It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 96  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kirby's Study Journal
Post #1581 Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:04 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Thanks - I’ll do my best.

About the problems, what I mean is that I have a lot of problem books, and these are definitely not among the hardest.

I guess hard problems may not be everything though.

Post #1582 Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:22 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Kirby wrote:

About the problems, what I mean is that I have a lot of problem books, and these are definitely not among the hardest.

I read a book by a poker player who was also a bridge expert. Before going out to play poker he would work two bridge problems. If he didn't get both of them right, he wouldn't play poker that day. ;)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #1583 Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:30 am 
Honinbo

Bill Spight wrote:
Kirby wrote:

I read a book by a poker player who was also a bridge expert. Before going out to play poker he would work two bridge problems. If he didn't get both of them right, he wouldn't play poker that day. ;)

It's a little off topic, but back when I lived in Japan, I had a lot of scholarship money. And of course, the best use of that money was to buy manga and video games.

One of the games I bought was this one:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_Age ... utes_a_Day!

It's a mildly amusing game, which has various exercises to try to keep your mind sharp (simple timed arithmetic problems, etc.).

One of the daily games was one for practicing short term memory. It'd present increasing quantities of numbers, and for a given set, you'd have to remember what those numbers were after about a second, and then indicate the relative ordering of those numbers, as they had appeared on the screen.

It wasn't a scientific study or anything, but I found that when I performed well on this short term memory game, I'd often feel sharp when playing go. But if it was a day where my short term memory performance was bad, I'd have a rough time reading.

I didn't feel the same correlation for the other types of problems (arithmetic, etc.).

I haven't played this game in awhile, but I wonder if my feeling would still hold. I suppose I could use that to decide whether to play in a tournament: if my short term memory is sharp, then my go might be, too...(?)

Post #1584 Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:50 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 491
Did you find out why on certain days your short term memory was bad? Lack of sleep / being tired / being hungry / having other thoughts in mind / other?

Post #1585 Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:08 pm 
Honinbo

jlt wrote:
Did you find out why on certain days your short term memory was bad? Lack of sleep / being tired / being hungry / having other thoughts in mind / other?

Hmm, I don’t recall. It just seemed that on some days, I could get a lot further than on others.

That being said, this was back in 2005, and my long term memory is also faulty. I still have the game - maybe I should make a more reproducible experiment.

Post #1586 Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:26 pm 
Honinbo

I’m bored in my hotel room, so I’ll document my experience at the first annual Midwest Open (spoiler alert: I’m having a good time!)

I’ll start by saying that it’s very convenient to have a cool tournament like this so close to home. My venture started on Friday evening after seeing my kids off to bed. Since the tournament is only 2.5 hours from my home, I could enjoy a relaxing dinner with my family before heading out.

The drive went smoothly. I half listened to some go lectures in my car, and tried to stay alert. The roads were nice until just before I arrived at my hotel. I got in around 10pm to the quaint hotel I had booked. The hotel is about 1 mile from the playing venue - walkable. They offer free breakfast and parking, but I was disappointed to find that there was no gym. Oh well.

I unpacked my things, settled into my room, texted my wife, and went to bed.

After waking up, I freshened up and went to the hotel breakfast area. I quickly recognized some go players, including Eric Yoder, an AGA 6d. He’s been part of Inseong’s program, and is an all around nice guy.

I chat with folks a bit, then headed to the playing area. There was an icy rain, so I drove instead of walking.

I arrived at the venue, and checked out the facilities. Overall, quite nice.

Here’s a picture of the main playing area:

And then the review area, mostly for Kim Yoonyoung 8p to review games:

The next thing of notice were the personalized name tags. It was a nice touch:

And oddly, I was given some sort of bag (more on that later):

—-

So that was all cool. What to do next? Well, registration was still going on, so I did my best to chat with folks, and meet new people. So I made rounds visiting various cliques, introduced myself, and chat.

Around 9am, there was an opening ceremony. Devin, the organizer, gave a short speech, and this guy played several musical instruments to get things rolling:

His performance was unique, but I enjoyed it. He did some music with guitar and harmonica as well, along with another piece with a different instrument I don’t recall the name of. I have some videos of the performance if you’re interested.

