It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Difference between "reading" and "visualizing"?
Post #21 Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:10 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
BTW:

Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$Bc Black to play
$$ +------------
$$ | 2 3 1 O X .
$$ | . 4 . O X .
$$ | O O O O X .
$$ | X X X X X .
$$ | . . . . . .[/go]

:w4: makes ko.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #22 Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:04 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 145
Was liked: 17
Thank you!

Obviously I did not think far enough to see that sacrificing those stones is worth it.

jlt wrote:
Jika wrote:
Seki??

[go]$$Bc
$$ +------------
$$ | . 2 4 O X .
$$ | 1 3 . O X .
$$ | O O O O X .
$$ | X X X X X .
$$ | . . . . . .[/go]

[go]$$Bc
$$ +------------
$$ | 6 2 4 O X .
$$ | 1 3 5 O X .
$$ | O O O O X .
$$ | X X X X X .
$$ | . . . . . .[/go]

[go]$$Bc
$$ +------------
$$ | O O O O X .
$$ | . 7 . O X .
$$ | O O O O X .
$$ | X X X X X .
$$ | . . . . . .[/go]

Dead.

Plus, I thought in this, black would be lost (square 4), if white takes A18.
Didn't think of black's throw in-atari.
Obviously, sacrificing stones for a bigger goal is not on my mind (yet, I hope).

[go]$$Bc Black to play
$$ +------------
$$ | 2 . 1 O X .
$$ | . . . O X .
$$ | O O O O X .
$$ | X X X X X .
$$ | . . . . . .[/go]

Last edited by Jika on Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post #23 Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:17 am 
Lives with ko

@Bill:

Thank you for making full-SGF, I overlooked (and hopefully learned) much there!

Thanks also for explaining the ko terminology in such simple words.
I had heard of a move the opponent has to answer, but did not know this was a ko-threat (I thought a ko-threat was threatening to make a ko situation).

Post #24 Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:11 am 
Honinbo

Jika wrote:
@Bill:

Thank you for making full-SGF, I overlooked (and hopefully learned) much there!

Thanks also for explaining the ko terminology in such simple words.
I had heard of a move the opponent has to answer, but did not know this was a ko-threat (I thought a ko-threat was threatening to make a ko situation).

I misspoke slightly. A player can ignore a ko threat, and sometimes that's the right thing to do. ;)

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #25 Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:35 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 9
Was liked: 11
Tygem: shiva
So, what is exactly our community's distinction on reading v. visualization?

I definitely "see" the stones on the board when I am reading through variations.. but only up to a certain point. Once I'm reading deeper than 15 stones or so, and it becomes more global, I lose focus on "seeing" the stones, and the reading becomes more logical based on where I know stones should be, knowing where I should play globally based on what I expect the context of the board to be. For example, say I read a variation where I get a corner and my opponent gets the outside, then I won't focus on memorizing the exact stone placements, but understanding that in that variation the opponent has 'thickness' and visualize another pattern in a different area of the board. Is this sort of the distinction we have come up with?

On a side note, how deep can you guys read? I'm around 1D and I have been able to count a little over 20 moves deep in a large life and death fight expanding from a corner into the side/center. Makes me wonder what our resident 3/4/5D and higher can do.. and by extension a pro.

Post #26 Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:43 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 491
Hades12 wrote:
I'm around 1D and I have been able to count a little over 20 moves deep in a large life and death fight.

I am 5k on some servers (KGS, Fox) and 8k EGF, and I've never been able to read more than 10 moves deep (except special situations like ladders). I regularly misread move 2. No wonder I am so far from dan level.

Post #27 Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:48 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Hades12 wrote:
On a side note, how deep can you guys read? I'm around 1D and I have been able to count a little over 20 moves deep in a large life and death fight expanding from a corner into the side/center. Makes me wonder what our resident 3/4/5D and higher can do.. and by extension a pro.

Here's a 1 hour online tournament game I annotated with some of my in-game reading: http://eidogo.com/#300G4navp. I'd recommend Lee Sedol's commented games books to see what a top pro reads during a game. Accuracy in breadth is generally more important than high-depth (though for something like a fight ending with semeai you sometimes need the big depth too): no point reading 40 moves deep when you missed opponent's good move 4. Pros are not immune to such reading failures, I've seen plenty of commentaries with things like "I didn't expect that reply" ie didn't read enough choices for move 2.

This post by Uberdude was liked by: Bill Spight

Post #28 Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:26 pm 
Lives with ko

jlt wrote:
Hades12 wrote:
I'm around 1D and I have been able to count a little over 20 moves deep in a large life and death fight.

I am 5k on some servers (KGS, Fox) and 8k EGF, and I've never been able to read more than 10 moves deep (except special situations like ladders). I regularly misread move 2. No wonder I am so far from dan level.

I try not to get in a situation where I HAVE to read that deep. Most of the time if you get that far into reading, you are in some type of trouble. It's at the point where win or lose that fight, and you win or lose the game. If you watch dwyrin's YouTube basics, you will see that he focuses a lot on direction of play/sente and he can regular dispose of mid-level dans easily. I would say you can get to dan level only being able to read five-ten moves deep, as long as you are perfectly correct in your reading.

Post #29 Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:43 pm 
Lives with ko

Uberdude wrote:
Hades12 wrote:

Here's a 1 hour online tournament game I annotated with some of my in-game reading: http://eidogo.com/#300G4navp. I'd recommend Lee Sedol's commented games books to see what a top pro reads during a game. Accuracy in breadth is generally more important than high-depth (though for something like a fight ending with semeai you sometimes need the big depth too): no point reading 40 moves deep when you missed opponent's good move 4. Pros are not immune to such reading failures, I've seen plenty of commentaries with things like "I didn't expect that reply" ie didn't read enough choices for move 2.

