Hu, who's been pretty active in the broadcasting scene, lately. I sat down at the table and struck up a conversation. Stephen had a lot to say about broadcasting, and we chat about the recent Transatlantic Go controvery. I let him know that I sometimes play the devil's advocate on the L19 forums, so the views that I write don't necessarily represent my exact feelings :-) He was pretty cheerful about the whole matter, and considered the event to be a success. We also chat about his study abroad in Germany, his life in Europe, and how he'll be returning for his senior year in college this fall.

When it came close to time for the tournament, I headed over to the hall, again. As usual in the mornings, folks were wandering in and about the playing hall, and I ran into Brady from the "Brady's Blunder's" YouTube channel. "We're playing," he told me, to my surprise. I hadn't played Brady before, but in past congresses, he's been pretty friendly to me, inviting me to social activities that folks were involved in. Most of the time, I play strangers in tournaments, so playing someone I knew would be an important match. It wasn't time to start, yet, and Brady joked to some of his friends that he was going down in rank, and I was going up, so we'd be meeting in the middle. He was just playing around, but I felt a little bit more pressure about the upcoming match.

It came time to play, and we sat down to begin the match. My opening pattern hadn't worked that well for me the day before, so I had been contemplating whether to play something I was more familiar with, like the mini-Chinese. But this time, I was white, so I wouldn't have to worry about the opening strategy as much - I'd adapt to how Brady decided to play.

And after a few moves, I had to chuckle to myself about Brady's choice of opening:
[go]$$B Brady's Choice
$$ | . . . . 3 . . . . . . . . 5 . . . . . |
$$ | . . . , . . . . . , 7 . . . . 2 . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6 . . |
$$ | . . . 1 . . . . . , . . . . . , . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4 . . . |

Well, what do you know? It was the same opening that I had prepared for yesterday's game. It was somewhat amusing to me that Brady opted to play this opening, after I had studied it - albeit just a little bit.

I considered the variations I was familiar with in this opening, and thought about the one that I liked the least as black. I decided that I didn't like variations where black got a moyo, because the strategy was unclear as to how to make use of it. At that point, it'd come down to middle game, and it'd be harder for black to take advantage of some sort of an opening strategy.

So I played the 3-3, and the shape ended up like this:

[go]$$W Moves 16 to 16
$$ | . . O . X . . . . . . . . X . . . . . |
$$ | . . . O X . . . . , X . . . . O . . . |
$$ | . . O X . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . O X . . . . . . . . . . . . O . . |
$$ | . . . X . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . 1 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . X . . . . . , . . . . . , . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . O . . . |

OK, so far so good. I have solid territory, and black has a moyo with an undefined value. I'd focus on reducing that later in the middle game.

Then, Brady defended here, which seemed pretty good:
[go]$$W Moves 16 to 16
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . c . . . |
$$ | . b . . . . . . . . . . . . . a . . . |
$$ | . . . X . . d . . , . . . . . , . . . |
$$ | . . . . . B . . . . . . . . . O . . . |

Thinking about big points on the board, a~d come to mind. I had solid points in the top left, black had a decent position on the bottom, and a good moyo on the top. During the game, I remember thinking that the biggest point was to defend on or around 'a'. And I still believe that to be the case...

But, I didn't play there, because I wanted to try out a move that I had seen played by both LZ and Elf. Namely, I wanted to try out this variation, because I had seen it on my computer a few days before, but hadn't played it yet:

[go]$$B
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2 . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 . . . |
$$ | . . . . . X . . . . . . a . . O 3 . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . b . . |

Normally, in the position above, I see white play at 'a' or 'b'. But interestingly, I've seen both LZ and Elf choose this variation:

[go]$$W
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . O . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . X . . . |
$$ | . . . X . . . . . , . . . 1 . 2 . 4 . |
$$ | . . . . . X . . . . 5 . . . 3 O X . . |

I don't know if it's good on this board position or not, but I wanted to try it out, because I had never played :w1:, above, before.