—-

Anyway, after this, Devin explained some unique aspects of this tournament:

1.) Except for the first pairing, the main section (not masters) is self paired with computer assistance. It means that when you’re done playing, you can utilize their software to find another player to play.

2.) There’s a reason for the bags. Namely, in the evening, there are activities like go trivia, puzzles, and mini games. Doing well on those activities earns you coin tokens. Furthermore, whenever you win a tournament game, you get coin tokens. You can use coin tokens to buy handicap stones in simultaneous games against Kim Yoonyoung 8p. And if you win, you earn - you guessed it - coin tokens.

So what’s the deal with these coin tokens? Well, if your (self-chosen) team has the most coin tokens at the end of the tournament, you win one of these Felix swords:

And of course, there are other prizes and trophies, too, for doing well in your division (there are state championship trophies, too - but not for Michigan, so I cannot win one):

So that was all cool. After some more logistics, the tournament began. Here’s a picture of my first opponent (I asked if he was ok with the picture):

I’ll continue with the game in the next post.

Post #1587 Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:34 pm 
Honinbo

Prior to my first game, I felt some confidence. I’ve studied some, and I felt I could do well. I think I’m stronger than AGA 2d, so I felt like I could win. Furthermore, Kim Yoonyoung chat with me in Korean a bit shortly before the game. She kind of teased me, asking why I was still 2d. I didn’t have much to say.

So I felt good going into this game. I was white:

It’s a partial game record because I was interrupted for lunch while recalling it. The main line isn’t what I played - I died on the right. Needless to say, I lost.

The opening felt great for me, but I misread the lower right. And after that, it seemed over.

It’s tough to do diagrams on my phone, so you’ll have to make due with the SGF for now. Anyway, my biggest problem this game was dying on the side - it was due to overplay.

I felt sad, but Benjamin and Eric were going to lunch, so I drove them to get chicken. We ate out, and I returned to play another game.

Post #1588 Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:40 pm 
Honinbo

The tournament is self paired, so I used the software to find another 2d to play. Finally, I found somebody, and we played a game. I was white:

I misread around move 80 or so and didn’t see the whole picture. At move 95, I felt a twinge if despair. But then I played as in 96. It felt wonderful. I won this game.

On one hand, I left that ahi of him moving out his stones for way too long. I feel bad that I didn’t read things out clearly. I didn’t have a full plan for F13, and that was risky and bad.

But on the other hand, the sequence at 95 felt beautiful. I loved that part.

Post #1589 Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:47 pm 
Honinbo

The setup for the third game was a little weird. Normally in a tournament, I don’t play the same guy twice. But since this one is self-paired, it can happen.

As it turns out, the 2d who beat me in the first game watched the tail end of my second game. And then he asked us both if either of us wanted to play. There weren’t other 2d available then, I guess.

So I played the same guy again, this time playing as black:

I omitted the last part, but basically, I killed the center and won the game.

It was weird playing the same guy again, but somehow satisfying to win against the guy who beat me.

Post #1590 Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:51 pm 
Honinbo

Shortly after this, go trivia and puzzle activities began. I focused on trivia, and our team got several coin tokens. I watched some of the simultaneous games after this, but our team will do a simultaneous game tomorrow, not today.

After that, I went out to eat at a pizza place with folks. Then headed back to the hotel.

It was fun. I’m looking forward to tomorrow.

This post by Kirby was liked by: xela

Post #1591 Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:46 am 
Honinbo

Reviewed my second game again. Seems there might be a way for black, even after the move I was proud of. Even so, I still like that move.

Namely, at move 95, black can extend up instead of down, and I’m dead. Even later, black has a descent in one variation.

Still, cool variations.

Post #1592 Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:14 am 
Honinbo

I lost my 4th game. I was black:

I misread the top right and that was a big loss. I think I was too aggressive before that, too.

Post #1593 Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:20 am 
Honinbo

So far in this tournament, I feel a pattern, both for my wins and losses.

I aim for big profit by attack or kill or in the case of the first game, splitting unreasonably on the right.