Thank you for posting this game. I appreciated your comments and it was insightful. It encourages me to continue to work on reading seriously/playing slower games, rather than normal time settings and just playing based off of intuition/shape (which is my normal playing mentality).

Post #30 Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:48 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
IMO, reading depth and breadth are difficult to quantify objectively. The reason is because all moves are not equally likely to be correct. As a result, through training life and death problems, playing lots of games, and generally getting experience with a variety of shapes and situations, the initial selection of moves becomes better.

Someone who just learned the rules of go, having a strong capacity for holding variations in their mind, might very well be able to read a good number of moves wide and deep. But the moves they are choosing to read are unlikely to be very good, and it's unlikely that they'll end up with a good result, even if they read, say 15~20 sequences - they were just all the wrong sequences.

In contrast, a pro player has the intuition and instinct to play a most-likely-to-be-correct move almost instantly, without really "reading" deep or wide.

In some sense, a player's "reading" also includes the training they've already done, which allows them to choose better moves - and as a result, they don't have to really iterate as many sequences in their mind while they're actually playing a game in order to get to the right move.

This post by Kirby was liked by 2 people: Bill Spight, Jika

Post #31 Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:05 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 886
Was liked: 527
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
Kirby wrote:
Someone who just learned the rules of go, having a strong capacity for holding variations in their mind, might very well be able to read a good number of moves wide and deep. But the moves they are choosing to read are unlikely to be very good, and it's unlikely that they'll end up with a good result, even if they read, say 15~20 sequences - they were just all the wrong sequences.

In contrast, a pro player has the intuition and instinct to play a most-likely-to-be-correct move almost instantly, without really "reading" deep or wide.

There was a study done at some point that came to the conclusion that chess players read the most (that is, have the greatest number of nodes in their search tree) at expert level (probably the equivalent of 1-2d in go). Weaker players didn't have the ability to read more than that, and masters didn't need to because they did so much pruning, and didn't painstakingly consider and discard moves and variations that they could tell were irrelevant.

This post by dfan was liked by 2 people: Bill Spight, Kirby

Post #32 Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:46 am 
Lives with ko

dfan wrote:
Kirby wrote:

There was a study done at some point that came to the conclusion that chess players read the most (that is, have the greatest number of nodes in their search tree) at expert level (probably the equivalent of 1-2d in go). Weaker players didn't have the ability to read more than that, and masters didn't need to because they did so much pruning, and didn't painstakingly consider and discard moves and variations that they could tell were irrelevant.

This makes sense if you think of reading variations as a tree. A pro can just go from the trunk to the top, if we argue that the top of the tree is the right move. An amateur takes detours at lower branches and spends time reading through the twigs that a pro passes over getting to the higher branches, close to the correct move.

Post #33 Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:44 pm 
Lives with ko

I've come to this conclusion myself - where I think my opponent's move might be is very often not what actually happens :lol:

I'm using the "analyse game" function on OGS with enthusiasm, but I think I don't see the best moves.

However it is interesting that, when playing against myself with the analyse function, I find it much easier to kill my own groups than my opponent's.
I think this shows that my opponent has the better/stronger position.

(Does one say "opponent"?)

Post #34 Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:16 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 886
Was liked: 527
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
Jika wrote:
(Does one say "opponent"?)
Yes, your entire comment was perfect idiomatic English. :tmbup:

Post #35 Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:46 am 
Honinbo

Hades12 wrote:
This makes sense if you think of reading variations as a tree. A pro can just go from the trunk to the top, if we argue that the top of the tree is the right move. An amateur takes detours at lower branches and spends time reading through the twigs that a pro passes over getting to the higher branches, close to the correct move.

Sure. And at the very start of the game as black, I'm "reading" 361 branches, right? ;-)

I feel like there should be different English words to distinguish between move selection guided by intuition or logic, and consciously considering alternatives that aren't brought about immediately by intuition. Maybe it's a part of visualization. Or maybe we could call it "iteration"? Or maybe "calculation"?

I'd like to allow the term "reading" to include shortcuts or heuristics obtained through intuition and/or other means, since that's often what happens at higher levels of play.

Post #36 Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:57 am 
Lives with ko

Kirby wrote:
Hades12 wrote:

Sure. And at the very start of the game as black, I'm "reading" 361 branches, right? ;-)

I feel like there should be different English words to distinguish between move selection guided by intuition or logic, and consciously considering alternatives that aren't brought about immediately by intuition. Maybe it's a part of visualization. Or maybe we could call it "iteration"? Or maybe "calculation"?

I'd like to allow the term "reading" to include shortcuts or heuristics obtained through intuition and/or other means, since that's often what happens at higher levels of play.

361 factorial. Good luck!

Post #37 Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:54 am 
Honinbo

Kirby wrote:

Well, only 55, right? :lol:

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #38 Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:50 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 180
Bill Spight wrote:

Bill is talking about symmetry --- all rotations and reflections are equivalent. The only unique point for the first move is the center point. All others at least four equivalents and most have eight.

Post #39 Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:32 pm 
Honinbo

Mike Novack wrote:
Bill Spight wrote:

Bill is talking about symmetry --- all rotations and reflections are equivalent. The only unique point for the first move is the center point. All others at least four equivalents and most have eight.

However simple it may be, reducing search space for symmetry is a form of heuristic, reducing search space like we've been discussing - isn't it?

Anyway, I'm just joking about the whole thing - the main thing I'd like to say is that it'd be good to distinguish between the conscious calculation that can happen during reading vs. intuition, shortcuts, heuristics, and logic/knowledge based shortcuts that happen during the process of "reading".