So, I opted to play in the top right corner instead, in preparation for this. Besides, it'd reduce the effect of black's moyo, too, since it leaves a followup on top:

[go]$$W Moves 16 to 16
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . W . . . |
$$ | . . . . . X . . . . . . . . . O . . . |

Well, as luck may have it, Brady didn't play according to my plans, and played here instead:
[go]$$W Moves 16 to 16
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . B . . |
$$ | . . . . . X . . . . . . . . . O . . . |

Bummer. So basically:
1. I played in a slower area
2. I didn't get to practice the variation I wanted to, anyway

So I felt a bit of a loss. To make it up, I thought I should try to get sente here, and then play in the bottom left. But unfortunately, I lost sente:

[go]$$W Moves 20 to 29
$$ | . . a . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . 0 , . . . . . , . . . . . , . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4 . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6 5 . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8 . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2 X 7 . |
$$ | . . . X . . . . . , . . . . . , 1 9 . |
$$ | . . . . . X . . . . . . . 3 . O . . . |

As soon as Brady played :b10:, above, I could tell that I had "lost" the opening. The left seemed a lot bigger than what I played, and black was a lot faster.

Despite this, I should have endured, and maybe bumped at 'a' or something. But I freaked out, misread, and fell further behind:

[go]$$W Moves 30 to 39
$$ | . 5 4 X . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . 7 O 1 2 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . 6 8 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . X 3 . . . . . , . . . . . , . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . X . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . X O . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . X . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . X X O . |
$$ | . . . X . . . . . , . . . . . , O O . |
$$ | . . . . . X . . . . . . . O . O . . . |

What a disaster.

Anyway, the game didn't feel good, but I thought I'd still have a chance if I capitalized on making points. I had a good amount of points in 3 corners, and maybe I could catch up.

That's the strategy I adopted for the next several moves. Here's the board position a little while later:
[go]$$W Moves 60 to 69
$$ | . . O . X . . . . X O . . X . . . . . |
$$ | . . . O X . . . X X X O . . . O . . . |
$$ | . . O X . X . . . X O O . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . O X . O . . . . . . . . . . O . . |
$$ | . O X X . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . O O O X . . . . . 6 . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . X X . . . . . . . . . . . O . . |
$$ | . . X O . . . . . , . . . . . , . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . X O O . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . X . X . |
$$ | . 2 X . . . . . . . . . . . . X X O . |
$$ | . . O X X . . . . , . X X . . , O O . |
$$ | . 1 . O . X . . . . . . O O . O . . . |
$$ | . . 5 . 3 4 . . . . . . . . . . . . . |

Alright, I had a good amount of points, but black had nice center potential. I set about trying to reduce it here:
[go]$$W Moves 66 to 68
$$ | . . O X 2 X . . . X O O . . . . . . . |
$$ | . O X X 1 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . O O O X . . . . . X . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . X X . . . . . . . . . . . O . . |
$$ | . . X O . . . . . , . . . . . , . . . |
$$ | . . 3 . . . . . . . . . . . . . X . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . X O O . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . X . X . |
$$ | . X X . . . . . . . . . . . . X X O . |
$$ | . . O X X . . . . , . X X . . , O O . |
$$ | . O . O . X . . . . . . O O . O . . . |
$$ | . . O . O X . . . . . . . . . . . . . |

The rest of the game became an effort for me to reduce black's shape in the center. Later, the board position became like this:

[go]$$ last that I remember
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . X . . . O . . . |
$$ | . . O X X X . . . X O O . . . . . . . |
$$ | . O X X O . . . . . . . O . . . . . . |
$$ | . O O O X X . . . . X X . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . O X X X X O . . . . . X . . O . . |
$$ | . . X O O X X X . , . . . O X , . . . |
$$ | . . O O X O X O . X . . . . . . X . . |
$$ | . . . . X O O . O . . . . . . . X . . |
$$ | . . . . X X O . . X . . O . . X O O . |
$$ | . . O O X O X O . . O X X . . X . X . |
$$ | X X X . . . X . . . . . . . . X X O . |
$$ | . O O X X . . . . O . X X O . , O O . |
$$ | . O . O . X . . . . . X O O . O . . . |
$$ | . . O . O X . . . . . . . . . . . . . |

I don't record my games as I play - instead, I try to remember them, and play them out after the game is finished. When I try to record on a device as I play, I can't concentrate enough. Unfortunately, this was about as far as I could remember in the game record. Why don't I remember the rest of the moves? I guess I didn't put enough thought behind them.