If I get my way, I win big. If I don’t, I lose big.

One obvious way to fix this is deeper reading. If I can see the variations where I explode, I can avoid them. But reading still has a limit.

So in cases where I cannot see everything, I guess I should refrain from proceeding: there may be bombs ahead.

But then, it follows, what do I do if it’s unclear and I don’t like the path that avoids possible bombs?

I suppose, I need to get used to being satisfied for less...? Maybe it depends on the probability of a bomb.

Post #1594 Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:17 pm 
Honinbo

I was white for my last game.

I “won”, but it feels like a loss. Black was winning by a lot - so much that I don’t remember where things went wrong for him:

Somehow, I made a moyo like shape on the right. Black tried to invade, and I killed it.

So it doesn’t really feel like a win. I think my problem this time was misreading. That ko shape on the bottom was terrible for me. It’s questionable that I should have gone for a big moyo like that.

Post #1595 Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:04 pm 
Honinbo

Played a casual game with a friend, Jake. He is 4d AGA. I played with 2 stone handicap, and won by resignation.

The awards ceremony was nice: quick, but effective. Folks got prizes.

Now seeing what folks are doing before making the drive home.

So that sums it up. The tournament is over. I ended with a score of 3-2 as a 2 dan. I think I can do better than that, but this tournament has shown that I need more:

* Reading - no brainer
* Patience - I cant try to gain 20 points immediately. It’s too risky, and there are often bombs
* Maturity - I need to do better at time management and controlling my emotions. The casual game with Jake was a lot easier for me because the pressure wasn’t there - or maybe he wasn’t trying as hard, either.

Anyway, I had a good time. But i can see I have a long way to go.

This post by Kirby was liked by: ez4u

Post #1596 Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:58 am 
Honinbo

I took a break yesterday, due to the tournament, but played another game on fox today.

I won, but the game was garbage.

Here it is:

I put a review in the SGF, but more than specific moves, I feel my mindset is wrong. Reflecting on the tournament, too, I think I can think of a way to describe my play recently: sloppy.

I'm about halfway through a book called, "Grit". The topic is about... Grit. Like so many others, the author talks about the famous topic of deliberate practice. She asked someone she believed to be an expert on this type of practice something to the effect of, "I run every day for health. I've put in thousands of hours over the last several years - more than the 10,000 supposedly required to become world class. Why am I not winning medals?"

The expert reflected on this, and asked some things about her practice: was she striving to beat her personal best time when she ran? Was she pushing herself for a longer or harder run? Was she exerting herself to stretch the limits of what she was capable of? The answer was no. She was running about the same way every day, just for health.

So while she spent thousands of hours on running - it wasn't a form of deliberate practice - she wasn't getting that much better at running. She was merely maintaining her current level.

---

That story comes to mind when I look at this garbage game, and reflect on some of the sloppiness I showed at the tournament this weekend. I'm playing go somewhat regularly now - not thousands of hours, but at least during lunch breaks. And I'm going to tournaments, facing the pressure of an opponent that's trying to win.

But am I pushing my limits? No - I'm just playing what I think I should play at my current level - I'm not stretching any boundaries.

I think I stretch myself sometimes when I do go problems. But I'm not stretching myself at all with a game like this. I'm just playing moves - reading out some minimal amount, and seeing what the result is.

A garbage game like this is just the same as an author who jogs for health. She's not going to improve much or win any medals. And with this kind of practice, neither will I.

This post by Kirby was liked by: ez4u

Post #1597 Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:20 am 
Honinbo

Could also have to do with time settings. It is hard to be serious with 10 minutes time, at least with my slow reading speed. Maybe a 30 minute game would be better. But then it’s hard to both play and review at lunch. Maybe I can just play at lunch then review in the evening... or maybe problems at lunch and all game stuff in evening...

Post #1598 Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:52 am 
Honinbo

Another video I translated. You can use the English captions to see them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPJmAUDCWSc

Looks like Choi Cheolhan publicly thanked me this time - haha

Post #1599 Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:10 pm 
Honinbo

I had the pleasure of receiving a teaching game from Young Sun Yoon 8p today. Since I've been translating videos for her, she kindly offered to do this for me.

