It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 521 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Path to 9Dan, step by step.
Post #341 Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:18 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
hl782 wrote:
3) For financial support, I believe a donation of money to Go Associations would be a better for spreading information of the game as that money would be put into youth tournaments, more public events, and building of better infrastructure.

Quote:
To wrap this up, I'm not endorsing piracy in any way. From a legal perspective, intentionally torrenting books that are still within copyright is wrong - that's what I did a few years ago, and I apologize for that.

With respect, an apology is not enough. You need to back it up with action.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #342 Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:42 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 51
Was liked: 40
Here is a game I played today against a KGS2K. I've had lots of random W/L vs people of all ranks, but this is probably the best one.

Attachments:
OWQ5-toothbrush-reviewed.sgf [3.02 KiB]
Downloaded 662 times

Post #343 Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:08 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 9
Was liked: 11
Tygem: shiva
Bill Spight wrote:
hl782 wrote:
3) For financial support, I believe a donation of money to Go Associations would be a better for spreading information of the game as that money would be put into youth tournaments, more public events, and building of better infrastructure.

Quote:
To wrap this up, I'm not endorsing piracy in any way. From a legal perspective, intentionally torrenting books that are still within copyright is wrong - that's what I did a few years ago, and I apologize for that.

His actions could be not torrenting books anymore. The idea that he needs to make reparations is a personal belief. Not all people follow the same moral code. I think he is on a better path now, but again that is only my personal belief. As a college student, graduating from an Ivy League school, at this moment he probably doesn't have the finances to make reparations. I hope in the future he will do something when he is able, but that is on him.

Post #344 Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:12 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 9
Was liked: 11
Tygem: shiva
I think your last game was very decisive. You had a calm level of play. Keep it up and you will be back to shodan.

Post #345 Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:53 am 
Honinbo

Hades12 wrote:
Bill Spight wrote:
hl782 wrote:

Quote:

His actions could be not torrenting books anymore.

That's inaction.

Quote:
The idea that he needs to make reparations is a personal belief. Not all people follow the same moral code.

It is not a question of a moral code. He believes his past actions were wrong. It is a question of what is good for him, as well as others, and for go. As a practical matter, an apology is not enough. Talk is cheap. The apology needs to be backed up with action.

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #346 Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:21 am 
Lives in gote

I'd be glad to carry this discussion elsewhere, just not in this journal. I want this to be about my progress and keeping myself accountable - not about ethical debates regarding torrenting.

Post #347 Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:08 pm 
Honinbo

hl782 wrote:
I'd be glad to carry this discussion elsewhere, just not in this journal. I want this to be about my progress and keeping myself accountable - not about ethical debates regarding torrenting.

I think that all parties have said their say. But, to be clear, I was not talking about the ethics of torrenting. :)

Bonne chance! :D

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #348 Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:54 am 
Lives in gote

Yesterday, I visited two Korean go clubs around my area. I had the opportunity to play 2 teaching games, one against a Tygem 9 Dan and the other against a Tygem 4 Dan.

The first game against the 9 Dan he let me play even - and tested me on various situations. He rightly destroyed me and taught me well. He said my biggest weaknesses were lacking familiarity with whole board situation in picking openings, being unwilling to sacrifice useless stones, not playing severely/tightly enough (thus leading to inefficiency), and occasionally missing big points. He was nice, occasionally blunt, and a good teacher. Only problem was that the actual 'club' was almost like a warehouse where people just come to gamble... and it wasn't a good environment at all. It was also $10 per game, so I don't think I'll be going back anytime soon.

The second game against the 4 Dan (the club's owner) was a 3 stone handicap game.The facilities here were MUCH cleaner and actually felt like a dojo (which I loved). I thought I played rather well against the 4 Dan, but in the end lost a capturing race that determined the game. He said that the fee is $15 for unlimited games, and that there would be plenty of people here to play against and improve. He estimated me to be around 1-2kyu and said I had plenty of room to improve. I think I'll try to go here on a weekly basis. It was actually a lot more fun playing against real humans rather than just repeated games online.

On a separate study note, I've recently finished re-browsing through GGPB Vol. 4 and now I'm going through 1001 L&D Problems and Get Strong at Tesuji. For GGPB Vol.4, I did alright except the final level 4 problems at the very end (I forgot how challenging some of those could be).

Last edited by hl782 on Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post #349 Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:11 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 491
hl782 wrote:
Yesterday, I visited two Korean go clubs around my area.

Just curious. What is a Korean go club? A go club run by Koreans? A go club where people are supposed to speak korean? A go club that doesn't accept non-Koreans?

Post #350 Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:19 am 
Lives in gote

Owned by a Korean, and the main language spoken was Korean. People of all race/ethnicity and all languages are welcome though. I'm gonna go again on Saturday with my friend Justin Teng tygem8D.

Post #351 Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:26 am 
Lives in gote

A few more games from here and there.

Something I'm realizing is that intuitively, my overall sense of direction and opening is actually not bad (confirmed from some higher dans).