By this point in the game, I had been in my last period of byo-yomi for quite some time, so I didn't have a lot of time to think for each move. So I don't remember exactly what I played, or exactly how Brady responded.

But the result was this:
1. Somehow, by miracle, I created a ko for the group in the center. I think Brady had chance to kill everything, but we were both in byo-yomi, so meh.
2. As a result of the ko in the center, I was able to keep about half of the group - he killed the other half.
3. In the end, I lost by a half point.

Greg, Brady's friend, was watching the game. He told me I got a lot back in the endgame, but there was one final chance for me to turn the game around: on the left side, I played an endgame move that gained nothing for me, but gave black a 1-point sente move. He said that pretty much playing any other endgame move would have been better, and I would have gotten the 1 extra point I needed to win the game.

That's interesting to know, but I should also note that the only reason it became close to begin with was because I was lucky in getting a ko. I shouldn't have played so slow, so overall, I think I played several other mistakes that made me undeserving of winning this game.

Still, it was painful:
1. I don't like losing.
2. It hurts more for me to lose against someone that I know.
3. It hurts even more to lose against someone that I know, the first time that we play.

I felt pretty depressed. Now, there was no chance for me to win all of the games, and I overall felt sad.

I thanked Brady for the game, and headed to the 2nd floor to show Inseong the game. He explained some of the slow moves that I made, and noted that this game wasn't according to my typical playing style: usually, I don't go for territory, and think more about strength/weakness of stones.

I lamented my loss to others that I saw, and went to grab something to eat. I hadn't prepared much for this congress, so it was unreasonable for me to expect to win all of my games. But I still felt pretty down in the dumps. I went to another one of Kim Yoonyoung's lectures, and then chat with some other folks.

During that time, I got another email from Inseong saying that they'd go out to the terrace to drink again, but that it'd be more "casual" - whatever that meant. I like hanging out with Inseong, so when it got to be around 7pm, I headed over to the terrace. There were fewer people at the gathering this time, but overall, I just didn't feel like chatting as much. The night before, I was happy to chat for as long as anybody else, but today, I just felt down in the dumps about losing. I was pretty quiet, and decided to head in around 9:30pm. Inseong noted that I hadn't talked much, and I mumbled something about being tired, and sadly walked back to the dorms.

Christian was there playing some sort of computer game, so I chat briefly, and then went to bed. It was a sad day compared to the day before.

This post by Kirby was liked by: Shenoute

Post #1410 Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:41 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 81
Was liked: 128
KGS: lepore
Hi Brian,

I think you've transposed the colors in the first diagram (of Game 2).

My game finished a little early that day, and I remember catching glimpses of your game with Brady as his massive center came into focus. I wondered how you were going to reduce it enough, and you almost did. Nothing to hang your head over.

Last edited by mhlepore on Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post #1411 Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:08 pm 
Honinbo

Thanks, Mike. I updated the diagram. Also, I agree that it was an interesting game, and I don't feel as bad about it now. I'm trying to capture my feeling during that day, though, and throughout Monday, I was definitely disappointed.

Post #1412 Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:41 am 
Honinbo

Day 4

I woke up around 6am for the third day in a row to the sound of traffic outside my window. In contrast to the last two days, though, I felt refreshed. Yes, I had drank a bit last night, but nothing compared to Sunday night. Furthermore, I had gotten plenty of sleep - even more that I typically get at home.

I glanced over at the other bed - Christian was still sleeping soundly. As I scanned the room, my eyes fell upon the Life & Death book that I had gone through each morning for the last couple of days. I briefly considered doing some problems, but as the thought entered my mind, a wave of melancholy swept over me, and I quickly lost any motivation to do problems - I had lost to Brady the day before, and I simply didn't feel in the mood to study.