Here is the game:

As a side note, you can ignore the rank. KGS ranks are really screwy right now, and I haven't played many games on this account. I'm still your typical low dan player.

Post #1600 Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:19 pm 
Honinbo

Highlights of the game

Thought 1
When I go to go clubs and stuff, there aren't many players around my level. So I often play handicap games. It's fun and faster to win if I overplay and terrorize the opponent. So I end up getting aggressive habits that don't work in practice, but work against my opponents.

I haven't played 1-on-1 with pros that often. And I think it's really valuable. I know the tricks I usually do won't work.

But there's also a downside. I find that sometimes when a pro plays out a sequence that I haven't read out yet, I trust that the pro has read it out. And I seem scared to play against their reading, because it seems hopeless. I think this isn't a huge problem - I just have to focus on reading it out and pushing back, even though the pro probably has already read it out.

Thought 2
I need to think big picture more. Inseong has said before that I only see the stones and not the territory.

I think this is a good example of that:
Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$B
$$ ---------------------------------------
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . X O O O . . . . . . . O X . . . . |
$$ | . X . X O X . O . . X . O X X X O . . |
$$ | . X X X O X . . . , . X X O X X . . . |
$$ | O X O O X O . . . . . . . O . . X X . |
$$ | . O O X . . . . . . . O . . X O O . . |
$$ | . O X X . . . . . . . . . . O . . . . |
$$ | . . O X . . . . . . . . . . . . . O . |
$$ | . . O . . . . . . . . . . X . X X B . |
$$ | . . . , . . . . . X . . . . . X O O . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . X O . . . |
$$ | . O . O . . . . . . . . . . . . O . . |
$$ | . X O . . . . . . . . . . . . O . . . |
$$ | . X X O . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . X O O X X . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | O X X X O X O . . , . X . X . X . O . |
$$ | . O O O O O X X X . . O X . . . X . . |
$$ | O . O . O X X . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . O O X X . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ ---------------------------------------[/go]

My thought right now is: how do I cut off her stones and attack? I'm thinking nothing of making points in the center. I'm only thinking of making points by capturing.

She pointed out that I can make a nice shape with this:
[go]$$B
$$ | O X O O X O . . . . . . . O . . X X . |
$$ | . O O X . . . . . . . O . . X O O . . |
$$ | . O X X . . . . . . . . . . O . . . . |
$$ | . . O X . . . . . . . . . . . . . O . |
$$ | . . O . . . . . . . . . . X . X X . . |
$$ | . X O . . . . . . . . . . B . O . . . |

But this move isn't on my radar. Why? Because it's not aiming toward attacking stones or capturing. My go brain is too simplified right now. I can also win by surrounding points...

Imagine that :scratch:

Thought 3
This is problematic:
[go]$$B
$$ | O X O O X O . . . . . . . O X . X X . |
$$ | . O O X . . . . . . . O a . X O O . . |
$$ | . O X X . . . . . . . . B X O O . O . |
$$ | . . O X . . . . . . . O O O X . X O . |
$$ | . . O . . . . . . . . . X X . X X X O |
$$ | . X O . . . . . . . . . . . . O . . . |

I know I considered 'a', which she said was better since it didn't make her stronger.

But why did I play as I did? My thought was that I'm making her *heavier*. So I can attack.

I've had this problem before. I miss the nuance, sometimes between making a stone *heavier* and making it *stronger*. Classic example here (ok, maybe fuseki is questionable, but that's irrelevant):
[go]$$B
$$ | . . . O . . . . . , . . . 3 . X . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2 O . . |
$$ | . . . , . . . . . , . . . . . B . . . |
$$ | . . . O . . . . . , . . . . . X . . . |

The classic theory is to kick that stone because the marked black stone can be used to attack white. So we kick to make black *heavier* and then attack.

But we are also making white stronger.

When is it good to make the opponent heavier at the expense of making them stronger? I don't really know, and I get it wrong a lot. I'm thinking it has to do with if I can immediately profit from an attack by making the opponent heavier. But to be honest, I get this wrong enough, that I don't really know :scratch:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 96  Next