It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New historical mention of go?
Post #1 Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:01 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 103
Was liked: 39
The book is Korean Games With Notes On The Corresponding Games Of China, and if you want to read along you can download it for free (legally) from here.

It's pretty old, making reference to "the current Hon In Bo, Do Saku." (It mentions Japan as well as Korea and China) and most of the book is about other games, including childrens' games as well as board games. Go is called here "Pa Tok - Pebble Game" and discussion of it starts on page 167 of the pdf or page 91 according to the book's internal count. The author spends more time discussing the culture around the game than the game itself, as he says he doesn't want to duplicate the efforts of Volpicelli's article (which I haven't read).

What is interesting is the discussion of the naming of corners according to musical notes (which I hadn't heard of before) and that go was considered one of the most distracting things for men after wine and women!

This book may be well known already to those who are interested in such things, but it was new to me and I hope it will be interesting to at least a few here. Let me know what you think!

Post subject: Re: New historical mention of go?
Post #2 Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:30 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 10
Was liked: 0
New link, same book mentioned https://library.um.edu.mo/ebooks/b25527745.pdf