I recounted the reasons I had come to the US Go Congress:
1. To play and study go
2. To socialize with go friends that I only see once a year

I thought to myself that goals of doing well in the tournament had been pretty much extinguished, but I could at least enjoy myself by socializing and finding folks to chat with. So I cleaned up a bit, and went to the dining hall early. Armed with a cup of coffee and a tray of food, I scanned the dining hall, and decided to sit next to Mike, mhlepore here on the L19 forums.

We chat for awhile, and I complained about my loss to Brady. Having seen the game, he offered encouragement, much like he did here on this forum. He told me that he may have been the subject of Brady's first "Brady's Blunders" video (he played a 5-4 joseki, if I recall). We chat about family, and somehow got to the topic of how Mike has stopped using social media. I found that fascinating, since I am prone to wasting a lot of time on Facebook. It was interesting enough that, after our discussion, I went ahead and deactivated my Facebook account - I didn't go as far as deleting it, because I have a number of photos stored there. But since that discussion, I haven't used the site, which has given me extra time to spend on other things throughout the day.

Eventually, I made my way to the playing hall, but I didn't have the same level of enthusiasm as I had before: I had lost to Brady. I embarrassed, disappointed, and sad all at the same time. Pairings came up, and I was paired with a guy named Harvey. I'd be playing black. At this point, I didn't want to try any sort of special strategy - I'd just go with the mini-Chinese, since I'm mostly familiar with it. I grabbed some coffee from downstairs, and then got some water. It was coming close to 9am, so I went and sat down at my board, where Harvey was already sitting.

At that point, I noticed Brady, who was standing near our board. He had kindly decided to come and wish me good luck on my game. It was probably a bit rude, but I was still sour from losing, so I kind of shrugged, and looked down at my lap. At that point, it was time to begin our games: the room quieted down, and we began.

I was lacking motivation to play, so I played the first several moves without thinking much, as if on autopilot:
[go]$$B Moves 11 to 20
$$ | . . 3 4 . . . . . . . 9 . O . . . . . |
$$ | . . 5 O . . . . . O . 0 . . . X . . . |
$$ | . . . 6 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . 7 1 . . . . . . . . . . . . X . . . |
$$ | . . . . 8 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . 2 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . O . . . . . , . . . . . , X . . |
$$ | . . . . . X . . . . X . . . . . . . . |

But then, my autopilot came to a hault when I realized that I was playing a variation that required a ladder, which I didn't have:
[go]$$B Moves 21 to 22
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . 4 . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . X O . . . . . . 2 X . O . . . . . |
$$ | . . X O . . . . . O 1 O . . . X . . . |
$$ | . . . O . . . . . . 3 . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . X X . . . . . . . . . . . . X . . . |
$$ | . . . . O . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |

For the first time in the game, I paused to think. My thoughts were a little bit negative, "Jeez - you already screwed up the game," I thought to myself.

I decided that I'd try to get some benefit on the left by making some sort of ladder breaker. My thought was something like this:
[go]$$B Moves 21 to 22
$$ | . . X O . . . . . . O X . O . . . . . |
$$ | . . X O . . . . . O X O . . . X . . . |
$$ | . . . O . . . . . . X . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . 1 O 3 . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . O 2 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |

It'd be a loss on the left, but maybe I could recover the ladder mistake I made. Anyway, my opponent ignored my threat, and continued to take advantage of the ladder situation on top:

[go]$$B Moves 25 to 26
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . O . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . O . . . . . 2 X . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . 1 O . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |

It seemed pretty big, so I continued:
[go]$$B Moves 25 to 34
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . 6 O . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . X O . . . . 8 5 O X . O . . . . . |
$$ | . . X O . . . . 9 O X O 4 . . X . . . |
$$ | . . . O . . . . 0 2 X 3 . . . . . . . |
$$ | . X X . . . . . . 7 . . . . . X . . . |
$$ | . . . 1 O . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |

[go]$$B Moves 35 to 39
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . O O . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . X O . . . . O X O X . O . . . . . |
$$ | . . X O . . . . X O X O O . . X . . . |
$$ | . . . O . . . 2 O O X X a . . . . . . |
$$ | . X X . . . . . 1 X . . . 3 . X . . . |
$$ | . . . X O . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . O 5 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . 4 . . . . . . . . . . . . . |

The end shape wasn't great - and :b3: probably should be at 'a', above (there are weaknesses in my shape). But It didn't seem like the end of the world - still a playable game, now.

He played some questionable moves on the right - and I probably shouldn't have wedged. But the result turned out relatively OK a little bit later:
[go]$$W Moves 40 to 49
$$ | . . . O . . . O O O X X . . . . . . . |
$$ | . X X . . . . . X X . . . X . X . . . |
$$ | . . O X . . . . . . . . . . . 6 . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3 4 1 . . |
$$ | . . . , . . . . . , . . . . . 5 2 8 . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0 7 9 . |
$$ | . . . . . O . . . . . . . . . . . . . |

I gained some points by pressuring his group, and also some influence in the center:
[go]$$W Moves 60 to 69
$$ | . . . O . . . O O O X X . . . . . . . |
$$ | . X X . . . . . X X . . . X . X . . . |
$$ | . . O X . . . . . . . . . . . X . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . O X O X . |
$$ | . . . , . . . . . , . . . . O O X X . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . X . X O O . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . X . X . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . O O O . . |
$$ | . . O . . . . . . . . . 4 5 . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . O . . . . . . 6 . . . 8 . . |
$$ | . . . O . . . . . , . . . 3 O 7 X . . |
$$ | . . . . . X . . . . X . . 1 X 2 . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . 9 . . 0 . . |

And before long, I had made a decent shape in the center:
[go]$$W Moves 80 to 89
$$ | . . . O . . 9 O O O X X . . . . . . . |
$$ | . X X . . . . 8 X X . . . X . X . . . |
$$ | . . O X . . . . . . . . . . . X . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . O X O X . |
$$ | . . 5 , . . . . . , . . . . O O X X . |
$$ | . . 7 6 . . . . 4 . . . . X . X O O . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . X O O O . . |
$$ | . . O . . . . . . . . . X O O . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . O . . . 2 X . X X O . X . . |
$$ | . . . O . . . . . X O O . O O O X . . |
$$ | . . 0 . . X . . X O X . . O X X . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . 3 1 . . . O . . X . . |

At this point in the game, I felt I had a decent number of points - the 3-3 areas seemed to be the last remaining places - fortunately, I was able to get them both:

[go]$$W Moves 100 to 103
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . O O . . . 4 . . . |
$$ | . . . O . . O O O O X X . . . . . . . |
$$ | . X X . . . . X X X . . . X . X . . . |
$$ | . . . X O . O . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . O X . . O X . . . . . . . X . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . X . . . . . . O X O X . |
$$ | . . O , . 1 . . . , . . . . O O X X . |
$$ | . . O X . 3 2 . X . . . . X . X O O . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . X O O O . . |
$$ | . . O . . . . . . . . . X O O . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . O . . . X X . X X O . X . . |
$$ | . . O O . . . . . X O O . O O O X . . |
$$ | . O X O . X . . X O X . . O X X . . . |
$$ | . X X X . . . . O O . . . O . . X . . |

The game became comfortable, and I ended up winning. It wasn't a great game, and I can't say that I had the same level of effort as I had in previous games. But somehow, winning again had cheered me up a little bit - I guess I'm shallow with these types of things.

For the first two games, I had put a lot of thought into them - I was usually in byo-yomi relatively early on, and would play until 12:30 or 1:00pm. Today, though, I had been so apathetic, that the game had finished early - it was only about 10:40am - about 2 hours sooner than I usually finish.

