It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: European Go Congress 2019 ?
Post #21 Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:55 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Thank you for sharing your game, Herman. My favorite move is T13 at :w62:. I like it because it surprised me at first, and I suppose the intention is for connecting, as what happened in the game.

If black were to S12 after T13 to try to prevent a connection, is it a bad move? White could ignore S12, too, with R15 I suppose, since capturing those two stones doesn't give an eye. Or maybe the connection is not a big deal.

Anyway, that part of the game is interesting to me.

Post #22 Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:00 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 202
Was liked: 1087
GD Posts: 645
Universal go server handle: herminator
Kirby wrote:
Thank you for sharing your game, Herman. My favorite move is T13 at :w62:. I like it because it surprised me at first, and I suppose the intention is for connecting, as what happened in the game.

If black were to S12 after T13 to try to prevent a connection, is it a bad move? White could ignore S12, too, with R15 I suppose, since capturing those two stones doesn't give an eye. Or maybe the connection is not a big deal.

Anyway, that part of the game is interesting to me.

:w62: was a mistake, and should have been at S12. In the game, black gets P15 in sente a few moves later and then white needs to capture at S17 anyway, so it is better to play S12, R15, Q15, Q14, S17. White doesn't connect under then, but black gets one less forcing move and white no longer has a weakness at S12 later, so overall black's group remains weaker. The few points lost due to not connecting under are easily less valuable than that weakness.

Black could have played S12, S11, T14, T12, R15 to prevent the connection under, but that would have been an excellent result for white, as the capture makes white even stronger.

This post by HermanHiddema was liked by: Kirby

Post #23 Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:24 am 
Honinbo

Thanks - I thought connecting under was valuable, but I suppose it's no big deal considering the balance of strength between groups.

Go is hard to evaluate :scratch:

Post #24 Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:34 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Like Herman says black s12 is a bad tesuji to prevent connection because it makes white stronger and white shouldn't be trying to connect anyway so there's no point stopping it. Black p15 sente of game was aji keshi and is better to not play as it loses s18 choice which removes all white points and eyes in corner so with s11 peep too white becomes eyeless and attackable. Better to let Black cut in gote and live in corner independently with good endgame.

Also white shouldn't exchange q15 q14 because (although it makes false eye) it means white p12 is no longer sente for q14 escape (atari incoming) and that makes a big difference to black being able to break through at o11.

Backing up White's cap seems a bit much given the weak shape to the side.

This post by Uberdude was liked by: Kirby

Post #25 Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:31 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 9
Was liked: 11
Tygem: shiva
How old is Yann? Such rapid improvement could stem from a younger player, who is going to grow naturally at a much faster rate, combined with a lot of study.

Post #26 Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:50 am 
Honinbo

HermanHiddema wrote:
@Uberdude: No, I didn't really talk to him besides the usual pleasantries before the game and a short discussion about :w38: afterwards :)

Now that we're discussing the game, I'm curious about the discussion you guys had on :w38: ;-)

Post #27 Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:40 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 270
Was liked: 147
Universal go server handle: gennan
Maybe Yann is an internet player who doesn't play many RL tournament, so his official rank lags his actual strength?

I played against a Belgian 1k (Nicola Flagothier). After the game he told me he is 5d on Tygem, but doesn't play many RL tournaments. He got 8:2 in the main tournament and I felt like I was playing someone of my level (3d, rating 2305 before EGC). We talked a bit about Yann and Nicola told me Yann is 6d on KGS.

Post #28 Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:53 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 491
Here is his FFG page:
http://ffg.jeudego.org/php/affichePersonne.php?id=11653

Post #29 Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:48 am 
Gosei

Kirby wrote:
HermanHiddema wrote:
@Uberdude: No, I didn't really talk to him besides the usual pleasantries before the game and a short discussion about :w38: afterwards :)

Now that we're discussing the game, I'm curious about the discussion you guys had on :w38: ;-)

Oh, nothing in depth. He just said he hadn't anticipated that move at all, and was therefore unpleasantly surprised by it. :)

Post #30 Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:54 am 
Gosei

Marcel Grünauer wrote:
I also have some questions about the game.

56: why not block at r14?

70 saves two stones, but Black is already alive; was it bigger to take sente to play on the left side?

91: similarly, Black is already alive on both sides, so the o9 and p9 stones are not cutting stones. Was it better for Black to take sente to play on the left side?

:w56: => Seems I have a notation order error. The :b71: :w72: was already played before :b55:. I should have just blocked anyway. I was trying to prevent black from getting a clamp in sente later, but I missed the placement :b59:

:w70: and :b91: => Yes, both players are far too focussed on the right at this point in the game, and both should have played the left much earlier. In the end I'm lucky I went there first.

Post #31 Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:41 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Hades12 wrote:
How old is Yann? Such rapid improvement could stem from a younger player, who is going to grow naturally at a much faster rate, combined with a lot of study.

gennan wrote:
Maybe Yann is an internet player who doesn't play many RL tournament, so his official rank lags his actual strength?

I played against a Belgian 1k (Nicola Flagothier). After the game he told me he is 5d on Tygem, but doesn't play many RL tournaments. He got 8:2 in the main tournament and I felt like I was playing someone of my level (3d, rating 2305 before EGC). We talked a bit about Yann and Nicola told me Yann is 6d on KGS.

Hello, I can give you certain indications ^^

Tygem rank : 7d ( soon 6d ^^ )
IGS rank : 6d
KGS : 4d

Post #32 Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:19 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 41
Iagree that it is bad to leave the players without a place to play for one day during the congress. It seems that the organisers didn't care or were too busy to set up a backup plan, for example some restaurant.

Post #33 Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:02 am 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 786
Matti wrote:
It seems that the organisers didn't care or were too busy to set up a backup plan, for example some restaurant.

I suggested this to them, but they did not care.

Post #34 Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:13 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 270
Was liked: 147
Universal go server handle: gennan
The tournament booklet had adresses of about 10 bars nearby that hosted some go boards during the congress. I went to one of those bars (GIST) a couple of times and most often there were other go players, chatting, drinking Belgian beer and playing go.