The problem is 1) my sense of judgement is nonexistent, and 2) my reading skills have deteriorated quite a lot. Almost all of my losses since restarting have come having one of my groups dying due to a misread OR just losing a game where i was ahead by 20+.

And of course, still prone to playing many games tilted or with a glass or 2 of wine. I just gotta stop doing those lol.

Attachments:
Vs 2K Win.sgf [3.35 KiB]
Downloaded 592 times
VS 1K Loss.sgf [4.3 KiB]
Downloaded 593 times

Post #352 Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:07 pm 
Lives in gote

Go club today was fun. Beat Justin with a 9 stone handi and then lost in a 6 stone handi. Had him but I misread a L&D Problem RIP.

Also, went 1-2 against a guy who was about a 1-Dan. I'm guessing thats Tygem 1D and so about 1-2kyu KGS. Seems about right.

Post #353 Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:47 am 
Lives in gote

2 more games - a win vs 2k and a loss vs 1k.

The win I made it unnecessarily difficult after a misread of the left hand side. But read through a sequence later in the game to seal the W.

The loss was close. I made got greedy and made a mistake on the right that cost me. I should have won this.

Attachments:
Vs 2K Win.sgf [6.76 KiB]
Downloaded 553 times
VS 1K Loss.sgf [5.96 KiB]
Downloaded 551 times

Post #354 Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:39 am 
Lives in gote

2 more games. Win vs 2k, Loss vs 1Dan. Nearly had the Dan too...

For problems, just doing a run-through of Get Strong at Tesuji, and Maeda Tsumego Vol. 1 before bed. The Maeda Tsumego is excellent for those who can get their hands on a copy. For theory, I've read about half of "The Direction of Play" and started to read through Lee Chang Ho's Endgame Techniques.

Attachments:
erim123-toothbrush-reviewed.sgf [4.78 KiB]
Downloaded 524 times
mccb-toothpaste-reviewed.sgf [5.51 KiB]
Downloaded 547 times

Post #355 Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:06 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Are you referring to this book? https://www.niggemann.com/en/life-and-death-12203.html

Or something else?

Post #356 Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:56 am 
Lives in gote

I am referring to these. The book you linked has selected problems from this series!

Post #357 Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:37 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 490
Was liked: 365
Some ideas on the opening and checking with Lizzie ; )

Post #358 Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:57 pm 
Lives in gote

Thanks for the review. I've been trying out lizzie to review my games here and there - but I feel like some of the suggestions for plays it gives me are beyond my level of reading/understanding, so I'm still hesitant to use it frequently.

Anyways won 2, lost 3 on KGS - all on 2-1kyu games over the last 2 days. Still doing Maeda Tsumego and reading over "The Direction of Play" recently. I don't understand all of the book. It's a pretty entertaining read though.

Post #359 Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:26 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 16
Was liked: 2
OGS: DeprivedWaste
hl782 wrote:
Thanks for the review. I've been trying out lizzie to review my games here and there - but I feel like some of the suggestions for plays it gives me are beyond my level of reading/understanding, so I'm still hesitant to use it frequently.

But, that is perfect then for learning isn't it? If they were not beyond your level of reading / understanding, there would not be really anything to gain for you? At least if you knew how to apply the knowledge you would then have.

So I would recommend you to use Lizzie, experiment around if you don't understand why it prefers a move, play moves you think would negate it, see what it thinks and learn from it. If you still have trouble understanding, you ask other people about it and so on.

I've seen this attitude between Go players a lot of time, and if I may be frank, I think it is one of the biggest obstacles for progress, it is quite close to giving up progress "It is beyond my understanding!" Man we would still sit in caves then. No it is not, everyone can learn to understand moves.

Sometimes it might take a bit more time and you need to play stuff out, or ask others, but you don't need to learn rocket science first, or unlock some mysterious asian secrets to understand why a move was played, sometimes it was simply one of multiple equal options, or to strengthen a group, gaining influence towards the centre, threaten a group, securing a base, taking a base away, preparing an attack or other follow up moves or a combination and so on.

So no, it is not beyond your abilities to understand, it is not beyond your abilities to learn, you simply choose to not make the effort for whatever reasons.

And I don't mean that to attack you, or be aggressive, you have so much potential inside of you, and you are already making the effort to unlock it and are obviously unlocking it, by posting a study journal here, by making the effort to continuously study Go, but don't hamper yourself, I can not recommend LZ enough for someone to study the game in its depths, even if it might not be perfect, or always reliable, it is still a great tool.

This post by DeprivedWaste was liked by: gennan

Post #360 Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:06 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Something I would add to that is you don't need to take LZ's top line as the one to learn and adopt into your repertoire of what you'd do in similar situations in future. If your move is 1% worse than LZ's #1 then don't worry at all. But say it's 10% worse, but LZ's #1 is some really complicated sequence. Probably there is a #2 or #5 choice that's quite a bit better than yours and easier for you to understand and learn from.

This post by Uberdude was liked by 2 people: gennan, Kirby

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 521 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 27  Next