So I watched some other games for a little bit, and then headed downstairs to the second floor. Inseong wasn't there, yet - he was doing his reviews at 3:00pm. But I saw Josh Lee, a good friend of mine. He'd been TD-ing the Masters' tournament, and I guess he had some free time. He's about 4d on KGS, and he's a pretty good reviewer. He asked to see the game from today, so I showed it to him. He brought up several good points, though, one interesting idea was in the opening, which I hadn't considered.

In my autopilot state, I went into the 3-3 automatically here:
[go]$$B Moves 11 to 20
$$ | . . 3 4 . . . . . . . . . O . . . . . |
$$ | . . 5 O . . . . . O . . . . . X . . . |
$$ | . . . 6 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . 7 1 . . . . . . . . . . . . X . . . |

Seemed fine to me. But he recommended jumping here, and then invading the 3-3 on the bottom left to make it less valuable:
[go]$$B Moves 11 to 20
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . O . . . . . |
$$ | . . . O . 4 . . . O . . . . . X . . . |
$$ | . . 1 . 3 . . . . . . . . . . X . . . |
$$ | . . 2 8 9 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . 6 5 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . 0 7 . . . . . , . . . . . , . . . |

[go]$$B Moves 11 to 20
$$ | . . . O . O . . . O . . . . . X . . . |
$$ | . . X . X . . . . . . . . . . X . . . |
$$ | . . O O X . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . O X . . . . . , . . . . . , . . . |
$$ | . . . 1 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . W . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . 3 . . X . . . . X . . . . . . . . |

I think his point was that a "normal" variation like this might make the marked white stone a little bit weird - maybe it means white won't play at :w2:, and will extend instead. Anyway, it seemed like an interesting option. If nothing else, I hadn't considered it.

After chatting with Josh a little bit more, I was getting a little hungry. I don't like eating alone, though, so I went downstairs to the various restaurants and searched for go players. I found a couple of guys from Tennessee, one of whom (Anthony), I know from the AYD. He was there with his friend Jake.

What stuck out to me was Jake's rank - he was 4d. But just in 2017, I had done well against Jake in San Diego as a 1d. I was curious about his jump in 3 ranks, and I asked him about it. He attributed it solely to attending BIBA for about 3 months after we had played in 2017. That was pretty fascinating to me, so I asked him about various aspects of attending.

I decided to head back up to the playing area to socialize more. I chat again with my friend Matt, who had been my rival from around 15 years ago. He was having a 2:1 result as a 2k, and seemed to be having fun.

When it got to be around 3:00pm, Inseong showed up for reviews. He asked about my game result, and I told him that I had won. But today, he indicated that he'd be doing reviews for folks that hadn't had reviews on other days. I had already had my game reviewed earlier, so I just sat and watched as he reviewed other folks' games. In total, there were about 30 AYD-ers attending the US Go Congress, and a good portion of them showed up for the review there.

After the reviews, Inseong asked what I was doing for dinner. I told him that I'd just find a place. He said that he'd check out what was available, and then decide if he was going to eat according to the meal plan. He ended up eating from the meal plan. I didn't buy the meal plan, so I got together with dfan from L19, and we went out to the terrace to eat and chat. I had a burger and beer.

Later that evening, Inseong's lecture was scheduled for 7:00pm. I decided to attend - it was another edition of his Go Avengers lecture, and he talked about AlphaGo. It was somewhat interesting, and I enjoyed the content - I took a few notes, and kept them for reference.

After the lecture, I was wondering if somebody would be doing something in the evening. I had been depressed the night before, so I hadn't chat much when I was out with Inseong and other AYD-ers. I was in a much better mood today, so I was interested in socializing and hanging out. I decided I'd go back to the playing area, then check the terrace later to see if anybody was out there.

That was the plan, but as I entered the Union building, Josh Lee called out to me, "Brian! We're going to Hopcats! Come along - help me carry these stones". I helped him carry some stones, and he kept carrying the board that he had. After further inquiry, I realized that Josh, Andrew Hall, and a few other folks were going to the bar to drink and play go - it seemed like a good opportunity, since Wednesday was the day off. So I agreed to go with them. As we walked, whenever we saw go players, Josh would invite them to come - though, most folks declined.

When we arrived at the bar, I saw Max, a 6d player who was playing in the Masters' tournament. He was the only one there so far. We chat for a little bit, and talked about our regular lives. I wasn't particularly hungry, since I had been eating a lot, but we all ordered drinks.

A couple of other folks (dfan, Andrew Hall, and others) started to show up, and Max challenged me to a game. I accepted a game at 3-stones, and tried hard to win. The game was somewhat casual, and I don't remember the game record, but somehow - I won! I kept drinking throughout, and was starting to feel a little tipsy. Max wanted a "revenge match", so he challenged me again with the same handicap at 3 stones.

I have even less chance of remembering that game than the one before, because by this time, I had had quite a few drinks. But I recall massively screwing up this variation in the bottom left:

[go]$$W screwup
$$ | . . 2 X 7 6 . . . , . . . . . , . . . |
$$ | . . 1 3 5 4 . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . 9 0 . . . . . . . . . . . . |

[go]$$W screwup
$$ | . 2 . 1 X . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . X X O X . . . , . . . . . , . . . |
$$ | . . O O O X . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . O X . . . . . . . . . . . . |

I don't remember what happened next exactly. I do remember that I lived, but he got some nice profit from it... And I ended up losing the game.

In contrast to my game against Brady, I felt (almost) no pain or disappointment. Maybe it was because Max was 6d. Maybe it was because I had already won a game. Or maybe it was because I had already downed several drinks. Whatever the case, I was having a good time.

By this time, I realized that dfan was playing a rengo-ish game against Josh Lee and a 6k. Josh and the 6k were alternativing moves, and dfan was playing all of the moves on his side. It was a little unsoliciated, but maybe because of my state of mind, I felt it upon myself to try to help dfan out. I tried suggesting moves, and we captured some of their stones. I felt good about the success, but I don't think dfan appreciated that I crashed his game.

I don't remember all of the other things that happened that night, but eventually, I headed back. I remember getting separated from the rest of the group, and I asked a nearby hotel for a map. Somehow, I made it back to the dormatory.

One thing that I haven't mentioned until now is that I don't have a smartphone. I do, however, have an iPod that works for messaging with a WiFi connection. Since I was back in the dormatory area, the WiFi was working, again. I realized that Inseong had left me a message that he and some of the Korean pros were getting together for the evening, and he invited me to join - it was from several hours earlier.

I was disappointed that I had missed out, but at the same time, I had fun out with Josh, dfan, and Andrew. I drank some water to try to get more hydrated, and quickly fell asleep.

Post #1413 Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:29 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
[go]$$B Kosumitsuke
$$ | . . . O . 4 . . . O . . . . . X . . . |
$$ | . . 6 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . 1 . 3 . . . . . . . . . . X . . . |
$$ | . . . 5 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . , . . . . . , . . . |
$$ | . . W . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |

Isn't this better for White than crawling?

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #1414 Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:49 am 
Honinbo

Probably

Post #1415 Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 886
Was liked: 527
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
Kirby wrote:
By this time, I realized that dfan was playing a rengo-ish game against Josh Lee and a 6k. Josh and the 6k were alternativing moves, and dfan was playing all of the moves on his side. It was a little unsoliciated, but maybe because of my state of mind, I felt it upon myself to try to help dfan out. I tried suggesting moves, and we captured some of their stones. I felt good about the success, but I don't think dfan appreciated that I crashed his game.

I hope you believed me when I told you later that it wasn't a big deal!

By that time I had realized that the way to play against a 6d/6k rengo pair, if you are just a single player on your side, is to play ko threats against the 6d and the "real game" against the 6k. In addition to the fact that it increased my chance of winning, it also frustrated Josh the 6d, which was a nice side effect. :)

Post #1416 Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:24 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 490
Was liked: 365
Kirby wrote:
I decided that I'd try to get some benefit on the left by making some sort of ladder breaker. My thought was something like this:
[go]$$B Moves 21 to 22
$$ | . . . 1 O 3 . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . O 2 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |

[go]$$Bc Go Seigen approves (via A way of Play for the 21st Century)
$$ | . . O . 1 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |

This post by SoDesuNe was liked by: Bill Spight

Post #1417 Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:30 pm 
Honinbo

Looks like better shape than what I played in the game. Does the book have a follow up for the hane?

[go]$$Bc Go Seigen approves (via A way of Play for the 21st Century)
$$ | . . O . 1 2 . . . . . . . . . . . . . |

My gut instinct is to crosscut, but not sure.

Post #1418 Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:32 pm 
Honinbo

dfan wrote:
Kirby wrote:

I hope you believed me when I told you later that it wasn't a big deal!

Totally! For these posts, I’m trying to convey the thoughts I had at that point in the week, at least how I recall them.

I’m glad we could chat later throughout the week.

This post by Kirby was liked by: dfan

Post #1419 Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:22 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 81
Was liked: 128
KGS: lepore
Kirby wrote:
Does the book have a follow up for the hane?

I don't have that Go Seigen book (or at least I can't find it, but these two games may be of interest:

http://ps.waltheri.net/database/game/25058/ (basically the top half of the board is identical to your game)

http://ps.waltheri.net/database/game/26697/ (looks at the followup you ask about)

Post #1420 Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:26 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
About Go Seigen's attachment ladder maker, it's certainly a fun move that wins kudos points, but I'm not sure it's actually that good. I used to like it (I don't play b14 joseki anymore so no longer reach opportunities for it) and I've played it a few times, I remember one time against Andrew Kay 4d in a tournament, he fixed the ladder, let me bust through but in a review Jeff Chang 6d said it was bad for me as the profit from breaking through at d13 isn't so big. This was with just a white 4-4 in lower left so white can just knight's move there to reduce black profit (usually the colours are other way round so I gave black lower right shimari). It's worth noting that in the first pro game posted that was a black corner so breaking through was building something decent for black. In Kirby's game it's even worse for black as white has already reduced that area with c6.

[go]$$Bc Jeff 6d / Chinese pros said bad for black
$$ | . . . O . . . . . 2 X . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . 3 O 4 . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . O 5 1 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . 6 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . X . . . . |

Losing that game against Andrew Kay made me chicken out of playing it in one of our title match games so I just extended instead of wedging. I thought I'd heard Korean pros with their love of territory thought that was ok for white, but Go says it's bad plus I heard after our game Yoonyoung Kim 4p thought it was bad for me too (Guo Juan 5p did a commentary on that game: https://internetgoschool.com/lesson.vhtml?ls_id=950).

I get the feeling that in his 21st century go books written after his playing career Go Seigen has the luxury of being able to suggest interesting moves without having to prove their effectiveness against top pros trying to show he is wrong (I think a lot of what he says is probably right, and the way he foreshadowed many AI ideas is extra impressive, but I wouldn't assume everything he suggests is best). Iirc Jeff reported something like Chinese pros had studied the attachment and decided it wasn't actually so great. I wonder what strong bots think of it, sucking at ladders would make their anaylsis less valid.

About white's resisting with hane, you have to be very careful with those pending ladders. I remember another time I used the attachment in the Pandanet European team league. My opponent tried to resist the attachment but I outread him with another ladder using the aji of the wedge invasion:

Maybe white just takes the stone, although you can then ladder did you lose too much for it? For 7 black faces a bit of a conundrum: you'd really like to atari at l18 and make white connect, but white might not be so kind and fight the big ko at j17 and then those bad exchanges you made to make the ladder work were for nothing. And if you directly ladder then white likes having the k18 option to make that group stronger. Or 5 could be e14 atari and break through for another trade.

[go]$$Bc
$$ | . . X O . . . . . 5 O . 6 O . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . O 3 . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . 4 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |

So as white didn't connect just cut the knight move like you threatened to if white tenuki:

[go]$$Bc
$$ | . . . 3 O . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |

This post by Uberdude was liked by: Kirby

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 96  Next